American Idol (April 6-7) - The Top 9 (Oh! Darlin’…Beware of Simon’s Silver Hammer!)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Apr 6, 2010.

?

Whose Performance Will You Listen To Eight Days A Week? (Vote For Everybody You Like

1. Aaron Kelly

2 vote(s)
    3.0%
  2. Andrew Garcia

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  3. Casey James

37 vote(s)
    55.2%
  4. Crystal Bowersox

49 vote(s)
    73.1%
  5. Katie Stevens

18 vote(s)
    26.9%
  6. Lee DeWyze

21 vote(s)
    31.3%
  7. Michael Lynche

11 vote(s)
    16.4%
  8. Siobhan Magnus

20 vote(s)
    29.9%
  9. Tim Urban

9 vote(s)
    13.4%
  10. Strawberry Fields Forever… (I Enjoyed Everybody Tonight)

2 vote(s)
    3.0%
  11. Everybody Sucked (My Guitar Is Doing More Than Just Weeping Gently!!)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. I Watched ABC Instead

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

Rihanna was awful. Archie was quite pleasant, and if I liked that song I would have enjoyed that.

It seems like so many of todays popstars are so determined to WOW people with a show that they forget that on live TV they need to be able to sing. They all need to sit down and watch the T.A.M.I. Show on PBS during the next pledge drive and watch the Beach Boys sing their amazing harmonies live. And then go take some voice lessons.

I'm glad they saved Michael for another week. It keeps a little variety in the cast and I like his R&B style.
  2. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

Damn. I stand corrected.

Since he's one of like 2 or 3 of the remaining contestants who hasn't had a performance that completely sucked, I can see why they saved him.

Yep.
  3. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

I don't think the "pecs" comment did him any favors.

Everyone make sure to lob a vote or two at Crystal next week. I called in about ten votes at various times for Lee and his bagpipe player, and had no trouble getting through. No busy signals. Maybe people just aren't voting this season?
  4. margu1241

margu1241 New Member

Who was in the bottom three? Andrew, Mike and ?
  5. PrincessLeppard

Aaron.
  6. shuilee

shuilee New Member

The judges completely WASTED their "save". Arghhh!! Mike has no chance of winning.

Damn I'm scared Crystal and Siobhan could be eliminated below the Top 5, and there's no more "save" to use anymore. STUPID decision, judges!!
  7. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

They must know that Crystal and who ever else they want in the final 3/4/5 are so far ahead in the votes to use the save this early.

not surprised that Timmy wasn't in the bottom 3.
  8. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

and/or 80 year old ladies.
  9. shuilee

shuilee New Member

The rumor on Idolforum boards is that the Big 4 (Lee, Crystal, Casey and Siobhan) are way ahead of the rest in vote count this year.

THe judges must know these vote totals ahead of the time, maybe they're not afraid any of these 4 will have a shock elimination....
  10. PrincessLeppard

No, but he can sing. Which is more than can be said for some others....
  11. cailuj365

cailuj365 New Member

I'm really late on this, but damn, Archie is small. He's shorter than Seacrest!

Glad that Mike got the save. He didn't deserve to go when Andrew, Tim, Aaron, and Katie are still in the running.
  12. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

I don't think people have been voting in rabidly as much as what used to be the usual a few seasons ago. I've voted a few times and haven't had any problems with busy signals. Dial Idol, while the sample size is getting lower and lower, the percentage of busy signals has also dropped significantly over the past few seasons. Is Ryan even announcing the vote totals each week? I haven't seen all of the results shows, but tonight was the first time I even heard a raw number, and even at that, it was the vote total over the course of the season (and to go even further, is quite a bogus statistic seeing that votes do not carry over from week to week).
  13. uyeahu

uyeahu Agitator. Sharpie lover (figuratively speaking).

I confess...I haven't been voting. Unless they change the method of voting to something more sane, like the DTWS method of 10 votes only and you can cast them on their website instead of insanely calling over and over again, I probably won't be voting. I'm also just not that invested in any of the cast yet, and I don't have the energy to fend of the army of power-voting tweens.
  14. PrincessLeppard

I hadn't been voting, either, but I figured I probably shouldn't sit here and whine about the results if I'm not doing anything to alter them. :lol:
  15. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

I also havent heard him say "the most talented cast ever" like they often do
  16. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I don't think he acted inappropriately. He was trying not to cry. What would you expect him to do?
  17. Catherine M

That sounds like a plausible rumor. Simon knows the vote totals, he has said so in the past, so if he at all thought Crystal/Lee/Siobhan/Casey were in trouble, he would have sent Mike home. Doesn't matter to him at this point who sings 9/8/7/6/ 5on the tour.

But I have to admit, it would be good TV for me to see one of the big four go out before the final 5, just to see his head explode!
  18. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I am glad Mike got the save! I think he deserves top 5. He certainly shouldn't go before Tim, Katie or Aaron! After that he can fight with Casey and Siobhan for who goes next. Lee and Crystal are still my pick for final 2 with Lee winning. Crystal is my favorite but Lee fits the mold! I will only regret the save if Crystal or Lee goes but I think the judges know they have a big lead.
  19. Kruss

Kruss Well-Known Member

Do you mean "Imagine"? If so, ITA.
  20. my little pony

I've always hated Imagine. The only time I didnt was when Jordis sang it on Rock Star.
  21. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

yep. :scream:
    Kruss and (deleted member) like this.
  22. Oreo

Oreo Active Member

Rihanna should have been in the bottom three and booted off with no save. God, was that awful. I'm sorry, but her music is the stuff of fever dreams.
  23. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

My ears are still bleeding from listening to Rhianna....
  24. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

I don't really think Mike was actually the bottom vote getter.

I think the producers wanted to ensure Tim and Andrew go next week so they "conveniently" took Tim out of the bottom 3 and inserted Mike in so that the judges save would be used up immediately.
  25. rfisher

We can only hope so.
  26. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

:lol: Conspiracy theories. Zero chance of that. Bottom feeding reality TV has probably had some sheninigans, but no legitimate competition show would ever take this risk. Revelation would mean losing millions in lawsuits, losing ANY semblence of legitimacy, and seeing their timeline 'til cancellation moved up a few seasons. Heck, for AI or Amazing Race it'd probably be an immediate cancellation.

All of this for Tim Urban? All righty, then.

AI's manipulation is done with the editing pimping, the stage lighting, and judges' maneuverings and body language.
  27. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Big Mike was really annoying and obnoxious on Tuesday. He didn't handle his feedback well, and he did nothing to add to his fanbase, or rev up his existing fanbase. Moreover, he routinely picks people up without their permission, flexes his muscles and acts like he's Mr. Universe, and the baby storyline has long since worn thin. Nevertheless, I'm ok with him getting the save, but only b/c he has a pretty good voice (at least for this crowd), and I do think he deserves to outlast the likes of Andrew, Aaron and Tim, none of whom, in my opinion, have a realistic chance at a music career, whereas Big Mike has a teeny-tiny small chance.

I think TPTB figured Crystal won't need the save, and while it would be nice for Casey, Lee and Siobhan to round out the top 4, I bet it's not that big a deal to them if they don't. Lee and Siobhan, in particular, are kind of inconsistent.

I'll probably be killed for saying this :p but I also think TPTB didn't want the last AA awffed so early on; maybe they figured they might lose their AA viewers. However, the fact that he fell into the bottom on Top 9 Week might mean they've already lost most of their AA viewers. Or maybe his non-AA wife was a turnoff to would-be black female voters - it doesn't bother me (I'm a black female) but I bet it bothers others. Well, whatever.
  28. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

That was a tough call on the save. I'm not sure I would have used it on Mike. Yeah, he's better than several others still left, but it would be bad if someone like Crystal or Siobhan, who bring more talent or interest, were to get the boot in the next few weeks and the save wasn't available. Even if the top four are way ahead in the votes, that can change very quickly if someone inherits another contestant's votes or someone has a bad week, or their fans assume they're safe.

Now Mike is almost certainly going to get to at least the top seven because his fans will be voting like crazy next week. I'd like Andrew and Tim to be next to go, but wouldn't mine Aaron going. Or Katie either. I wasn't surprised to see Aaron in the bottom three this week. He deserved to be there, IMO.
  29. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

Didn't the whole quiz show scandal in the 1950's (I'm drawing from my memory of the movie) result in a law making it illegal to manipulate contests broadcast on TV?

I agree that the conspiracy theories are nonsense. In this digital day and age where nothing is ever truly private, no network would dare to screw around with the rules. Way too much to lose.
  30. cailuj365

cailuj365 New Member

I think the theme for next week is Elvis. The contestants are flying to Las Vegas to watch Cirque du Soleil's Viva Elvis.
  31. my little pony

are they going to go see Priscilla, and only film her from kind of ar away, like on Taylor's season?
  32. rfisher

Maybe Casey or Lee will do hip thrusts. :grope: But then maybe Aaron, Tim or Andrew will do hip thrusts. :yikes: :scream:
  33. Catherine M

Elvis week again?

Great, that was my favorite week from season 5 just cause Elliott was awesome and threw a curve into things and Chris decided to mail things in and went out in the best shock boot ever.

Be interesting to see if anyone decides to go into Elvis' gospel song catalog or will it be the same ole stuff like "Little Less Conversation".
  34. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

Aw, JPL vibes

:swoon: Mormon boys trying to dance
  35. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

But isn't Adam Lambert the mentor? I don't get the connection between Adam Lambert and Elvis?? :confused: Or does there not need to be a connection between the mentor and the theme?
  36. PrincessLeppard

Did Quentin Tarantino have a theme? Or Jamie Foxx? I can't remember.
  37. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

IIRC, the theme for Tarantino's week was Music in the Movies or something similar.
    I remember being oddly impressed by Tarantino's feedback for the contestants. :shuffle:
  38. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

The show is so dated. No wonder all of the contestants end up sounding old fashioned. The music they have to choose is craptastic. Why can't they just sing what they want to sing?
  39. cailuj365

cailuj365 New Member

Well, that's just my educated guess on the theme. I heard that one season's contestants went to the Cirque du Soleil Beatles of Love show, but the theme wasn't The Beatles. It was Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. So, it's possible that the theme is different. I keep hearing that the theme is "extra-special" so maybe it's not Elvis, since that's been done before?

No connection between Adam and Elvis? :drama: How dare you! Don't you know that Adam is Elvis reincarnated? :lol: Actually, my mother thought he was very Elvis-like when she first saw him, so I don't know. Sonically, they're not similar of course.

Jamie Foxx's theme was Rat Pack era. That was also a head-scratcher.

Probably for the same reason that figure skaters always skate to the same music.
  40. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

This is the key to keeping the show going strong. As long as they stick to crap themes and crap mentors then ratings will slowly fall. This year has been better, IMO. The Beatles theme is old but that is one of the few old themes that can work because there are just so many good songs to chose from. The worst themes have been Andrew Lloyd Webber week and similar constricting and outdated themes.