American Idol (April 6-7) - The Top 9 (Oh! Darlin’…Beware of Simon’s Silver Hammer!)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Apr 6, 2010.

?

Whose Performance Will You Listen To Eight Days A Week? (Vote For Everybody You Like

1. Aaron Kelly

2 vote(s)
    3.0%
  2. Andrew Garcia

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  3. Casey James

37 vote(s)
    55.2%
  4. Crystal Bowersox

49 vote(s)
    73.1%
  5. Katie Stevens

18 vote(s)
    26.9%
  6. Lee DeWyze

21 vote(s)
    31.3%
  7. Michael Lynche

11 vote(s)
    16.4%
  8. Siobhan Magnus

20 vote(s)
    29.9%
  9. Tim Urban

9 vote(s)
    13.4%
  10. Strawberry Fields Forever… (I Enjoyed Everybody Tonight)

2 vote(s)
    3.0%
  11. Everybody Sucked (My Guitar Is Doing More Than Just Weeping Gently!!)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. I Watched ABC Instead

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

does this mean you will want the bagpipes on tour?

2. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

I demand them! And no Hinder songs. Or should that be Hinder "songs"?

3. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

I'm voting for Lee too, just for perking me up after the snoozefest that was the first 1hr45min.

4. shuilee

shuilee Well-Known Member

WTF @ the bagpipes? Lee and Crystal must have been smokin something this weekend. :lol:

Even though it wasn't Lee's best performance, I still enjoyed it. Probably will give a few phonecalls for that. :p

I think Aaron is in big trouble of pulling a Didi (being eliminated despite not being bottom 3 the previous week). He went first and had a forgettable performance. Plus, Tim probably stole a lot of the tween votes from Aaron this week. That's the worst thing that could happen for him.

Bottom 3: Aaron, Tim, Katie (sadly, I think Andrew will escape bottom 3 again....blah)

5. Christina

Christina Well-Known Member

I just voted for the first time thus season. Tim FTW!!! Take that, haters :lol:

Kasey and (deleted member) like this.
  6. uyeahu

uyeahu Agitator. Sharpie lover (figuratively speaking).

1. Casey was my favorite of the night. His vibrato is deadly but the arrangement was perfect and he really sold it and showed some range. He's just gotta tone back that vibrato.
    2. Lee is my number two and it's ALL about the bagpipes and his "100% my idea" owning of them. THAT'S the best entrance the idol stage has ever seen. I bet Adam Lambert was kicking himself he didn't do that last season. My son and I were rolling - rewound it several times to watch again.

gap

3. Crystal - It was just a'ight for me dawg.
    4. Aaron - He's got great tone and tons of potential. He's destined for a long career I think.
    5. Katie - Her best so far. Listen with your eyes closed. And Simon was spot on about it leaning Country. She really needs to listen to him.
    6. Big Mike - Meh

big gap

7. Andrew bored me and I hated the song choice. Some decent moments in the arrangement, but too much meh.
    8. Siobhan - there is ZERO ease to her singing. She's got her voice all bound up and tied in knots at the top of her throat and as a result it sounds pushed and nasal most of the time. The only times she sounded good tonight were during the falsetto and big note moments where she opened up her throat and relaxed and they were too few and far between.
    9. Tim's Disney show awaits him. The Jonas Bros. will have a sex tape scandal any minute and Tim will slide right on into their time slot and be the most successful Idol ever.

7. Kruss

Kruss Well-Known Member

I've been told it's part of the winner's contract that they come back to sing on the finale as a sort of "passing the torch" thing to the new winner. They are also supposed to sing their current single at the finale. (For the producers at Idol to allow David to sing Permanent instead last year for charity was IMO a nod to their respect for him.) So yeah, I fully expect Kris to sing at the finale.

Tonight's best for me were Crystal and Casey (Casey surprised me). Lee is a favorite of mine, that certainly was interesting!

Adam as mentor - well, I'll reserve my comments. I've said it all on Twitter (and then some). ;)

Really and (deleted member) like this.
  8. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

So people did not have to do a Beatles song...they could have done any songs which were done solo by either Paul or John...

That being the case, what do you think the result would be if somebody covered either "Happy Xmas (War Is Over)" or "Give Peace A Chance"?

I've wondered during past seasons of Canadian Idol, what would have happened if someone had covered Buffy Sainte-Marie's "Universal Solider".

9. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

OMG Jimmy Kimmel is a riot.

He said having the worst singers in the world singing the Lennon/McCartney Songs is a little like having The cast of the Biggest Losers wear Spandex. Not a good idea. :rofl:

10. cailuj365

cailuj365 New Member

LOL. Ohhh, ouch.

I only heard a little bit of Casey's performance, but the few seconds I heard sounded good. I think a big complaint about him is that he's kind of stiff, but I think being still suited this song. His vibrato is kind of warbly though.

I didn't see Lee's performance, but bagpipes? Seriously? LOL/WTF?

11. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Aaron Kelly – Long and Winding Road
    Katie Stevens – Let It Be
    Lee Dewyze – Hey Jude

The three most over-rated, over-played Beatles songs ever. Wikipidea lists 30 Beatles songs. Add to that, all of John and Paul's solo work.

I'm in HELL!!!

:vomit:

12. Sally1214

Sally1214 Active Member

Loved Casey, Crystal and Michael tonight. Katie was pretty good too.

Adam Lambert will return to Idol next week as a guest mentor on the 13th and will perform his hit single, Whataya Want From Me, on results night. This should be fun. Not to mention that it will pretty much guarantee Idol returns to the no. 1-watched show in America next week.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10097/1048334-348.stm

13. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

Crystal. Lee. Casey. Siobhan. (& tonight: Katie)

:rofl: Bagpipes! PML! :rofl:

14. flyingsit

flyingsit Well-Known Member

Kris' trip to Haiti was under the auspice of Idol Gives Back, but his Africa trip was not; it was with Toms Shoes (who he apparently has supported since before he was on Idol). More footage of his Haiti trip will probably be shown but I don't think he will be there.

Last night I thought Casey was really good and Lee was horrific. Regardless of the bagpipes, he was back to being off pitch for almost the entire song. And then what was with the interjection of "Sing with me everybody!" Dude, it's not a concert.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  15. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

I liked Siobhan's outfit. I'd never wear it myself, but it looked good on her. And her singing was better than last week.

OTOH, I did not like Casey's white jacket, though it went well with his angelic hair. (Andrew has a personality. Who knew?) I though he chose a boring song, but it was his best performance so far in terms of stage presence.

Lee did better than most. He didn't sound quite as good as last week. He is getting slightly more comfortable on stage.

Crystal was good. She added some interest with the digeridoo.

What radio station have Kara and Randy been listening to where Mike's performance would fit right in?

I think Katie was being judged in comparison to Katie (and maybe in comparison to Aaron who sang before her and did not sound good). It was fine. It paled in comparison to Brooke's performance of that song as well as in comparison to other versions of that song, including the Idol who shall not be named.

I'm ready to quickly dispense with Andrew, Tim, Katie, and Mike and move on with the competition.

16. flyingsit

flyingsit Well-Known Member

I understand that no other Idol alumni has ever been asked to serve as a mentor before.

My question about this is, what is the job of the mentor? If it is supposed to be to help them win the show, a former winner would probably be more appropriate than a runner-up.

If the job is to help them succeed AFTER the show, one of the very successful alumni, either a winner or not (yes, Chris Daughtry would be a great choice in that case) would be more appropriate than someone who has yet to reach that level. Look, Adam may or may not end up a superstar, but by any objective criteria he's not there yet. Kelly, Carrie, and Daughtry have had much more radio and record-sale success. Jennifer Hudson has her Oscar. Others have been on Broadway (not just touring productions) after their Idol competition.

17. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I always figured the mentor's only real role was to fill in time and promote their own new album on the results show. I don't think they have a real purpose in regards to what they do. They see the contestant for about 3 minutes. :lol:

18. cailuj365

cailuj365 New Member

The mentor's purpose is to 1) give contestants some suggestions to help them give a good performance for that week (or at least appear to), 2) bring in ratings/buzz for the show by being someone famous, 3) give themselves exposure because they usually have something to promote (if a current artist).

They listen and give feedback for one song and spend probably a total of five minutes with each contestant. No one mentor is going to help them win the whole shebang nor is she or he going to give advice on how to deal with the industry or become successful. It won't even matter, because I guarantee you that more than half of these contestants will disappear from public consciousness after the show is over.

Being successful on American Idol means giving memorable performances to get people to like you and what you do (or not hate it as much at least) so you don't get voted off the next day. If you're lucky, then you actually get real fans who are devoted to you and you stay on long enough or impress to such a high degree that you get a record deal out of it. However, it all starts with giving memorable performances. Adam is successful as any of the other AI alum in that regard.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  19. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

I don't know that it necessarily is to help them win the show. Putting aside the fact that they don't spend a lot of time with the contestants, the comments seems to be largely related to singing and we all know that it's not just singing that helps you in this competition. Idol is more like a pageant. (Simon might not have liked the fact that Aaron gave such a pageanty answer during the interview phase of the competition last night, but it's a savvy approach.) Also, hair seems to be of particular importance this season. :lol: (The intro by Finn last night was funny.) I can't remember any mentors helping the contestants with their hair. :lol:

Plus, even if we were to assume that the mentor is there to help them win the show, not all seasons have the same quality of contestants. It does not necessarily follow that a person who came in second in one season would have come in second in any other season. It also does not follow that a contestant who wins in one season would have won in any other season. (And if a person really would have won in any other season, that means that the winners in those other seasons aren't all that.)

20. Freespirit

Freespirit New Member

Is Casey's performance on You-tube? Thanks.

21. shan

shan Well-Known Member

22. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I just watched Casey's performance, missed it last night, I like him but his vibrato was out of control last night. It really didn't mesh well with that song and he should probably stay away from that type of song in a live setting like A.I. He could make it work in studio when they can go in and tone it down.

23. uyeahu

uyeahu Agitator. Sharpie lover (figuratively speaking).

His vibrato was the only thing that put me off as well - too much like bleating. But we've seen many contestants come through Idol who managed to get that under control and I'm confident he can as well. Aside from the vibrato issues I thought his performance was pretty damn excellent.

24. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I was so surprised about how well Casey performed. But I have to agree about the bleating, goat like vibrato. Ever since he sang that Huey Lewis song, that's all he's sounded like to me. But last night he overcame that for me! I hope he continues to improve and will lose the vibrato. At times it gave me flashbacks of Carmen Rasmussen from one of the early seasons. :scream:

25. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

uh oh .... I don't like the way Ryan keeps say 'shocking results'. Although that really might not mean anything either. :shuffle:

26. soxxy

soxxy Guest

Ryan says the producers have told him the results tonight will be "shocking."

27. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

Tom said the same thing about the DWTS results last night, and then they totally weren't. They just don't want us to turn to Law and Order.:shuffle:

28. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

I will be shocked if someone I think deserves to be kicked off actually IS the one kicked off.

29. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

uh ... are they lip synching, or is the sound running behind the video. :p

30. AshleyN

AshleyN Well-Known Member

Are they trying to sing all the Beatles' songs in two minutes?