American Idol (April 6-7) - The Top 9 (Oh! Darlin’…Beware of Simon’s Silver Hammer!)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Apr 6, 2010.

Whose Performance Will You Listen To Eight Days A Week? (Vote For Everybody You Like

1. Aaron Kelly

2 vote(s)
    3.0%
  2. Andrew Garcia

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  3. Casey James

37 vote(s)
    55.2%
  4. Crystal Bowersox

49 vote(s)
    73.1%
  5. Katie Stevens

18 vote(s)
    26.9%
  6. Lee DeWyze

21 vote(s)
    31.3%
  7. Michael Lynche

11 vote(s)
    16.4%
  8. Siobhan Magnus

20 vote(s)
    29.9%
  9. Tim Urban

9 vote(s)
    13.4%
  10. Strawberry Fields Forever… (I Enjoyed Everybody Tonight)

2 vote(s)
    3.0%
  11. Everybody Sucked (My Guitar Is Doing More Than Just Weeping Gently!!)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. I Watched ABC Instead

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

yep. :scream:

Kruss and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Oreo

Oreo Active Member

Rihanna should have been in the bottom three and booted off with no save. God, was that awful. I'm sorry, but her music is the stuff of fever dreams.

3. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

My ears are still bleeding from listening to Rhianna....

4. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

I don't really think Mike was actually the bottom vote getter.

I think the producers wanted to ensure Tim and Andrew go next week so they "conveniently" took Tim out of the bottom 3 and inserted Mike in so that the judges save would be used up immediately.

5. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

We can only hope so.

6. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

:lol: Conspiracy theories. Zero chance of that. Bottom feeding reality TV has probably had some sheninigans, but no legitimate competition show would ever take this risk. Revelation would mean losing millions in lawsuits, losing ANY semblence of legitimacy, and seeing their timeline 'til cancellation moved up a few seasons. Heck, for AI or Amazing Race it'd probably be an immediate cancellation.

All of this for Tim Urban? All righty, then.

AI's manipulation is done with the editing pimping, the stage lighting, and judges' maneuverings and body language.

7. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Big Mike was really annoying and obnoxious on Tuesday. He didn't handle his feedback well, and he did nothing to add to his fanbase, or rev up his existing fanbase. Moreover, he routinely picks people up without their permission, flexes his muscles and acts like he's Mr. Universe, and the baby storyline has long since worn thin. Nevertheless, I'm ok with him getting the save, but only b/c he has a pretty good voice (at least for this crowd), and I do think he deserves to outlast the likes of Andrew, Aaron and Tim, none of whom, in my opinion, have a realistic chance at a music career, whereas Big Mike has a teeny-tiny small chance.

I think TPTB figured Crystal won't need the save, and while it would be nice for Casey, Lee and Siobhan to round out the top 4, I bet it's not that big a deal to them if they don't. Lee and Siobhan, in particular, are kind of inconsistent.

I'll probably be killed for saying this :p but I also think TPTB didn't want the last AA awffed so early on; maybe they figured they might lose their AA viewers. However, the fact that he fell into the bottom on Top 9 Week might mean they've already lost most of their AA viewers. Or maybe his non-AA wife was a turnoff to would-be black female voters - it doesn't bother me (I'm a black female) but I bet it bothers others. Well, whatever.

8. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

That was a tough call on the save. I'm not sure I would have used it on Mike. Yeah, he's better than several others still left, but it would be bad if someone like Crystal or Siobhan, who bring more talent or interest, were to get the boot in the next few weeks and the save wasn't available. Even if the top four are way ahead in the votes, that can change very quickly if someone inherits another contestant's votes or someone has a bad week, or their fans assume they're safe.

Now Mike is almost certainly going to get to at least the top seven because his fans will be voting like crazy next week. I'd like Andrew and Tim to be next to go, but wouldn't mine Aaron going. Or Katie either. I wasn't surprised to see Aaron in the bottom three this week. He deserved to be there, IMO.

9. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

Didn't the whole quiz show scandal in the 1950's (I'm drawing from my memory of the movie) result in a law making it illegal to manipulate contests broadcast on TV?

I agree that the conspiracy theories are nonsense. In this digital day and age where nothing is ever truly private, no network would dare to screw around with the rules. Way too much to lose.

10. cailuj365

cailuj365 Well-Known Member

I think the theme for next week is Elvis. The contestants are flying to Las Vegas to watch Cirque du Soleil's Viva Elvis.

11. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

are they going to go see Priscilla, and only film her from kind of ar away, like on Taylor's season?

12. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Maybe Casey or Lee will do hip thrusts. :grope: But then maybe Aaron, Tim or Andrew will do hip thrusts. :yikes: :scream:

13. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

Elvis week again?

Great, that was my favorite week from season 5 just cause Elliott was awesome and threw a curve into things and Chris decided to mail things in and went out in the best shock boot ever.

Be interesting to see if anyone decides to go into Elvis' gospel song catalog or will it be the same ole stuff like "Little Less Conversation".

14. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

Aw, JPL vibes

:swoon: Mormon boys trying to dance

15. BaileyCatts

But isn't Adam Lambert the mentor? I don't get the connection between Adam Lambert and Elvis?? :confused: Or does there not need to be a connection between the mentor and the theme?

16. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

Did Quentin Tarantino have a theme? Or Jamie Foxx? I can't remember.

17. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

IIRC, the theme for Tarantino's week was Music in the Movies or something similar.
    I remember being oddly impressed by Tarantino's feedback for the contestants. :shuffle:

18. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

The show is so dated. No wonder all of the contestants end up sounding old fashioned. The music they have to choose is craptastic. Why can't they just sing what they want to sing?

19. cailuj365

Well, that's just my educated guess on the theme. I heard that one season's contestants went to the Cirque du Soleil Beatles of Love show, but the theme wasn't The Beatles. It was Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. So, it's possible that the theme is different. I keep hearing that the theme is "extra-special" so maybe it's not Elvis, since that's been done before?

No connection between Adam and Elvis? :drama: How dare you! Don't you know that Adam is Elvis reincarnated? :lol: Actually, my mother thought he was very Elvis-like when she first saw him, so I don't know. Sonically, they're not similar of course.

Jamie Foxx's theme was Rat Pack era. That was also a head-scratcher.

Probably for the same reason that figure skaters always skate to the same music.

20. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

This is the key to keeping the show going strong. As long as they stick to crap themes and crap mentors then ratings will slowly fall. This year has been better, IMO. The Beatles theme is old but that is one of the few old themes that can work because there are just so many good songs to chose from. The worst themes have been Andrew Lloyd Webber week and similar constricting and outdated themes.

21. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

SNARK ALERT!!!!!!

Am I the only person who has yet to see a great performance from Lee? I was thinking last night, "I can't wait until this season ends so that Lee can very quickly fade into obscurity". If he gets ANY kind of record deal, I will be shocked. He has no personality or stage presence and his only asset is that he (boringly) hits most notes correctly... :bigyawn:

I've been wondering for a while... Is Mike even muscular? Isn't he just FAT? Any muscles he has are ones necessary to carry his over-weighted-ness... :scream:

I would never pick someone like Mike as a personal trainer. I'd just think to myself, "diet for a year and then get back to me..."

:eek:

Imagine is a bad song like Frank Sinatra is a bad singer and Meryl Streep is a bad actress... :eek:

Andrew Garcia is not caucasian.

:wuzrobbed:

I was very much hoping to see Adam do something non-family-friendly with Casey... :swoon:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
    LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  22. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

that's what I said

23. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

Mike is a power lifter. They are usually quite huge... and they can appear overweight. He would need to 'eat clean' for about 2 months to be lean, but he would still be ginormous.

24. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

What???

:confused:

25. BaileyCatts

:rofl: How did I never know this. Seriously ... I didn't! :duh:

26. PrincessLeppard

I liked "Treat her Like a Lady." I even bought it. :shuffle:

:grope:

You were selectively edited. :p

27. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Lee is the guy I want to like, since he seems so sensitive, but I can't get there. I keep waiting for this great talent to burst out of his nervous, stage-frightened shell. Having said that, whatever he sang last week was pretty good. (Or maybe not, since I can't remember what he actually sang!) This week he was horrible... and horribly overpraised. It's like they're gentle on him so as not to crush his spirit or something.

I hope Adam gets to spend quality time with the kids. Seems like most mentors spend just enough time with each kid to get the camera shots in. But if Adam really spent the week with them, gave them real-life advice about relaxing, pacing themselves not to burn out, etc., as well as how to shine on stage, create a "moment," technical advice about conserving their throats and stuff, that would be great!

28. shan

shan Well-Known Member

:eek: on stage????

29. PrincessLeppard

Yeah. I would elaborate, but I don't wanna get yelled at again in ALL CAPS for "shipping" contestants.

30. cailuj365

I want to see Big Mike power lift Adam on stage. :rofl: