American Idol (April 6-7) - The Top 9 (Oh! Darlin’…Beware of Simon’s Silver Hammer!)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Apr 6, 2010.

Whose Performance Will You Listen To Eight Days A Week? (Vote For Everybody You Like

1. Aaron Kelly

2 vote(s)
    3.0%
  2. Andrew Garcia

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  3. Casey James

37 vote(s)
    55.2%
  4. Crystal Bowersox

49 vote(s)
    73.1%
  5. Katie Stevens

18 vote(s)
    26.9%
  6. Lee DeWyze

21 vote(s)
    31.3%
  7. Michael Lynche

11 vote(s)
    16.4%
  8. Siobhan Magnus

20 vote(s)
    29.9%
  9. Tim Urban

9 vote(s)
    13.4%
  10. Strawberry Fields Forever… (I Enjoyed Everybody Tonight)

2 vote(s)
    3.0%
  11. Everybody Sucked (My Guitar Is Doing More Than Just Weeping Gently!!)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. I Watched ABC Instead

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Until we review the Lennon/McCartney songbook, here's some various Idol news:

Tim Urban is votefortheworst’s longest-running pick (seven weeks running, beating Sanjaya’s six weeks):

http://www.votefortheworst.com/radio/659052/vftw-radio-33110-celebrates-tim-urban-as-the-longest

Is Casey James gay?

http://www.votefortheworst.com/story/660712/is-casey-james-gay/

Two Crystal Bowersox originals (“Hellbent” seems to be causing a mini-ruckus):

http://mjsbigblog.com/crystal-bowersox-sunflower-sunshine-and-hellbent.htm

Will Adam Lambert be the mentor next week??

http://mjsbigblog.com/is-adam-lambert-mentoring-the-idols-next-week.htm

David Archuleta, Rihanna and Jason Derulo will perform on American Idol this Wednesday:

http://www.rickey.org/?p=37671

Megan Joy’s new song, “Trouble Me”:

http://mjsbigblog.com/megan-joy-trouble-me-new-song.htm

New CD from Clay Aiken on June 1st:

http://www.rickey.org/?p=37324

Preview of new song from Michael Johns (“Cry, Cry, Cry”):

http://mjsbigblog.com/michael-johns-new-song-snip-cry-cry-cry.htm

Sneak peak of new song from Matt Giraud (“4 A.M.”):

http://mjsbigblog.com/matt-giruad-sneak-peak-4-am-new-song.htm

Kimberley Locke has a new song (“Strobelight”) available for download from itunes:

http://www.rickey.org/?p=37727
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwTrrXczvhw

Jason Castro – Full Album Stream:

http://www.rickey.org/?p=37635

Bank of America sues Chikezie for $17,433.63:

http://www.rickey.org/?p=37299

Jennifer Hudson’s Weight Watchers ad:

http://www.votefortheworst.com/story/659673/jennifer-hudson-weight-watchers-ad

2. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

I wonder if Archie is going to reprise "Imagine." (Note to Aaron: Don't pick Imagine to perform this week.)

It's too bad they're not giving Jason Castro a spot since he's releasing his album. (Eight songs is an album?)

It would be weird for Adam to be the mentor.

VFTW is trying to get info to out Casey (assuming he's gay and is in)? :p

What did Megan do to her hair?

3. missing

missing Well-Known Member

It's been pretty much confirmed that Adam will be the mentor next week.

4. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Has any past Idol ever mentored? I know tons of people have been waiting for one for one of the big ones like Kelly, Carrie, Daughtry, etc but it hasn't happened. I think having Lambert do it would be a slap in the face to all of those who have made a name for themselves outside of Idol. Adam is great, I am a big fan, but he is still trying to prove there is a place for him in the business. His first single flopped big time and his 2nd is doing nicely but has not yet had the huge success of any of the aforementioned Idols. I know it would all be about promotion for his single and album but the mentoring spots usually went to people who earned that job. Lately, it is going to people who need the promotion and that bothers me. Let the people who need the promo do a performance on result night, if that isn't going to help them then nothing will. I have no doubt this is a result of the fact that last year the results show performances didn't have the same impact as they had in previous seasons, especially with iTunes sales.

5. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

Whether or not you think Adam "earned" it, I think he would be an excellent mentor. He knows when to go for it and when to hold back, and he knows how to pick songs, not to mention that he knows how to perform.

And I don't think choosing him is a slap in anyone's face.

6. flyingsit

flyingsit Well-Known Member

I think Adam mentoring, is an enormous slap in the face to the contestants who have had real success, which he has not achieved yet. Someone asked him about it fairly recently and even HE said that he would have no business doing it yet. It's just more promotion to try to push him over the top.

There’s no way 19 and Adam get out of this unharmed. Blood will be drawn. You’ve got eight years of Idol fans who are sharpening their claws to tear Adam apart. Not because they hate him, really, but because there’s several past Idols who should have been looked at first for mentoring. Kelly, Carrie, Daughtry, Fantasia, Ruben and Clay–many past Idols who should have been given this opportunity before Adam.

But if they want to force-feed Adam to the public, so be it. You can’t force anyone to make your chosen one a superstar. You can twist, turn, massage, and manipulate. But you can’t outright demand it, and that’s what they’re doing with Adam.

7. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

Clay is my Idol, but I think that if they want to start having former contestants as mentors, they must start with Kelly or it makes the show look ridiculous.

Having Adam on to perform would be wonderful, on the other hand.

8. cailuj365

cailuj365 Well-Known Member

I think it's cool that an AI alum is coming back to mentor. I'm surprised they haven't done that already. I was actually excited when there was that rumor that Kelly was going to judge one of the audition cities, but that turned out to be false. Right now, Carrie, Daughtry, and Kelly are all touring, so I guess they wouldn't be available as mentors next week.

I thought this rumor was bogus until Slezak just confirmed it. Plus, someone asked Adam about mentoring a few weeks ago and he laughed and said he was too "new." I guess AI didn't care?

That being said, Adam has to be a much more qualified mentor than Quentin Tarantino, for example. I have no idea why he was a mentor last year. Plus, aren't the ratings down? Adam does have more current buzz/presence in the media than any of the other alum and actually has a single out on radio right now, unlike Cook, Archuleta, and Jordin. Kris has already appeared on the show, is appearing again in a few weeks, and again for the finale.

"Slap in the face." :lol: Is being asked to be an AI mentor seriously that big of an honor? I don't think the stars who have made it are dying to mentor these contestants.

9. Allskate

IMO, It's not a question of Adam earning it, though obviously some fans of other Idol contestants clearly would think so. It's just weird to have a former Idol contestant mentor because their most valuable advice would be about how to work it in the context of Idol and that would involve discussing things that the producers probably don't want to air. For example, they would talk about the limits in terms of song choices, the time contraints, finding arrangements online, pandering to the judges and to the public, etc.

But, in the end, it's really about promoting the mentor, so I'm sure they can find a way to make it work and have him focus on other things. They really just need about 30 seconds from him on each contestant.

10. flyingsit

It's not that mentoring is an honor, it's the incredible free publicity of being on the #1 show on TV for two nights in a row (not just performing on the results show).

And call me crazy, but if a former contestant from the show is going to mentor current contestants, wouldn't you expect it to be somene who'd actually WON the show?

11. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

:confused:

Does anybody have proof that earlier Idols were NOT asked to be a mentor? I would have guessed that Kelly and Carrie have asked MANY times and both said no. (That's just a guess, though!)

In defense of Adam, he is a historical figure. The first singer ever to have both a hit song as well as a gold album AFTER coming out as gay. (Other gay performers have had hits before and after coming out, but Adam came out first and THEN released his first single and album.)

I also think that Adam will reach the heights that Kelly and Carrie have. All three can sing ANYTHING. :respec:

Isn't DWTS (Dancing With The Stars) now the #1 show?

I agree. The idea of Jennifer Hudson or Chris Daughtry mentoring would be so WRONG!!! :p

12. cailuj365

There are some great winners from this show (Kelly, Carrie), but Daughtry seems to be doing just fine and he didn't even make Top 3. I wouldn't object to Daughtry mentoring. I would object to Taylor Hicks mentoring, however. Maybe Jordin is the only other winner who has done something, but I haven't heard of her since Battlefield.

Also, I think the nature of this show has changed from the early seasons. It's not just about singing well anymore. It's about how kickass you can rearrange the song (or find rearrangements) and perform and still stay true to what makes you unique, which Adam did very well when he was on the show. Him being on the show so very recently actually may be beneficial as the experience is probably still very fresh in his mind as opposed to Kelly who did this 8 years ago.

There is obviously a lot of publicity that comes with being the mentor/performer, but Adam still has to deliver if he wants to see sales increases (which is the whole point, right?). There have been high-profile performers that have seen sales decreases following their Idol performance. If he's a shitty mentor and gives a weak performance, it will hurt him more than help him. If he's an awesome mentor and gives a great performance, then good for him. I think there will be a lot of pressure on him actually. Did MTV write up articles on how good someone like Smokey Robinson was as a mentor? No, because no one cares. They will probably pay attention to Adam though because his career is on the rise and he's a relevant figure in pop culture right now.

I'm kind of curious to see what kind of advice Adam will give anyway. I think it would be hilarious if there was some kind of AI secret like, "Give Kara a wink during the performance, because she loves feeling special," but that's probably not true. :( :lol: I don't think what will be aired will be quite that awesome, unfortunately.

Who is the mentor for this week, btw? And yes, David Archuleta is performing Imagine. I don't know why both Davids have performed covers. Wouldn't it be in their best interest to perform songs from their own albums? On a related note, I know Adam is performing "Whataya Want From Me," but I think he should perform his next single "If I Had You." WWFM is already on its way out, I think.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  13. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I can't say with 100% certainty but Kelly has done mentoring duties on Canadian Idol, Australian Idol and soon the Korean version (I think this is in May). So I doubt she has passed up opportunities to do American Idol while doing those 3 countries. Maybe she was asked and her schedule didn't permit but if they want her they would ask plenty in advance to make sure she could work it around any tours, which is the only thing that would keep her away from the show. Promo wouldn't stop her because this would be killer promo and she would rather cancel and move around any other promo in the way.

14. Allskate

ITA. And there are lots of people I would choose before Jordin. Kris would be good and so would David Cook, but I can't see Jordin being better than Adam.

Yeah, but I don't think the mentors help them choose the arrangements.

Sadly true. I think it will just be some nice compliments and some minor suggestions regarding phrasing and stage presence.

I don't get why the Davids are doing covers, either. Kris did a cover, too. So, I guess Adam is lucky that at least he gets to do a song from his album. Maybe they se WWFM as targeted more towards an American audience and "If I Had You" as targeted at more of a European audience? I dunno. Personally, neither one of them would have been my choice for a single. I think there are better songs on the album.

15. cailuj365

I disagree here. I don't think Adam was asked until very recently (someone asked him about mentoring not too long ago and he seemed surprised at the question, said he was only performing), so I have a feeling that the scheduled mentor canceled, or AI doesn't ask until a few weeks before the air date. Kelly is doing shows in New Zealand and Australia, and to cancel now would be upsetting to those fans. Kelly just released a new single, but her label isn't giving it that much promotion anyway, since it's the fourth single. They're not even making a music video for it.

That's probably true. When do the contestants see the mentors anyway? If it's too late in the week, they've probably already picked out the arrangement. Still, I remember a few mentors giving advice on tempo changes and such. I could see Adam helping here.

Danny and Ruben did original songs, so it confused me even more as to why they were doing covers. However, I think Kris and David are performing again for Idol Gives Back the week after Adam, and Kris is at least performing in the finale, so they'll have their time. (So, really, Adam isn't appearing on Idol any more than the last two winners. In addition to the weekly Ford commercials, Kris will be appearing three times!) Poor Archie though gets shafted with an old cover, even if he does do it very well.

I'm ambivalent on IIHY, but performing it now would be be a good way to launch a new single. To my understanding, they're trying to give WWFM one last push before moving on to IIHY. I can see both sides of the argument. I think the song from his album that the Idol audience in particular would love would be "Sleepwalker" though.

16. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

if Hannah Ray Montana can mentor, literally anyone can

I dont see how Adam's invite insults anyone

17. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I could do it. All you have to say is :You suck. or Don't quit your day job.

18. AshleyN

AshleyN Well-Known Member

Song spoilers:

Crystal Bowersox tweeted that she’s got a cold this week…

Aaron Kelly – Long and Winding Road – Very bland.
    Katie Stevens – Let it Be – Good live
    Andrew Garcia – Can’t Buy Me Love – Wasn’t as good as last week–standing with the guitar, changed it up just a little bit.
    Mike Lynche – Eleanor Rigby – Orchestra on the floor with him–soulful vibe
    Crystal Bowersox – Come Together – Played guitar, A horn-player on stage with her
    Tim Urban – All My Loving – Played guitar
    Casey James – Jealous Guy – Played guitar – No band – with cello very acoustic…
    Siobhan Magnus – Across the Universe – Sang it straight, no big note. Piano player on stage, sat on a stool. Wild outfit
    Lee Dewyze – Hey Jude – Guy with Bagpipes dressed in a kilt.

Thoughts:
    LOL at Aaron choosing the Archie song.

Brooke's performance of Let It Be was one of my favourites of Season 7. There's no way Katie comes close.

Across the Universe might be my favourite Beatles song. I hope Siobhan can pull out of her slump and do it justice.

Expecting Crystal to be awesome, as usual.

Bagpipes?

19. rfisher

Michael Johns' had a disaster with Siobhan's choice. In fact, it sent him home IIRC. Or he went the next week. Hope it's better for her.

20. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

I was afraid Lennon/McCartney Night was going to be some way of making people think they were getting Beatles songs but it was really going to be stuff they wrote for Yoko and Wings.

21. Allskate

Oh, Katie. She should have learned a lesson from Aaron, who apparently still hasn't learned that lesson. And Mike. Hmm. Hope it's very, very different. Siobhan's choice sounds promising.

22. AshleyN

Pretty sure he sang it top twelve week, and didn't go home until top eight. Also, his Across the Universe wasn't bad IIRC, his A Day in the Life was a disaster though.

23. rfisher

You are correct.

24. flyingsit

Kris did a cover when he appeared because it was to raise money for Haiti and he did not think Live Like We're Dying was appropriate in that circumstance. He will not be appearing on IGB, and has not even confirmed that he's been invited for the finale. At this point I will not be surprised if they give that slot to Adam as well. He'll, last week when Aaron sang Ain't No Sunshine the judges didn't even say Kris' name, just said that it had been done better on the show in the past.

25. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

I feel for Paul having to encourage this group of singers.

Meow....is Ryan so nasty to Simon this year because Simon is leaving Ryan's show???

26. Allskate

Kris isn't doing Idol Gives Back? Well, that's a shame. He seems very well suited to it. He not only recently visited Africa, but did mission work there. If he doesn't get to come on the show and do a song from his album, that definitely would be wrong. And stupid on the part of the producers. Not suprirsed Simon didn't mention Kris by name. He was never a Kris fan and probably doesn't want to be reminded that he did not pick Kris. (Simon is probably hoping that Katie does not try to do a country album, which would prove him wrong once again.)

27. AshleyN

Mehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

28. soxxy

soxxy Guest

So so rendition of Long and Winding Road from Aaron. He doesn't have the vocal chops for it, held last note a long time.

29. slicekw

slicekw #FixingTheInternet

(Yoda voice) A long and winding song, it is.

Damn, Ellen stole my line.

30. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

was someone singing? I fell asleep.