American Idol (April 20th and 21st) - What A Wonderful Top 7 (Or Not)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Allskate, Apr 21, 2010.

?

I Can Only Imagine...Who Will Be More Than Mediocre (Vote For Everybody You Liked)

1. Aaron Kelly

4 vote(s)
    7.4%
  2. Casey James

10 vote(s)
    18.5%
  3. Crystal Bowersox

43 vote(s)
    79.6%
  4. Lee DeWyze

28 vote(s)
    51.9%
  5. Michael Lynche

9 vote(s)
    16.7%
  6. Siobhan Magnus

10 vote(s)
    18.5%
  7. Tim Urban

3 vote(s)
    5.6%
  8. Butterfly Kisses For All (I Liked All Seven Performances)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. BLASHPEMY! (All Were Horrid)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. I Cancelled My Subscription to FOX

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  11. Cancel AI NOW!!!

5 vote(s)
    9.3%
  12. When Does The X-Factor Start???

5 vote(s)
    9.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. shuilee

shuilee New Member

OMG Tim doesn't even get to sing again! WOW

2. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

So who will sing I feel like a woman?

3. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

Siobhan. It is not the right song for Crystal. Except everyone has been wanting her to step outside her comfort zone

4. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I kind of fear for Crystal. I don't know which song she could do and her fans probably are the most likely to slack off thinking she is safe. I only know the popular Shania songs from the album that was so huge, ok ok, I know the whole album, but I don't know ANY songs from any other albums. I hope there is more of a selection than I think...

5. mindy74

mindy74 Well-Known Member

Idol really gave back by not making us listen to Tim one more time. Thank you, AI!

6. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

I agree. I'm glad Tim's gone, but Aaron's even worse, just incredibly boring.

7. shuilee

shuilee New Member

I feel wuzrobbed of the stage sliding from Tim. I was hoping for a big F-U to the judges with CLTCL as his "swan song". Alas I don't get to see it. :wuzrobbed:

8. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

So, we have had:

Top 12: The Rolling Stones
    Top 11: Billboard Number Ones
    Top 10: R&B
    Top 9: Lennon/McCartney
    Top 8: Elvis Presley
    Top 7: Inspirational Music
    Top 6: Shania Twain

This season sucks ass. Let them sing what they want.

9. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Shania Fecking Twain? Are they kidding? :rofl:

10. pollyanna

pollyanna Don't blink

I'm not familiar with her music. Does she have enough songs to go around?

11. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

Well, seeing that there's only 6 contestants remaining, yes. But a majority of the audience is probably going to be hearing a few songs for the first time on Tuesday. That is unless you're a hard-core country/Shania fan.

12. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

So, it's officially Shania week, not "country week" with Shania as mentor? That's absurd.

ETA: Not that I have anything against Shania. That's just quite a small body of work to choose from, even for only 6 singers. I thought they were pushing that envelope with Elvis week. I predict the judges will spend the whole night berating every contestant for their song choice.:rolleyes:

13. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

I dare you to listen to this version.

A few years ago, I included that on a mix tape from hell that I created as part of a bet. Scarily, it was probably the best song on the tape. Some of the others were songs from Veggie Tales ("Proud Mary" from Bob & Larry Sing the 70s), Toby Keith ("Courtesy of the Red White & Blue"), Tom Jones ("Lady Madonna"), Pat Boone (a cover of "We Are Family"), Zamphir (a panpipe version of "Can't Fight the Moonlight"), and a god-awful techno version of "Against All Odds" by someone named Kira (the description alone sounds horrible, but it is even worse than you can possibly imagine).

14. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Got home really late last night, and of course I hadn't adjusted my DVR. So this bloated pile of crap ran over by 22 minutes?!? Sounds like I didn't miss much anyway.

Tim gone. Well, that seems fair (although no sing-out was not so fair). Hopefully the Poor Man's Archuleta follows suit next week!!

15. Cheylana

One more observation:

Ryan pronounces Crystal safe and Casey in the B3. Crystal hugs Casey and heads back to the couches.

Ryan pronounces Lee safe and Aaron in the B3. Lee beelines for the couches with nary a glance at Aaron. What gives, Lee? Are you that clueless or just a douche? :rolleyes:

16. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Shania has sold over 100 million albums and has released over 100 songs...

http://www.whosdatedwho.com/music/songs/shania-twain.htm

That doesn't include her early works that has been released in about 10 different CD versions. Considering most of the songs from her albums were released as singles, there is PLENTY to choose from. Anybody who can't find one song that showcases them well has no right to be in the Top 6.

:confused:

Are you SERIOUS? What, do you want them to cover only songs which were written and/or recorded by GOD???

:rolleyes:

17. BigB08822

4 of the 7 themes are really dated. No matter how much you like Shania, she is NOT current and hasn't been for quite some time. Elvis, Rolling Stones and Lennon/McCartney are as dated as it gets. This just sticks out like a sore thumb when the judges constantly tell contestants to be more current and to sing something their age. It makes me want to :wall:

As for Shania releasing all those songs on all those CD's. Ok, but how many people, other than you :lol:, know that? I can only name her huge hits and I would guess that is true for the majority of people. She may have enough songs for everyone to find something but unless they have the time to sit down and listen to them all, I doubt it matters...

18. uyeahu

uyeahu Agitator. Sharpie lover (figuratively speaking).

I could see Crystal doing Coat of Many Colors, technically a Dolly song but since Shania covered it, it should be fair game.

19. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

You want current themes for American Idol? :confused: Welcome to Planet Earth! :lol: Or do you mean we should go back to the themes they covered in season one?

From wikipedia:

3.1 Top 10 (Motown)
    3.2 Top 8 (1960s)
    3.3 Top 7 (1970s)
    3.4 Top 6 (Big Band)
    3.5 Top 5 (Burt Bacharach Love Songs)
    3.6 Top 4 (1980s/1990s)
    3.7 Top 3 (Idol's Choice, Judges' Choice)
    3.8 Top 2 (Finale)

Anybody on the same side of puberty as me knows Shania Twain well. Unless they only listen to indie music and therefore should not be allowed near anything like American Idol! :rofl: And any worth-while artist can make anything sound good and/or current (Goddess bless you, Adam Lambert). Anybody who is given over 100 songs to choose from and then whines about a lack of choice should never have auditioned in the first place. My humble opinion, of course... :D

20. BigB08822

Just because they have never done more current stuff means I cant wish they would do more current themes? I have been betching and moaning about it forever and it wouldn't be such a problem if the judges didn't constantly complain about how old so and so is making themselves sound.

The first season had dated themes but at least they were WIDE OPEN (minus the Bacharach week)! Now we get artist specific weeks that are not only confined to a specific time period but that one singer/songwriter.

I still say that a big majority of people can only name 4-5 Shania songs, those that were her huge hits on radio in the 90's. :p

21. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

The only Shania song I know is "That Don't Impress me Much." I liked her leopard print outfit in the video. :shuffle: (and only two of the contestants could realistically sing that song without massive lyric changes. or being totally comfortable with their sexuality. Which would be hot. :) )

22. LisaS

LisaS New Member

23. Cheylana

I only know "Still the One" :shuffle: :eek:

24. shan

shan Well-Known Member

25. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

I'm not sure if this is supposed to mean that you are really young or really old. The only song of hers I remember is "Man I Feel Like A Woman" because I hate it with the intensity of ten thousand suns.

26. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't like that one either. Didn't Nancy Kerrigan skate to that during a skating special? :scream:

27. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Yup. She used it for a few years. Hated the song, hated the number.
    As for someone "way over this side of puberty", I never heard much of Shania's stuff. If it was on the radio in the Northeast, I missed it.

28. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

You and me both. I think I'll be deep in a book next Tuesday night....

29. shan

shan Well-Known Member

30. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

shan, you're such a giver