American Idol, anyone?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Cyn, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

…….Or did Scotty McCreary destroy what little love for this show that was left? ;) :p

2. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Not interested until they get to the top 12, then I'll watch at least once to see if anybody is worth watching. I'm waiting for the Voice. I'd rather watch Adam, Xtina, Blake and CeeLo than AI.

3. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I love the auditions, so I just tuned in.

4. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Not watching until they get to the semi finals or final 12 or 13 or however the hell they do it now.

5. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

When is it starting? I might give it a whirl... :watch:

6. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I forgot!

Who are the judges?

7. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

I'm watching it on tape delay, as I always do, so I can skip the ads. That usually means I can't play along in these threads, because I'm behind.

Right now I'm up to the excited guy who's singing Jason Mraz badly.

8. GarrAarghHrumph

Stephen Tyler, Jennifer Lopez and Randy.

Tonight at 8pm eastern.

9. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Oh I thought they might change up the judges. But IIRC, the judging was pretty good up until the live shows.

10. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

Erica Nowak really looks like a tall, black-haired Tonya Harding. :eek:

11. kimkom

kimkom Two Pot Screamer

She really does!

Phillip Phillips was terrific...loved the way he did Thriller!

12. GarrAarghHrumph

I thought so, too. The eyeliner didn't help.

The last guy with the guitar was a very strong guitarist.

13. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

Are AI episodes posted online to watch somewhere? I missed the first 15 minutes. Lots of good singers tonight, but I'll never remember their names. Even once they get the Top 12 I can't remember names until about the remaining 8 or so. But good gawd much better production value than the X Factor! So glad American Idol is back!!! :cheer2:

By the way, I would like to give a message to a poster on this board, who I can't remember who it was so maybe they'll come in and claim it. Last season during the weeky AI threads, someone made a comment about how Steven Tyler reminded them of Janice Dickinson. To that poster I say .... I hate u! :p Every time I see Steven Tyler on the screen I remember that comment and start busting out laughing because sometimes it is so freaking true its scary! :rofl:

14. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

There were more capable singers than usual.
    I hope the trend continues; and that they refrain from showing too many "trainwrecks" along the way.

15. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

The sadist in me loves watching the undertalented but clueless people get told by the judges that they aren't gonna get selected. :EVILLE:. I mean, who has been blowing sunshine up some of these people's behinds? Maybe some are too young and maybe a bit nervous, and they fudge the audition, but some of them are truly bad. And I cannot believe that a loving friend or family member would not tell them that they cannot really sing.

Unless, of course, it is all staged. :p

16. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

Was channel-chasing last night and was mildly interested when I scanned by, but the show doesn't have the pull for me that it used to have. I may take the BigB08822 approach and tune in for top 12.

O-

17. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

That is what I am doing, except I do love Steven Tyler's antics.

18. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

I turned it on but paid basically no attention. The auditions we have seen for a decade now and they are always the same. The first awful singer they showed cracked me up, though, especially when they played the original of the song she was attempting to sing and then cut to her last few bars :rofl: After that it really just became background noise as I worked on other stuff.

I'll tune again once the live shows start. I like to form my own opinion of the contestants rather than what Nigel wants me to think about each of them.

19. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

I'm not tuning in yet, I'm waiting for...the finale :p

20. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I'm taking a new approach to the auditions this season. I'm TiVoing, then just viewing anyone with good reviews on USAToday or rickey.org. From last night's show, it seems that I only need to view 5-10 minutes, total.

21. soxxy

soxxy Guest

That's a good idea. Find anyone promising?

22. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

To my ears, just the last guy, Phillip Phillips.
    btw, if anyone's interested, rickey.org has the Top 42 already spoiled.

23. soxxy

soxxy Guest

Thanks, I'll check out Phillip Phillips. (It's like a need a screener the first few weeks. :lol:

ETA: I liked him, especially when he picked up his guitar.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2012
  24. 4rkidz

4rkidz plotting, planning and travelling

me too.. and I really don't miss the snarks of Simon - just enjoying the audition process.. I like the focus on talent and not making fun of everyone..

25. kimkom

kimkom Two Pot Screamer

:rofl: :rofl:

I watch auditions, skip Hollywood week(s) and tune in again when they get to the live shows.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  26. Kruss

Kruss Not Auto-Tuned

I'm glad we're seeing actual singers and not the nutjobs. However, I see Uncle Nigel is already ramping up the creative edits to make it seem there's a sibling rivalry with the Dixons. I highly suspect there is none.

27. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

My two favourites:

Ashlee Altise - Ashlee got the edit that made her look like a whackjob...and then she rocks "Come Together". I think she looks to be a lot of fun in addition to beign a good singer.

David Leathers Jr. - luckily this clip doesn't include his back story, which was somewhat irritating. Of note: David was in a singing contest with Scotty McCreery a few years back where they were the final two - and David won.

I thought his first song (Superstition) was awful. For his second song (Thriller), the vocals were pretty good, but the guitar playing - AMAZING!!! :respec:

28. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Reed Grimm was my favorite last night.
    Looks like he made it through hell week.

29. soxxy

soxxy Guest

Watching the AI auditions "filtered through FSU" is much better for me! :lol:

I liked them both, and David could turn out to be amazing. He really does look twelve years old, as Jennifer repeated.

30. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

Not watching AI & having it filtered through FSU is even better. My husband reminded me last year that I said I wouldn't ever watch again. I don't remember saying that but I think I won't watch till Hollywood week is over.