American Idol 4/4-4/5 Top 8

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by shan, Apr 5, 2012.

1. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

The tour, perhaps?

2. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

Age IMO has not a lot to do with it. You're either a pageanty queen or you're not.

That's exacty why these kids need REAL MENTORS. My ears like Hollie's voice more than they like Jessica's but both of them need coaching. I think Hollie has already started to improve...she was completely relaxed & not in her head for her duet. I don't think there is more reason to critique her than Jessica but of course they made their pick & Hollie threatens her.

I think they are being short-sighted. Hollie is so marketable....she's young, she's pretty, she's got great hair & a cute figure, & a really good voice. I don't understand why the judges pick these kids & then try to sway voters to vote for one over the other. If they based it on talent that would be different, while still unfair, but they base it on the producer's whim. That's why I FF anytime the judges or Ryan is talking. They all make me sick.

3. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I think age has everything to do with it. 16 year old girls grow up. I don't see her as pageanty, I see her as trying to emulate older divas. It comes across awkward. But, she, with guidance, will work it out.

Hollie does have a great voice, but she lacks the control that Jessica has. Hollie is, sometimes all over the place with pitch. Jessica seems to be able to stay on pitch better. She is pretty and sweet. But, she is stiff and seems uncomfortable on stage. She can be worked with, as well. But I think Jessica is more comfortable performing. Even though she is a little schticky right now.

4. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

After Gunpowder and Lead (not only glorifying guns, but cigarettes :mad:) last week, and the vid with her and her pet gun (WTF does she shoot? :scream:) I looked at her face in the closeups during Wind Beneath My Wings and saw Tonya Harding with her hair dyed dark. Scary!

5. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

considering how the voting seems to go season after season, i wouldnt be surprised if her dirty harriet clip makes her more popular with some voters

6. cruisin

:lol:

:scream:

7. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I hear pitch issues in Hollie's transitions - she gets the big note though and I liked her vocal better than her physical performance - she looked nervous she was going to trip or something.

I made it back to the parts I missed and I liked all the duets and Jess and Josh the best. Colton was a little dull, weak performance for Phillip, let down after last week for Elise, Deandre better than usual, Skylar better than usual, but I heard some pitchy stuff there too.

8. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

I wonder if Hollie was nervous she was going to trip. They make the girls wear those really high heels, and if you aren't used to them, they can be intimidating.

Carly Smithson was on one of Michael Slezak's shows and her advice to the girls was to wear shoes you felt comfortable in.

9. nypanda

nypanda Well-Known Member

PL -- I thought the same thing -- Holly looked terrified of her (fierce) shoes. To me.

I disagree with a previous poster that she looked more relaxed during the duet. To my eyes, she barely acknowledged the other singer on the stage - much less worked with him. She sang her part just as she planned, then furrowed brow and zoned out until her next change to sing. Perhaps she was trying to remember the words? The blocking? Still -- girlfriend's got no poker face.

They're all on level ground as far as access to "real mentors". I think they're getting equally good/bad advice; what they do with it is up to them....

10. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I like Hollie much better when she's not singing big ballads. I thought she sounded so much better on the trio last week (wasn't it?) and duet this week.

Jessica is so talented, but she just doesn't hold my attention.

I have no preference between the two of them.

I did like Elise/Phillip duet much more than either of their solos.

I've never heard Wind Beneath My Wings with a twang. It was okay (a bit pageanty) and it was nice to see Skylar not stomping all over the stage.

I think my particular issue with Skylar and Jessica is that they seem to emulate their idols each week. I think this is the first week I haven't been reminded of Miranda Lambert when Skylar sings and Jessica sounds a lot like Beyonce.

11. cruisin

I thought she looked nervous, as well. She does this thing that skaters and dancers sometimes do, when they are nervous. Her shoulders go up and forward. that probably effects her singing as well. If she relaxed her shoulders, she would probably improve, all around.

12. my little pony

it never stops making me lol that they show all of j lo's videos during a "singing" competition

13. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

*Phew!* Hollie is safe, Elise hopefully will be safe, I want DeAndre gone.

14. my little pony

please dont save him

on the bright side, it looks like he could be j lo's next boyfriend, she's quite attached to him

15. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

No way in hell that should be saved.

16. Christina

Christina Well-Known Member

What/Who are The Wanted? They could have pretended to sing a little bit more.

I was hoping for Warrant or Poison last night. There is nothing like 80's hair metal, and most of it is difficult to sing.

17. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

I knew Jennifer would vote to save him :rolleyes: she's so useless. Thank goodness this is one of the few times the judges have had sense this season. Glad he's gone.

18. birdgal

birdgal New Member

Deandre?

19. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

Indeed. The falsetto and his performances have driven me nuts. Although Elise and her attitude strike me as holier than thou and doesn't admit fault.

20. birdgal

birdgal New Member

The falsetto also drove me nuts.

21. cruisin

Interesting that you said that. I am glad we won't be subjected to DeAndre's shrieking falsetto anymore. But, there has been something about Elise, that has irked me from day 1. As much as I thought she was fantastic last week, I couldn't feel excited for her. I think you hit it, it's her attitude, like she's above everyone else.

22. nypanda

nypanda Well-Known Member

*shrug* she's an artist in a show about becoming a package. Her choice...but I get her.

23. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Who is strangling the cat? Pickler? Awful :scream:

I have heard that The Wanted song before, but I didn't know who did it. And I didn't know the girls scream over them like they are the Beatles. Are the girls in the front paid to do this?

Result is fine with me.

24. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Wow. Thought for sure that the tweens would save DeAndre. Guess they've moved on to Christian bad boy Coltin.

As for Elise, she must know that she's not the best singer left. For gawd's sake, her roommate Erica sang rings around her and Phil works the rasp with much more passion and musicality. She's interesting, yes, but there's no way she should be thinking that she's the be all and end all.

25. flyingsit

flyingsit Well-Known Member

I think 2012 is (unfortunately) the year of the boy-band revival. Between this one and something called One Direction.