American Idol 4/20 and 4/21st Century

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by BigB08822, Apr 21, 2011.

Who did you like the best?

1. Haley Reinhart

14 vote(s)
    23.0%
  2. Jacob Lusk

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Lauren Alaina

3 vote(s)
    4.9%
  4. Stefano Langone

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. James Durbin

26 vote(s)
    42.6%
  6. Casey Abrams

13 vote(s)
    21.3%
  7. Scotty McCreery

4 vote(s)
    6.6%
  8. Hated em all

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  9. Loved em all

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

If James is going to struggle artistically, my guess is that it will be this week.

He was really upset at Stefano's departure. From the Stefano's journey clips, it looks like they were roomates from day 1.

ETA: if this includes songs Carole King co-wrote for other people, there might be something there for him to rock up? Like Loco-Motion? In fact, I Feel the Earth Move has some range to it that Jacob or James could work/shriek.
    Could be interesting.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  2. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I think Haley just doesn't connect with many Idol voters. She is more of a jazz singer and I think Idol is more pop/rock oriented.

I disagree with the above post that she comes off as a 12 year old. I think she has a very mature voice and style. But, as I said, I don't think the Idol audience necessarily appreciates (likes) it.

3. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I agree. At least the show gave her the opportunity to work with Casey. Perhaps there's a small venue tour in there somewhere.

4. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

I agree, I sure don't think she comes off as a 12 yr old. IMO she has acted VERY mature thru all the criticism & uneven treatment. Also I love her look, she is not beautiful but very cute & she has a :kickass: figure & I love most of her clothing choices. She is my favorite so far but then I love Norah Jones so I think I will want to buy Haley's CD if she stays true to herself & doesn't go too poppy. If you listen to her Itunes downloads, she sounds really good.

At least the show gave Casey the opportunity to work with her. He may be a good musician but he doesn't have 1/2 the voice she does.

5. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

I really like Norah Jones, but Haley's performances don't remind me of Norah. I liked her this week and I liked her in the duet with Casey last week, but most of her performances are over the top growly/sex kitteny with phrasing that doesn't relate much to the music. I think of Norah as subtle and nuanced, two words I would not use to describe Haley. I think Haley has a lot of potential and, unlike some other contestants, I see her learning and growing, so I'm keeping an open mind. But, I think she's going home either next week or the following week. If she couldn't stay out of the bottom three this week with those performances, she's toast.

Fantasia also was on. Have I forgotten Ruben? I assume Carrie will be on later this season. Jordin, too. All Kris got was a flash of him in the audience.

6. cailuj365

cailuj365 Well-Known Member

My comment had nothing to do with Haley outside her performance time, and I'll take your word for it that she's very mature. How old is she? Because I think her face looks really young, and with all her growling, it's like a high schooler pretending to act/perform like a grown-up. It's the opposite reaction I had with Allison Iraheta, who showed her age off the stage but her thick, husky voice made me think she was way older than she was.

Kris may as well be dead to the show's producers.

7. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I also missed it on AI.
    However, I liked the recording very much.

8. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

Haley is 20. The same age Kelly and Carrie were when they were on the show.

9. Allskate

That's been my reaction, too. I am starting to wonder, though, if at least some of this is being fueled by the producers. Michael Slezak said something on Idoloonies about hearing that Haley didn't want to do "Call Me." Today, Stefano is talking about how how he didn't get to show the kind of artist he wants to be. I kind of rolled my eyes at that, but I am getting the sense that, even more than in previous years, the producers are having a huge influence on what the contestants are doing. And maybe some 20 year-olds don't have the confidence to say no. When Casey didn't listen to Jimmy, Jimmy seemed pretty miffed about it and expressed his unhappiness on national tv in front of Idol voters.

10. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

Maybe he just wanted to be supportive? I'm not a big Muse fan (I find a lot of their lyrics pretty cheesy and the melodies they produce derivative), but Matt seems like a pretty cool guy.

11. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

ITA. Jimmy seems very set in his ways. I was hoping that he'd be an improvement, but he seems hell bent on making sure the contestants are doing it his way. I don't get the sense that Jimmy has an inner musician at all. He's promo and packaging.

12. cailuj365

I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case at all, but if the contestants don't have the confidence to say no now, I don't think they're going to find the confidence to do so later if they're going to make their first album under Jimmy.

13. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Good point, cailuj365

I think they deserve some leeway being so new to this and young but they do need to be able to speak up or they will never really be in control of their career and it could all be over before it starts and they will be left with nothing but regrets.

14. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Like 99.9% of singers who cut an album and are promptly dropped by the label.

15. Allskate

I don't think it will matter if they say no to Jimmy when they're making an album with him. They will have to do what he wants. I'm really hoping that Casey doesn't get a recording contract with Jimmy because I can imaging Casey making an album I'd like, but not with Jimmy.

Now is the time to be saying no to Jimmy if Jimmy doesn't want them to sing songs that would help attract an audience or record label that would want them to make the kind of music they want to make.

I don't care what Stefano says now about wanting to do contemporary R&B with hip-hop, he had so many weeks when he decided to do lounge-lizard songs and performances.

16. cailuj365

I'm not even sure if Jimmy would want to make a record with Casey. I've only been watching the performances, so I don't know Jimmy's persona very well, but I associate Jimmy with Eminem, Gaga, and BEP, and Casey is soooooo far from that...

I just read that Bruno Mars is going to be performing next week! Whee!

17. Allskate

Apparently, he's going to branch out then. He is going to make an album of ballads with Pia. I'm also pretty sure he'll end making one or two country albums with Scotty and Lauren. I don't think he'll sign Casey, either, though, which is one reason why Casey should ignore what he says, even if it means having Jimmy publicly say bad things about him. Jimmy was really ticked off when Casey finally didn't do what he was telling him to do and went back to doing jazz last week. That's really a shame because I think Jimmy's angry comments on the show might have made Casey think that he had to do the pop/rock thing.

18. Sally1214

Sally1214 Active Member

Am I the only who doesn't see the "star quality" in Lauren? The judges gush over her and Jimmie tells us that she has what it takes to win it. I just don't see it at all. She's OKAY but that's it, IMO. She takes no risks and just kind of bores me a bit every week.

Oh .. and I will be shocked if Haley doesn't sing "You Make Me Feel Like a Natural Woman" next week. Can't you just hear her growling on the "YOU" right now?

ETA: I think "Way Over Yonder" would suit Jacob perfectly.

19. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

Lauren already sang Natural Woman so I doubt Haley will do it. I was looking at a list of Carole King songs earlier & I couldn't find any that could be made to sound current. I hope I'm wrong. I remember a large number of them & most of them seem kind of hokey now.

BTW, I don't think Haley has been doing the growling the last couple of weeks.

20. cailuj365

She did some growling last week, I remember. Maybe not as much as in the past though.

21. Sally1214

Sally1214 Active Member

Okay, I'd forgotten about Lauren doing Natural Woman ... kind of proves my point that I always find her completely forgettable. ;)

Oh yes, Haley has been growling ... not so much this past week .. but the week before ... most definitely. Don't get me wrong - I LIKE the growl but just wish she'd pick her spots to do it and not overuse it.

22. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

True. I'm of that era and many of them sound juvenile and pretentious, mostly because the folk style lyrics are forced into a soft rock feel. The work of some of her contemporaries seem to have held up better - Joni Mitchell, Janis Ian, Laura Nyro - probably because they were targeting college radio, not Top 40 stations.

23. Kruss

Kruss Not Auto-Tuned

Many agree with you, as do I. She's nothing special. She can sing well, but has absolutely zero connection to anything she's singing. I don't think Lauren has understood the lyrics of anything she's sung thus far. However, she can shimmy her hips towards all the old men with the best of them, which I find rather gag-worthy. Her mother isn't doing her any favors in mentoring her to be a Lolita-style performer.

24. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Yes, I can't take away from her that she has a very good voice. I wonder if Idol made a mistake in lowering the age limit. I really think that connecting with the lyrics takes maturity and living. But, then, Idol is looking for pop, an most pop songs don't require much emotional connection.

25. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

I agree too. And the shimmying of hips is sickening.

BTW, we were almost spared having Jacob in AI this year, if not for a soft-on-crime judge. Jacob got in some trouble, nothing real serious, but then he failed to show up in court. So then when he got caught for (I think) speeding, he had a warrent for his arrest. The judge put him on 6 mos probation & fined him but Jacob pleaded that if he was on probation Idol wouldn't let him compete. So the judge dropped the probation. Rats!

I find it amusing that apparently Jacob sang the whole time he was in jail & there were some prisoners who were ready to beat the crap out of him to shut him up.

26. Allskate

OTOH, I remember Crystal doing a beautiful version of Natural Woman. And Crystal is going to be on next week.

I've been saying the same thing about Lauren being clueless about the lyrics all season long. But, I think a lot of this season's contestants don't have much connection with the lyrics.

27. BigB08822

Not that it matters but just because I find it interesting to know who likes who:

My 85 year old great grandmother likes Scotty...a lot

My Dad prefers James.

No one I know, and I mean that literally as in NO ONE, likes Jacob. Most use the word hate. We are obviously not his base of voters.

28. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Some of my 6th grade students think Scotty is cutest thing ever! (Of course I do live and teach in NC, and we get updates during the local newscast after each AI show.)

29. BigB08822

I should negative rep you for telling me this!!! :p

30. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Idol was looking for a Beiber that would bring in younger viewers and make them money.