American Idol 4/20 and 4/21st Century

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by BigB08822, Apr 21, 2011.

?

Who did you like the best?

1. Haley Reinhart

14 vote(s)
    23.0%
  2. Jacob Lusk

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Lauren Alaina

3 vote(s)
    4.9%
  4. Stefano Langone

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. James Durbin

26 vote(s)
    42.6%
  6. Casey Abrams

13 vote(s)
    21.3%
  7. Scotty McCreery

4 vote(s)
    6.6%
  8. Hated em all

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  9. Loved em all

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

hold a gun to her head until she writes one

2. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

Oh man............that is going to be..........not so good. How far in advance do you think they pick their themes?

3. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

I just read she has 463 songs........that she has either performed or authored.

4. cailuj365

cailuj365 New Member

A song about girls wanting to lick popsicles and wearing Daisy Duke's bikinis is more refreshing than all of the songs about love and heartbreak? :lol: 95% of all songs are about love/heartbreak/relationships/sex, and I can't think of a single Katy Perry single that doesn't fit in those categories. I'm not criticizing her, but I just don't understand which songs Brian was thinking of.

5. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

She probably wasn't. There was NO WAY they would let Scotty or Widdle Wauren sit on the Silver Stools of Doom unless he/she was actually going home. Whoever was 3rd from the bottom was safe anyway so they didn't have to humiliate whoever it really was. I read the comments on Slezak, EW, People, & one other board that I can't remember the name of & almost everyone said they were voting for Haley. Most people were pretty pissed too about how she is being thrown under the bus. I find it unlikely that she was actually in the B3. Of course we'll never know.

6. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Casey and Haley should do well with the theme. I think Scotty will find something, she has done a TON and it probably includes songs only written by her and performed by others.

I think Idol is truthful about the Bottom 3. I don't think they would lie about it. Just because everyone you know who is important was voting for Haley doesn't mean middle America was. The votes of those people are worth no more than Mary Sue in Arkansas.

I thought tonight's results were insanely predictable, my only question was would it be Jacob or Casey.

7. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

Brian said that not all of Katy's songs are about "love and heartbreak" and you asked which song that would be. I think that California Gurls is not about love and heartbreak. Sex is not the same as love and heartbreak. Whether or not the lyrics are good is a different issue.

8. BigB08822

A lot of her songs are not directly about love and/or heartbreak. You could make a connection but I am talking about the main theme. For example, I Kissed a Girl is very straight forward but it isn't about love or heartbreak. Just because it mentions a kiss doesn't make it about love of any kind. California Gurls was already mentioned. Even songs about love are given a fun twist, such as Waking Up in Vegas. It focuses more on the aspect of a Vegas romance than on the actual romance. Vegas and what goes on there is the central character, IMO. Lastly, Firework has nothing to do with love or relationships and no, I do not count "loving yourself" as making this a love song. You can almost always relate any song to love somehow but she is not obvious with it in her songwriting the way Kelly Clarkson is, for example.

9. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I don't get it either, I think she's great! I was really taken with James obvious distress about Stefano going.

10. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Crap. I was so hoping that Jacob would leave this week... :blah:

11. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

He could sing Smackwater Jack (or is it not on the list?)

12. Allskate

Carole King sang "Country Road." Scotty will be fine and he'll countrify whatever he sings, emphasize the accent, sing out of the side of his mouth, and be just as corny as any other week.

13. Kruss

Kruss Well-Known Member

He's singing Don't You Forget About Me in the finale, he's already confirmed. :)

As for tonight, he looked nervous, but I think it was okay - first time performing it live and all.

The bit with Beth and Steven Tyler? Hilarious, especially her giddiness and David shaking his head. :lol:

14. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

I didn't say everyone I know is voting for Haley. I said I read on various boards that the majority of those boards were voting for Haley. I don't know anyone in RL to discuss AI with.

And I'm not sure Idol is truthful about B3. I don't find (esp this year) that the producers have all that much integrity. Just look at the different ways in which they present the men vs the women.

15. BigB08822

I think they manipulate things as much as they can in order to get the results they want but I do believe the results are the results. It is just my opinion though, as you said, it can never be proven one way or the other.

16. Allskate

I don't think the people online are necssarily representative of all voters. Plus, I think even most of the people who do vote for Haley aren't power voting. So, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Haley really was bottom three. She's hanging in there. She might set the record for most times in bottom three. Who holds the record now? Kim Locke? Syesha?

17. BigB08822

It seemed like Kim Locke was in there every week and somehow she made the final 3.

18. cailuj365

cailuj365 New Member

I see your point, and I think Firework is the farthest from the "love" theme (although I feel like it's just a song that she wanted to release in order to capitalize on the current popularity of the whole "love yourself" theme). I never realized how Kelly really does focus on the angry/angsty breakup or "love you so much" theme. Interesting.

19. BigB08822

Yeah, I love Kelly Clarkson and I do respect her song writing but I hope she can branch out in her writing and subject matter as she grows. Maybe we will see more of that when she is free from RCA. Who knows what she has written that her fans never hear or see but even the stuff that leaks is all about heartbreak or being in love and there is very little in the way of layers or texture, if that makes any sense.

20. moebius

moebius Well-Known Member

Matt Bellamy was obviously lying when he said that James did a great job and he liked his version. How can he possibly like that performance (at least vocalwise)???

21. Allskate

Because the performance from James made Matt look even better in comparison? And because it exposed millions of people to a Muse song. Not everyone has heard it before.

22. Sally1214

Sally1214 Active Member

In answer to the question, "What will Scotty do?", one option would definitely be the one you suggested above ..

- OR -

Perhaps he could test your theory from last night ...

You're right full of ideas.

23. BigB08822

Great news!

Crystal is performing next week on the results show. She just posted it on Facebook!! Yay!

What happened to getting all the winners back since it is the 10th season?

We've had Kelly and David. Who else did I miss? I haven't watched other results shows. Maybe they will try something for the finale but it will be a little repetitive since they did that last year for Simon's goodbye and had all the winners except David.

24. cailuj365

cailuj365 New Member

Lee was on a few weeks ago. Easy to forget. ;)

I honestly think Matt Bellamy was punking James when he told him to go an octave higher. :yikes: I also think Muse will do anything to get their music more exposure in the US, such as agreeing to be on the Twilight soundtrack. :lol:

Regarding Kelly's songs, are ALL of her songs on the album like that though or just her singles? I can't believe RCA wouldn't want her to release a "Waking Up in Vegas" type song, as long as it's catchy and sounds good.

25. moebius

moebius Well-Known Member

That's a shame that they have to go through that route to get more exposure. Why can't they be like Radiohead, have a huge following, but not be too mainstream? I'm a bit selfish for wanting to keep Muse known only to those who became fans prior to Black Holes and Revelations/The Resistance/Twilight. Nevertheless, I think Muse has already conquered the US, playing in arenas, getting airplay on Top 40/adult contempo stations. The last thing I want them to become is a pop band, which is reflected in their latest song, 'I Belong To You' on the Eclipse soundtrack. I hope this isn't an indication of the direction of their next album.

26. cailuj365

cailuj365 New Member

I was kidding with that comment actually. I know Muse is already huge in the US. They don't really need to be played on the radio, make music for Twilight, email James Durbin, etc. for them to sell well here.

27. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

I didn't see these posted anywhere in the thread, but Haley's and James' studio versions from last night are :respec: :kickass:

James Durbin - Uprising (Studio Recording)

Haley Reinhart - Rollin' in the Deep (Studio Recording)

I didn't watch Casey's performance, so I have no idea how the live rendition compares, but here's the studio version of it:

Casey Abrams - Harder to Breathe (Studio Recording)

Lauren Alaina's studio version of learning to fly is miles better than the live performance - she has a lot more confidence to her voice (though it still sounds very young)

Lauren Alaina - Born to Fly (Studio Recording)

As for the other three, I couldn't be bothered to look them up :shuffle: .

Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  28. cailuj365

cailuj365 New Member

Everyone's such a big fan of Haley, but I'm not really feeling her. She looks and sounds like a 12-year-old girl to me. It's her thin frame and just something about how she pronounces her words when she sings.

29. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I could see Scotty doing something from the earlier stuff: Child of Mine, Way Over Yonder, and Peace in the Valley come to mind. The problem with her stuff is the arrangement of consonants in the lyrics as well as the rhythms that may not sound good to younger ears. It's hard to wail with a Carole King song. I think Scotty may actually have the easier time. James and especially Jacob may struggle.

AxelAnnie and (deleted member) like this.
  30. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Scotty auditioned with Frank Sinatra. I think he can sing anything he wants. He's either being told to stick to the same type of material or he's acting like a 17 yo and thinking he knows better than wiser heads, or some combination of the two.