American Idol 4/18-4/19

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by LuckyCharm, Apr 19, 2012.

?

Who didn't suck?

Poll closed Apr 21, 2012.
  1. Hollie Cavanagh

15 vote(s)
    39.5%
  2. Colton Dixon

5 vote(s)
    13.2%
  3. Elise Testone

13 vote(s)
    34.2%
  4. Phillip Phillips

22 vote(s)
    57.9%
  5. Jessica Sanchez

12 vote(s)
    31.6%
  6. Skylar Laine

18 vote(s)
    47.4%
  7. Joshua Ledet

14 vote(s)
    36.8%
  8. None of the above

2 vote(s)
    5.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

Apparently nobody cares anymore.

The show so far:
    The theme is "Then and Now." Everyone will do 2 numbers, one from 2000 or later, and one from before 2000.

1. Hollie sang "Rolling In the Deep" by Adele. This song officially needs to die, but she kicked ass on it. The hair, makeup, and outfit made her look a bit old and pageanty, but she's so cute. Pretty good feedback from the judges.

2. Colton sang "Bad Romance" by Gaga. Fair job. Faint praise from the judges compared to past weeks.

3. Elise sang "No One" by Alicia Keys. Strong work. Great dress. Positive judges' feedback.

4. Phillip sang "You Got It Bad" by Usher. One of his strongest performances. Tongue bath, especially from Randy. He's a true artist, blah, blah. I like him, but I don't find him particularly extraordinary or original.

5. Jessica sang "Falling" by Alicia Keys. Good job. Weird dress, but I think I like it. Cute hair. Tongue bath.

6. Skylar sang "Born This Way" by Gaga. Countrified version. I really dig it. Again, showing she can do more than shout and stomp.

7. Joshua with "I Believe" by Fantasia. Great suit. Pretty good job. Doesn't go too over the top. Standing O from judges.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  2. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

:lol: I was going to post that...

Hollie was the best she's been so far with rolling in the deep.

Colton was a hot mess with Gaga

Jessica was great again

Elise was decent but safe.

Skylar a bit of a mess with Gaga...

3. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

I missed the first half of the show (I forgot it was on until my Mom called me), so if anyone can recap the first round of performances (they're all singing twice tonight), that'd be great.

Mom did say that

- Hollie (1st up tonight) sang Rollin' In The Deep and did well,

- Colton did Bad Romance by Lady GaGa (she didn't like it, but then again, she cannot stand Colton),

- Elise did a song she wasn't familiar with (I found out from FORT is was No One by Alicia Keys) and Mom liked it a lot. Also that her dog is really sick :(

- P2 sang You Got It Bad by Usher and was FAB (standing ovation from the Judges)

And then hung up on me to watch Jessica (her absolute favorite) after lecturing me that she's by far the best singer this season by far and that I have it all wrong about her being robotic :rolleyes: :blah: )

- Jessica sang Fallin' by Alicia Keys. According to FORT, Jimmy Iovine said during the fluff that "Jessica doesn't deserve to be in the bottom three if she sings Yankee Doodle Dandy.") :rolleyes:

- Skylar - Country-Fried version of GaGa's Born This Way

- Joshua Fantasia's I Believe. And receives yet ANOTHER Standing O. Shoot me now.

4. LuckyCharm

Hollie's up again in a super cute pink dress. The 2nd number must not only be pre-millenium, but will also be from the category of "soul," in a tribute to Soul Train/Don Cornelius.

Hollie doing "Son of a Preacher Man" by Dusty Springfield. Looks more comfortable performing than she ever has before. Jimmy's coaching seems to have actually made a difference.

Judges loved it. She is improving, but I wonder if they got a "talking-to" about how they've been throwing her under the bus every week. Or maybe it was just "tough love" and it actually worked.

ETA: A comedic remake of Dark Shadows?:rolleyes:

And I love that Nike commercial with the couple running. I don't care what anyone says. It's adorable.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  5. LuckyCharm

Colton doing a soft rock version of "September" by Earth Wind & Fire. Mmmkay. It doesn't suck though. Judges look underwhelmed. Basically telling him it wasn't a great song choice and basically he's not doing enough for this stage in the competition, that he wasn't very exciting and needs to do something different.

6. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

Colton was just okay with that. Not great, could be in danger with Hollie tomorrow.

7. LuckyCharm

Elise doing "Let's Get It On" by Marvin Gaye. Good job but not that exciting. Standing O from much of the crowd. Jennifer thinks she needs to show more emotion. I kind of agree with regard to this performance. It was vocally well done but kind of detached. Steven says she need to take it up a notch. Agree again. She's one of my favorites left in the competition, but she doesn't wow enough to rally the vote. She's better when she rocks out.

8. LuckyCharm

Phillip doing "In the Midnight Hour" by Wilson Pickett. He's quite spazzy. I really want to like him. He's a doll, but he really doesn't have much of a voice when you get down to it. Judges and crowd loved this performance.

9. JILEN

JILEN New Member

Jennifer shut up already! Elize sucked with Let's Get It On. Was better with Alicia Keys song forgot the title though.

Philip Philips first performance I like so much better than The Midnight Hour..these people can't do no justice with these old faves. Wonder what Jess is gonna sing this time..,,no ballad please..

10. LuckyCharm

Jessica doing "Try a Little Tenderness" by Otis Redding. Over the top from the beginning...kinda cute arrangement though. Tongue bath. They like that she's "stepping out." Jen thinks she still needs to up the performance level and the emotion.

11. LuckyCharm

Skylar doing "I Heard It Through the Grapevine." A country-rock arrangement. Again, I'm digging it. A bit shouty though. Judges love it.

12. LuckyCharm

Joshua with "A Change Is Gonna Come" by Sam Cooke. I think he totally botched the lyrics at one point but I couldn't understand him clearly so I'm not sure. He actually shows some restraint until the very end. Not bad. Judges standing again. Jen actually begs "America" not to send him home.

13. Smiley0884

Smiley0884 New Member

Tonight was a good night over all.

Hollie- I loved her first and second songs :cheer2: She really stepped up her game tonight, and did a great job. Kudos to those who called it that she would sing first tonight :p

Colton- First song was decent. I kept picturing Adam Lambert doing this song though, and that didn't do him any favors, but I liked that he went for something different. Didn't care for the arrangement of his second song, but he did well enough.

Elise- Sick of Alicia Keys, but she did a good job on the first song. A little flat on some notes though. Second song was good aside from the screechy growl thingys, which I didn't care for. I did like her little snipe back at J.Lo though :rofl:

Philip-First song was great, one of my favorites from him. I'm not sure it was as original or that he's as much of an arteeeeest as the judges make him out to be, but it was a good vocal and an enjoyable performance. Second song was fun! Nice to see him without his crutch, err guitar ;) He's kinda awkward without it, but in a cute way.

Jessica- Great vocal for the first song, but self indulgent song choice as Simon would say :p I disagree with Steven though. Her performances are very "imitation" like. I'd like her to emote more genuinely like she did when she sang "The Prayer". Her second song was much more natural. I like her doing upbeat songs. Didn't really care for her pandering either. "Oh gee I thought they were coming on stage because they didn't like meeeeeee!" UGH. So. Fake. :rolleyes:

Skylar- One of my favorites! I feel like I'm watching an established singer performing, not just a contestant on a singing contest. Both of her songs tonight were :kickass: And I loved her dress for the second song.....I. Must. Have it.

Joshua-First song and second song were both good, but I thought the tongue bath was a bit much. There were a couple of sharp/screechy notes in there, while it was good overall, I really wish the judges would point out his shortcomings instead of the usual over the top praise. He cheats some of his belty notes and it drives me nuts.

14. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

My rank
    Joshua
    Jessica
    Phillip
    Skylar

Gap
    Elise
    Hollie
    Colton

15. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

1. Hollie - I'm sick of Rolling in the Deep but she sounded great, no deer in the headlight tonight, she looked relaxed & confident. Good job with Son of a Preacher Man, no one can do it like Dusty, but very good. I liked that she changed both songs up a little.

2. Colton - I still hate his hair, now it has a red streak. First song was ok but not great. 2nd was meh.

3. Elise - she came off as desperate, esp the 2nd song. I didn't like the arrangement of the 2nd song either.

4. Phillip - I thought his voice sounded flat in both songs. I like him, I like his stage presence, but the others have fabulous voices & he doesn't.

5. Jessica - she did Fallin' exactly like Alicia Keys & I've heard that exact version of Try a Little Tenderness too many times. She has a great voice but she has NO originality at all. Plus she's too rehearsed.

6. Skylar - I loved Born This Way, it was slightly better than Heard It Thru The Grapevine but both were very good & she's a natural on stage.

7. Joshua - Not too OTT but I still don't enjoy him. He makes such unpleasant faces when he sings & I think he does too much voice gymnastics.

Hollie/Skylar
    Jessica
    Joshua
    Colton
    Elise
    Phillip

16. JILEN

JILEN New Member

Skylar
    Phillip
    Jessica
    Holly
    Joshua
    Elize
    Colton

It's tough to guess who's going home tomorrow. I can deal with Colton getting the boot but it ain't happening this early I think.

17. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Elise singing "Let's Get It On" was :yikes::scream:

18. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

I'd send Colton home, but I don't think there's any way that's going to happen. If there is a surprise, I think it will be Skylar since she wasn't in the bottom three last week. But, I think the country audience will come out for her stronger than ever this week, and it may be Elise finally go home.

I hope it isn't Hollie because I think this was one of her best weeks. I feared for her when I learned she was doing Adele, but she held her own. (It was actually the contestants who did Lady Gaga songs that paled in comparison, especially Colton).

I also hope that Jessica doesn't go home. She just too talented. I'm guessing her fans will power vote after last week, though.

If Joshua's fans do the same thing, it might be Phillip's turn to finally end up in the bottom three. Phillip's fans might think he's safe.

19. phoenixflamezzz

phoenixflamezzz New Member

Colton turning September into a dirge...I can't.

20. puglover

puglover Active Member

Maybe I'm just too old to get this show anymore but I feel my jaw drop every time these judges open their mouths this year. They seem consistently over the top ecstatic for their favourites and so lukewarm and critical of the ones that don't seem to be the "chosen few". I think Colton and Philip are cute and good but not nearly as interesting as some of the former year contestants that haven't really done much since. I think Hollie is very cute and has a great voice - some criticism seems just but to me they are way too negative on her. Jessica is fantastic but I also get why she was almost sent home. Joshua would be nice to listen to for a song or two but not a whole album for me and they sure lavish the praise on him. I think I like Skylar and Elise the best. For me, Elise, though not always perfect, has a very likeable voice with such mellow tones and I could listen to her and not get tired of it. Skylar is just so much fun - I think she could be the spoiler in this. I just feel like the judges are commenting by agenda. And Jennifer drives me nuts. Where is Simon - damn.

21. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Elise is likely too "old" to be successful with AI's voting demographic.

22. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

At this point the only person I'd be disappointed with winning is Jessica. She has the potential to be great, but she's not there yet and I don't think they're doing her any favors by always fawning over her and never giving any constructive criticism.

23. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Jessica is young - and naturally talented enough - to be "molded" into whatever the record company/music industry wants/needs her to be.
    That's the reason AI/judges/etc. are "pushing" her with the audience.

24. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I actually am not in favor of Phillip winning because he will get schlock crap to sing. The contestants who are songwriters should be able to do their own stuff. Jessica/Joshua/Hollie and maybe Skylar would probably be fine with the schlock songs.

25. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

The fact that you all have voted Mr. Constipation as #1 in the attached poll (Mr. C. is votefortheworst's pick as well) is why I've been steering clear of these AI threads!! :lol:

26. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

I didn't vote for him. I think he's cute & a good musician but not a good singer.

27. phoenixflamezzz

And why Kelly and Carrie have been so successful. Although they did push Lee, which I still cannot get over.

But honestly, who actually thought Taylor/David/Kris Allen/Lee would ever become big stars? Maybe Kris since he had the look and was the poppiest of the lot, and even then, those types of artists don't become huge (John Mayer aside). Even Mraz who had some big hits, will open under 100k next week with his new album.

The only potential kind of contestants that will become big: female pop singer, country singer, and maybe, maybe a pop/r&b artist. I think Jessica and Skylar are the only two with any real potential to become big sellers.

28. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

I don't think Nigel really cares if the winner becomes big. The show doesn't get the money from the CD sales. That's why it's hard to understand why they push some contestants & not others. Kelly & Carrie won during seasons where the agenda wasn't so clear.

29. phoenixflamezzz

Nigel doesn't care, but I'm sure RCA did and now Jimmy Iovine/Interscope do since they're legally bounded to sign at least the winner.

30. LuckyCharm

opening number to "dancing in the street." lame.

josh and hollie in the hotseat. josh safe. hollie bottom 3.