American Idol 4/13 and 4/14 Poll

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by haribobo, Apr 14, 2011.

Who'd you like tonight?

1. James Durbin

57.4%
  2. Scotty McCreery

36.1%
  3. Casey Abrams

50.8%
  4. Stefano Langone

14.8%
  5. Jacob Lusk

23.0%
  6. Paul MacDonald

8.2%
  7. Haley Reinhart

16.4%
  8. Lauren Alaina

31.1%
  9. Loved everybody

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Hated everybody

6.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

Who'd you like tonight?

2. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

the electrician that came about my gas leak

3. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

Zakk Wylde?

4. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

:lol: That kinda sums up my feelings as well...

5. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

I fell asleep and hit the wrong button on my remote so I couldn't rewind it and watch.

6. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I liked Steven's blouse.

Oh, and the purple boots.

7. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

^ word...still a hottie :cool: sax player girl a close second!

8. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

James totally rocked it!! :respec: :respec: :respec:

Casey also gets a thumbs up from me because I've always loved the song Nature Boy... :)

9. phoenixflamezzz

phoenixflamezzz New Member

zzZZzzzZz.

last year' talent was bad and uninspiring, this year's talent is good but also uninspiring.

meh.

did not like what casey did to nature boy. lauren sang well but i hate that song. haley kind of ruined her momentum with that performance. paul continues to baffle and amuse me with how terrible he is. i still can't get past how thin and unpleasant james' voice/tone is. scotty remains on auto-pilot. and i thought jacob and stefano were both good tonight, though that's not saying much.

:blah::blah:

10. Sally1214

Sally1214 Active Member

Paul: Everything was bad. Vocals, dancing and the Porter Wagner suit.
    Lauren: Pretty decent job. Good song choice for her.
    Stefano: Did a really good job. Good vocals & overall performance.
    Scotty: Same old thing. Has a good voice but he's getting boring.
    Casey: Did not like it at all. But, then, I hate jazz, so ....
    Haley: Just okay. Kind of karaoke ... but wasn't Scotty?
    Jacob: Best of the night for me. I agree he has to move more.
    James: Not nearly as good as he thought he was. Zaak Wylde was great, but why was he even there??

I think Paul really needs to go home.

11. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

I think it's Haley, Stefano, Paul, and Casey vying for the bottom three this week.

Paul -- Jimmy wanted to add a beatbox to this song? WTF. I loved Will's response. Paul brings the fun, but I don't think I'd ever buy one of his albums.

Lauren -- the song choice didn't work for me, but I'm pretty sure I wasn't her target audience. I think she does better with uptempo, sassy songs. Her voice sounded a little tired. But, she's not going anywhere.

Jacob -- He looked like he got a smack down after last week and was trying to come across as more humble this week. I didn't care for his glory notes. It's hard not to compare this performance to Clay's, and I prefer Clay's. But, I think his fans will dial a lot after last week, and he'll be safe.

Stefano -- sorry dude, but the performance level still isn't there. I think it's your time to go. Back to the bottom three again.

Scotty -- It's getting really old. I wish he really would try something different for just one week. Even an uptempo country song. The band and backup singers got a little too loud at times. Didn't care for that last long note.

Casey -- I was surprised by how emotional he was talking afterwards. I'm really glad he did his thing. But, it might have been better to choose a song he likes that more people know. I think that will be a problem for him with the voting, and the slow tempo makes some of his pitch problems more obvious. He could end up in in the bottom three or go home, but I still think it's wise for him to really be himself. I think it's probably a good thing he won't make it to the finale and I really hope Jimmy Iovine doesn't sign him, because the album Jimmy would make with him probably isn't one I'd want to buy.

Haley -- Dang, I don't want another girl to go home, but this was not a very good performance. She did not look comfortable and she keeps trying to do every song the same way.

James -- Not my favorite of his performances. And more screams of course. I don't buy the "artist" schtick from him. He seems as real as a pro wrestler. But, the producers really love him. They didn't hold back with the guitarist and the production values. I don't know what Jimmy will do with him if he signs him.

12. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I am finishing up because I had to leave. I much much much preferred Scott's first choice of song. I was surprised he even knew it being how old it is. Classic song by an amazing artist. I still like the George Strait song but Harry Nilsson...so much cooler.

13. BigB08822

So Casey isn't comfortable singing "In The Air Tonight" but he was comfortable singing "Smells Like Teen Spirit?" Ok...

Either way, I thought he was pretty freaking terrific. It was surely something different and original and that is really really hard to do in the 10th season of Idol.

14. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

I missed the show tonight :wall: so I'm refreshing youtube and watching clips before they get removed as best I can.

James Durbin is the only one I've seen that has truly impressed (though when did this show become AI: Guitar Hero Version? (Not that I didn't enjoy the fcuk out of Zakk Wylde onstage :respec: ).

When Mom called and said James sang "Heavy Metal" my initial thought was the Don Felder song of the same name (Main theme from the movie) as opposed to the Hagar version. A lot of people give Hagar shit because of the Van Hagar era, but his earlier stuff did rock pretty hard (though it is more hard rock than true metal).

I've been searching my brain trying to find songs I would love to see him attempt. What I've come up with so far (mind you, each entire song really needs to be listened to in order to understand the potential):

Skid Row - Slave to the Grind. Sebastian Bach's vocals in this are something James could work with, plus the lyrics are clean enough to likely pass the AI censors.

Whitesnake - Still of the Night. Now WS is one of the hard rock bands I generally despise, but this is one of the few songs I can tolerate, and Dave Coverdell's vocals in it are amazing in parts. AI may have problems with the phrase "making love" :rolleyes:

Guns N Roses - Welcome to the Jungle There must be a clearance problem with this as Adam Lambert would have freaking KILLED this. James is less "broadway" than Lambert vocally, which could work to his benefit or detriment.

Iron Maiden - Run to the Hills Bruce Dickinson's vocals are incredible in this, especially as the song progresses. It would be a true test of high vocal range ability versus screeching.

Def Leppard - Rock Brigade Much lesser known song by them (from their first album, On Through the Night) and more arena/hard rock rather than metal. Joe Elliott's vocals are in a lower range and the actual singing is more melodic, but I feel this is a song James could really work with to "make his own" as the judges love to say.

Queen - Stone Cold Crazy Much harder than their more well-known songs. From their early (3rd) album Sheer Heart Attack from 1974. Metallica has covered this - awesomely fabulous song. Mercury's vocals are hard to top, but this is one of the few songs in which they could possibly be changed up.

It would never happen in a million years, but if he could sing Disturbed - Down With the Sickness I would forever love this show, no matter how shitty it became. Many might recognize part of the vocals at the beginning of the song as VH1 uses the "Ooh-WAH-AH-AH-AH!!" part in endless shows they produce. No way in hell would the censor weasels let a song about child abuse and the child's thoughts of revenge make it onto this family friendly show. I can only imagine the looks on the audience's faces with "You fcuker get up, come on get down with the sickness" or any of the raging, screaming during the latter portion of the song.

"And when I dream
    No mommy, don't do it again
    Don't do it again
    I'll be a good boy
    I'll be a good boy, I promise
    No mommy don't hit me
    Why did you have to hit me like that, mommy?
    Don't do it, you're hurting me
    Why did you have to be such a bitch
    Why don't you,
    Why don't you just fcuk off and die
    Why can't you just fcuk off and die
    Why can't you just leave here and die
    Never stick your hand in my face again bitch
    FCUK YOU
    I don't need this shit
    You stupid sadistic abusive fcuking whore
    How would you like to see how it feels mommy
    Here it comes, get ready to die"

Audience: :eek: :yikes: :respec: :scream: :cheer2: :wideeyes:

Me: :respec: :rofl: :respec: :rofl:

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  15. BigB08822

LMAO! They could not have edited Jacob to look any more like a beat puppy dog if they tried. It seems clear they like him a lot. Maybe they are going for the gospel singer vs. the country boy in finals being that it will be two genres who have never won. Country has won but never has a guy gotten close.

16. BigB08822

I still think Will.I.Am is winning me over big time. I vote that he becomes a permanent judge. My favorite segments have quickly become their time with Jimmy and him. I like what they both have to say and Will.I.Am is just hilarious.

17. BigB08822

It is kind of crazy watching James. He always gets the big guest stars and the production values on his numbers are so far ahead of what the others get. I don't know if that is just his input and ideas and no on else is taking advantage or if all of this is being offered to him but not others. His segments look pre-taped almost.

Interesting show though. We got everything from country to pure jazz to honest to goodness heavy metal.

18. cailuj365

cailuj365 Well-Known Member

I heard that Axl won't clear any of the songs. :/

I think James is highly entertaining to watch for TV purposes, but I'm still at a loss for what he would do to be commercially successful after Idol. Someone posted a comment online somewhere that made me laugh. "James is to heavy metal as suburban white boy is to rap. Not taken seriously." :lol:

19. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

I know I'm a week late with this, but I just watched the Glee repeat from Tuesday and I thought Mercedes and Santana sang 'River Deep Mountain High' better than Pia did. :p :scream:

And I rreeaallyy miss Simon. I've figured out that is why I'm so bored with this season. The judges are :yawn:. There have been several "whut the bloody hell was that" moments I would have loved to hear Simon's take on. :lol:

Oh ... and I hate James. :p

Habs and (deleted member) like this.
  20. rfisher

Which is probably getting him votes. The Idol book that came out last year said that the vote between Adam and Kris wasn't even close. Adam came across as threatening. The guyliner, nail polish, gayness... James, OTOH, comes across as "isn't he cute!" He's the poster boy, literally, for Tourette's, he's polite, and he likes pro wrestling like a little kid. He comes across as a kid. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him in the finals. I agree that I'm not certain how well he'll do as a commercial artist however. The real metal fans would die before they'd watch AI, attend an AI alum's concert, or buy an album. The teenybopper rock wannabes might do so for a while, but they'll mature and move on. He's a conundrum. Scotty will have an excellent career in Nashville and I think Lauren can as well. Casey is a jazz artist. He'll be a niche market, but can be successful. Jacob might well win a Dove award in the future. There's quite a bit of money in Christian music which is where Kris Allen is making his. Haley??? Don't see much future there. Stefano? No. Paul will go back to fronting his band like he's been doing.

21. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Smart of Casey to do the shout out to Esperanza Spalding. I see Casey having a ton of fun and earning a decent living playing small clubs.

James is a hoot! I hope he makes the finals because he makes me smile.

Sorry, but I still don't get Jacob. It seems that he's lost between owning the gospel singer label and trying to be something he's not. Total turnoff for me.

Same with Scotty. Some music teacher must have told him to hold the mic so people could see his face. Either that, or his music teacher admired the song stylings of Dean Martin. I can't get past the cheezy performance level.

The rest, meh.

My B3 would be Paul, Haley and Jacob.

22. PrincessLeppard

Yeah? Interesting.

Cuz I've also seen, you know, the actual American Idol tour. Twice.

23. rfisher

You're an exception and you know it. :rofl:

24. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

To add to PL's comment this "punk rock/metal up your ass Mom" probably will try to get tickets to go see this year's tour, which will be a first for me. :)

25. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

My summary as well,

I wish that Casey were a better singer. He's such a good musician
    The connections he's made through the show will allow him to have a good career - even if he's not the AI winner.

I don't think that the "mentor's advice" has been particularly helpful this season.

26. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I wonder how much of each arrangement is Casey's work? I know a couple of people like Casey, and they come in to the process with a aural picture of what they need and with the charts already printed out. If he's doing that work too, no wonder he's all stressed out.

27. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

He might have learned a lesson from his experience with "Smells Like Teen Spirit." From what he's done before and what he's said about his favorite artists and influences, "Nature Boy" is a lot more him that Teen Spirit is.

Realistically, how good do you think his chances are of having a successful career as a hard rocker/metal artist? I'm trying to think of what Jimmy Iovine would do with him.

28. PrincessLeppard

I don't know. I thought Marty Casey (who came in 2nd on Rock Star) and his band the Lovehammers, were going to be huge. (Their album "Murder on my Mind" is :kickass: ) And it didn't happen for them. :wuzrobbed

There is a rock market out there: 30 Seconds to Mars, My Chemical Romance, Hollywood Undead--but I don't know if that's the kind of rock he wants to do. If he wants to go more arena rock, I don't think he'll do well because there just isn't a market for that. *sniff*

ETA: Here are Slezak's choices for James: Might I suggest some “Round and Round” or “Photograph” or “Youth Gone Wild” or “Paradise City.” Girl, you didn’t know your Idol recapper could get down like that, didja? :)

"Photograph" (the awesome Def Leppard song, not the abomination spewed out by Nickelback) is really hard to sing well, and I don't think "Paradise City" can be edited down to 90 seconds.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  29. cailuj365

cailuj365 Well-Known Member

Even if Adam came across as "threatening" :)rolleyes:) to certain people, he obviously still got votes and made it to the finals, so I don't know if James' kid quality has anything to do with it really. I think it's more to do with the fact that he's entertaining compared to some of the other contestants. Also, why is liking pro wrestling being like a little kid? :confused:

30. rfisher

Did you see the clips of him playing in the mansion or when Hulk Hogan came on stage? All the people at work, and most would certainly not classify themselves as liking the type of music he sings, think he's endearing and throw him a few votes. That's very different to what they said about Adam Lambert. While this is a small group, they are representative of people who watch AI and vote for the contestants. Yes, Adam clearly got votes, but he didn't win the contest and the vote spread between he and Kris was apparently quite large. You should get the new book. It's actually quite interesting about a lot of the back stage stuff on Idol.