American Idol 2013: I wsh I knew how to quit you...

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by LuckyCharm, Jan 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

Paul
    Devin
    Elijah
    Charlie
    Curtis

I picked 4 of the 5 - I should have picked Elijah because the judges gushed all over him. His vocal was very weak & I don't even think he's cute in the least so I couldn't understand why the judges think he has "it". I sure didn't see it. Jimmy & Johnny were both kind of generic but they did a better job than Elijah but you could tell they weren't going thru just because of their feedback. I also thought JDA was better than him too. Kevin & Chris were both pretty bad. So was Charlie but I love Charlie so I didn't mind him going thru. (So I'm a hypocrite - sue me.)

The only person that really excited me was Devin. The powerful voice coming out of that unassuming person is a little surprising but I love his voice. The only performance I hated was Curtis's. He is so OTT & pretentious.

2. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

Rocket Man.

3. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I hated the guy with the bedazzled Jaclyn Smith sheet on his head. It was so distracting. Plus his singing was off. I knew they'd get rid of him as soon as he stepped on stage.

4. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

Wow. That was a bad night. What was Nicki smoking? Elijah was literally painful at points. And then she gave Charlie a standing ovation? Dorky does not equate to Freddie Mercury.

5. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Anyone notice that Jimmy Smith looks kind of like Charlie White? :D

6. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

If I had been a judge, I would have fought for Jda until it got bloody. I was thoroughly entertained, plus I love "Rumour Has It". Yes, at some points he sounded flat/nasally, but other parts of his vocal were quite good and he didn't waver/lose the melody like half of the other guys.

Elijah ("Talkin' To The Moon"???) was good but not great. I think he does have potential but didn't bring it tonight like I think he can.

Paul Jolley (Evan Lysacek II) was my third favourite of the night. BUT STOP DOING MOPEY BALLADS, PEOPLE!!! He's a good singer, though. (P.S. To the guys...Keith Urban has a LOT of GREAT uptemp songs!)

Devin was my fourth favourite. See my comments for Elijah. :)

And lastly, I would have put Johnny Keyser through. Same as Elijah and Devin, but a decent performance.

I thought Charlie was AWFUL. He's been endearing with his awkwardness, but that was when he was also humble. Now he has a bit of a cocky thing happening and he does NOT wear it well. I thought his vocal was the WORST of the night, actually. I never need to hear that again.

Curtis. I cannot put into words how much I dislike him. Smug. So far beyond overdone that there isn't a word to get this across. Immodest. The faces/grimaces he makes, both when he's performing as well as not (getting feedback)...so off-putting. If he was female, he'd make for a good soap opera villian, the type that'd be described as a 'two-faced beyotch'. He said nasty sh... during the group rehearsals and then later talks as if he's Mr. Positivity. I can't remember the last time I've disliked anyone even remotely close to this. It's all I can do to get through a performance of his. :blah:

7. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

Spot-on analysis of Curtis, Charlie, & JDA. But I'm curious, if Devin was your 4th favorite, who do you think was better other than JDA? I thought Paul, Johnny, & Jimmy did what I would call a decent job so I would rank them Devin, Paul, Jimmy, Johnny, JDA. I loved JDA's performance but his vocal had problems. Marginal was Chris & Kevin, then way below them were Elijah, Charlie, & Curtis (for me).

I've been liking Charlie so far but he obviously got into the top 10 based on his previous work. And it may be that he has never received so much acceptance in his life & it's gone to his head a little (or a lot). But he will get no more excuses from me - from now on he needs to bring it or I'm done with him.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  8. Alixana

Alixana who is on vacation!!

Agreed. Thank goodness for PVR/DVR .. some nights I wear out the fast forward button. :lol:

9. merrywidow

merrywidow Well-Known Member

ITA about Curtis, nice voice but unbearable to watch. My favorite definitely was Devin. Keiser should have gone through over Charlie IMO. I'm not all that impressed so far by the judges choices for either the men or women. Nikki is ridiculous with her comments, "I want to have your babies", etc.. She must be desparate for a man/boy! Almost forgot to mention J'da. I was surprised they didn't put him through after the audience reaction to his performance. Fun!

10. nypanda

nypanda Well-Known Member

I'd bet the farm that the judges had no say whatsoever in the JDA boot. The producers walked through and said "hell no". Which is sad but prudent...can't cater to to a new demographic while alientating your base. JDA knew exactly what he was doing - he'll be fine.

I also suspect that the Jimmy Iovine decision was not just whether or not to keep Paul but in fact to choose between Jonny and Paul. They fit the same niche.

11. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

ITA, nypanda.
    Performers who are going to "push the envelope" need to realize that they need; and be willing to, "temper" themselves somewhat if they want to reach a national audience.

12. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I thought a number of the guys had better vocals than Jda. But before I posted, I thought back on the performances and the guys with better vocals were not performances I wanted to see (or even hear) again. But I wanted more Jda. I would have preferred a mini-Jda concert over hearing a handful of the other guys even once. But I'm wondering...

20 have been whittled down to 10 and next week the same thing happens. The week after that, the audience votes and the 20 becomes 10, right? Or am I mistaken and 20 becomes 12? If it's the former, then we have two or three open spots?? There has never been a top 10 since season one, right...we always have a top twelve or thirteen and when that's whittled down to 10, that top 10 is the group that gets to go on tour. So will there be a wild card week? Or will the three new judges each get to add one favourite performer to the top 10? So maybe some of our favourites that get dropped will be seen again??

13. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

Good gawd I thought they were all awful! What a boring night! JDA was the only one who was even remotely entertaining to me, but I knew he would not make it due to he is also just a wee bit polarizing to the masses. :lol: Why do they always sing those gawd awful ballads! Sing something uptempo for once!

14. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

The men IMO were amongst the worst I've seen on AI. Curtis is no Luther...how dare he try to sing that Superstar song; it was too big for him. Luther even outdid Karen Carpenter and it was HER song.
    I too like Jda...Adam Lambert threw down that gauntlet, he did, he did...

15. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Adam managed to be "himself" without alienating the mass audience.
    Jda - and others who hope to do the same - take note.

Sassafras and (deleted member) like this.
  16. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Curtis... :scream:

17. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

If we're talking about vocals and not looks, personality, or "performing ability," I thought that Curtis was the best vocally last night. Followed by Devin. Maybe it's because I hadn't seen Curtis before, but his personality didn't affect my assessment of his vocals. IMO, he deserved to go through. But, he probably will not last long once the voting starts because it seems that everyone hates him.

18. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

His mother was in the audience. She seemed to find him tolerable.

19. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

I like Curtis vocally, but you would think as long as American Idol has been around contestants who are serious about winning would be aware that to win they have to get people to vote for them which means being at least somewhat likable.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  20. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

give her time

21. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

I found Curtis's looks off-putting before he ever opened his mouth in the first audition. He can't help having teeny weeny eyes but when he closes them to slits & makes all the grimaces he looks comical & then he draws out his notes as though he has to slow down so we can enjoy every nuance. Even if he hadn't been obnoxious in the group round I wouldn't have been drawn to him. He does have a good voice but there are plenty of great singers in the world - I believe I can do without him just fine.

Re his mother - you can sure see where he got his looks.

22. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

Allison's new band

I wasn't crazy about the music, but maybe it'll sound better in the studio. I'm excited that it's a rock album. :)

23. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I wasn't very excited about the music from Halo Circus either but the sound was really awful. We are talking, really really awful. I don't know why you would make your debut online and not make sure you had decent equipment to pick up the sound.

24. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

25. BigB08822

No one has even been snark worthy tonight...:shuffle: Is that snark worthy, not being snark worthy? This is some paradox.

26. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Rachel FTW

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  27. BigB08822

I thought Aubrey was amazing and the girl from LaPlace was pretty good. The one who I thought was really disappointing was the gospel backup singer and yet the judges gave her a standing ovation. I thought the rasp was way too much and she struggled to my ears. I was thinking "this is one who will not be going further" and was really shocked when I saw/heard the judges reactions.

28. BigB08822

Best song choice...ever? Lion King for the win...lol

29. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

I'm at a lost of words with the Liberian woman.

30. martian_girl

martian_girl New Member

Its kind of a trainwreck, but you've got admire her guts. :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.