American Idol 2013: I wsh I knew how to quit you...

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by LuckyCharm, Jan 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. taf2002

taf2002 Well-Known Member

I found Curtis's looks off-putting before he ever opened his mouth in the first audition. He can't help having teeny weeny eyes but when he closes them to slits & makes all the grimaces he looks comical & then he draws out his notes as though he has to slow down so we can enjoy every nuance. Even if he hadn't been obnoxious in the group round I wouldn't have been drawn to him. He does have a good voice but there are plenty of great singers in the world - I believe I can do without him just fine.

Re his mother - you can sure see where he got his looks.
  2. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

Allison's new band

I wasn't crazy about the music, but maybe it'll sound better in the studio. I'm excited that it's a rock album. :)
  3. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I wasn't very excited about the music from Halo Circus either but the sound was really awful. We are talking, really really awful. I don't know why you would make your debut online and not make sure you had decent equipment to pick up the sound.
  4. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

5. BigB08822

No one has even been snark worthy tonight...:shuffle: Is that snark worthy, not being snark worthy? This is some paradox.
  6. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Rachel FTW
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  7. BigB08822

I thought Aubrey was amazing and the girl from LaPlace was pretty good. The one who I thought was really disappointing was the gospel backup singer and yet the judges gave her a standing ovation. I thought the rasp was way too much and she struggled to my ears. I was thinking "this is one who will not be going further" and was really shocked when I saw/heard the judges reactions.
  8. BigB08822

Best song choice...ever? Lion King for the win...lol
  9. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

I'm at a lost of words with the Liberian woman.
  10. martian_girl

martian_girl New Member

Its kind of a trainwreck, but you've got admire her guts. :lol:
  11. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

zonette's vibrato brings all the goats to the yard
  12. BigB08822

13. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

And she's so dramatic.
  14. martian_girl

martian_girl New Member

I get the feeling that Julianna will be fantastic in a year or two. Still, I'm slightly shocked that they didn't put her through.
  15. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

Candace has a really good voice; she reminds me of the R&B singer Kelly Price
  16. martian_girl

martian_girl New Member

Not surprised they axed Jet. Lovely voice, but I don't think she's what they are looking for this year.
  17. Alixana

Alixana recovering Oly-holic

Thanks .. I needed a good laugh tonight. :rofl:

ETA: That last note of Zoannette's was incredible! In a good way AND in a bad way! :rofl::rofl:
    And she makes it through .. the craziness continues!
  18. BigB08822

What the hell just happened? They put through the country blonde girl...Janelle? She had the WORST vocal of any of the girls, both this week and last. It was god awful.
  19. Smiley0884

Smiley0884 New Member

But golly gee whizz she wants to be like DOLLY!!! :blah:

The other country girl was so much better, as was the 15 year old with the guitar. Tonight's talent pool was a lot better than last weeks, it's ridiculous. I really wish Ameriker got a say in this. That's what sets American Idol a part from the other reality singing shows where the judges have more power. The previous formats for semi finals were a lot better.
  20. taf2002

To me Candice was the only one who was a clear choice to go thru. However Christobel is one of my favs & I thought she deserved it over some of the others. I didn't like either Aubrey or Breanna & putting Zonette thru was a joke. I liked Jenelle at first but she's been acting awfully entitled but not sounding her best & I agree Rachel was better tonight. BTW Zonette seems very popular with the others & she strikes me a person whose personality I would like but she doesn't have a very good voice. I'm not disparaging her or Aubrey & Breanna, just their singing ability. Overall it was a pretty dismal night.
  21. Smiley0884

Smiley0884 New Member

I can't be bothered to remember names, but I don't get the fawning over that pageant performance by the girl in the gold dress singing Beyonce. So phony and disconnected. God these girls make me miss Jessica Sanchez, and I thought she was a bit pageant! I can take Zonette in small doses...I agree with her going through if only because she wasn't a total snoozefest.
  22. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

23. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

I think Zoanette is a hot mess. I couldn't believe they put her through with her original audition. She's a superstar? She can't be gone soon enough for me.

I agree that Rachel was better than Janelle. I guess she's this year's blonde country singer.

Not a good night. I think they're choosing people based on personality and looks and target audiences far too much.
  24. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i have a hard time believing zonette is 20 unless they use different numbers in liberia
  25. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

She may be older than 20, but I'm looking forward to seeing what she looks like when the stylists get to her. For that alone, I'd have put her through. It's not like they've left winners out of the final group.
  26. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Jett was my favourite of the night. She did not make it through. :(

She was my #2 choice for the night. She did not make it through. :wuzrobbed

In my opinion Zoanette was the worst of the night...and she made it through... :mad:

Janelle was close to being my least favourite of the night. She did make it through. :angryfire
  27. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Amen, to the above.
    What are they looking for this year?
  28. taf2002

They may not have left winners out but they definitely did leave people out who deserved top 20 more than some of those chosen. So potentially a more deserving person may have hung on long enough to go on tour & make a boatload of money. These top 20 will get at least one more week of exposure, which IMO should have gone to some people who were eliminated. So it's not too much consolation to those people that they wouldn't have won anyway. And I predict that Zoanette will go on tour because if nothing else, VFTW will vote for her.
  29. chantilly

chantilly Active Member

I also felt like I was listening to a different show and watching a different show. Zonette going through was a joke. It was a clever music choice based on her life experience etc but to me that isn't why someone should go through. She also sang terribly. She is a hot mess in every way. I also was surprised that they didn't put Julianna through. I loved her and she was so different. I would have kept Julianna and got rid of Zonette and got rid of Breanna and chose Rachel. Julianna was a breath of fresh air to me because she wasn't about some big voice. I honestly am over the big voice thing. I just want someone who is unique and emotionally connected to the songs. Janelle was damn lucky they saved her. Because she wasn't good last night. Although she has been in the past. I liked Rachel but she has to find a little bit more depth if she wants to be a true artist. She comes off very Miss America. I liked Aubrey OK. But I think she made it through based on the whole package thing rather than her voice to be honest. She is good but I wasn't blown away. But the saddest thing to me is that all these girls were better than the boys last week. They should just stop picking the singers based on gender and just pick the best talent. Some may argue that it is rigged for a girl to won this year. Maybe so. But the guys were so awful last week. the " best " guy didn't hold a candle to any of these girls this week.
  30. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

I have to disagree there. Elijah has something special, just wait, you will see some good things coming from him I think. What he put out last week wasn't fantastic, but somehow I still loved it. It reminds me a bit of the first time I saw Blake Lewis or Kris Allen. The vocal was a bit shaky but there was some spark there that kept them on my mind and then a few weeks later they are putting out amazing performances week in and week out. For me last night, there was zero spark for Jett, Cristabel, Janelle, and Melinda. Aubrey and Breanna were rather dull, and Rachel while enjoyable came off pretty amateur. Juliana gave me goosebumps and I'd have put her through FOR SURE, but she's gone now. Zoanette was fun, I get putting her through for the spectacle- and she does have skills, she just needs a TON of vocal coaching. So that leaves us with Candice, who was great in a way but the song was a bit dull and dated (and she didn't quite do what Kelly Clarkson did to it), and she can and will do way better things in the future. So when you put the 5 who went through against an Elijah, I see him outlasting most of these girls. And Tenna, Amber, and Adriana too. We'll see what the guys tonight have in store...
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  31. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I think that they see another Fantasia in her...I don't.
  32. Allskate

Idol has me baffled this season.

What is up with Nicki? Have the producers told her to be an obnoxious beeyotch who focuses on things other than the vocals? She was just downright mean to David Willis and Bryant Tedeo who, IMO, sang justr as well or better than some of the singers she has raved about. And what does hurricane Katrina, losing weight, and getting out tha 'hood have to do with whether someone should advance?

Even Lazaro himself realized he didn't sing well, but I guess the judges (or producers) didn't care. He stutters and is cute, so his backstory trumps his vocals.

I saw enough of Zoanette last night. I didn't need to see her again tonight. I don't think I can keep watching if this season is going to be the Nicki and Zoanette show.
  33. taf2002

I think Lazaro was better than Vincent and Burnell. I thought Bryant was the only one who was robbed tonight but no one really knocked it out of the park. I didn't particualarly like Cortez's song but I thought he did the best of all of them. I would put Nick#2 & Bryant #3. I didn't have a #4 or #5. The rest all sucked IMO.
  34. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

WOW.

And I mean that in a bad way...

:barf:
    Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  35. Allskate

Even Lazaro himself knew he didn't sing well.

Here's Melinda Doolittle's tweet about Lazaro: "Ummm ... you know I love Laz right? I think that's all I wil say right now." :lol:
  36. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I think I would have sent Lazaro home. He mumbled most of his song and held the microphone to close to his mouth. And I'd have kept the Singh guy - I liked his voice and the fact that he was an untraditional American Idol. I can't believe they let that hipster guy with that awful hat and weak vocals stay at all.
  37. Smiley0884

Smiley0884 New Member

I wasn't a huge fan of David's song choice, but he still did something interesting with it, and he's a true musician, so I liked that about him. I just don't understand why he got hosed while some others who were quite mediocre got a tounge bath. I definitely would have put him in over hipster hat guy.

I love Laz, but last night was shaky. Normally I would think he doesn't deserve to go through, but it's not like anyone else was that impressive.

The problem here is that the judges are putting people through based on their body of work (and obviously producer biases) and it's not fair to America when we haven't seen everyone's body of work, just glimpses. Some contestants have gotten more screen time than others during Hollywood rounds, so it adds to the confusion. At this stage of the game America should be deciding.
  38. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

They sent that one guy home who not only sang well, but wrote his own song, "I'm Better With You". I really liked him, and they sent him home. Nicky Minaj is already on my nerves.
  39. Smiley0884

Smiley0884 New Member

I liked him too Rex. I didn't LOVE the song, but it was cute, and I liked that he was showing exactly who he is as an artist. But he was TOO cute, and too many girls would have voted. Can't have another WG win!!! :blah:
  40. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

WG? That must be one of the seasons I missed. Who's that?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.