American Idol 2013: I wsh I knew how to quit you...

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by LuckyCharm, Jan 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

This will be interesting. He is a very, very good vocalist. But on the show, he was one mean piece of sh** who then went on to say to the judges that he wanted to inspire people with his music. Will the viewers remember how nasty he was? Or will his excellent vocal performances make them forget?

2. 4rkidz

4rkidz GPF Barcelona here I come

I kind of like Kaz's unique voice.. but her personality totally turns me off.. the diva artistic attitude?? But then sometimes it's how the producers package the contestants so won't judge till after the live show starts.. I liked several of both the men and women's top 20 but I don't really get invested until after the live shows..

3. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

I remember hearing her do a beautiful version of "Crazy."

It's going to be quite a year for Crystal. She's got an album coming out the end of next month. Here's a duet with Jakob Dylan that is on the album:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...tches-with-jakob-dylan-song-premiere-20130215 .

I really like the combination of Americana/country and rock she's been doing the last couple of years.

4. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

I don't know how Zoanette is only 20 (or whatever age she says she is).

Her unpredictability makes her a liability in the live shows. I love Angela Milller. There's also a girl who looks like Rihanna that's gotten zero screentime that I think is good (she's made it far the last couple seasons).

Totally bummed Adrien Miller got cut with like 10 seconds of screentime. Great voice, great look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fGgHDanAms.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  5. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

6. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

Totally agree. I want to see a birth certificate. :lol: And how she made it thru on that drum solo where she just sang the judges names and a bunch of jibberish words I'll never know.

I'm guessing she made the Top 20 Girls simply for the drama she will create when she gets cut. Lawdy I hope she gets cut! I don't think I will be able to take much of her.

7. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

ZOMG. Schuba's version of Born This Way just kicked all kinds of ass. :kickass:

Keith is confused. Meh.

Okay, she was the first contestant who didn't put me to sleep, so the judges crap all over her. I may be over this show. Again.

RANDY SAYS TOO MANY RUNS?? :wall:

8. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

That was one of the WORST performances I have ever heard, and she is top 20 material for the girls? OUCH!!! Why did she even sing that song? It sounded country in parts and had some swag (as Nicki put it) in others. Very confusing.

I thought the girl who did Lady Gaga was really good. Yeah. too quirky and too many runs for me but she has real vocal talent and I would like to hear more from her.

Wow, Kree was amazing. I like her just from looking at her. She seems very no-nonsense. Just happy doing her thing and she happens to be very good at it.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  9. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I don't think I can watch this season because I. Cannot. Stand. Nikki Minaj. I'll have to mute her to keep from breaking my TV.

10. BigB08822

Angela Miller was okay. Nothing special, really.

By the way, Brandy Hotard is related to someone I work with. I work in the same school district as Port Allen. I doubt she makes it through, though.

I loved the gay Kindle commercial! I expect to see that on Logo or Bravo, not during primetime and during the biggest show on television. Nice!

11. martian_girl

martian_girl New Member

They are going to drag these cuts out for 20 minutes. Ugh.

12. PrincessLeppard

Are they only going to do a top ten this year and not twelve?

13. martian_girl

martian_girl New Member

Even though I thought her arrangement was a mess, I would have kept Schuba.

14. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

I thought they all sounded like ass. And why couldn't they have all the women perform tonight? They really like dragging this show out. Sheesh.

15. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

I thought there were some amazing performances tonight. I had a top 6 written down so I eliminated Tenna & as it worked out, I should have eliminated Shuba. I do think Shuba has more potential than Tenna. She seems more marketable & has a better voice. I didn't like her arrangement of Born This Way though. Of the top 5 Angela was my least favorite tonight but I thought the judges should have kept her on the strength of that original song last week. It was beautiful. I liked Kree the best tonight, then Adriana, & Amber, in that order. I've already listened to Kree twice so far & I haven't erased my recording because I might want to listen to her again. That last note was crazy.

BTW Tesla, how does one sound like ass? As for dragging the show out, apparently you haven't ever watched Idol before. This is SOP.

16. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

Oh, taf, you really don't want to know, do you? :p

17. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

Its amazing to me how many people just HATE Nicki Minaj. I find her to be honest, refreshing, and fun. Oh well. Anyway I think Angela was the best to me tonight- she didn't knock it all the way out of the park but she really did her thing and it was a great choice for her. Amber, while good, doesn't hold a candle to Melinda Doolittle on that song. Ditto for Kree vs. Crystal Bowersox, though I did like Kree a lot too. Latonio and Tenna had blah songs but I guess they deserved to make it. Felt terrible for Brandy but she just didn't have it on that song- Kim Caldwell did a wonderful job with that song on season 2 and nobody's sung it since. I can't believe Kamaria did Mr. Know it All- what a horrrrrrrrrible song choice for her. Isabel was karaoke crap, and Shubha, no thanks. People may be crying wuzrobbed for Shubha tonight but I guarantee you after next week's girls perform, nobody will remember she ever existed- its gonna be a barn burner! Guys group 1 taped tonight -spoilers will be on idolforums and mjbigblog at some point...

18. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i'm surprised at how much i like/tolerate nicki. i just hate every other thing so i'm in a bind.

19. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

I've skipped a lot of the auditions because I just couldn't sit through bad singers and that much of Nicki Minaj. So, tonight was my first time seeing Kree. I liked her performance the most tonight. Based on tonight's performances, I had no problem with the judges' decisions. Unfortunately, I think Shubha blew it. :-(

20. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

Shuba was horrible. The song choice was bad, the arrangement was worse. Only the girl who sang Kelly Clarkson was worse.

I thought Kree was a standout, and I really loved Adriana (the Filipino girl from Alaska) and Amber ("My Funny Valentine"). Of course Angela was making it through. Scratching my head over Tenna, but she is likable.

21. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

Nicki was pretty obnoxious the first couple of episodes so I thought I was going to hate her but she actually gives some good advice so she's a lot easier to take than Randy. She doesn't ramble as bad as she did at first & she's pretty much quit rolling her eyes at everything Mariah says. I think Mariah's heart is in the right place but she isn't as natural as Nicki & Keith. She seems to have trouble organizing her thoughts but she seems to care about the contestants & seems to want to give them good feedback. When she makes diva-ish comments they are done in a tongue-in-cheek way like she's actually poking fun at herself but sometimes people take it seriously as though she's that conceited.

Randy is so insufferable that when he says something insightful I'm completely shocked. He's so embarrassing that he makes me squirm at times, like when he made fun of Shuba's name (is he in 3rd grade?) or when he told an Asian contestant that "you look like you should be doing my taxes". I guess in his world that racial profiling is a good thing.

22. Sassafras

Sassafras Well-Known Member

Regarding the judges, I will end up treating them the same way I treat the judges on DWTS. I will watch the performances and mute the judges. The same thing goes for the sob stories.
    That's quite a difference from The Voice where listening to the judges can be the best part of the show.

23. Smiley0884

Smiley0884 New Member

Mariah is light years better than Jennifer Lopez, as well as Paula, although I did enjoy Paula for the unintentional comic relief. Nicki annoys me in general, but she's actually not bad as a judge, so long as she keeps the diva antics to a minimum. I'm not a huge fan of her going easier on her favorites (usually based on "personality" more than vocals) but I do like that she calls out the sob story and whiners' B.S. Randy is dated and needs to go. This show doesn't need 4 judges.

Kree was the only one who stood out for me. I couldn't believe Keith and Randy stood for Adriana. They are just so desperate for a girl to win. Adriana has a beautiful tone to her voice, but zero orginality/artistry/personality. Nice vocals totally Zzzz GFB performance. I didn't care for her faux sympathy towards Schuba either. "Everything happens for a reason!! I know we'll still keep in touch!" Barf. None of these girls compare to Elise/Holly/Jessica/Skylar for me.

24. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

Oh, Elise. Be still my beating heart. Hollie too. :swoon:

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  25. PrincessLeppard

I'm still bitter about Alison leaving before Danny. :lynch:

If this season turns into a bunch of soaring ballads, I'm going to have to not watch. My ballad tolerance is very, very low.

And the Camp Mariah chick only got through because of that connection. I was not impressed.

26. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

I agree. As I said before, I would have gone with Shuba in her place but I have to admit that Shuba sabotaged herself. OTOH Angela wasn't very good last night but she got thru on her previous body of work and I think Shuba should have also. I wonder which judge fought for Shuba?

27. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Are you talking about the lady who is opening for FREAKIN' B. B. KING??? :cheer2: :respec: :cheer:

You'll be receiving that in the mail shortly after Obamas' arrives. :p

Are we already at the stage where pronouns are used instead of names and song titles are not given so we have no idea who the poster is talking about?? :(

28. Alixana

Alixana who is on vacation!!

Elise Testone is opening for B.B. King?? That is awesome!! Hope some lucky poster goes to that and tells us all about it.

29. BigB08822

I thought this was like the good ole days when everyone was here for the play by play. I just noticed this thread is only on page 8 and we are almost to the live shows. Oh my, how the mighty have fallen! In my defense, I thought she was so bad that no one could possibly mistake her for anyone else...and I didn't know her name.

She sang Mr. Know It All

30. PrincessLeppard

And we open with Paul Jolly singing really zzzzzzzzz ballad, which turns out to be a Keith Urban song.

Meh. I hope we're not in for another night of ballads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.