American Idol 2013: I wsh I knew how to quit you...

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by LuckyCharm, Jan 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moebius

moebius Well-Known Member

I think they put him through out of pity. If he didn't have a life threatening disease, he wouldn't have made it through.
  2. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

I haven't seen any of the auditions so far, but I saw that Nate Tao made it through the Oklahoma auditions! He came to my high school when he was part of the all male acappella group Ithacappella for their winter tour. I met him very briefly and gosh, he's super talented.

I don't normally follow American Idol too much, but I'll be watching this time for him!
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  3. puglover

puglover Active Member

I have to say I hated the sound of this judging panel when they were announced but I think I like them better then the one they replaced. If they can add some colour and entertainment value with some solid critiques without overshadowing the contestants maybe they will be a shot in the arm for the show. I really enjoyed the early years of AI but I have sort of gritted my teeth too many times the last few years.
  4. martian_girl

martian_girl New Member

So yeah, remember that hottie war hero who auditioned with his daughter? Turns out he was lying.

How people think that they can get away with this in this day and age is beyond me.:rolleyes:
  5. taf2002

taf2002 Well-Known Member

Last night was the 1st of 2 nights of Hollywood week for the guys. I really liked the way they put the groups together. It eliminated the advantage some of them have had in previous years & it helped the shy ones who might have had trouble finding a group to join. I hope the girls learn something by watching the guys: that no matter how much of a weak link you think someone in your group is, the bottom line is that your solo part has to be great. Some of the guys were way too worried about what other people were doing. (I still remember Elliott Yamin's group - it was awful but his part was great & I think he was the only one who went thru.)

I agreed with the judges on the whole but I wouldn't have put Papa Peechez thru in the 1st place & certainly not after his lack-luster performance. I felt really bad for the subway performer but his lack of training was really evident, plus he let his nerves get the better of him before he performed. But I felt proud for the little boy who has cystic fibrousis because he acted so maturely, saying that he messed up & that he wasn't ready.

I'm always surprised by the number of people who can't learn their lyrics. The solo parts are usually not that long. If if was me I would fluff the group part if I had to in order to learn my part. I think many of the people never watch AI because if they did they could avoid the pitfalls better.
  6. merrywidow

merrywidow Well-Known Member

Am I imagining things or are a lot of soul singers being put through? I still can't stand Nikki Minaj.
  7. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I think they know the lyrics, it's just that the pressure gets to them. And that's the test, not whether you can sing well or not. Do you crack under pressure? Are you a quick learner? Can you work well with others. These things are what the group round are about.

What surprises me is how many people say, "I don't know this song". It's like someone who wants to become a doctor and doesn't know all the parts of the human body. If you want this to be your lifelong career, you will have a broad awareness of popular music. Plus everybody knows that Motown, etc. will be picked often as song choices. If you haven't acquired the greatest hits CDs of the Four Tops, Smokey Robinson & The Miracles, The Temptations, etc. then you don't deserve to go through.

I did not. They set groups up for "dramatic TV moments" rather than helping youth to become a successful musical performer. The most glaring example was the two rednecks and the two effeminate gay men. That was so obvious and so wrong... :(
  8. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

From mjsbigblog, very few WGWGs got through. Given the obvious producer manipulation this year, it seems that they really want a girl or person of color to win.
  9. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

The young group of boys-- including the one with Cystic Fibrosis-- illustrated this to a T. There were two who performed well-- one was the African American kid (has Jr. in his name and walked the Green Mile last year), and the other was the white boy (not the Cystic Fibrosis boy) who got cut. They kept a kid who was crap, and left a talented boy go. Makes no sense.
  10. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

They did send a number of the "questionable" selections home; more than I thought they would.
    There appears to be some "drama" during the solo round tonight.
  11. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I was thinking that drama might occur on this program eventually.

:p
  12. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

I really like Charlie and really hate Papa Peaches. Amazed that Peaches was put through.
  13. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i hate anyone who calls himself papa peaches on principle
  14. moebius

moebius Well-Known Member

Felt bad for the guy who helped the cute Cuban stutterer to make it through the next round, but got himself eliminated. Also felt bad for the guy who came up with the idea of singing acapella, but was the only one eliminated in his group.

I'm rooting for Cuban cutie pie:swoon: and Indian dude.
  15. Alixana

Alixana recovering Oly-holic

Especially when he spells it "Peachez" :rolleyes:
  16. skatesindreams

^^^
    I don't like people who assume "stage names"/personas without the credibility/ability to back them up.
    After Idol, perhaps; now, no.
  17. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

apocalypse + 1
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  18. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

I liked that the producers forced the groups and made a rule you can't quit or get kicked from a group. Sure they made some groups for drama factor, but really, how many of those were really gonna make Top 20 anyway ... probably none. And how was that any different than the drama that group day ususally brings. That was always my least favorite part on how all the Day 1 people would control who was and was not in their group, leaving Day 2 people scrambling and begging to get in a group, people quitting groups, etc. That was one little thing I liked about Scotty McCreary winning ... to shove it in the face of those pricks who wouldn't let him be in any of their groups. :p

I still would prefer a complete and total random draw for Group Day though. Make every group 4 people (or a few at 3 if there's not an even number), figure out how many groups that makes, and everyone draws a group number. That's your group and then that's final.

Oh I sssssoooooo hope that the girls were sequestered or something during Hollywood week so that they did not know ahead of time what was going to happen with the groups, since obviously the guys didn't know. Hopefully the word didn't get to the girls to not even bother working on groups and its a big surprise to them as well. Oh the :drama: that should bring!
  19. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

20. Sassafras

Sassafras Well-Known Member

Good for her. I think that's a good "fit."
  21. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

22. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

None of the ladies blew me away tonight. :( I liked Savannah Votion, who sang Goyte's "Someone That I Used To Know". She's the one who did all the harmonies for the group and her solo was really strong. But two of the other women in her group went through instead of her.

And I thought the "Who Snaps" group was AWFUL. They sang "Knock on Wood" and three of them went through except for Lauren. I think she was decent, but the rest were really bad. I thought a number of groups that the judges liked were not very good. Moreso in the second hour, so maybe the judges were getting desperate for anyone with a bit of talent, so their standards fell as the day went on.
    IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  23. Sassafras

Sassafras Well-Known Member

I only saw the last half hour - for the most part my ears were bleeding.
    Alixana and (deleted member) like this.
  24. skatesindreams

The solo round must be better, if "these are the strongest ladies we've ever had".
    With a few exceptions, nobody I heard last night would make me believe that.
  25. taf2002

The only contestant that I feel strongly shouldn't have gone through was Jonetta, the Star Spangled Banner singer. And I am completely over Kaz after her antics. From her audition I thought she was quirky but it turns out she is just plain obnoxious.

I didnt' think anyone in Savannah's group should have gone through - yes she put the harmonies together but they were awful. And the girl who came back to ask why she was cut - I think she was out of that group where the one girl who wouldn't practice went through but the 3 others didn't. I would have cut the whole group but I agreed that one girl had the best voice. (But her days are numbered anyway - she's not tough enough for this contest.)

The two who impressed me the most so far are Candice Glover & Janelle Arthur. I want them to make the top 10. I liked Cristobel Clark & Rachel Hale a lot too. (The only reason I know the names is that I printed out the top 40 spoiler list two weeks ago.)
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  26. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I'm over the girls with the exception of janelle and Candice. I want to see the judges handbook where it says loud = good.
  27. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

I used to love the early auditions and this part. Now, I don't tune in at all until it gets to the call in part of the competition. I have even missed a whole season before this.

This is someone who used to watch all of it, and would go to the tour.
  28. Alixana

Alixana recovering Oly-holic

Some of them blew me away, but in the worst possible way. As in :eek: and :yikes: and :rofl: (wish FSU had a "wtf where they thinking" emoticon :lol:)
  29. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

Looks like I am not the only one not watching this year. I just want to say I came in the room and turned on the t.v. at 8:00 last night. It was on the Fox channel. Whoever was up first, playing the piano and singing, should win the whole thing right now. Send everybody else home. Or send her home and let someone important snap her up right now to have a fantastic career. Holy Moley!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  30. taf2002

To those of you not watching so far I want to say: you can't judge this season by previous seasons. I had gotten where I was on the fence about ever watching this show again & then I heard that Jlo & Steven was leaving so I thought I'd give this show one more change. Randy is just as unsufferable as ever but the other three are a huge improvement plus I like the changes this year. The audition rounds only took 3 weeks & Hollywood week only took 2. Vegas week is next week & then we're into the live rounds. At this point there are still some marginal singers that haven't been eliminated but there is a really good pool of excellent singers.
  31. nypanda

nypanda New Member

And Keith Urban is purty. :swoon:
  32. Angelskates

Angelskates Active Member

Who was the crazy lady who made up her "song" on the drums? Gee I hope she didn't get through...what a train wreck!
  33. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

She's in the Top 20. I think she is one of those contestants where the producers show the crazy stuff and withhold a genuinely good performance. I suspect she can SANG, meaning she seems to be a well trained gospel singer. Of course, we have no evidence, it's just a gut feeling.
  34. Angelskates

Angelskates Active Member

Either that or they think crazy = viewers.
  35. skatesindreams

If she doesn't really sing; she won;t last long.
  36. taf2002

I was watching Lyndsey Parker's recap video yesterday & she adores Zonette. She thinks she's hugely entertaining & suggested a new reality show with Zonette & Kaz. (She's right - I would watch that.) I think Zonette probably has a good voice but all her antics hides any talent she may have. A live show might be entertaining but how would it come over on a record? If she makes the top 10 girls will she get votes? I'm not sure. VFTW will probably love her.
  37. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

Even when she's acting a fool you can hear that she has a good, strong voice. I'm mildly curious to see what she'll do in a live show, because that kind of nonsense won't play as well in that setting. Anyway, she got me wondering, how far did William Hung get in the competition?

I just caught up on this Thursday's episode, and I must say, I was seriously disappointed with which 8 guys got cut. I was really warming up to this judging panel, but this week was a huge step backward, IMO.
  38. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I think they want a female to win every eighth season or so, so many talented men were cut.
  39. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think it is very obvious the producers are desperate for a female winner so they are trying to swing the balance in favor of the females this year. I'm not sure how much control the judges actually have considering this. I would personally like to see a female winner but it is too bad that has to be at the expense of an entertaining show (if all the male contestants end up being mediocre.)
  40. taf2002

William Hung didn't make to the live shows.

As for the 8 guys, I didn't know who most of them were but most of the guys who are left are far from mediocre. All the guys who I thought were great are in the top 20. The fact that you don't agree with the 8 doesn't mean this judging panel was wrong & you were right.

Lots of talented guys are left. I will be voting for Nick & Charlie for sure. I like Jimmy Smith too. I just hope that Curtis Finch gets voted off quickly. He's a real piece of work.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.