American Idol 2013: I wsh I knew how to quit you...

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by LuckyCharm, Jan 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. merrywidow

merrywidow Well-Known Member

I tuned in for the walk out but was disappointed that she came back so I didn't bother watching last night. I've decided I'll wait until they get to Hollywood maybe by then Minaj will be gone.

2. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

One of our local radio DJs said that AI officially jumped the shark when Nicki walked out. Agree?

3. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

Apparently, the fight that was shown on teevee was not the real fight, and there is footage of the actual fight on the web somewhere, but that it's too intense to be shown.

If that's true, has anyone seen the original footage? :watch:

4. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

So they faked a fake fight? Lol

5. martian_girl

martian_girl New Member

6. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

7. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

I agree with that article to a large degree. I thought at the time that it was pretty ridiculous to get into that kind of discussion with contestants who haven't actually made it in the music business & may not know yet in what direction they want to go. I know that if I had a good voice I would be torn because I love just about all music so I can imagine telling the judges that I wasn't sure if I wanted to be R&B/soul or pop or jazz or indie. When Mariah started out no one put her in a little box so I was surprised at her attitude, also surprised it was Nicki who objected. Nicki & Keith are both in a more limited genre than Mariah. I have never heard either of them step out of their comfort zones. But regardless, those contestants probably don't want to debate that in just that moment.

8. mindy74

mindy74 Well-Known Member

I just watched this episode tonight, and agree. As much as Minaj has annoyed me, she does make good points sometimes, and I did actually agree with her during this whole "fight." The contestant just wants to come in, audition, and get through to Hollywood. She doesn't need a dissertation about what genre she belongs to.

9. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

I remember Dolly Parton charting on the country, pop, easy-listening and disco charts. Donna Summer charted on pop, soul, disco, rock and easy-listening charts. Other artists who charted on four or more charts include Barbra Streisand, Stevie Nicks, Reba McEntire and Michael and Janet Jackson. I really dislike someone saying that an artist should be a ("insert one genre only here") artist. From crap's sake, Mariah has charted on pop, soul, dance and easy listening...and our bAfrican-American dawg Randy played guitar for the rock group Journey... :eek:

10. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

Minaj makes the show unbearable to watch. I don't care if she's right or not. She thinks the show is all about her. And she looks like a doll :yikes: Can't stand her.

11. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Charting on multiple formats has more to do with what those formats are currently playing than with the artists being diverse with their sound. For example, right now most Pop hits are going to chart well on Pop, Hot AC and AC. That is 3 formats right there that all play basically the same kind of music, its just that top 40 is all current hits whereas the other stations mix in a lot of recurrents and oldies. Either way, I think everything about this show is staged at this point.

12. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

The auditions will be over tonight & unlike previous years I have found them pretty entertaining. They have been showing mostly good or border-line singers, and they have found some terrific ones. It should be a good season, as long as they don't start cutting the good ones in favor of their favs. Last night Mariah & Nicki were late & it was just the 2 guys, which was way too much Randy.

Randy: "Keith, what do you think?"
    Keith: "I vote yes."
    Randy: "Randy?" I vote yes too - you're going to Hollywood!"

What an idiot! And he's still calling the women "dude"...ick.

Then Mariah (& her girls) arrived & Nicki was still missing. I really liked the dynamics with just the 3 of them. I thought Mariah's personality came out more when it wasn't being stifled every time she opened her mouth. But Nicki came in later & for the 1st time I found her not unbearable. The 2 women even sat next to each other without bloodshed.

13. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

Did they really just put through Star-Spangled Banner- Obama girl? I thought that was one of the worst singers they have ever had on the show. I don't think she hit a single right note.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  14. moebius

moebius Well-Known Member

Yup and
    she made it to top 40.

15. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

I came to write the exact same thing! :lol:

:shuffle: I also didn't think the last kid was all that spectacular, despite the backstory. He was okay, but I don't see him getting out of the first round.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  16. Angelskates

She was DREADFUL, disrespectful, and bizarre. I was embarrassed for her. It was hard to watch. I was stunned when the unanimous vote was yes!

17. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

Didn't The Pointer Sisters win a Grammy for Best Country Song, one year? Fairytale, I believe.

18. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Interesting...it seems to me that Nicki is the one the judges speak over top of most often...or they just ignore her completely.

I agree with two of your three adjectives. :lol: But how did you feel she was disrespectful?

Yes, they did. Plus Charley Pride had lots of hits on the country charts, the most successful African-American in the country genre, I believe. (Sorry Darius Rucker, keep at it!) :D

19. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

:huh: In what universe? (Although when the other 3 agree & Nicki doesn't, they do tend to ignore her. But she does take over the critiques a lot & she talks over Mariah constantly.)

IIRC Charley Pride was not a cross-over from some other genre, he was a country star only. I have to admit though that I prefer Darias Rucker.

20. Angelskates

The craziness, I guess. But also they comments towards Obama, and the "If I don't get invited to the White House..." stuff...

21. moebius

moebius Well-Known Member

I think they put him through out of pity. If he didn't have a life threatening disease, he wouldn't have made it through.

22. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

I haven't seen any of the auditions so far, but I saw that Nate Tao made it through the Oklahoma auditions! He came to my high school when he was part of the all male acappella group Ithacappella for their winter tour. I met him very briefly and gosh, he's super talented.

I don't normally follow American Idol too much, but I'll be watching this time for him!

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  23. puglover

puglover Active Member

I have to say I hated the sound of this judging panel when they were announced but I think I like them better then the one they replaced. If they can add some colour and entertainment value with some solid critiques without overshadowing the contestants maybe they will be a shot in the arm for the show. I really enjoyed the early years of AI but I have sort of gritted my teeth too many times the last few years.

24. martian_girl

martian_girl New Member

So yeah, remember that hottie war hero who auditioned with his daughter? Turns out he was lying.

How people think that they can get away with this in this day and age is beyond me.:rolleyes:

25. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

Last night was the 1st of 2 nights of Hollywood week for the guys. I really liked the way they put the groups together. It eliminated the advantage some of them have had in previous years & it helped the shy ones who might have had trouble finding a group to join. I hope the girls learn something by watching the guys: that no matter how much of a weak link you think someone in your group is, the bottom line is that your solo part has to be great. Some of the guys were way too worried about what other people were doing. (I still remember Elliott Yamin's group - it was awful but his part was great & I think he was the only one who went thru.)

I agreed with the judges on the whole but I wouldn't have put Papa Peechez thru in the 1st place & certainly not after his lack-luster performance. I felt really bad for the subway performer but his lack of training was really evident, plus he let his nerves get the better of him before he performed. But I felt proud for the little boy who has cystic fibrousis because he acted so maturely, saying that he messed up & that he wasn't ready.

I'm always surprised by the number of people who can't learn their lyrics. The solo parts are usually not that long. If if was me I would fluff the group part if I had to in order to learn my part. I think many of the people never watch AI because if they did they could avoid the pitfalls better.

26. merrywidow

merrywidow Well-Known Member

Am I imagining things or are a lot of soul singers being put through? I still can't stand Nikki Minaj.

27. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

I think they know the lyrics, it's just that the pressure gets to them. And that's the test, not whether you can sing well or not. Do you crack under pressure? Are you a quick learner? Can you work well with others. These things are what the group round are about.

What surprises me is how many people say, "I don't know this song". It's like someone who wants to become a doctor and doesn't know all the parts of the human body. If you want this to be your lifelong career, you will have a broad awareness of popular music. Plus everybody knows that Motown, etc. will be picked often as song choices. If you haven't acquired the greatest hits CDs of the Four Tops, Smokey Robinson & The Miracles, The Temptations, etc. then you don't deserve to go through.

I did not. They set groups up for "dramatic TV moments" rather than helping youth to become a successful musical performer. The most glaring example was the two rednecks and the two effeminate gay men. That was so obvious and so wrong... :(

28. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

From mjsbigblog, very few WGWGs got through. Given the obvious producer manipulation this year, it seems that they really want a girl or person of color to win.

29. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

The young group of boys-- including the one with Cystic Fibrosis-- illustrated this to a T. There were two who performed well-- one was the African American kid (has Jr. in his name and walked the Green Mile last year), and the other was the white boy (not the Cystic Fibrosis boy) who got cut. They kept a kid who was crap, and left a talented boy go. Makes no sense.

30. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

They did send a number of the "questionable" selections home; more than I thought they would.
    There appears to be some "drama" during the solo round tonight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.