American Idol 2013: I wsh I knew how to quit you...

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by LuckyCharm, Jan 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

I knew Lazaro would get lots of sympathy votes. (I don't think most of those votes are from teeny boppers.) If it wasn't going to be Lazaro, I'm fine with it being Paul. It certainly should not have been Amber.
  2. taf2002

taf2002 Well-Known Member

I don't know about anybody else, but that's not my definition of pageant performer. To me it means person with good voice, maybe even great voice but with little connection with what they are singing ( Angie & Paul) I don't see anything behind the eyes or any real emotion. Just pwetty pwetty singing.

Later on when Ryan interviewed Lazaro it became clear that Lazaro changed his song at the last minute (Jimmy had to know this so he's the liar). And from what Nicki said, Jimmy is the one who had him change it. So when Jimmy said they all had the same rehearsal time he knew that wasn't true for Lazaro. What really steams me is that he took the contestant who was struggling most & made him go on stage with the least preparation time. What a tool. (And btw old man, turn your cap around, you ain't no gangsta - better yet, learn to dress like an adult.)

ETA: for those who thought Jessica Sanchez got robbed last year, tonight proved that the right person won. It was like the professional & the amateur singing out there with her & NeYo.
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  3. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I understand. What about her looks would keep her out of country? Is she too fat? I think she would best be accepted at her current weight in the world of country. Pop would make her slim down or ignore her. Country would welcome her with open arms, her voice is more than enough. Other than her weight (which really is not an issue but she isn't pencil thin like most singers and movie stars) I can't figure out what about her looks could cause her any problems. I don't think her fashion sense is great but it isn't awful (she's no Kelly Clarkson when it comes to clothes..thank goodness) and she would have someone dressing her all the time, anyway.
  4. taf2002

I agree. I really liked her look on Wednesday with the blingy belt. In fact, when they were singing together tonight I was thinking all top 5 are very pretty (Amber is actually beautiful IMO) & 4 of them have exceptional voices - IMO the best top 5 girls ever. And as far as styling is concerned, I love the way Angie & Amber dress.
  5. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

These kids going on Idol should know enough about the show to realize that they are going to be singing Beatles and Motown songs. To be best prepared to succeed on Idol, they should make themselves familiar with them beforehand.
  6. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

I'm sure they work on more than one song with Jimmy, so I imagine they are both right. But Jimmy could have explained that rather than just call Lazaro out. Perhaps every week there's "your song" and then "your backup song" and Lazaro didn't really work on his backup song until he switched to it, which Jimmy felt was irresponsible. But I never get why contestants are forced to switch songs last minute on this show so often. Seems really shady- you don't hear about this happening on The Voice.
  7. nypanda

nypanda New Member

Hm. Seems like Lazaro not having fully prepared is a theme of sorts, though. Maybe behind the scenes they're really annoyed with his lack of professionalism, and they're not really saying that either?
  8. taf2002

I have never gotten the impression that they work on more than one song. Melinda Doolittle is on Idolotry a lot & she talks about backstage stuff all the time & she has never implied that they choose more than one song. She has said that many times the list is very short & it's hard to choose even one song. But she also has said that sometimes the producers choose for you. The only times thru the years where it's clear to me that someone switched his/her song it's also been clear that it wasn't his/her idea.

I don't know if they do it to sabotage the singer or because the show would get a better mix of songs but it never seems to work out well for the singer. But I think it's reprehensible for them to make someone sing a song he doesn't like. They talk all the time about song selection & then they force a choice on young singers who aren't able to stand up for themselves.

BTW, they have had many contestants with a lack of professionalism. These kids aren't pros. Some have more experience than others but all of them need a guiding hand, otherwise they wouldn't need the show. And they knew going in that Lazaro wasn't experienced so why would they suddenly decide to get annoyed?
  9. nypanda

nypanda New Member

:shrug: I dunno. They have to at least have some savvy to get this far - I'd put money on Lazaro being a lot less green than the package infers. And it doesn't take experience to do your damn homework. Seems to me even the package has shown him being encouraged to step up his preparation...only speculation of course, but perhaps they are annoyed because he won't accept their "guiding hand"?
  10. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

Something to consider about Lazaro is that the reason he can sing without stuttering is because singing relies more to the parts of the brain used for memory, while stuttering is connected to the parts that are associated with extemporaneous speaking. As a result, I suspect practice and being settled on what he is going to sing may be particularly important for him, and the AI format just is not one that works for him. It doesn't change that his performances are bad, but I also don't think they necessarily reflect what he could do outside of the reality show constraints.
    nypanda and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Allskate

I don't believe that Lazaro was forced to change his song. Jimmy and others may pressure singers to change songs, but the singers have to stand up to them. I remember Casey Abrams doing that. Jimmy was not happy, but I thought Casey made the right choice. I do not believe that Lazarro was forced to change songs at the last minute. And this isn't the first time he's seemed unprepared or uncomfotable. I think people, including the judges are making excuses for him and applauding him for his courage. But, he chose to be on the show and has to abide by the same rules and practices as everyone else. The criticism by the judges this week was really restrained, especially considering how weak his performance was. But he couldn't even deal well with that. I don't think the right response to him is to go really easy on him or make excuses. It doesn't appear to me that anyone has been unfairly hard on him, and that includes Jimmy, who is treating him the way he would treat any other contestant.
  12. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Lazaro has so little performance experience that he doesn't even know that this type of criticism is usual; and that what he has received is quite "restrained" in comparison with what he might be subjected to, elsewhere.
  13. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Lazaro is awful. He is lucky to even be in the top 10 let alone not even know what the bottom 3 feels like at this point. He is probably going to cruise into the top 5 and that is really a shame because I am willing to bet that one of the super talented girls (all of them minus Janelle, even though she is better than Lazaro) will get cut before he does. I can see Lazaro going the week after the save is used. They will save one of the 3 girls if they get a shocking cut and then hopefully Lazaro would be out the door. They would never save him, that is for sure.
    Rex and (deleted member) like this.
  14. merrywidow

merrywidow Well-Known Member

I think it would serve the judges right if Lazaro wound up the new Idol. Unfair to him perhaps but they put him through as one of the top 5 best male singers in the country! Is there still a group of "vote for the worst" voting? I may just join them!
  15. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

Yes. And Lazaro is their candidate this year.
  16. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

The judges did not put Lazaro into the top five men...the voting public did. (The judges did pick Lazaro as one of the top 10 men, though.)
  17. taf2002

The judges put him in the top 20...the public put him in the top 10. But he should never have been in the top 20.
  18. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

The "judges" should have realized that Lazaro was/is not ready for performing/competition at this level; and may never be.
    The pressure, under which he is already crumpling. is only going to get worse.
  19. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

20. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Unlike Zoanette and Charlie? :p
  21. taf2002

:rofl:
  22. Allskate

Three wrongs don't make a right. :p
  23. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Have quit AI. Watched 2 shows in the very beginning, haven't watched since. It has just gotten so old and I can't stand the crazy anymore. :lol:
  24. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

:lol:
    Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  25. taf2002

This week the songs will be "music of the motor city" & I was thinking "Motown" ugh. Then I realized that would open them up to hopefully more than just Motown - Eminim, White Stripe, Bob Seeger, etc. I hope nobody sings motown, it's been done to death on Idol. But of course, Uncle Nigel probably hasn't cleared any other songs.
  26. shan

shan Well-Known Member

27. taf2002

I hate his suggestions for Devin - maybe Michael wants him eliminated.
  28. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I'm still working my way through the list. I definitely don't like every song he chose. I do like the fact that they aren't overdone. Although perhaps there is a reason some of them have never been chosen. :p
  29. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Wow, those are some great recommendations!!! :cheer2: :respec: :cheer:

What I'd like to see from these:

Candice Glover: Bonnie Pointer’s “Heaven Must Have Sent You” or even better, "Free Me From My Freedom" (also from Bonnie).

Kree Harrison: Smokey Robinson’s “Cruisin‘” - this could be a big risk for Kree, but I love her and I love this song, so I would hope she could ROCK it.

Amber Holcomb: Both suggestions are good (Teena Marie’s “Square Biz” or Mary Jane Girls’ “In My House“)...but how about Teena's biggest hit, Lovergirl?

Angie Miller - both suggestions are bad. I think Angie (like most everyone else) needs to go uptemp. Could Angie pull off Diana Ross' "The Boss"?

Lazaro Arbos: Diana Ross’ “Theme from Mahogany (Do You Know Where You’re Going To)” or Dennis Edwards and Siedah Garrett’s “Don’t Look Any Further“ - the latter is good, but definitely NOT the former.

Burnell Taylor: The Dazz Band’s “Let It Whip” - YES, YES, YES, YES, YESSSSSS!!!!

Devin Velez: Don't like any of his suggestions. How about Anita Baker's "Giving You The Best That I Got"?
  30. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

Let it Whip :respec:

Lovergirl :scream:
  31. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

If any of the constestants had the stones to bust out the MC5 (Motor City Five) Epic Anthem of the 60's, I'd wear my fingers down to bloody stumps power voting for him/her.

For some crazy reason, I don't think Nigel & Co. would approve it - I can't imagine why :rofl: :saint:.
  32. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Somehow, the Diana Ross song, it...it...SUITS Lazaro...don't ask me why :saint:.
    Has anyone sang "Bernadette" by The Four Tops...evah?
  33. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Lazaro should NEVER do a ballad again....in his LIFE.

:respec: I love that song!!
  34. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I don't know how reliable the website is, but here is a possible set list for tonight. :blah: to lots of choices...

http://www.wetpaint.com/american-id...013-spoilers-season-12-top-8-song-list-leaked

Amber Holcomb – “Lately” by Stevie Wonder
    Angie Miller – “Shop Around” by The Miracles w/ Smokey Robinson
    Burnell Taylor – “My Cherie Amour” by Stevie Wonder
    Candice Glover – “I Heard It Through The Grapevine” by Marvin Gaye
    Devin Velez – TBD
    Janelle Arthur (on guitar) – “You Keep Me Hangin’ On” by The Supremes
    Kree Harrison – “Don’t Play That Song (You Lied)” by Ben E. King/Aretha Franklin
    Lazaro Arbos – “For Once In My Life” by Stevie Wonder
  35. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

once a year i mumble to myself about how these contestants shouldnt be singing those hookless stevie wonder songs. they only work when you are blind.
  36. shan

shan Well-Known Member

This is a 2 hour show?? Did I mishear that? There are only 8 singers... :scream:
  37. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

Candice... I'm not loving this... I want to love Candice, but there's just something off about her voice to me, I can't put my finger on it, but I'm just not a fan... I want to be, but I'm not. Sorry
  38. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

I appreciate Candice trying to do something different with "heard it through the grapevine" but this isn't working for me.

Maybe she just should've chosen a less overdone song.
  39. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I hate this song, but I like Candice. :yawn:

Does Keith mean that this was her best performance of the season? :huh:
  40. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

Country twist on Madonna? Oh HELLLLLL no!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.