American Idol 2013: I Wish I Knew How To Quit You (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Cyn, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

If you either missed it or don't want to endure that excruciating hour of the results show:

Angie's elimination

VFTW is celebrating like crazy :rolleyes:, and after being obnoxiously, intolerably smug, Angie's fans are in meltdown mode at IDF :rofl:.
  2. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

:D I haven't been in this thread for a while, just checked in to see who got the boot. Not only glad about our final two, but that everyone here seems to be in agreement! Not only are Kree and Candace both great singers, but both seem very humble and kind/compassionate. So likeable. Can't wait to see what the future holds for both of these ladies. :cheer2:
  3. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I'm very happy with the finalists.
    Great to see the update about Adam Lambert, too.
  4. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

I expect to see the judges really push Candice next week. Either girl deserves to win but I just hope the judges give fair critiques next week.

Yeah right. :lol:
  5. taf2002

taf2002 Well-Known Member

The TVLine posting community is full of conspiracies on why Angie went home. Now the favorite theme seems to be that it was producer manipulation. :huh: I thought Angie regularly got the most flattering edit on AI. The judges gushed over Amber & Angie all season, & habitually threw Candice & Kree under the bus. The other theory is because Angie is from the North & the others are from the South. Yeah, that really helped Amber.
  6. shan

shan Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to see how things go.

I'm very excited for Candice/Kree!! Both have amazing vocal ability. I will be happy with whoever wins. I just hope both sing well and are judged on the performance, not on future possibilities (though I think both should go far).

I feel :( for Angie because it was obvious that she wanted to win so badly. At the start of the live rounds, I didn't pick her as one who would make it to the top 3. The strong enunciation, the dramatic "feeling" were off-putting to me. But she improved as the weeks went on.
  7. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I'll miss Randy if he goes.
    Maybe, just maybe AI has run its course?
    OliviaPug and (deleted member) like this.
  8. skatesindreams

Even though the ratings have deteriorated; it's still a "cash cow" for FOX.
  9. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

The Angie/Kree final is in line with what the voters did over on The Voice. In every case, the best vocals made it through.

I'm thinking that teens/tweens are over these types of shows, so the voting is skewing a bit older and saner. It may not be what the producers want to market, but people over 25 do buy music and are less likely to be introduced to new artists via YouTube. That's the new reality and Nigel and Jimmy need to learn from it.
  10. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

I agree that AI has run its course. But it will be back next season. That we know.

Happy with the final two. Never thought Angie really had "it" in the singing department.

O-
  11. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

They *SHOULD* get better judges who don't cost as much and pay the contestants more $ to be on the show. The winner should get $1milliion cash. The runner up should get $500,000. The rest should get $50,000. It would bring more talented people to the auditions. I also think that they shouldn't have themes. Let them sing what they want-- and try to get it cleared in time. No more old fashioned shit-- let the kids sing current music. And get them a REAL mentor-- Someone who can help them with song selection, styling, and the like. Make me want to watch again.
    tlk and (deleted member) like this.
  12. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

I won't miss Randy as I find him completely useless as a judge but I do agree that his leaving is evidence that Idol has run its course.
  13. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

randy barely made it back this season. i think they are being respectful of his time on the show and letting him "quit" instead of being lumped in with the others who wont be renewed. randy is really lucky AI came his way and no one with a bigger name wanted to do it when it started. i cant remember him ever adding any value or even being amusing.
  14. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Eh, he was a friend to pets. Dawgs everywhere will miss Randy. :p
  15. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

unfortunately that would mean that Idol would need pay for the rights to the current music. They don't want to do that.
  16. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I'm aware of a season 6 contestant who had an entire catalog of a specific writer cleared, only to find that 19 didn't have a relationship with the publisher and wasn't willing to create one.
  17. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

I think their failure to invest in the right songs is shortsighted. People get bored. But, I also think that they are choosing some of the songs for other stupid reasons besides money. I think they chose a lot of the songs last week despite knowing that they didn't make sense for these particular contestants. Of course, Jimmy also chose one song in order to give a particular contestant her "moment. There is a lot of manipulation.

As Michael Slezak and Melinda Doolittle pointed out in this week's Idology, the contestants should have at least been allowed to pick a song. I disagree with them, though, about whether Kree should have sung one of her original songs, "You Would Have Wanted It That Way." If Slezak can't make it through the song without Kleenex, then Kree certainly can't.

Rumor has it that the contestants might be singing songs they wrote or "co-wrote." I hope they don't make Kree sing "You Would Have Wanted it That Way," but I also hope they don't give her and Candice craptastic coronation songs and pretend that they co-wrote them.

ETA:
    Here's the link to the new Idology. Melinda is so funny with her Top Three flashback:
    http://tvline.com/2013/05/13/idology-american-idol-no-contestants-choice-top-3-season-12/

Here's a link to the original song from Kree that they mention:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a-OQI5bhsc
    Last edited: May 14, 2013
  18. martian_girl

martian_girl New Member

19. skatesindreams

The show will be infinitely better without her.
    I can't fathom why she was hired in the first place.

She seems a complete phony to me'; and wasn't helpful to any of the contestants.
  20. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

Tonight's song choices sound blah.
  21. martian_girl

martian_girl New Member

Really, the judges aren't the problem. The dated song choices and obvious producer manipulation are the problem.

Hoping against hope that the "Idol songs" don't suck.

*Kree was lovely, but the arrangement never picked up.
  22. 4rkidz

4rkidz GPF Barcelona here I come

yay so glad that niki freak is going.. so off putting.. Kree nice but boring first song..
  23. my little pony

i dont hear enough adele covers on tv
  24. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

I thought Kree was much better. I didn't like Candice's performance.
  25. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

I just tuned in for the first time all season, more for a lack of anything else being on TV... has this season been good or bad? Based on those first two performances, and considering they are the final 2, I can't imagine there have been many great performances.
  26. my little pony

um randy, i have no idea where candice took a bunch of unique risks with the song - not her fault, simon picked what he picked but no need to lie about it

maybe randy never heard of adele when he was busy trying to make kim caldwell happen. and like fetch, it didnt.
    Last edited: May 16, 2013
  27. 4rkidz

i didnt like either of first songs...:(
  28. 4rkidz

i didnt like either of first songs...:(
  29. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

Carly Rae needs some work on her lipsynch. :shuffle:
  30. peibeck

Kree seems bored to death with the song they chose for her single should she win. Her voice is totally on point tonight though.
  31. martian_girl

martian_girl New Member

Off-topic: Sleepy Hollow looks like it will be both short-lived and awesome. :D

Both these original songs follow the great Idol tradition of schmaltz. Nothing too great.
  32. my little pony

does anyone know who wrote the coronation songs this year?
  33. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

I don't think either single is going to come close to Phillip Phillips's.

ETA These women have beautiful voices but holy moly this crap is boring.

ETA2 :p I who have my pillow, ready for sleep.....I loooooove yoooooouuuuuuu. :p
    Last edited: May 16, 2013
  34. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Kree's Angel was beautiful. She put a gorgeous twang to it and really made it feel like something that could have been written for country radio. I am not sure why she chose to go 1st though! That seems risky.
  35. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

Kree's "Angel" was the best performance of the night.
  36. shan

shan Well-Known Member

:rofl:

I love Candice's voice but I thought she tried too hard on that last song.
  37. BigB08822

I am behind so that is why my posts may seem odd:
    Candice did great on the Adele cover but I am not sure it was a good song choice. I love that her voice is so damn strong in both the lower and upper registers. That is really rare, especially for someone her age.
  38. peibeck

I thought that was actually the best performance of the night from either singer, but I also have a soft spot for that song. I especially loved the a capella beginning.
  39. shan

shan Well-Known Member

That was the only performance I saw. Ita about the acapella beginning. After that it almost seemed overworked.
  40. BigB08822

Kree's original song was OK, seemed like she was forcing it a little bit in parts but not bad. Sappy typical coronation song.

Candice's song captured me and then it got to the chorus and it, too, was a sappy typical coronation song. Phillip Phillips really lucked out with a coronation song that was super current and trendy and fit his voice and style perfectly. I think these songs fit each artist but the are too schmaltzy.