American Idol 2013: I Wish I Knew How To Quit You (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Cyn, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Carry On.....

I just found out that Janelle was the one who got the boot tonight. From what I read over at TWoP, the judges were split 2-2 on whether or not to use The Save (FTR, Keith Urban tweeted that he had voted to save her...I wonder who the other one was :COP: )

Kree was safe, but I find it :eek: that she was in the Bottom Two.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  2. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

I would bet Mariah was the other one. FWIW I didn't want any of them to be saved. Saving someone one week & eliminating 2 the next week makes no sense to me.

Some people probably think Amber got a boost from all the judges' praise but I think it most likely is because she got the pimp spot & really knocked it out with her last song - I thought she sang it beautifully. But I thought it was a pretty bad night all around - it was definitely Janelle's & Kree's worst night IMO & I thought Angie did pretty bad too. In fact, I think Angie has regressed from what we first saw of her.

3. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

From what I've heard, Ryan stated tonight that this was the last week that anyone could be saved. I'm not sure what they'll do with that extra week, but my guess is that they might do some sort of recap of how the season has gone so far, along with maybe some background fluff on the remaining contestants.

4. chantilly

chantilly Active Member

I was thinking about that too. I think they are going to do a top three finale this year instead of a top two. That's my theory. And I approve. All these girls are amazing. And while I think no one beats Candace vocally, I am not sure about who she is as an artist and her personality hasn't quite shone through yet. Unlike Kree whose personality has in spades and I can envision how her record will sound. I think Kree isn't choosing the best songs and I wish she had more passion when she sings or lost herself emotionally a little more. Angie is very interesting to me. I think she has an incredible stage presence and I love her voice. She has been shaky though. But again I can see she is like a pop-rock girl like Paramore etc. Amber blew me away with her last song. That is what she should sing. Some jazzy pop perhaps liks India Arie or Erikah Baduh, r and b jazzy. I think going the way of Rhianna is a waste of her voice.

I was gobsmacked that Kree was in the bottom. I had her as a lock for the top two. But I am still predicting a Angie, Kree, Candice top three.

5. Smiley0884

Smiley0884 Well-Known Member

:confused: I think Angie has a pretty good voice, but doesn't seem "pop-rock" at all to me, and certaintly nothing like Hayley Williams of Paramore. I find Angie pleasant enough, but Hayley is someone who has incredible stage presence, and really is a fantastic performer. Angie's not even close...she just doesn't seem to project as naturally as some of the other contestants like Candice, Kree, or even Janelle. She's had a couple of performances that had a spark too it, but she just doesn't seem consistment enough. I actually think Angie would be great in musical theater, with the proper training. She seems to want to sing contemporary christian music, and I think she'd be successful at that as well.

As far as Kree being in the bottom 2, it doesn't surprise me. This is the point in the competition when fans get complacent. It happened to Ruben, Fantasia, Jessica Sanchez, ect. I don't think this hurts her chances of winning at all, especially since she'll likely pick up some of Janelle's fanbase.

6. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

I would probably buy cross-over type music from Kree, but although I think she is fantastic, I don't think I'd buy from Candace. I like very few of her song choices so far - that Cure song being an exception. Kree is not very consistent. I loved both of her performances last week but she seemed very disengaged, almost lazy this week. Of them all, Janelle probably has shown the best stage presence & Amber has shown the most growth.

7. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Which one has the best potential for long-term success?

What kind of career do they want?
    Recording/music as Kelly/Carrie; or something more, a la Jennifer Hudson?

8. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

The producers obviously believe that Amber has the most commercial appeal. But she is no Beyonce, notwithstanding the short shorts and legs. She doesn't seem to have a strong fan base despite the constant hyping and lecturing by the judges and producers. I don't think she's consistent enough to stay to the end even if the judges and producers pull out the stop. Her second song the other night was good, but her first one was baaaad - the worst of the night IMO.

Although I think that Candice is enormously talented, I’m not sure exactly how they would market her.

I think Angie will have a decent CCM career.

I suspect that Kree will have the most success. She has country credibility already and is a songwriter. She will appeal not only to country, but can have cross over appeal. I’m not a country fan, but I really like her singing and might even consider buying some of her music. She also comes across as very likeable which will make her more marketable. I don’t think she’ll have the kind of PR problems that some of her fellow contestants already have had. (Lazaro should just stop giving interviews. He comes across as more obnoxious with each one.)

9. skatesindreams

I think that her career will grow, via a platform other than AI, after the contract ends.

10. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Do you think Amber got Lazaro's votes?

Of those who are left my order is:

Kree - I just love her voice. She always consistently sings well, but I worry that she is making poor song choices. I'm glad that Mariah critiqued her by saying that she seemed to perform the song rather than connect to it. I hope landing in the bottom 2 will push her to do more of what she's capable.

Candice-Beautiful voice. I am impressed with her consistency. I think last week was amazing, but was somewhat meh on her song choice for the "Diva" performance.

Angie/Amber - They are interchangeable to me as far as how much I like them. Part of my issue is the push that they're getting from some of the judges (and Jimmy). It irks me when there appears to be a disparity between the critique and what I'm seeing on the stage. I don't think "I'll Stand By You" deserved a standing O, nor did Amber's rendition of "Without You". Both girls sing beautifully, but lack emotional connection.

I really hope we'll see a Kree/Candice finale with amazing songs for both women to sing!! :cheer2:

11. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

I see Amber as a young Melinda Doolittle, only she's not as perfect as Melinda was during her season. I do think Amber deserves a lot of praise for some of her performances but I understand why she's not getting the votes. She isn't mainstream/youthful enough to get the teen vote. I disagree with shan that Amber lacks emotional connection (although that was a fair criticism for Without You). I see that as Angie's main flaw, but Amber has had some stellar performances, esp My Funny Valentine, She's Leaving Home & What Are You Doing the Rest of Your Life.

12. Allskate

If Candice wins, the recording contract is a long one.

I know that Lazaro has been telling people to vote for Amber, but I doubt that's a huge number of people.

Amber does not remind me at all of Melinda. Melinda is much better, IMO, and obviously wasn't using her legs to get votes. Melinda also had a much better ability to communicate with the audience and came across as pure class. (I don't care how annoyed she was with Slezak's comments, Ambers tweet did not reflect well on her PR skills.) And, for the majority of her performances, I don't think Amber has shown much connection to her songs. I think Jimmy sees her as the next Beyonce, though, and will sign her.

I understand what Jimmy sees in Amber, but I've never really understood the big Angie love. I just don't see her being a big mainstream hit, even if she makes it to the finale.

I'm rooting for a Candice/Kree finale. I didn't think Kree's vocals suffered this week, but I think that Keith was right that she didn't look comfortable. I don't know if it's her pinched nerve, the song choice, or exhaustion, but I hope she's better next week. I didn't care for Candice's song choices this week. I hope that's also better next week.

13. skatesindreams

I was really upset when Melinda, one of the best singers that Idol ever had, didn't win.

Many times the contestants are at the mercy of the list of songs that the producers choose.
    It takes an experienced performer to make the best choice from a less than ideal group.

skateboy and (deleted member) like this.
  14. moebius

moebius Well-Known Member

How would not using the 'save' give an extra week? If a 'save' was used then 2 contestants get eliminated the following week. So that would not mess up their schedule. Unless they changed the rules and only one contestant gets eliminated the week after the 'save' was used.

15. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

As I understand it, the schedule is based on them using the save at some point and NOT doing a double elimination the following week. For ratings purposes, the finale is always held during the height of May sweeps month. Without padding with an extra show, AI would end on May 9th. They've already sold advertising for the 15th and 16th.

16. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

They can't use the save and do a double elimination. There is no option for a double elimination at this point.

17. Allskate

I wonder if they are planning a two part finale. There are reports that that they have been having the contestants work with songwriters to "co-write" songs. Maybe they'd have one week with the usual type of performances and one week with the "co-written" songs, and then add the totals together to determine the winner.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Idol is really a singing contest, not a songwriting contest, so I'm not sure it's fair to have songwriting enter into it. But, as long was they give the contestants who aren't good songwriters a good song to have "co-writing" credit, I guess it willl come down to the singing, though giving someone credit for writing a song they didn't really write isn't all that fair either.

18. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I think Angie is enticing because she will have the Christian market locked up. Plus she can easily cross over. Even if she doesn't go anywhere on Pop they can make good money off a Christian artist, they are typically a hell of a lot cheaper to produce an promote.

19. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Song List for tonight:

http://www.mjsbigblog.com/american-idol-12-top-4-song-spoilers.htm

Personal Choice:

Amber Holcomb - “Power of Love” by Celine Dion
    Candice Glover – Find Your Love by Drake
    Kree Harrison - ”It Hurt So Bad” by Susan Tedeschi
    Angie Miller – “Who You Are” by Jesse J

One Hit Wonders:

Amber Holcomb - MacArthur Park by Richard Harris/Donna Summer
    Candice Glover – “Emotion” by Samantha Sang/Destiny’s Child
    Kree Harrison - “Whiter Shade of Pale” by Procol Harem
    Angie Miller – “Cry Me A River” by Julie London

Amber Holcomb and Kree Harrison – “Rumor Has It” by Adele (Duo)
    Angela Miller and Candice Glover – “Stay” by Rihanna (Duo)

20. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

And yet another night of ballads. :yawn:

21. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

if i didnt know better, i'd say these were last wks songs

22. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I'm trying to keep an open mind, but I'm a bit :yikes: at some of the song choices.

23. my little pony

say what you will about the reign of the WGWG, each week wasnt a tribute to whitney/celine/mariah.

24. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

I was asked to pick up a shift at Job#2, and I took it because I figure I'm not missing anything.

25. shan

shan Well-Known Member

We're starting off with a standing ovation? ugh... For "Power of Love"? double ugh...

26. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

:yawn:
    WTF - OTT amber gets a NIKKI big praise.

27. Allskate

I could have predicted that Amber would get a standing ovation. They are promoting her to the extreme. They really want her to win.

28. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I don't get it. I thought Amber sang well, but it kind of trailed off at the end. I think she deserved praise, but good grief.

29. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I have nothing against her, but I don't really see it even for future success. And I disagree with Mariah's comment that Amber made it current. It was a beautiful cover, but I didn't see/hear anything new.

30. my little pony

ita, it sounded like she was trying very hard to copy the original