American Horror Story, Season 2: Casting news

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Beefcake, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

Casting and location news ... SPOILERS if you will.

Jessica Lange will be returning "in a big way," says Ryan Murphy. :cheer2:
    “
    First of these leaked was:
    Zachary Quinto, who will be the "male co-lead" :cheer2: Lange and he were electric in their showdown scene in S1.
    Also announced:
    :) Evan Peters (diabolical murderous Tate in S1)
    :) Sarah Paulson (Ghost researcher/Constance's pal in S1)
    :) Lily Rabe (Nora, the confused 1920s ghost/mother of the infantata)

I like that this is apparently a completely different story, perhaps the perfect recipe for overcoming Murphy's penchant for not able to build on the characters and stories that were so intriguing in his prior series' excellent first seasons. New setting, new characters ... could save Murphy from himself, and give us a second season of :watch: delicious, creepy ridiculousness. :kickass:

2. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I am really curious to see how they use the same actors but give them different characters. It is going to feel really weird at first but Ryan Murphy may be reinventing the television series yet again. I hope the young girl comes back, she was my favorite along with Lange's character and Peters.

3. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

I approve. Very happy with who's coming back so far, and especially with a Lange v. Quinto storyline. Those two were great snarking at each other in the first season.

4. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I watched the first two episodes and trailed off. Did Season 1 come to a total end? This is an interesting approach.

5. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

S1 definitely had a wrapping-up. Though, a second season - done right - could've have explored some angles teeing off of the finale.

... including, Constance's life raising her new ward /
    son/grandson / fast-maturing serial killer / monster
    , and the core family's new living
    or rather non-living
    situation.

I'm glad that this seemingly won't be attempted, though.

6. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Spin Alissa Spin!!!

I remember reading an article that said they "may" revisit the Season 1 house/storyline in a future season(Season 4 or 5).

7. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

The Nero Wolfe Mysteries on A&E used to do that all the time. Or something like it. Certain actors like Tim Hutton and Maury Chaykin played the same characters all the way through, but then other actors, like Kari Matchett and James Tolkan, played lots of different characters. Essentially they had their own little repertory company, and it was pretty cool.

8. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

:sekret: More casting news: The Voice's/Maroon 5's Adam Levine, red-hot in Hollywood and in :grope: my fantasies, is in final negotiations to appear. I'm not sure in what capacity ... one episode, multi-ep arc, or what. I'll take him however they want to give him -- I only ask that he inherits Dylan M's wardrobe, or lack thereof.

Description of the role from EW:
    In his television acting debut, Levine will be playing a contemporary character and half of a couple called “The Lovers.” AHS producers are so fond of Levine that they are shooting around his summer touring schedule.

Also, while Downton Abbey has/was moved (rightfully) to compete in the "drama series" category, versus miniseries, AHS is cleared to compete in the miniseries category. The reasoning is sound, I think: "Because of its anthology format, meaning brand new storylines and cast each season, a season of AHS could be perceived as a miniseries/limited series."

This move will likely help AHS win more nominations and perhaps win more than just Jessica Lange's. OHOH, I wanted Jessica to snag the Emmy for Best Actress, Drama Series, versus the lesser "... in a Mini-Series.

9. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Yay. A thread for one of my favorite series! :)

Loved the flashbacks in Season #1 showing the horrifying history of the house and the genesis of the ghosts.

I also loved the way they integrated the mystery of the famous Black Dahlia Murder into the history of the house. Anyone remember that?

10. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

Beefy here, with the AHSNN semi-regular report:

The setting for Season 2 will be on the
    East Coast at an institution for the criminally insane that is run by Jessica [Lange].”
    . Ryan Murphy says to not expect Lange to be anything similar to her campy Constance. Good move! It's vital to there are almost no similarities in any of the actors' new roles. I'd like to see Jessica's character be earnestly trying to deal with what's going on versus giving Baby Jane a run for her money.

And, then, Season 3 can swing back to Constance, as she tries to raise, nurture, and protect her young devil boy serial killer. :watch:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2012
  11. AliasJohnDoe

12. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

13. BigB08822

Chloe Sevigny has always been a perfect fit for this show. I hope she signs on!

14. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I found this article very interesting: http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00049809.html (This would include some spoilers if you don't want to know anything about the casting)

Murphy was at an event promoting the series with several of the season 1 cast members. Of those there, Quinto, Lange, Rabe, and Peters were already announced as being the season two cast. However, Murphy said that
    "The second season, everybody who was announced, there will be other people up on this stage who are not announced who will also be in it," he teased, "but are playing the polar opposite of what they were in the first season in every way." The other people on the stage were Dylan McDermott :swoon:, Connie Britton, Alexandra Breckenridge :swoon:, and Denis O'Hare :swoon: I could go either way with Britton, but I'd love for all three of the others to be back...although...I do want there to be quite a few new people besides just Sevigny and Levine.

15. BigB08822

I have a feeling the season 2 premiere is going to break all sorts of ratings records for FX.

16. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

Ryan Murphy tweeted a link to an extremely vague teaser for season 2 today: https://twitter.com/MrRPMurphy

I can't wait for season 2! The additions of Chloe Sevigny and Clea Duvall are particularly exciting for me!

17. CynicElle

Just watched the preview.

What was she dumping out of the bucket? :yikes:

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

It seemed like some sort of organs. I wondered if it was brain bits from lobotomies...now, the question becomes, why is she dropping organs in the woods?

19. CynicElle

Bump!

The new season starts on Wednesday the 17th, and I realized I'm going to be home alone when it's on. I wonder if I can call my mommy to come over ...

20. BigB08822

I saw that you need to set this to record on your DVR or what not EVEN IF YOU ALREADY HAVE IT SET FROM LAST YEAR. Apparently it won't record because they have changed the name, adding : Asylum at the end. This will cause most DVR's to not record it without it being manually set. SO SET IT TO RECORD!!!

21. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Saw the season opener and it looks GOOD! I am hooked already. :cheer2:

22. AliasJohnDoe

23. olympic

Has anyone watched the first 3 episodes? The show is disturbing - Evil outdoes evil

24. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Not yet but I am looking forward to it.

25. BigB08822

I have watched all of them. Not a fan of this alien idea. I had kind of hoped that it was just in the guys head and he was truly crazy but we saw a glimpse of an alien in the last episode and that was in a scene with Lange's character. I guess they are real. Blah. The rest is GREAT.

26. AliasJohnDoe

I've seen the first 3 episodes of this season. Very gory, but i like it.

It could use a little more Adam Levine and Joseph Fiennes though. :swoon:

27. BigB08822

Anyone still watching? It has really begun to move quickly and with only 2 episodes I guess they are making sure to wrap things up. I feel the pacing is a little off and they are indeed rushing now to get the story all in but I still love every minute of it. The musical number with Jessica Lange was absolute genius and was probably better than any crap Glee has done in years. I guess Ryan Murphy had that one in his pocket for a while.

Ryan Murphy said there was a clue about the upcoming season in one of the scenes with Sister Jude at the juke box. The song playing (besides the musical number she performed) was I Put a Spell on You. Many people believe next season may be about witchcraft, which I think would be just awesome. I noticed this week that Sister Jude had another scene at the juke box and the song playing this time was Love Potion #9 which is another big hint about witches! It is either true or Ryan Murphy is very cruel. lol

28. MarieM

MarieM Well-Known Member

He is cruel :)

29. olympic

Let's see - the season included - The Devil, a serial killer, an SS doctor, and a suggested alien presence - I think Ryan Murphy locked down every evil element known (and actually unknown!) to man and put it in a show. The inside of his mind must be :scream:

30. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I'm still watching and the aliens are the most interesting story line. :lol: So glad that Lana and Kit got away and both baby mamas are alive. But not sure what he's gonna do now. :lol: