American Horror Story: Coven

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by La La Candy, Oct 17, 2013.

1. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

2. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

^^It's Beverly Leslie! I love Leslie Jordan! He's hilarious!

3. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

If the rest of the episode is as scary as Frances Conroy's hair, we should be in for a fun night!

4. kwanatic

:lol::lol::lol:

5. kwanatic

Excellent episode last night! So many things happened!

The council showed up and we got a little back story on Fiona and Myrtle. OMG, Butler Spaulding is super creepy. WTF is he doing with Madison's body?? Worst. Tea Party. Ever. At first he comes off as weird but kinda sweet...but now we know he is all kinds of effed up, if we hadn't already figured that out when he cut out his tongue.

Cordelia's husband is a psycho. I hate they brought sexy red-head (Alexandra Breckenridge) in only to do that to her...

So if Madison wasn't the new Supreme, who is? Zoe? Misty? Nan? Some yet undiscovered witch? I do think it's telling that the day after Fiona killed Madison and Lalaurie was helping her dress, when Lalaurie told her "You look..." and Fiona filled in the word "younger" but Lalaurie was going for "beautiful." I think Fiona was seeing what she wanted to see but hadn't really noticed that she wasn't feeling or looking younger.

Good to see Queenie is still alive but Marie's minotaur lover is not...and thus battle begins. I don't know who is supposed to be more powerful on the show (witches or voodoo queens) but Marie dealt one f**ked up psychological low blow by sending Lalaurie's dead zombie daughters trick-or-treating at Not-Hogwarts. Marie's power is pretty freakin' terrifying and it looks like she's gone one step further by having Cordelia assaulted with acid...assuming that was her. I'm not so sure it is though.

I can't wait to see how this one plays out...

6. AliasJohnDoe

Queenie explaining Madison possibly being dead: "She probably got wasted and decided to give the Grim Reaper a hand job." :lol:

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
    Allen and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

Last night's episode was my favorite so far. The first episode was good, but the next three have been great each are slightly better than the one before. I'm LOVING Francis Conroy as Myrtle Snow...well, let's face it, I love Frances Conroy as anything (other than her really bland appearance in Broken Flowers). It was great to see Leslie Jordan as a member of the council! Even though a lot of his characters are all the same...I love him whenever he pops up.

Gabourey Sidibe actually showed more in the two to three lines she had last night than she has the entire season...maybe she'll step it up more in the upcoming episodes. We get Danny Houston two weeks from now, which should be interesting.

I was disappointed that Alexandra's Breckenridge's arc lasted all of about 4 minutes...and let's face it, 1 of those minutes were her getting plowed, so it wasn't that interesting. I knew she was a goner when Hank said he was a monster for Halloween last year.

I kept thinking that Denis O'hare was more interesting a more interesting character not speaking than most characters we see on TV.

In regards to the new Supreme...I saw some hints on IMDB that lead me to believe Zoe and Cordelia both show new powers, so I wonder if it's one of them? I would LOVE it to be Nan, but she hasn't show anything outside of clairvoyance.

That's my favorite line of the season so far...just over "I'm mad about a tartan" and "It's so hot my vagina is sweating."

I did misinterpret the hand coming out of the grave in the preview as Madison coming back to life, but that was Marie's zombies.

8. CynicElle

I've always noticed that the fourth episode of every season is when AHS always seems to pick up steam, and this was definitely the case last night. I suspect that Zoe is the real Supreme (the way that Fiona kept dismissing her as stupid and weak seemed like a tell to me) and I really doubt Marie had anything to do with the attack on Cordelia, but other than that I really have no idea how this season is going to play out. Which is nice.

9. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I don't think Marie was behind the attack on Cordelia either...I'm wondering if it has to do with Hank. I'm curious to see what his story ends up being.

10. susan6

susan6 Well-Known Member

If that thing about the Supreme having the glow of excellent health is true, the infertility knocks Cordelia out of the running. Depending on the definition of excellent health, Nan might also be out. It's probably Zoe. Which is annoying, because she's been nothing but annoyingly stupid so far.

11. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Zoe is the Farmiga girl, right? I really hope it's not her because that is so predictable and she has been helpless. I'd like a twist. Maybe someone we haven't met yet or what about Lily Rabes character?! She can't be killed so her health is not an issue. Lol

12. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I think Zoe is too predictable as well. However, because the new supreme is absorbing her power, it would seem it would almost have to be someone in the house or someone with whom she has come in contact, which makes me think it isn't Misty. Queenie and Nan seem like they would not be logical choices based on the criteria that keeps accumulating. So, it almost makes me think it has to be Zoe since offing Madison did not seem to change the situation.

13. AliasJohnDoe

Does the Supreme have to be a woman? I was thinking maybe it's the hot new neighbor guy? There must be a reason why the new neighbors were brought into the story.

Zoe just seems to obvious.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  14. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

You know, it probably does not have to be a woman...all of the pictures of supremes on the wall are women. Interesting thought about the neighbor. There is an article where Patti Lupone describes her character as being like "Piper Laurie in Carrie." If the son is the new supreme, or a warlock at all, that statement would make a lot of sense. I wonder if we'll see a power of some sort manifest out of him in response to the zombie attack next week.

15. uyeahu

uyeahu Agitator. Sharpie lover (figuratively speaking).

Was up all night getting caught up on this new season. So far, so good. I am a late convert but really loving the show. I'm wondering if the new Supreme isn't her daughter. Is she too old? She resists using her powers so it's tough to say just what and how strong they are.

16. AliasJohnDoe

Which kind of leads me to believe it was Patti Lupone's character who threw the acid in Cordelia's face. Punishing Cordelia for running the school would seem logical for someone like Lupone's character.

17. CynicElle

*facepalm* I'd completely forgotten about her, but that's a really good guess. I bet she wasn't happy at all that her son went over to the house again to give the cookies to Nan.

18. BigB08822

I think we were told that males had been Supreme's before, it just isn't as common.

The neighbor guy is almost surely not a Supreme but it wouldn't surprise me if he turns out to be more than just the guy next door. However, if he is a warlock then why would his mom want to move to New Orleans in the first place? She seems like she would stay as far away from anything dealing with witches as possible.

One thing I found interesting about Patti Lupone's character was her lack of shock when the knife flew across the room and the curtains caught on fire. I know she came and later said she didn't know how Madison did it but to me she seemed awfully calm, as if she has seen such things before. Gives even more credit to those who think her son may be a warlock or maybe she is a self hating witch?

I don't think the Supreme has to be near the upcoming Supreme, by the way. I know she begins losing her powers but I didn't think it was a literal issue of her powers being syphoned while the upcoming Supreme was close. I think it is just something that slowly begins to happen as the new Supreme comes into power, even if that new Supreme is 1000 miles away. Just how I took it.

19. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

So, I've been meaning to catch this (I watched the first season) and just got around to catching up. I'm loving it! Jessica Lange is incredible, and I"m really enjoying Angela Basset's performance as well. I admit, I did not want Madison to die. As horrible as she was - there was something very compelling about her. I find myself annoyed with Zoey because she's so dang stupid.

The scenes with Kyle and his mom were also completely horrifying.

For what it's worth, I think Nan is the supreme. Maybe she set the curtains on fire and let Madison think she did it. She's also the one who found Kathy Bates & noticed Madison was missing.

Also, after I got done watching this season, I decided to start watching Asylum. Which is a really terrible idea when home alone, but I just can't stop. I don't know if I'll be getting much sleep tonight. :scream:

20. AliasJohnDoe

21. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

lol, the choice of music in the titular scene is fabulous

same scene - jessica lange reminds me of truman capote in murder by death, just fabulous

22. BigB08822

Great episode. Is there a new episode next week? I didn't see any previews.

23. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Ms. Farmiga kicks ass w/ a chain-saw. Loved it!

Also love seeing how Halloween was celebrated in the Madame Lalaurie household in the the 19th Century. LOL

I was also glad to see Lily Rabe re-emerge in her Necromancer role after not being in the show last week.

For those who watched: I think there was a very big clue pointing to who is the new Supreme.

24. CynicElle

Whee! Not at all surprising, but I'm happy.

25. AliasJohnDoe

26. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

Mine too! I'm totally addicted to this now! I always make sure that my Wednesday evenings are free! :D

I'm not liking the turn it took with the husband - but we'll see where that goes. I would totally love it if they took 'Coven' into another season - and another - and another! They've got a winner with this one imo!

27. BigB08822

There is no way Coven will go on for more than one season. They plan these ahead of time to be completed in one season. It would go against what the entire series has been about from the beginning AND it would no longer make it a mini-series but instead of regular TV show which would mess with all the awards nominations and such.

28. AliasJohnDoe

I believe "AHS" is playing it smart with keeping each yearly installment as a mini-series instead of a continuing series. The show and actors have a better chance at winning awards in the mini-series catagory. Which they do win. :D

But I'll also agree, I'll probably be wanting more Coven after this season. When the first season ended, Murphy did say that he may "revisit" a few installments. This is a show that can go on for many years and maybe do a few "Part 2"s.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  29. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I remember when I heard they were going to use the anthology approach, I was kind of disappointed, but it's actually worked out well (even though I didn't love season 2). Very few shows stay strong for their entire run, so have each season stand alone is kind a genius idea. Apparently, Hostages is planning to do the same thing and I thought I heard that The Following would be done in a similar way.

I have to say that one of my favorite elements this season is the incorporation of the historical characters. I'm really curious to see what Murphy does with the Axeman in the coming weeks. I had actually never heard of the Axeman until reading an interview where Murphy said he was a real character as well. Pretty grisly stuff from what I read about the Axeman...I guess Danny Huston will kind of be the Ian McShane of this season :)

30. BigB08822

The Hostages is going to do something new every year? Is it even going to get another year, I thought the ratings were horrible. I heard any interview with Dylan McDermott and he made it sound like this was a one time thing but didn't mention something new for next year. I just assumed it was only intended to run one season and that makes sense with the subject matter.