American Horror Story: Coven

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by La La Candy, Oct 17, 2013.

1. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Zoe is the Farmiga girl, right? I really hope it's not her because that is so predictable and she has been helpless. I'd like a twist. Maybe someone we haven't met yet or what about Lily Rabes character?! She can't be killed so her health is not an issue. Lol
  2. Allen

Allen New Member

I think Zoe is too predictable as well. However, because the new supreme is absorbing her power, it would seem it would almost have to be someone in the house or someone with whom she has come in contact, which makes me think it isn't Misty. Queenie and Nan seem like they would not be logical choices based on the criteria that keeps accumulating. So, it almost makes me think it has to be Zoe since offing Madison did not seem to change the situation.
  3. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Spin Alissa Spin!!!

Does the Supreme have to be a woman? I was thinking maybe it's the hot new neighbor guy? There must be a reason why the new neighbors were brought into the story.

Zoe just seems to obvious.
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  4. Allen

Allen New Member

You know, it probably does not have to be a woman...all of the pictures of supremes on the wall are women. Interesting thought about the neighbor. There is an article where Patti Lupone describes her character as being like "Piper Laurie in Carrie." If the son is the new supreme, or a warlock at all, that statement would make a lot of sense. I wonder if we'll see a power of some sort manifest out of him in response to the zombie attack next week.
  5. uyeahu

uyeahu Agitator. Sharpie lover (figuratively speaking).

Was up all night getting caught up on this new season. So far, so good. I am a late convert but really loving the show. I'm wondering if the new Supreme isn't her daughter. Is she too old? She resists using her powers so it's tough to say just what and how strong they are.
  6. AliasJohnDoe

Which kind of leads me to believe it was Patti Lupone's character who threw the acid in Cordelia's face. Punishing Cordelia for running the school would seem logical for someone like Lupone's character.
  7. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

*facepalm* I'd completely forgotten about her, but that's a really good guess. I bet she wasn't happy at all that her son went over to the house again to give the cookies to Nan.
  8. BigB08822

I think we were told that males had been Supreme's before, it just isn't as common.

The neighbor guy is almost surely not a Supreme but it wouldn't surprise me if he turns out to be more than just the guy next door. However, if he is a warlock then why would his mom want to move to New Orleans in the first place? She seems like she would stay as far away from anything dealing with witches as possible.

One thing I found interesting about Patti Lupone's character was her lack of shock when the knife flew across the room and the curtains caught on fire. I know she came and later said she didn't know how Madison did it but to me she seemed awfully calm, as if she has seen such things before. Gives even more credit to those who think her son may be a warlock or maybe she is a self hating witch?

I don't think the Supreme has to be near the upcoming Supreme, by the way. I know she begins losing her powers but I didn't think it was a literal issue of her powers being syphoned while the upcoming Supreme was close. I think it is just something that slowly begins to happen as the new Supreme comes into power, even if that new Supreme is 1000 miles away. Just how I took it.
  9. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

So, I've been meaning to catch this (I watched the first season) and just got around to catching up. I'm loving it! Jessica Lange is incredible, and I"m really enjoying Angela Basset's performance as well. I admit, I did not want Madison to die. As horrible as she was - there was something very compelling about her. I find myself annoyed with Zoey because she's so dang stupid.

The scenes with Kyle and his mom were also completely horrifying.

For what it's worth, I think Nan is the supreme. Maybe she set the curtains on fire and let Madison think she did it. She's also the one who found Kathy Bates & noticed Madison was missing.

Also, after I got done watching this season, I decided to start watching Asylum. Which is a really terrible idea when home alone, but I just can't stop. I don't know if I'll be getting much sleep tonight. :scream:
  10. AliasJohnDoe

11. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

lol, the choice of music in the titular scene is fabulous

same scene - jessica lange reminds me of truman capote in murder by death, just fabulous
  12. BigB08822

Great episode. Is there a new episode next week? I didn't see any previews.
  13. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Ms. Farmiga kicks ass w/ a chain-saw. Loved it!

Also love seeing how Halloween was celebrated in the Madame Lalaurie household in the the 19th Century. LOL

I was also glad to see Lily Rabe re-emerge in her Necromancer role after not being in the show last week.

For those who watched: I think there was a very big clue pointing to who is the new Supreme.
  14. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

Whee! Not at all surprising, but I'm happy.
  15. AliasJohnDoe

16. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

Mine too! I'm totally addicted to this now! I always make sure that my Wednesday evenings are free! :D

I'm not liking the turn it took with the husband - but we'll see where that goes. I would totally love it if they took 'Coven' into another season - and another - and another! They've got a winner with this one imo!
  17. BigB08822

There is no way Coven will go on for more than one season. They plan these ahead of time to be completed in one season. It would go against what the entire series has been about from the beginning AND it would no longer make it a mini-series but instead of regular TV show which would mess with all the awards nominations and such.
  18. AliasJohnDoe

I believe "AHS" is playing it smart with keeping each yearly installment as a mini-series instead of a continuing series. The show and actors have a better chance at winning awards in the mini-series catagory. Which they do win. :D

But I'll also agree, I'll probably be wanting more Coven after this season. When the first season ended, Murphy did say that he may "revisit" a few installments. This is a show that can go on for many years and maybe do a few "Part 2"s.
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  19. Allen

Allen New Member

I remember when I heard they were going to use the anthology approach, I was kind of disappointed, but it's actually worked out well (even though I didn't love season 2). Very few shows stay strong for their entire run, so have each season stand alone is kind a genius idea. Apparently, Hostages is planning to do the same thing and I thought I heard that The Following would be done in a similar way.

I have to say that one of my favorite elements this season is the incorporation of the historical characters. I'm really curious to see what Murphy does with the Axeman in the coming weeks. I had actually never heard of the Axeman until reading an interview where Murphy said he was a real character as well. Pretty grisly stuff from what I read about the Axeman...I guess Danny Huston will kind of be the Ian McShane of this season :)
  20. BigB08822

The Hostages is going to do something new every year? Is it even going to get another year, I thought the ratings were horrible. I heard any interview with Dylan McDermott and he made it sound like this was a one time thing but didn't mention something new for next year. I just assumed it was only intended to run one season and that makes sense with the subject matter.
  21. Allen

Allen New Member

One day on a long drive, I was listening to the Editors' Hour on EW radio on Sirius and they were saying that The Following and Hostages planned to take the anthology approach. Of course, I think that is contingent on Hostages getting renewed. I must admit that I watched the first two episodes and then never bothered again. Great cast, but nothing made me want to watch more. However, with a different story, I'd probably watch it again.

I'm hoping that Murphy stays with the somewhat lighter tone next season as well. Asylum was just too continually bleak (besides The Name Game) for me.
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  22. AliasJohnDoe

"The Name Game" video was my favorite scene from Asylum last year.
    CynicElle and (deleted member) like this.
  23. CDANN1013

CDANN1013 Active Member

According to E online,
    Stevie Nicks is a guest star in episode 10

Carol
  24. AliasJohnDoe

:cheer2: ....I can't wait.
  25. BigB08822

I don't remember if it was on this message board or another but I predicted Nicks would be on the show at some point. They obviously had to get her approval for all of the music so she had to know she was going to be mentioned in the show a bit and a guest appearance just seems to be the next natural step.
  26. mrinalini

mrinalini Active Member

Count me in as one who hasn't been that impressed with Coven so far, although anything with Bates, Lange and Bassett in it means it's a must watch for me. Asylum was so much better because it wasn't so campy and the writing was sharper, more human and thus more relatable. Coven so far has been nothing but one schlocky horror movie trope after another and bears so little semblance to the real world that it's hard for it to be affecting.

Bates and Lange, however, have been superb (well, duh!); Bassett's character hasn't been fleshed out that deeply yet but she does well with what little she's given. Farmiga's character, Zoe, is just so stupid that she's gonna make for one supremely annoying Supreme!
  27. La La Candy

La La Candy New Member

I was not blown away by the first episode, but every episode since has been fantastic. I'm really enjoying Coven. Very different from Asylum..which I think is a good change-up. Coven has certainly given me a few laugh out loud moments. This week was no different with,

“I just want to find a good husband and have three kids. I think I have a good shot. I work out and play fantasy football.” :lol:

and

"My mom met someone on eHarmony, and they just went on a cruise to Nova Scotia.” :rofl:
  28. AliasJohnDoe

I feel sorry for Kyle. He can't catch a break. And now he's chained up like an animal by stupid airhead Zoe. She'll probably forget about him for a week or 2. She is not Supreme material.

Misty watering Myrtle. :lol:
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  29. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

LOL at the class of 1919 turning the tables on a serial killer.

Yay! Madison is back.

I don't know why, but I just love that Gabourey Sidibe is in this.
  30. BigB08822

I think Sidibe is useless and could have been cast with almost anyone else. I know this is probably not nice but when I see her I am seriously worried for her health. She is so large. That has little to do with her acting, of course, but it makes me uncomfortable to watch her because I think about her as a person who could be in real danger and not about the character she is trying to portray.
  31. AliasJohnDoe

32. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Last night's episode was interesting...lots of necrophilia going on there. :D

Zoe is starting to realize she has power though I'm not 100% sure why she killed Spaulding. Maybe b/c she knew he'd try to protect Fiona?

The whole Madison/Kyle then Madison/Kyle/Zoe thing was pretty crazy...

Seems to be getting worse as Zoe grows stronger. Next week is going to be really interesting with them all going after Fiona. I can't wait to see how that turns out.

And how awesome is Angela Bassett? I absolutely love her in this role and she's playing the hell out of it!

So excited to see what's going to happen! 2 week wait though :(
  33. BigB08822

Zoe had to kill Spaulding. He is never ever going to be loyal to anyone but Fiona and will do absolutely anything to protect her. However, the way this show works, don't be surprised if she just wants him dead for now and plans on bringing him back after they take care of Fiona.
  34. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

yeah they are seriously short on wait staff right about now
  35. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

This season is so much enjoyable than the other two.

It's more cohesive, and while there are plenty of "oh sh-t" moments they seem to mostly make sense.

Bummed that next season will be Jessica Lange's last; she's made this entire series.

Loving Kathy Bates character, especially when she was in the drive-thru.
  36. BigB08822

Do you think Bates would be interested in taking over for Lange as the female lead???
  37. AliasJohnDoe

According to this weeks EW magazine, Murphy's been trying to get Reese Witherspoon, Michelle Pfeiffer and Michael Chiklis to guest in future installments.

He also would like to get Connie Britton and Dylan McDermott to guest on Coven before it ends.

Bates and Bassett both said they love the show and would keep doing it if asked.

ETA: I get the feeling Lange would continue after next season if the price was right. ;)
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  38. La La Candy

La La Candy New Member

Lange is leaving!?! I missed that bit of news.

Looking forward to tonight / new episode.
  39. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Roommate and I just finished the season finale of Asylum tonight. We loved the first season but we were absolutely hooked on Asylum and were totally in love with how much of a BAMF Lana Winters was by the end (and we both loved Sister Jude as well). The whole cast was just so spot-on the whole season, I was surprised only Cromwell got an Emmy for it (which he richly deserved, he was spectacularly loathsome). I was also shocked that it ended on such a (relatively) happy note - lots of shockingly sweet moments in the finale with Kit and Jude in particular. Lily Rabe did an extraordinary job as well.

Excited to start watching Coven soon. We're both salivating at the thought of Kathy Bates on this show with Jessica Lange. Plus, last I checked Dylan McDermott wasn't in Coven, which is fantastic.
  40. AliasJohnDoe