American Horror Story: Coven

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by La La Candy, Oct 17, 2013.

1. La La Candy

La La Candy New Member

Fellow AHS fans..what do you think of Coven?

I have to admit I wasn't blown away by the 1st episode. I did enjoy episode 2..
    I just thought the introduction of the Sarah Paulson character's husband came out of the blue. Does this guy live at the boarding school? Obviously he knows she's a witch. I'm sure we'll get a flashback at some point with the back story on that one...

2. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I only have basic cable so I'll have to wait until it appears somewhere else other than FX before is can watch it.

3. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

I haven't seen it yet, it's on my DVR. It wasn't even on my radar until my sister told me to watch....says it's wonderful, and I wasn't quite convinced, even though I love Jessica Lange. But I decided I had to see it after I saw The People's Couch on Bravo. I'll check back, for sure.

4. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Spin Alissa Spin!!!

It's my second favorite show on TV right now, just behind "The Walking Dead".

It takes place in one of my favorite cities. I've visited New Orleans 6 times in my life. I believe it's better than the first 2 seasons so far. And you can't ask for a better cast.

Waiting for sparks to fly between Queenie and Delphine. ;)

5. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I am loving it. The cast is simply amazing and the delivery of some of the lines is just impeccable. I did think the introduction of the husband was really random but oh well, that's a pretty small blemish so far on what is shaping up to be a great season.

6. La La Candy

La La Candy New Member

I can't wait to see more of Frances Conroy...LOVED the brief glimpse of her character

7. AliasJohnDoe

I like how "American Horror Story" does a different story every season. With the actors playing different roles. It's a good concept.

8. BigB08822

And I remember when this was first announced that I thought it was the dumbest thing to have the same actors but different characters. I couldn't imagine it working. I am so dumb sometimes.

9. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

I agree and I feel like it's getting better every season. Love the Coven, it's definitely my favourite so far.

10. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

I've been watching since the beginning, and so far I'm loving this season. Lange, Bates, and Bassett are almost too much awesomeness for one show.

11. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I have watched from the beginning as well. Loved the first season, but really never connected to Asylum. Coven; however, is fabulous! I agree wholeheartedly about Lange, Bates, and Bassett, but I have to say, Emma Roberts, Jamie Brewer, Lily Rabe, and Sarah Paulson are also contributing greatly to the season. Rabe and Paulson are no brainers, but I didn't expect to like Emma Roberts so much. I'm always in awe of Jamie Brewer and how complex her characterizations are. I'm curious to see Patti Lupone next week and what she brings to the season.

12. Lainerb

Lainerb New Member

Love the addition of Gabourey Sidibe to the cast. She is such a talent and I love her character's personality and attitude as well as her powers.

13. BigB08822

I feel like Sidibe has played the same person in every role since Precious. I still like her but I have yet to see her show any range whatsoever.

14. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

The powerful interaction on screen among Bassett-Bates-Lange is mesmerizing. That alone is worth the show! But, Lily Rabe is also a scene stealer and all of Paulson, Sidibe, Farmiga should never be ignored.

It's almost like the high talent of the actors is driving all of them to give their best.

15. AliasJohnDoe

I can see all 3 actresses nominated for Golden Globes. Possibly Emmy too.

16. La La Candy

La La Candy New Member

Me too...and I have to say, the last scene in the 2nd episode (with Lange/Bates sitting on the bench) was perfection.

I have also been watching this series from the beginning...thanks to my daughter who was so hyped about season 1 & demanded we watch it. She also got me hooked on Ray Donovan...but AHS is my favourite series by far. So happy to have fellow fans to chat with!!

17. BigB08822

Has anyone else noticed Lange's vein throbbing in her neck during some of her scenes? It is unnatural looking and very distracting at times. I know she can't help it but just curious if it has caught anyone else's eye.

18. JeffClair1979

JeffClair1979 Active Member

Looking forward to seeing Patti LuPone this season- She is my all time favorite Broadway star... I'll be interested to see what character they have her playing- I think I saw a bit on the preview of the next episode, but not enough to be able to tell how she plays in. Not sure- I may be an episode behind... Need to check my DVR!

19. AliasJohnDoe

Found this snippet on Lupone's character in episode #3: http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...ampaign=Feed: Tvbythenumbers (TVbytheNumbers)

Good news. The second episode did better than the premiere episode. :cheer2:

20. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Those are my two favorites too! You're my new best friend!! :D

I'm loving Coven so far! My family is from Louisiana and I've always been fascinated by and loved the culture around New Orleans. I grew up hearing the stories about the real Marie Laveau so I was very interested to see how they were going to incorporate her into this season. I've been to Marie Laveau's House of Voodoo on Bourbon Street before and it's pretty awesome. :) I also knew about Lalaurie (so much history in New Orleans!) and I love how they incorporated the fact that no one really knows what happen to her after that fire/raid on her house. People say she went back to France but no one knows for sure...come to find out she's buried outside the house!! Lol! This is the first time they've used actual historical figures in a story which adds a different level of intrigue to it IMO.

There are some fabulous actresses in this show. Lange is amazing, Bassett is incredible and has always been very underrated IMO, and Bates is wonderful too. All of the supporting actors are great as well. I'm excited about this season. Asylum was interesting but it wasn't nearly as good as season 1. This season feels like it's shaping up to be more on par with season 1.

Yes, I noticed that for the first time when she and Lalaurie were sitting on the bench. It's pretty freaky! :lol:

21. AliasJohnDoe

22. CynicElle

23. La La Candy

La La Candy New Member

Ok, so I just had to look-up their ages & found Taissa is 19 and Vera 40....they have the same parents and Taissa is the youngest of 7. Wonder if Taissa was an "oops" LOL
    They are both beautiful ladies & very gifted actors. Loved Vera in 'The Departed' and 'Up In the Air'.

24. AliasJohnDoe

Delphine's reaction to Obama as president. :lol:

Queenie loves her some minotaur!!! :cheer:

Mare Winningham. I get excited and like "Under The Dome", gone by the end. :mad:

25. La La Candy

La La Candy New Member

I thought the same thing about Mare Winningham...killed off two shows...what a waste.

Once again, loved the last scene.."This coven doesn't need a new supreme. It needs a new rug" :rofl:

26. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Such a great episode!! This season is getting good!

I died laughing at Lalaurie crying about Obama too! "LIIIIIIIEEESSSS!" Hilarious! I also love how Fiona made her Queenie's slave saying she can't stand a racist. In the context of the show I'm sure that stems from the discrimination her kind (witches) have received throughout the years in addition to the fact racism is antiquated in this day and age.

SPOILER ALERT...just in case...

The whole thing with Zoe/Kyle/his mom was SO disturbing! OMG, he was being sexually abused by his mother. Poor kid...but he got her in the end. I think he's slowly starting to regain some kind of awareness about what's going. Hopefully at some point in the future he'll actually speak...though he did let out a good "NOOOOO!" before he bashed his mother's face in with his little league trophy...

I was really enjoying Emma Roberts as the bitchy witch but I love the way Madison's death ties into the story: the new Supreme basically sucks the life out of the old one. Once Fiona figured it out what was going on she knew exactly what she was going to do...talk about a ruthless muthawitch! Wow!

Best. Line. Ever. I was like, "DAAAMMMNN...honey badger, meet Fiona." At first I was wondering if it was a mistake and she really was trying to get Madison to kill her...but after that rug comment I realized she got just what she wanted. I love Jessica Lange...she plays her roles so well. I'm thinking Madison probably isn't dead-dead at this early point in the season especially given that Misty (crazy bayou witch) has the power of resurrection. Maybe Zoe will bring her to Not-Hogwarts and they can resurrect Madison...assuming they ever find the body. Creeper butler guy (hey it's that guy!) seems to be in on Fiona's murderous scheming...either that or she's controlling him...

Poor Cordelia...she went to Marie Laveau who dangled the solution to her problem above her and then snatched it away while laughing in her face. Makes sense though...Fiona burned that bridge when she burned those wigs :)lol:). Angela Bassett plays a badass Marie Laveau! Chilling on her throne playing solitaire on an iPad...I love it! Things are just heating up between those two (Fiona and Marie).

WTF is up with Queenie and the minotaur? Better yet, why is he still a minotaur? Lalaurie just put the bull head on him...maybe he was dying and the only way for Marie to save him was to actually turn him into one? I'm not clear on that yet but I do know that the whole Queenie + beastiality thing was super awkward/uncomfortable. No clue if she's still alive or not...

Can't wait until next episode...this season is awesome so far! :D

27. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

imo her range is very limited. the scene with her and kathy bates in the kitchen, i felt like she was so out of her league.

28. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

Well even in the scenes she's been in with Jamie Brewer, Emma Roberts, and Taissa Farmiga, she's seemed out of her league. She was great as Precious, but she hasn't brought much else to the table in any other role she's been in since Precious. I find it very interesting that they brought in a descendent of Tituba, but I think there are other actresses that could have brought more to the role (Condola Rashad comes to mind).

I feel like the episodes just keep getting better and better. I hated to admit, but I didn't want Madison to die (even though I understand the reasons)...based on the fact that she brought Kyle back to life (and yes, I know she used a spell)...I wonder if she'll somehow self resurrect like Misty. IMDB has her down for 13 episodes, so I don't think she's out for the count. What a waste to only have Mare Winningham and Christine Ebersole around for one episode. I'm thrilled that Francis Conroy is back in the next episode.

I do wish there were some more prominent male characters...although I'm assuming Kyle will become more prominent. I would love to see John Benjamin Hickey on American Horror Story! Also, I think it would be interesting to see someone like Jim Parsons, who always does comedy, on that show.

Kathy Bates was terrific again lat night. I'm assuming Coven will get a slew of Emmy nominations (I'm assuming Lange, Bates, and Bassett. Paulson's role is a little limiting this year).

29. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i am another one that thought that changing stories each season was stupid until i saw it. i only wish they could bring ian mcshane back each season. i loved his creepy/sexy ways since he knocked up anna friedman in evergreen.

also so excited to see more patti lupone and would love to see christine ebersole come back somehow. a sing off wouldnt suck.

30. CynicElle

Yeesh -- I can remember when Mare Winningham always played the white-bread "girl next door" type. :yikes:

Dead rarely means gone on this show, so I'm feeling pretty confident we'll see Madison again.

And I love Marie. Nothing says "Badass voodoo queen" quite like sitting on your skull throne and playing Solitaire on your iPad while getting ready to crush someone's dreams. Excellent.