American College of Surgeons president in a "sticky" situation

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by deltask8er, Apr 20, 2011.

1. deltask8er

deltask8er Well-Known Member

http://rt.com/usa/news/surgeon-resignation-semen-controversy/

http://retractionwatch.wordpress.co...ditor-retraction-resignation-follow/#comments

Prominent Surgeon Resigns Post After Backlash Over Editorial

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/201...on-resigns-post-after-backlash-over-editorial

Is this a case of shooting the messenger if it is scientifically accurate?

2. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

If his research is legitimate then why should he have to resign? It isn't his fault if this is true. There could be other reasons such as women being more connected to mates when they have unprotected sex which could lead to higher levels of happiness, etc. etc. That isn't really the point, though. Unless his research was found to be fraudulent then how in the world is this right?

3. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

The 'other reasons' are an issue and it would be really difficult to control for them in research.

While I think that the study itself should have been examined and debunked, I do understand the outrage at it. It does reek of male chauvinism, especially when seen in context of past beliefs about the male and female sex which paraded as science. For example, according to the theory of the humours, women's ovaries were cold and sperm was necessary to warm them up. So, men are obligated to have sex with women to warm them up - convenient, isn't it?

4. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

It also promotes unsafe sex, which sets back sooooo many public health movements and campaigns.

5. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I don't think he was promoting unsafe sex at all. He was just reporting on a finding in his research. Could someone take it that way..well, I guess. However, that doesn't mean it was his intent. We can take plenty of things the wrong way.

As far as the male chauvinism, I see how that was a problem in the past but I don't think he was seriously advising all woman to allow men to ejaculate inside of them for their happiness.

6. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Certainly could be interpreted that way.

7. Wiery

Wiery Well-Known Member

Well, I think the fact that he included this information in a Valentine's day editorial is telling...there is some scientific research to support his claim, but he absolutely should have stated he was not promoting unprotected sex practices.

Here is a link to the research abstract: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12049024

deltask8er and (deleted member) like this.
  8. El Rey

El Rey Well-Known Member

Well sex without a condom does feels better and would make me happier. Doesn't mean I am going to go and do it.

9. deltask8er

deltask8er Well-Known Member

Thanks.

Yeah, more like a "wrong time, wrong place" to approach the matter. And the ACoS group were probably thinking "What else is he going to write about or say once he becomes President? :shuffle: "

Even if it relieves depression, by how much? And it's not like there are no other effective ways to treat it.

10. Gazpacho

Gazpacho Well-Known Member

I was like, why is a surgeon conducting research on this? But then I realized that he's merely discussing past research done by others.

I think it was the way he wrote it: