AMC's Rubicon

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Eden, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Eden

Eden Well-Known Member

AMC's Rubicon became one of the best first-year's shows in a long time, IMO. :respec:
    It has all in there, and yet without going into details other shows :cough24cough: loved to show.

This show reminds me a lot of the British The Sandbaggers.

Will Travis, the main character gives a great performance and so is the rest of the cast. Love Miranda Richardson's part as an investigating widow, who helps to solve the mystery puzzle.

I highly recommend it, and would love to discuss it here.
    Rubicon, IMO, is going to shine on the Golden Globes ceremony, and rightfully so.

Bostonfan and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

I've been watching the series from the beginning. It's a Season Pass recording on my DVR. I'm going to miss my Sunday night combo of Rubicon and Mad Men after next week.

The actor that plays Will is wonderfully cast. I could watch him think all day. And I'm particularly fond of Arliss Howard as Kale. I don't particularly like the casting of Spangler. He comes off a bit too eccentric at times.

I know the slow pace has vexed some people, but I actually enjoy something that doesn't have crazy camera angles and cuts. I'm still not entirely sure about the plot. Last week's episode suddently revealed a lot. But I would like to know more about the group of men (Atlas) and hope we get some insight. I'm wondering if it gets picked up for another season, will they wrap up this puzzle and present a new one that next season? Or continue the current storyline?

One mystery I want solved is the Meet Me in St. Louis clue! :)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
    Eden and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Eden

Eden Well-Known Member

Arliss Howard is simply :respec:. His character as Kale is very mysterious, quite a puzzle at this point. On one hand he helps Will, OTOH he is kinda with them.
    No doubt that he pulls a few strings on each side.

Meet Me in St. Louis , IMO, won't reveal much, but rather lead Will and Katherin to a new important clue or reveal an identity of the leader of the group.

And there is also the charming neighbor, who had sex with Will.
    She might also turn out to be not as innocent as she pretends.
    Not that I know something, just a feeling.

4. emason

emason Well-Known Member

I think the neighbor is bad, but what do I know? I'm really enjoying this show, I must say. I like a good puzzle and I love watching Will's team work together.

5. Bostonfan

Something hidden in the DVD case is what I'm thinking.

The show has had modest ratings. I pray that AMC will give us a second season!

6. Civic

Civic New Member

I sat through one episode and couldn't get into it. I have the same problem with it that I had with "Lost". The plot is just too damn convoluted for my simple brain.

7. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

This title was actually produced a few years ago and sat on the shelf because they didn't know if they should rework it or release as is.
    Exceptionally well done but yes very dense. No multi tasking during this show!

I watched the first ep and still can't tell you what it's about :(

And that's bad...because I'll be overseeing the DVD release in mid 2011

8. iamawake2

iamawake2 Member

I haven't it yet. I'm curious if it's anything like the British series MI-5?

9. Eden

Eden Well-Known Member

I thought that too at the beginning, but then it would be too obvious, since something was already hidden in the plain jewlery box, so IMO the hint might be in the Disk of the movie. Maybe in the middle of the movie there would be some sort of recording message?!

I hope so. There are talks about it according to some sources, but nothing official, yet.
    Meanwhile, Rubicon was purchased by BBC and is going to be aired on BBC4 in UK.
    The first episode is more of a background regarding Will's capability to discover things/conspiracies.
    The story itself begins in the middle of the second episode when Will doesn't have anymore doubts about David's death as a planned thing and not as an accident.

10. Eden

Eden Well-Known Member

Warning:
    This post about the season finale includes spoilers.

Wow, the finale was interesting with many questions unaswered, which means that we will - most likely - get season 2.

As I have predicted, there was a hidden recorded message inside the movie.
    Katherine's husband warns her in the message that her life is in danger. He asks her to go to a certain safe address, which turns out to be Will neighbor's flat.
    David Hadas leaves a message for Will, but we don't know what it was.
    Andie, Will's neigbor is working with one of the sides. She was supposed to protect Katherine, but she sucked at it.
    Katherine is murdered, and we don't know if Will was able to get the movie with the message from her before she dies.

The flower is a sign to either kill yourself or you'll be eliminated by the group.
    Spangler is warned by the group that he went too far, and needs to stop.
    In respond, Spangler promotes Grant to Will's position. Then he receives the famous four-leaf clover...

Will and Spangler meet in the roof to discuss the developments. By the end of that meeting Spangler admits his responsibility for David Hadas's death, and asks Will to write a report about it. He walks away, and Will sees the four-leaf clover.

So we don't know if Will got the movie, if Spangler kills himself, who is Andie working for, and all that.
    Can't wait for season 2.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  11. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Spoiler discussion continues:

I don't think Andie sucked at protecting Katherine; I still think she is a baddie and was in on the killing of Katherine.

I thought the episode was rather underwhelming. There was too much set-up for a possible new season and not enough resolution for season 1.

12. Bostonfan

It's been cancelled. Arrrgggghhh!!!!