Amazing Race Dec. 12 "Hi. I'm Sorry. I'm in a Race"

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by shan, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Lilia A

Lilia A Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure I saw:
    Gary and Mallory
    Brook and Claire
    Nick and Vicky
    Michael and Kevin
    Kynt and Vyxin
    Margie and Luke
    the team that lost their passport (not Toni and Dallas, but the other team)
    Maria and Tiffany
    Globetrotters
    Jaime and Cara
    Kisha and Jen
    Cowboys (please please, I'd love to see them again)
    Duhtectives
    and a few more, but I can't remember exactly

That's way too many for one season, innit? As long as they don't bring Carol and Brandy back, I'll be ok.
  2. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

Just so everyone is clear, they showed waaaaay more teams in that preview than will be racing next season. ;)

YAY for Nat & Kat!! About time a female team has won. And kudos to Brook & Claire for finishing a strong second!

Without question this was one of my favorite seasons... the locations were great, the teams were entertaining, and a LIKABLE team actually won! :respec: So many seasons of this show have been dampered by lousy winners, so I totally approve of the outcome this time around.

Can't wait for next season!! 70 days to go! :p
  3. Indra486

Indra486 Well-Known Member

Jaime and Cara

Jaime and Cara

Jaime and Cara

Heeeeeeelllooo, international taxis. :lol:
  4. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

See everyone on Feb 20?
  5. TygerLily

TygerLily Well-Known Member

Wheee! This is my first season in a while, so I can't believe my faves from episode one did it! Wheeee!

I'd better never watch again. ;)

I liked the final three, so I would have been happy with any winner, but I'm happiest with these ones!
  6. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Yes!!! I put B&C first in predictions but I don't care if I lose silver. So happy for Nat and Kat! :cheer2:

And hello HD...about time!
  7. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I'm 99%s sure she is. I saw an ET interview with her and Brooke where she talked about getting married and pregnant after the race. Surely they don't let pregnant women compete? I don't think they were on the spoiler list, either...
  8. Lilia A

Imagine them (well, really it's just Jaime) in Jill and Thomas' taxi from this episode :yikes::scream:
  9. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Wheeeeee!! So happy for nat n kat :) I wonder how far behind Brooke and Claire were- they seemed to cruise through that last task. I also wish we'd seen how Jill and Thomas got out of their cab purgatory
  10. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I wonder how quickly Brooke and Claire did the hat challenge- they showed them whipping through it, but I already didn't believe the "they can catch up" editing.

Still, they never showed anything but "we've got it!" so I wonder if they really didn't have too much trouble.
  11. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I don't remember Jaime and Cara, off to look them up.
  12. Indra486

Indra486 Well-Known Member

They basically teamed up with Margie and Luke throughout their season. They infamously had bad luck with taxi drivers but I think Jaime's screaming didn't help either. The dispatcher in Hawaii bit back at her during the finale:

"Tell your passenger that I'm not her personal concierge."

:lol: Golden.
  13. Fridge_Break

Not to mention they wandered around a temple in Beijing in funny dresses and face paint for 2 hours looking for a cluebox that was within 15 feet of them the entire time. :rofl:
  14. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

Nobody from this season was on the spoiler list. So who knows?

Go Kynt and Vysxyn! (I hope i got all the y's correct....)
  15. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

I could have sworn
    Gary and Mallory
    were on a spoiler list I saw.
  16. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

Luved the ending. Nat & Kat rocked. Loved how there were issues (diabetes, fear of heights, vegetarians) which were basically non issues. They seem like nice girls and they were a good team. I like Brook & Claire too.

Bob Eubanks should get an emmy nod for guest appearance. Was he having fun or what?

At least Tom was nice to Jill at the end, and not yelling.

I had read about the next season, but the clips got me so excited. So many teams I like! The Cowboys!! The Duhtectives

In general a great day, I had just finished watching my recording of the GPF and so happy with the ladies winner!!! People I root for Won!!!
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Fridge_Break

18. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I wonder how far into filming they are. I'm very excited to see several favorite teams as possible racers, especially Jet and Cord! :biggrinbo
  19. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

Loved the ending! Nat and Kat are smart, nice, and classy.

I hope those people they showed at the end really are in the race. I'd love to see the Cowboys back. Same with Team Glee and the Globetrotters. I could do without the Margie and Luke, though. The shoppers were fun and I'd be good with seeing them return. Would the teams that just finished this season really do it again so soon?

And it was even stupider considering that Thomas clearly knew L.A. I heard him mention the 405 when he was in the helicopter. Why would they just go to some random neighborhood? I'll bet there was a phone or internet access right at the Rose Bowl. :lol:
  20. Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori Well-Known Member

Given the question is asked on a TV Travel show, no doubt, by “Sancho Panca’s
    Master” they meant “Don Quichotte”.

But if this was a literature trivia competition or a quiz, I would not be so quick to call Don Quichotte the Master of Sancho Panca…. ”Who is Sacho Panca’s Master” could very well be a Trick Question….

I would probably scratch my head for a while, and think of the following…..

Don Quichotte offers Sancho Panca a barter arrangement, to become his companion and his scutifer (ecuyer? arm-carrier knight?) for the time being, and in exchange DQ will appoint SP a Graff and Governor of a certain island. It’s a barter arrangement, and they are sort of “partners in adventures”.

The story takes place in Feudal Times, and the two men roam the land as Knight and Knight-in-Training, therefore there is no “Master – Servant” relationship possible, given the details of the plot of ranks between “knight” and “knight-scutifer” with arm-carrying duties. Knight is not a Master to the Knight-Scutifer.

So to a question who is SP’s master, the correct answer (imho) is “he has no Master. He has a Senior Companion”.
  21. Lilia A

Valid point perhaps. But in TAR, where clues are meant to lead you somewhere, and if they had meant the answer to be "he has no Master. He has a Senior Companion”, that clue would have lead to nowhere.

Having said that, however; in Jill and Thomas' case, that clue really did lead them to absolute nowhere....
  22. The Village Idiot

The Village Idiot Demon Barber

Dustin and Kandice are still my all-time favorite team, but this is by far my favorite season. So many different, likable (for the most part) teams and fun/cheeky tasks. Loved Bob Eubanks this last leg!

Towards the end it did seem like Nat/Kat were way ahead of everyone else and that Brooke/Claire were edited to make it seem possibly close. But no, N/K pulled it off and I'm thrilled! Would've been happy w/ B/C also.

I am curious who/what Nat called to get internet help. Nice convincing to get the call recipient to handle their questions in front of 20 other people. I'm wondering if their time in LA helped out in that aspect. Though Thomas knew the 405 so he had some time there as well.

I can't believe for as well as Jill/Thomas had done, they got out of the cab in the middle of nowhere as opposed to being taken to a hotel where 1) they could get internet and 2) could get a new cabbie. Stress y'all.
  23. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

:cheer2: Long Beach!

:cheer2: Nat & Kat!

:cheer2: No more kvetching about no Girl/Girl winners!

:blah: Weak layout of this final leg. Not really challenging, and c'mon -- TAR can't whip up a finish in any other of hundreds of American cities? LA again?

:shuffle: Sorting flowers and making a pretty float? Fitting end to this "Girl/Girl winners or bust" season.
  24. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

Not looking forward to Luke and Bob, again, unless of course I get to enjoy them being eliminated really really early.

And please, PTB, no fun-with-subtitles! Poseurs Kynt and Vixyn 1) are not/were never dating; nor 2) are they/were they ever "goths".
  25. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Since we never saw Jill & Thomas leave the cab from hell, I'm assuming their AR camera person in the cab got a 'get to the finish line, they're last' phone call? I was hoping they'd hop out in the middle of the freeway, but that crap part of town was good too. Loved B&C going to a hotel for help - very smart.

:cheer2: to Team Doc for a great race overall. Sparkly :cheer2: to Team Flair. Loved their attitudes from the start.

Do we really have to bring back whiny Luke and overprotective Mom? :scream:
  26. Bev Johnston

Bev Johnston New Member

My favorites NEVER win!!! That's why I am so surprised and very happy about the outcome. I did think the final challenges kind of seemed easy, but I guess Jill and Thomas might have a different opinion, lol.

As for All Stars, I could really do without Jaime and Cara (really mostly Jaime), the Pee Break Sisters, and Margie and Luke. I hope Amanda and Chris last longer. They seemed like a nice couple that we didn't get to know.
  27. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Indeed!
    Bravo, Nat and Kat.
  28. mikemba

mikemba Active Member

I lurved both Nat and Kat and Brooke and Claire so I'm bery happy with this outcome.

I really liked how Nat and Kat set an example for other doctors, that is, that being respectful of others, kind, and humble takes nothing away from one's professional accomplishments. I hope other doctors will take note.

The only thing I didn't like about Brooke and Claire was how very juvenile and silly their 'flair' could sometimes be. But they were so positive, and so determined. Well done!

I am very happy that 2-women teams finished 1-2, and just lurved how sincerely happy Brooke and Claire were for Nat and Kat. All 4 seem like very lovely people.
  29. Bev Johnston

Bev Johnston New Member

I am generally not a fan of fake flowers or animal prints, so yeah... Although she seems like an okay person, Brooke especially got on my nerves with her "Look at me! Look at me!" behavior. I am glad that the calm, quiet, understated team won.

I was wondering why Nat wasn't freaking out about heights while she was riding in the helicopter. That seems about as scary as a a gondola.
  30. love skating

love skating Clueless American

This was a very anti-climatic ending, but that's okay since I was very happy Nat and Kat won. They deserved it. Brooke and Claire are great too. They were a hoot. Jill and Thomas were so stupid on this task. They could've asked to go to an internet cafe, a hotel, a library....but it seemed like they were just running around aimlessly.
  31. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

Jill & Thomas' experience in LA just proves that you can't rely on cab drivers who speak/understand English back home in the USA! They started the final leg in first and ended up in third, despite the fact that they all got the same flight and all seemed to be pretty close together on a couple of occasions.

Did anyone figure out who Nat & Kat called when they borrowed the cab driver's phone in Korea and again when they got to LA? I know when they were looking for answers to the clues they called some sort of information desk.

I was happy with the result - now that "monkey" of a girl-girl team is off everyone's back!

It's interesting that the version which was shown on our Canadian network (CTV) had nothing about the next season, the all-stars, etc.
  32. Dragonlady

Dragonlady Well-Known Member

I was very happy to see Nat and Kat win. Their calmness and problem solving skills when they had setbacks were most impressive, but that’s what their training is all about. What was most amazing was their ability to get past the obstacles: Kat eating meat (“It’s for a million dollars”), and Nat’s fear of heights. We cracked up when Nat landed on the float and said “I didn’t pee myself!”. That someone who was that scared could just suck it up and get on with the task was amazing.

That said, I am also impressed with Claire and Brooke. I mistakenly wrote them off at the start as having no chance. They’d be too high maintenance. When the going got tough, they’d fall apart. In fact, they were the opposite. Watermelon in the face – no problem. Not one complaint. By the end, their relentless perkiness kept them from being my favourite team. Especially their morning perkiness. But great competitors.
  33. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Having skimmed some of the TWoP final leg thread I'm pretty :eek: from from all the posters horrified that three college educated racers couldn't identify Sancho Panza. No, I didn't know myself and even worse, my mother has a MA in Spanish Lit with a thesis on Cervantes. :eek: I just never ended up reading it, nor did I ever see Man of La Mancha (which made me confused at the cut to Spanish music in Pang and Tong's Impossible Dream LP). :lol:

Suffice it to say I won't be admitting this to Mom!
  34. Fridge_Break

I think the freakout with the gondola ride was that she didn't know what they were going to have to do once they got to the top. With the helicopter there really wasn't any fear of the unknown, since it was going to land back on the ground somewhere, unless they were surprised with a "jump out of the helicopter" task (which I think the chances of that happening would be slim :lol: )

Same here :shuffle: I never read it, and quite honestly if I would have had to for some class, it's not something I would have found interesting and definitely not the kind of information that I would have retained afterwards.
  35. Skittl1321

I kind of agree- I have Don Quixote in the house, but got bored and stopped reading. I was never assigned to read it, and in the course of my B.S. only took ONE English class- tech writing. I tested out of all the rest in high school, and apparently the tests never mentioned that book. I kind of think AP classes do a disservice, because I didn't take any of the basic liberal arts courses in college.

DH had read it, and easily got the clue. If you had asked me about a Spaniard who walked among windmills, I would have known Don Q from cultural references- but his sidekick, no...

I'm also baffled by all the "tilting at windmills is a common expression" going on a twop. I have never heard anyone say that. I know enough about DQ to know he randomly wandered around windmills while drunk, but I had to ask DH if he could really parse the meaning of the expression he told me it's what you say when someone is doing something stupid and pointless. I'd just say they were doing something stupid and pointless. It might be an expression, but I wouldn't call it a common one.

Here's my next stupid admission. I didn't know Man of La Mancha was related to Don Q until Alissa's stupid exhibition song- then I was able to connect those two names together. (Man she had great split jumps in that program)

What I love though is someone said that Thomas told him at Tarcon that he had actually read Don Q in spanish... and he knew the answer, but the editing made it seem like he didn't. Um, maybe he did read it, but clearly the race made him forget the connection, or they wouldn't have had to bleed nearly so much time.
  36. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Well, I guess it's possible to have known the answer but still have no clue where to go next anyway. They'd have to ask or Google to find out about Quixote Studios and its location.
  37. Skittl1321

But his driver had GPS. If he figured out Quixote Studios- he would have 3 locations to go for. You'd think you'd pick one to drive towards (since they were driving randomly anyway), while trying to figure out how to approach the other clues.
  38. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

I knew that Sancho Panza was a character from Don Quixote and I've never read the book. :shuffle:

:cheer2: for Nat & Kat winning although :rofl: at the blatant stereotypical girlie task to make it clear that we were going to have an all-female team victory. PML.

Poor Thomas not being to use his "Spanish skills". Awww. :D

Amazing Race loves Katy Perry though innit. Wasn't "Waking Up In Vegas" featured in the finale of another season?
  39. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I'd know Sancho Panza if you asked me now, but in one of the interviews either Nat or Kat made a point of saying that even though they're avid viewers of TAR, they had no idea how draining the lack of sleep and food can be on the players. She mentioned they were hungry a lot, and were surprised at how physically challenging it was.

Not sure what I'd know if someone asked me a question at the end of the race.
  40. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Although I didn't enter the pick 'em, I had Nat/Kat from the first leg. If anything, medical training teaches you how to function at at least 80% for up to 36 hours with little sleep or food. The fact that they made it out of the medical machine must have given them good thoughts for being able to make it through TAR.