Amazing Race Canada has started filiming

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Castlerock, May 3, 2013.

1. minuet

minuet Well-Known Member

I loved the Vancouver episode! We had the language challenge without leaving the country, tasks were well spread out being both in Vancouver and Richmond, Olympic task at the oval. It was all in there! It was also a special episode for me having worked in the IBC during the Olympics which is now the convention centre. Seeing the inside of the building for the first time in 3 years I teared up a little at the memories (the escalator, the wooden walls, the swirly benches).

2. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Ok, I'm going to have to watch that one online now. I worked a the Oval during the Olympics and I haven't been back since.

3. KatieC

KatieC Well-Known Member

I loved the speed skating! I kept wondering how I'd do with those skates, I think I'd feel safer with speed skates over hockey skates. But I never would have spotted that flag at the end through binoculars.

4. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Just finished watching this week's episode. Can I just say that I'm rooting for an "older couple" aka Hal & Linda? I remember when those commercial breaks occurred and we got to see "Body Break". I think I will be rooting for this team FTW. I know they are a bit older, but they seem to have the smarts to determine which type of tasks they are better suited at completing. They also seem to take the time to think things through a bit. After seeing them for a couple of weeks, I could see them as the winners. Guess I will have to stay tuned and watch :D

5. luna_skater

luna_skater Well-Known Member

You mean Hal and Joanne? :slinkaway

6. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

The show is a lot of fun, I liked seeing my old neighbourhood (Chinatown in Vancouver). It was funny to see teams struggle with going back to the Chinese Cultural Centre from the Chinese Gardens...which are only 1.5 blocks apart! :lol: Then the hippies get their second direction-less taxi driver, who takes them to the wrong end of Gastown. It would have been quicker for them to walk from the Cultural Centre to the crane they had to walk up...it was only eight blocks away!

Wondering if anyone feels the same about the host as I do, specifically his high-pitched, squeaky voice. He explores his range like a newbie TV personality does...but he explores his HIGHER register instead of his LOWER register. I would say he sounds like fingernails on chalkboard, but that's kind of an insult to fingernails and chalkboards... ;)

7. luna_skater

YES. Omg he needs to drop an octave or ten.

8. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

Yes, but I lurve him. :drama:

Anyone who celebrates an Olympic gold medal by walking down the street with a beer is okay with me.

9. KatieC

KatieC Well-Known Member

I like him too, but agree the voice could drop a bit. I'd also like to lose the twitchy chicks. The docs certainly came down a few pegs. Hal and Joanne remind me of slow and steady wins the race.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  10. professordeb

How on earth did I get her name wrong? I tell ya, my brain just isn't working well enough for me. I think it needs a tune up. Better still, maybe a complete overhaul. Oh let's go whole hog and just get it replaced! ;) :D

11. luna_skater

The two things that continue to amaze me every week are:

(1) Teams that do not read the clues in detail.
    (2) Teams that are incapable of reading a map.

I realize there's probably a lot of adrenaline pumping and teams are just trying to move as quickly as possible, but the amount of time that teams are losing not doing the above is blowing my mind. When Jet and Dave kept re-filling the coal cart last night thinking that was the problem, I wanted to scream! And the girls asking for directions and then STILL not having any idea where they were going? AAARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!!

12. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

I keep thinking that if Craig & John had been picked they'd be kicking butt right now.

13. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Yeah I'm surprised they weren't in a way. The same production company does Battle of the Blades and countless skating specials in the past going right back to You Must Remember This - in other words they know skating, so I thought Craig and John would be a slam dunk for this.

14. KatieC

KatieC Well-Known Member

Sad about Kristen and Darren. Impressed with the doctors building a raft though! Can't wait to see them join the Mounties. :)

15. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

How to waste an express pass :(

16. professordeb

Yeah, haven't we seen something similar just recently?

17. victorskid

Wow - some surprises tonight!

18. KatieC

KatieC Well-Known Member

I still like Hal and Joanne.

19. professordeb

WOW, not real happy with the ending but then I'm liking almost all the pairs -- except the sisters. For some reason they just get on my last nerve and I don't know why. They aren't THAT annoying and yet, they bother me.

Kudos to the doctors for managing to beat Hal and Joanne when both teams had to do both road blocks -- particularly he-doctor (his name escapes me and I feel too lazy to look it up).

Quebec next week and again, knowing French seems to be an asset in that province. Le sigh ... (Quebec = French, TROC (the rest of Canada) = bilingual; go figure).

20. halffull

halffull Life is moving too quickly ...

Tuned in tonight for the first time. The lady doctor is so annoying. So are the sisters. Sorry to see Joanne and Hal leave compared to those first two mentioned teams.

21. victorskid

Since some folks thought that Hal and Joanne should not have been cast in the first place, I'm a bit relieved that they've been eliminated and will no longer be a "factor". I thought it was a good move by the Tims to U-turn them.

I was shocked that Holly & Brett (the doctors) were able to do the football tasks so quickly, especially since they've freely admitted to not being at all athletic and she claimed to be so physically exhausted.

I too am bothered by the sisters, despite the fact that they're from Ottawa (where I live) I can't really bring myself to cheer for them.

After a so-so start, Jet and Dave make me smile (and sometimes shake my head).

I'm enjoying the Canadian race so far and would be happy with almost anyone (except the sisters) winning.

22. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Is it just me, or did Jet and Dave come across as major league douchebags last night? They made some of the American teams we've seen look downright humble and insightful. :blah: Oh, and I just checked the Amazing Race website...and Jet's last name is...Black... :rolleyes: (And what's up with Dave's hair?? It's almost as painful to look at than it is to listen to three seconds of the host's high pitch squeals! :eek: I think it's even worse than some of the birdnests we've seen on top of Daisuke's head! :lol:)

Yes, they were a great team. It was very smart for the Tim's to take them out. Jet and Dave knew that Hal and Joanne were stiff competition, but chose to do nothing...leaving the dirty work to the Tim's. If I was playing with somebody, I would say, "we ALWAYS have to use the U-Turn". It doesn't matter if you are doing well in the leg. You have to look at who is most likely to beat you at the very end for the big prize. And if you can U-Turn them now and get out the big competition early, that's smart game play.

Vanessa & Celina have gotten the villain edit. It's just that they're not giving the editors much to work with! Although with last night's episode, they did show one of them laughing at another team's joke that was kind of sweet. So maybe they're realizing that they're looking bad and are lightening up.

What have you heard? I can't think of any reason why they shouldn't have been cast. :confused:

23. luna_skater

I put Jet and Dave in the "harmless douchebags" category. I'd much rather watch/listen to them than some of the colossal assholes we've seen on the US version. ("VICTORIAAAAAAAAA!!!!") When they introduced them in the first episode, I was prepared to hate them, but instead I've found them entertaining and even endearing at times. That said, I thought Jet was behaving like a serious moron during the RCMP challenge. The military guy was so much more respectful (and better at the task!).

24. KatieC

KatieC Well-Known Member

Is Jet the one that's a police officer? He acted like he was going to ace the RCMP challenge and my thought was boy, are you wrong. My Dad was RCMP and I've known a couple, no way is a city officer going to match up with RCMP training.

A bit disgusted with the Tim's for getting rid of Hal and Joanne. I liked them up til that point.

25. KatieC

KatieC Well-Known Member

So anyone watching tonight? Love the struggles with French. Don't think I'd get spinach either.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  26. Bailey_

Bailey_ Guest

I have to say, the team that bothers me the most are the doctors. Very arrogant. I find it interesting that obviously intelligent people can be so socially and emotionally immature. Holly particularly, has very little frustration tolerance and when she becomes frustrated, she acts so immaturely. I wish they would go home.

My favorite team was Hal and Joanne. I also like the Tim's, but was very disappointed when the put Hal and Joanne out of the race. Not cool, IMHO.

I also find Jet and Dave to be quite amusing... there is not a lot of humor in this show, so I do enjoy some of their comments.

And, I really like Jon Montgomery as host! Manitoba boy!!

27. liv

liv Well-Known Member

I was prepared not to like Dave and Jet but I do find them funny. I was watching hte interview after one of the other teams was eliminated (can't remember who) and they said Jet and Dave were actually really quick and funny. Dislike Brett and Holly. They keep talking about how being doctors they are used to working well under pressure, but I have to say it does not look like they do any better than anyone else.... and they whine so much!!!!!

Liked it this week. I enjoy the show. I was prepared to really dislike this show since they are only staying in Canada, but I"m pleasantly surprised. It's much better than the family version that was tried a few seasons back.

28. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

:lol: Do you quit playing Monopoly when you land on someone's Boardwalk property with all the hotels and they expect you to pay them money? :D

29. Bailey_

Bailey_ Guest

Haha! You are really funny... I get that it's a game, I still think it's not cool.

Glad the doctors are gone...

30. halffull

halffull Life is moving too quickly ...

I didn't watch tonight but happy to read the docs are gone ... she drove me crazy!