Amazing Race 04/11: "Dumb Did Us In"

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Lilia A, Apr 12, 2010.

1. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I'm starting to get the meaning of the title...
  2. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

Boo.

I wanted to see the Caite/Carol & Brandy throwdown :EVILLE:

Hoping for the Little Brothers win the whole thing.
  3. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I have no doubt that Carol and Brandy would have u-turned Caite and Brent if they'd had the chance. Go Dumb!
  4. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Brothers or cowboys for the win! :cheer:
  5. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Well-Known Member

WHHHHAAATTTT??????

Nooooo............

:wuzrobbed
  6. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

Exactly!! I don't care who wins now (although I hope its the Cowboys), but I'm just glad the "mean lesbians" are gone!!! :cheer2: :cheer2:

And Carol and Brandy continue to show their ugliness even on at the Pit Stop. Not to mention their own immaturity in constantly picking on a kid (yes, 20 year olds are kids to me :p). They have been nothing but rude and condescending to Catie for no reason since the first episode. I hope they see their ugliness as they watch back this show, but somehow I think they are too conceited to see that they did anything wrong.
  7. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Hear, hear! :cheer: Really hope the promo's a fakeout...

Cool to have the cowboys advertise the country music awards. :)

I don't watch TAR to see petiness (that goes for both sides) so wasn't a fan of this episode except for the brothers rocking. Miss Steve and Allie. :(
  8. Prancer

Prancer Ray Chill Staff Member

I want to do that zip line!!!
  9. Bev Johnston

Bev Johnston New Member

Hurray for the Cowboys and the Little Brothers!!! My two fave teams! I'm so glad that Carol and Brandy are gone. They ARE mean - to each other as well as everyone else. However, I think if they had come across the U Turn first, they would've U-turned the Cowboys. They've had it in for the Cowboys for quite some time.

I hope at least the Cowboys and Little Brothers are in the final three. I'm leaning towards Brent and Caite rounding out that trio. The Duhtectives still bug me.
  10. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Compared to prior seasons, the fast forward seems relatively easy and saved them a lot of work. Granted it was very high and open, but there have been a number of "high" tasks so anyone really afraid of heights probably wouldn't be there.

I don't blame any contestant for using the U-turn, but I really don't like it as part of the show. One of the things I like about TAR is that even though personalities play a role, it's basically an objective race and it's about doing the tasks. I don't like it when one team has more tasks to do because of nothing they did (unlike the task you get for coming in last on an NEL)

I don't know that the Duhtectives really didn't like Carol and Brandy, but I think it was a combination of them genuinely thinking Carol and Brandy were a threat because they travel a lot, and creating another target so that they wouldn't be the team u-turned. I do get the feeling the Duhtectives didn't particularly like Carol and Brandy because they don't come across as very friendly, but I don't think they have any specific grudge with them.

Why do the people who are watching their teammates count the links think it would be helpful to interrupt their concentration and shout out random words of encouragement.
  11. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

I really do not like the U-turn. I just checked the history on it:

It has been in use since season 12. In the last 5 seasons it has been used 6 times. One of those times, the team who used it (Kynt & Vyxsin) U-turned a team that was in front of them. ALL the other 5 times, the team who was U-turned has been eliminated. Lorena & Jason. Amanda & Kris. Kisha & Jen. Joe & Heidi. And now Carol & Brandy.

IMO the U-turn is too much of a time deficit for a team to make up the time in a single leg, especially in legs like the one tonight where teams have to drive to the next route marker and where the detour options were in different locations. If the show insists on having something that is going to ruffle the feathers between the teams, I would suggest the return of the yield. It slowed teams down, and yes some of the yielded teams got eliminated, but there were plenty of instances where the teams survived the leg (Lyn & Karlyn, Freddy & Kendra, Eric & Dumbbell TWICE, all come to mind).

Or perhaps they could give the teams an extra task to do a la the speed bump. Something that's not very difficult, but will hold up the team for a little bit, but not so long that the leg becomes a no contest. (I'm beyond convinced that tonight's leg wasn't even close)

ETA:

The history of the yield:

Was in place for seasons 5 through 11. Was used 11 times:
    Season 5 - Colin & Christie yielded, finished 4th of 4 teams; non-elimination leg
    Season 6 - Freddy & Kendra yielded, finished 4th of 6 teams
    Season 6 - Adam & Rebecca yielded, finished 4th of 4 teams; non-elimination leg
    Season 7 - Ron & Kelly yielded, finished 2nd of 4 teams
    Season 8 - Weaver family yielded, finished 5th of 6 teams
    Season 8 - Weaver family yielded again, finished 4th of 4 teams; non-elimination leg
    Season 9 - Danielle & Dani yielded, finished 8th of 8 teams; eliminated
    Season 9 - Monica & Joseph yielded, finished 3rd of 4 teams
    Season 10 - Lyn & Karlyn yielded, finished 2nd of 4 teams
    Season 11 - Eric & Danielle yielded, finished 3rd of 5 teams
    Season 11 - Eric & Danielle yielded, finished 3rd of 4 teams

My opinion: Yield > U-turn
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  12. Prancer

But they've often found themselves in direct competition with the Cowboys, and they've always lost to them--and the Cowboys have the most first places of any team left, don't they?

"Beating the cowboys" makes perfect sense in that respect.

But I do think there is an underlying "How can those dumb hicks possibly beat US?" in their attitude.

They said on the last show that Carol and Brandy are very negative, and I can see that. They show the stress more than a lot of the teams and Brandy in particular complains a lot. So does Caite, but Caite is like a little kid--she whines when things don't go her way, but she jumps and down and squeals when things do go her way and she seems to have fun every now and then, while Brandy just seems to hate everything.
  13. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

So the U-Turn was used against someone who was disliked...as opposed to being used against someone who was your competiton and in the end will take your one million dollar prize away from you??

:rolleyes:
    FiveRinger and (deleted member) like this.
  14. BaileyCatts

I actually don't agree there. Carol and Brandy were a strong team and were strong competition. They had the advantange of being world travelers and speaking several languages, and that helps a lot. And despite their bickering, they were good at accomplishing tasks and finishing near the top several times. Or perhaps I'm just glad they are gone. :p
  15. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

I know, the Duhtectives and Jet & Cord both have three leg victories and Caite & Brent use their UTurn opportunity to get rid of the "mean team" instead of one of the strong, all male teams that have been dominating the race.

Kudos to Jordan for doing that fast forward. They would have had to pry my fingers off the railing!

and that was cute for CBS to use Jet & Cord to preview the Country Music awards for next week.
  16. rfisher

The Duhtectives actually manipulated their *young cubs*. While there was snarkiness between the kidlets and the mean lesbians, the Duhtectives really encouraged them that if there was a u-turn who to use it against and I think they did that because they did feel C/B were a strong team. I also think they'd turn against the kids if the opportunity presented itself. :lol: We used to play a board game called Diplomacy. A friend was a killer player because he'd make all sorts of alliances and promise to always be your ally then he'd turn on you like a starving piranha when it benefited him. He won nearly every game (until we decided to band together against him. :EVILLE:
  17. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

My thought exactly! Actually, if I were going to U-Turn any team, it would be the Cowboys even over the Duhtectives because they are the most physically fit team and have proven themselves to be extremely intelligent. They are dangerous. That might have been the most pivotal moment in the race, Brent and Caite let emotions rule over logic. I think it's going to bite them.
  18. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I don't think they are logical enough to ever realize this... :scream:
  19. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I didn't like Carole and Brandy the first ep I saw (only a few weeks ago) but since then I have come to appreciate them, despite the negative/diva-ness of the brunette. I really hate Caite and Brent though (Prancer has the perfect description of her - and adult women who insist on behaving like 5 years olds make me :rolleyes: x infinity).

No surprise that C/B U-Turned the other C/B...and totally anti-climactic that the lesbians were eliminated. I'm with Fridge Break - the U-Turn sucks and I'd rather see the Yield brought back.

Am rooting for Dan/Jordan :cheer2:
  20. BaileyCatts

:shuffle: I'm a terrible fan for saying this ... but remind me again what the difference is between the Yield and the U-Turn? Don't they both involve doing an additional task? Or does it have something to do with turning over an hourglass and just sitting there waiting for the sand to run out? I remember something about an hourglass. :shuffle:
  21. Lilia A

Lilia A Well-Known Member

Yes, for the yield the team must turn the hourglass and wait until all the sand has run out. For the U-turn, the team must complete the other side of the detour.
  22. icedance21

icedance21 New Member

Carol & Brandy are so unpleasant :scream:, and were particularly unpleasant after being U-turned (although, to be fair, I can't blame them for being upset). Resorting to name calling is ironically representative of the "first grader" mentality that they claim Caite & Brent have. :scream:

I hope the brothers or Jet/Cord win. I'm :drama: that there's no "Amazing Race" on next week.
  23. Moto Guzzi

Moto Guzzi Well-Known Member

Good riddance to Carol and Brandy. I don't like Caite and Brent, but it was getting tiresome listening to Carol and Brandy whine about them for so long.

I hope the cowboys win. I was impressed with the brothers for being able to complete that fast forward. It was hard for me just to watch it; there is no way I could ever do something like that. These are my two favorite teams.
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  24. Prancer

I have to agree with this, more or less:

Caite is immature, but she's 20. Carol and Brandy are, ahem, a little bit older, but they carried on like a couple of pissed-off high school girls. I'd be mad, too, but it's pretty hard to claim the high road for them based on comparative behaviors.
  25. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

If I heard correctly, the DuhTectives had been setting the U-Turn up by convincing B&C that Team Les was a bigger threat for the Final 3 than the DuhTectives were. They said something about having their plan work out perfectly. If so, there's not much duh in them at all.
  26. rfisher

ITA. They are very savvy and demonstrate more strategy than any other team. Brent and Caite are lucky, but the Duhtectives are smart.
  27. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

Whew, that was a packed hour of TAR! So much going on that there was very little time for :drama: and :argue: ... yet somehow the Mean Girls managed to fit it in aplenty.

Good riddance, indeed. Such immaturity* from two obviously intelligent and sharp witted women ... they could've been vintage TAR hero/villians in the vein of BJ & Tyler, the Guidos, or Schmirna. Instead, they fluctuated episode-to-episode from bitchy to whiney to kinda fun then back again ... before finally flaming out. Even that didn't stop their Heathersesque tamtruming against their young prey. To that, Carol & Brandy, I say "Corn nuts!"

ITA that the Dutectives seem to have played B&C very wisely, apparently stirring the "boo to the Mean Girls" pot to minimize their own chances of being U-turned. Smart, but they're def. the pair I'd least like to see win. Short Dutective is okay, but Big Dutective is marginally creepy/just too much (way too many "I LOVE YOU" and "BABY" to Short Detective, among other things).

I'd hope for a Cowboy, Little Brothers, and Caite & Brett Gump Final 3 (with either brother/brother team winning) ... but edgic says the Little Brothers are out next. (Twice, we've been shown the Dutectives thump their chests and say that a Cowboys, The Gumps, and Dutectives Final 3 would be great.)

Bah to no show next Sunday, and :eek: to another Taylor Swift live performance.

*Though I did chortle at some of those insults, e.g. Brett & Caite Gump, the YouTube barb, and the titular quote during their post-mortem ... ahhhh, got it, so "Dumb" is another team versus the quoting team's own mistake(s)!
  28. merrywidow

merrywidow Well-Known Member

Glad that Carol & Brandy are gone. Brandy is one mean & small minded woman. Carol really didn't bother me that much. I've been pulling for the Cowboys from the first episode & am so happy they are still in this race. I read in "Rodeo News" that Cord just won a pro bull riding event in Tx. a week or so ago.
  29. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

Caite was so ticked off about fellow competitors considering her dumb that she decided to go and prove them right. :lol: Instead of taking out one of the two strongest teams, they take out the ones they find insulting. Morons! For her sake, I hope Caite learns soon that it's a waste of time to seek vengeance against everyone who considers her an idiot. Otherwise, she'll be wasting a lot of energy and time. :lol:

The detectives played it smart. I'm still pulling for the cowboys. If the dumb team pulls out the win, I'll be very annoyed. I like a team to earn their win.
  30. sk8pics

sk8pics Well-Known Member

I totally agree.

And yes, Caite let Carol and Brandy get to her, but any team that's made it this far is a threat, IMO. Maybe now that the distraction of Carol/Brandy are gone Caite will concentrate more on the race. One can hope, anyway...:lol:
  31. rfisher

Well, she did do the drumming thing very well and they did end up in 2nd place.
  32. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

I just think that Caite is a bit immature. I didn't agree with her reasoning for U-turning Brandy and Carol. There were at least two teams that were stronger. I also thought that Brent and she did the Duhtectives' dirty work. If they wanted a team eliminated, they should have done it themselves. Maybe the Duhtectives should have been on Survivor. That was skillful manipulation. The Cowboys are gonna win this.
  33. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

Caite repeatedly calling Carol and Brandy "the mean lesbians" was seriously starting to grate towards the end of the episode. Not that Carol and Brandy calling Caite "dumb" was any better, but still....

Am kind of hoping that Caite & Brent Gump beat the Duhtectives out of the final three. :EVILLE:

Here's hoping the Cowboys (or failing that the Little Brothers) win. :cheer2: