`Am not too fond of the USA' - Vaitsekhovskaya's interview with Leonova

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by TAHbKA, Feb 24, 2013.

1. ItalianFan

ItalianFan Member

This is the most laughable thing I have read in ages.
  2. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

So do I, even though I live in a suburb of fewer than 50,000 people, I don't have sidewalks in my plat, and I drive a car.

I can't speak for Leonova, however, as I have no idea if she looks, where she looks, or what she is looking for--or even if her issue is finding "fresh" food (what, they don't have apples and such in New Jersey?) or whether she just prefers the Russian food she eats at home. I had kind of thought it was the latter, but what do I know? Maybe she's just fine with, say, eggs, as long as the hens are free range and vegetarian fed, and the fact that they are cooked in a way she isn't used to is irrelevant, and she wouldn't mind a hamburger at all if it was made from grass-fed beef.
  3. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

If she wants a gold medal winning hamburger then White Manna is her answer.
  4. ItalianFan

ItalianFan Member

There's nothing inheritantly unhealthy about horse meat. You may object to the idea but it's just as normal as beef to many Europeans. The debate is about the fact that the lable did not inform the consumer that the food contained horse. that's the question, there are no health aspects in this. Sorry, actually there are if the horsemeat comes from a slaughtered race horse, These animals may not be used for food since they may have been given medicine which leaves traces in the meat.
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  5. Prancer

Who does have the world's greatest abundance of wonderful, fresh foods?
  6. mathgirl

mathgirl New Member

Food choices, at least in Canada, really depend on your location. When I went to Canadians in Mississauga, food options were limited. The arena had mostly unhealthy and high-priced food and there was nothing available within walking distance. My friend and I had a car, but because of the crazy competition schedule, we didn't have time to drive out, and instead, we brought a hamper of food from home and ate in the cold parking lot. I could see why visitors, whether fans or competitors, would think the food in Canada was terrible if they didn't have a car to get around.

On the other hand, if you check out the Restaurant thread for this year's Worlds in London, you'll see lots of suggestions, the main one being the Covent Garden Market, just steps from the arena. There, you can find a large variety of prepared healthy dishes (as well as unhealthy ones), along with fresh fruits and vegetables, local cheeses, organic meats, etc. When I went to Canadians a few years ago, I ate there the entire time.

It is true that fast-food is popular among many Canadians, but it sounds like Leonova had an unfortunate experience in Vancouver. Actually, I had absolutely fantastic seafood and Asian food when I visited Vancouver many years ago, and some of it was quite inexpensive.
  7. Oreo

Oreo Active Member

Enough speculation! You know, I think we should compile a list of questions to ask Leonova directly and get to the bottom of this. It can't be that hard to e-mail her through her blog. We can ask her if she was forced to eat rink food while in America; how often--if at all--was she allowed access to fresh food; is her English good enough to read food labels; did she have to walk long distances on roads without sidewalks to obtain food she could eat--that sort of thing.
    hanca and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Prancer

Again, Leonova was talking about the food in the athletes' cafeteria, not Vancouver in general.

:lol:

I thought what she said was perfectly clear--she's homesick and likes the food better at home. Why this would be controverisal in any way or have anything to do with finding organic food within walking distance in places that have sidewalks, I don't know. But I miss a lot.
  9. ItalianFan

ItalianFan Member

10. Prancer

Hmmm. Well, I think the traditional Meditteranean diet is certainly healthy, but.....

While the rest of the world is encouraged to copy the traditional Italian menu by swapping junk food for fruit and vegetables, it seems Italians are forgetting the lessons they taught everyone else.

Dr Antonello del Vecchio, a practising doctor and spokesman for Slow Food, the international movement born 20 years ago, said: "Italians are eating less and less of the Italian diet and more and more fast food," he said. "For a long while, unlike northern Europe, we resisted, but now it's here and we're seeing the results."

More than a third – 36 per cent – of Italian children are either overweight or obese by the age of eight, according to a survey released this week by the Institute for Auxology of Milan, making Italy the worst in Europe in terms of obesity among young children.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...s-as-italy-forgets-eating-habits-2347203.html

Maybe the effort is only huge, consistent, and unrelenting locally?
  11. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I apparently miss a lot as well. What I read indicated an unhappy kid. Unhappy with pretty much everything going on around her at the moment and I can understand why. I hope she can get it together well enough to do well at Worlds because life would really suck for her if she doesn't. Not, better than Kostner, Sot or Tuk, but better than some others who'll be there. :D
  12. ItalianFan

ItalianFan Member

Although I also spend time in New England I have never seen the variety of fruits and vegetables that I have seen in any of the numerous outdoor markets in Italy. Mostly in the US people shop in supermarkets which have the usual "standard" variety of produce. In the summer you can go to farmer markets where they have fresh produce but, as I said, I never saw the variety I have seen routinely in any outdoor market in Italy.
  13. Prancer

So you don't know who has the world's greatest abundance of wonderful, fresh foods and are going only by what you have seen in two countries?

And you know how most people in America shop because.... you've spent time in New England?
  14. ItalianFan

ItalianFan Member

Undeniably the italians too are falling into the habit of eating "on the run" and the adolescents go for junkfood as a fad. The fact remains that food for Italians is not just "refueling" the machine as it is for most of the Americans I know but a social moment and the tradition of cooking has not yet gone the way of dinosaurs: that is, it is not extinct!
  15. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

San Francisco not looking so bad now is it? :smokin:

PML that my TV is not showing a programme call "Kill it, cook it, eat it". :lol:
  16. ItalianFan

ItalianFan Member

I never said that Italy had the most abundant variety, I just said that it was generally NOT the US. And although I am most familiar with Italy and the US (not just New England although I lived there) I have also travelled in other 16 countries where one of the things I am most interested in seeing is the local marketplace....
  17. Prancer

Well, yes, but since you were so sure it wasn't the US and found the idea so laughable, I thought you must have some objective data to share.

I am actually interested in knowing the answer, not just jerking your chain, but I can always research it for myself if you don't know.
  18. Southpaw

I can tell you with utmost confidence that Hackensack, NJ is not the fresh food capital of the universe.
  19. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

Yes, you did. Irina's comments were about skating with COI and how the audience sat in the front row eating cheeseburgers instead of watching the performance with rapt attention as if they were at the ballet or opera (though I think that last part was just implied). It had nothing to do with Sarah Hughes.

Poutine! Barbeque!

As I said, they eat a lot of rink food. I know this because I used to skate and I had my lessons at lunch time and I saw them eating. They brought some stuff from home and they also ate the junk at the rink. It wasn't the best diet but they could get away with it because they were young and exercising all the time.

Except, as far as I can tell, that's really what they think. Should they show up at their interviews with shaved heads and tattoos with a cig dangling from their lips and say how much they hate whatever city they are in just so they can not be PC? If they did, they'd be posers because that's not them.
  20. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Not this week--the weather has been amazing. Ask me again in the summer.
  21. escaflowne9282

escaflowne9282 Well-Known Member

Actually, there was a translated "interview" (meaning it may or may not have actually taken place) from around 2004(?), where "Irina" apparently said that she had heard Sarah Hughes had been gaining weight with her hamburgers and cheeseburgers. Maybe this is what she was thinking of? The problem is it was from a magazine that was known to simply invent things.
  22. dots

dots Well-Known Member

This is probably true. Imagine if an American skater said "I'm not too fond of Russia" ... uh uh :scream:

See you at Skate America next year Elena! :rofl:
  23. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

Not a nice thing to say, but probably true.
  24. Prancer

Is Sarah a big fan of burgers?
  25. Southpaw

White Manna is likely behind that OGM of Sarah's.
  26. Prancer

Linda Fratianne once attributed her silver medal (for good and bad) to eating cheesecake every day at the Olympics, so why not?

If I am ever in NJ, I will make it a point to check out White Manna.
  27. Southpaw

Don't listen to those people who think Jersey City White Mana is better.
  28. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

MacDonald´s is an Olympic sponsor, it will always be in the athletes cafeteria but the athletes don't have to eat it. I find it hard to believe there are not other healthier options for those competing. But yes, there will be lots of fast food, soft drinks and whatever other contradictory (to health and athletics) products in exchange for the money the Olympics gets from these companies.

I also find it hard to believe it's that difficult to find healthier alternatives to rink food (and rink food in North America is atrocious). It seems the problem is poor organization by Morozov. I've been involved with groups going to summer camps abroad and we always researched and organized food ahead of time to avoid the situation where you find yourself unprepared with hungry athletes and make the fast option for fast food. It isn't that hard, you just need to be organized and plan ahead of time.
  29. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

I am a huge fan of burgers but they have to be done right (and have a ton of jalapenos on top!). There is a burger lounge here that makes amazing burgers. :swoon: However, I only eat them 5-6 times a year. It's really a treat, not an everyday food. Same goes for steak, love it, barely ever eat it. Keeps it more special that way.

My mom's side of the family has a super strong history of heart disease and even though I am still young enough, I've been trying not to overdo red meat.

As to Sarah's weight gain, I blame fries, that's the real :EVILLE:
  30. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Alena probably does not have an access to a car, no choice of where to live and no time to adjust as her locations change. Her English is likely very limited. She just does not have means of figuring out the healthiest way to live in the US. The fact that she generalizes, to me, stems from the fact that she is blunt and maybe not too sophisticated, and that it is somewhat in vogue in Russia right now not to like the US. I have to say I resented her Kostner comment more :D.
    I just spent a month in Naples- I flew in and started working non- stop the same day. My Italian is limited ( I can get around, but am not fluent). It was very hard- I would go to one little store for the first two weeks, and it took me a long time to find a supermarket that would sell toilet paper. I worked every day till late and nobody was holding my hand through things, and it took much longer to adjust than I would normally, when I have free time to explore. If Alena is stuck without a way to get around, it is not easy.
    Agree that Morozov should hire somebody to take care of his athletes' nutrition; it is a part of elite coaching ( remember Tarasova making fresh - squeezed juice blends for Yagudin?)
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  31. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Oh? What did she say about Kostner? That her skating skills suck compared to Alena's? :saint:
    That's what I was talking about here:

The fact that the worst things about the US culture are relentlessly copied in Russia makes this fad of hating on Amerika that much more obnoxious.
  32. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

IceAlisa, I agree. It is more complicated , I think, that "they don't help us", but it's a supported government policy, and it's certainly "cooler" to dislike the US.
    As for Carolina-
    Очень понравилась новая произвольная Каролины Костнер. Даже странно: ее программы никогда не производили на меня впечатления. Казались странными и ни о чем. А тут я была в полном восторге.
    (I loved new Free Program from Kostner. I never was impressed with her programs- they seemed to me strange and about nothing. But here I completely loved it).
    Nothing criminal- tells me more about Alena though. And I still like her mostly. Sort of. Go back to being a Witch, Alena, or something of the sort, it was interesting.
  33. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

Irina despised Sarah Hughes because Sarah had deprived Irina of "my Olympic gold medal".
  34. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Thanks for the Russian quote, dinakt. As has been said before--she is unsophisticated and provincial.

It's called "abstract", Alena, meaning "art that does not attempt to represent external, recognizable reality but seeks to achieve its effect using shapes, forms, colors, etc." So yes, you are right about that, her programs are about nothing. Yours, OTOH, are too much about one subject, beaten into a pulp.
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  35. MacMadame

I don't know. Johnny Weir gets lots of flack for saying nice things about Russia.
  36. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Isn't the norm for Leonova only eating breakfast anyways? :p Surprised people are so interested by her comments about the food. Maybe the breakfast food in Russia is better...
  37. MacMadame

She hardly said anything about the food. It was more about the training arrangements and how much time and attention she got from her coach.
  38. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Yes, she does say that she is "uncomfortable with the food." It's not clear whether she's uncomfortable with the food she actually gets or just lives in constant dread of being subjected to the sight of clumsily made sushi, as she was in Canada.
  39. quiqie

quiqie Well-Known Member

All the McDonaldses in Russia have free wi-fi, so of course they would be.
  40. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

Imagine the :drama: when it ends up just being normal beef :rofl: