`Am not too fond of the USA' - Vaitsekhovskaya's interview with Leonova

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by TAHbKA, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Oh god, never come to Israel. We have salad with everything, all the time.

Is it possible that you have never tried the right salad? Do you just dislike them in general? Because I agree that in some places the vegetables really are :scream:

Well, I did mention the Orange Team interviews, when some skaters were asked to trash competitions they'd been to. Does that count? I remember JW in Sofia came up in one of those.

Also, Scott Moir thinks the WTT is stupid, does that count as not liking Japan? :p

2. dawnie

dawnie Active Member

I thought the infamous cheeseburger quote was about Sarah Hughes?

3. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

4. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Word. She couldn't sound more provincial if she tried even though she is a Moscow resident IIRC.

5. bek

bek Guest

The only thing I have to say is I doubt Russian fans/ press would appreciate it if an American skater who was training in Russia went on and on about how much they hated Russia.

I have no problem with Leonova stating that she misses home and prefers Russia because that's her home and her country but...

6. quiqie

quiqie Well-Known Member

Nothing to tell, really - that was a narrative of what Nathalie says in every interview when she is asked about their life in Russia :D they are still my favorite ice dancing team, though

7. Zemgirl

I thought it's always about how life in the US is easier but in terms of culture she preferred Russia?

There are more foreign skaters training in the US than US athletes training elsewhere, so that might account for some of the disparity in the comments.

Lucinda Ruh had some comments about various training locations in Frozen Teardrop.

8. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

A lot of Russians are rather preoccupied with disliking the US. This was striking to my parents when they visited Moscow about 6 months ago. Being able to communicate in Russian, they'd asked why the resentment and the stunning answer was: "They don't help us." Not sure what that meant and why/how the US is supposed to help Russia but there it is. Not representative of the majority opinion by any means. However, the general sense of resentment is there.

9. Proustable

Proustable New Member

I quite liked her 06/07 SP (Canon in D) and 07/08 SP (Riders of the Storm).

Liked the interview. Given that all that Leonova said was that she was uncomfortable with everything, I don't see the big deal.

10. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

:rofl: But you see where that moment of "honesty" got him as a North American/Canadian! His comment about hating that competition was said in a moment of frustration in the K&C, and I don't think anyone thought it meant he disliked Japan, but some people still won't let that comment go. :p

(Let me be clear that by "some people" I don't mean the Japanese fans - not at all! He and Tessa have often skated in Japan over the years, they have always spoken highly of their experiences there - in fact they have said it's one of their favourite places to skate, and the Japanese crowds have always been wonderful and supportive. :))

11. quiqie

quiqie Well-Known Member

Once you boil it down to a PC version, yes, it is.

12. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

Salad for breakfast sounds :swoon:

13. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

She sounded homesick. Poor baby. It must be hard to have to live somewhere for your job that you wouldn't pick to live voluntarily.

14. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

There are lots of young people who pursue sports at the elite level precisely so that they can travel the world, meet people from different backgrounds, and experience different cultures. Sometimes that means being in London for the Olympics, sometimes it means training in New Jersey, and sometimes that means going to a competition somewhere like Kosice, Slovakia or Kent, Washington. You can either relish the opportunities (and even go out on your own without being glued to your teammates), or you can waste them. But the chance to see the world may not come so easily ever again. The least she could do is try to appreciate her opportunities and the places she visits.

15. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

Read it more carefully:
    She didn't say that about Aranjuez, but about another music that they tried before reverting back to the last year's program.

16. RickInSanJose

RickInSanJose Active Member

Perhaps this is a translation issue as much as anything. In my own experience, I've found that there can be hazards in attempting to translate English into Russian. Many years ago, I was taking a beginning Russian class, and I got the bright idea of writing a fan letter to Soviet gymnast Olga Korbut in Russian.

What I intended to say was:

"Dear Olga. Congratulations on your recent victory. I saw you on television recently, and really enjoyed your performance."

Only after sending my letter, however, did I find out that what I had actually written was this:

"Dear Olga. Congratulations on your recent spoilage. I saw you on top of my television set recently, and really enjoyed your performance."

So I would imagine that similar difficulties may exist in translating Russian into English.

17. Zemgirl

In a good way or a bad way? ;)

Not everyone enjoys traveling, and lots of young people pursue sports for other reasons - such as being good at what they do and enjoying their chosen sport. I would imagine some skaters love to skate and compete but would prefer to do so closer to home. I don't think it's fair to expect all skaters to appreciate the opportunity to travel and experience new cultures, just like not all business travelers or academics going to conferences enjoy every trip they take. Leonova's choice was to become a skater, not a frequent flyer. Obviously at that level the travel is part of the job description, but it doesn't mean that it's pleasure rather than business for her, or that she's obliged to appreciate every place she visits as part of her career.

18. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Nope, it was Irina, bless her heart.

19. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Tell Mr. Fred. Isn't he the cook?

20. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

And some ... do not.

Besides... New Jersey? Not the place I'd pick to go have exciting adventures learning new cultures. In fact, I got out of there as fast as I could and I am from the East Coast and the US and didn't feel uncomfortable at all.

21. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

Shame on you

22. Kwantumleap

Kwantumleap New Member

At least the sentiment is mutual.

23. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

As I said, even if she doesn't like traveling, she doesn't have to moan about the food at the Olympics and being stuck ninety minutes from the beach. There are lots of skaters who would gladly make do, given the opportunity.

24. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing that personal experience, RickInSanJose. Hopefully Olga Korbut realized that you were an American fan and not a native Russian speaker/ writer. :D Yes, ITA, there are lots cultural and language differences that tend to get lost in translation.

25. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

Oh please, let Leonova and anyone for that matter, speak her mind and stop treating ladies skating as a pageant contest where they have to be little princess and role models of PR. I much prefer ro read sincere interviews like this (and most of russian interviews ), where she's not really offending anyone, just stating doesn't like to be in a certain place, and gives honest reasons instead of the usual crap like "I only want to skate for myself or to do my best".

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  26. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

I'd take moaning over "i loved this experience bla bla bla" likes that we usually get.

27. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

She doesn't have to, but she can.

Including Leonova herself. She made do by finding other food at the Olympics, going shopping and to the movies instead of the beach, and arranging to fly to the USA a few days after the rest of Morozov's group for Worlds and working on the list of tasks he gave her.

28. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

This cracked me up. First, because she was obviously goaded into saying something anti USA which is exactly how all of these interviewers go, and she gave a standard compliance answer like they always do, so in fact both cultures give exactly which stock answers are expected of them and are therefore equal. Secondly, I too love "honesty" because it's how's these people are. Her "honest" answer was dull, uninsightful and uninteresting, quite like her skating.

OliviaPug and (deleted member) like this.
  29. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Yeah, the interviewer really asked her a leading question there. I was a little surprised by just how leading it was!

30. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

Well, Kostner is quite modern and abstract , while Leonova is 'hit you in the head with a hammer' Literal. When Leonova skates to pirate music, every movement her clothing, her face constantly remind you, she's a PIRATE! Why do some funky transition when you can get to the same place by doing a few crossovers with a big pirate face? it's not surprising that Kostner mostly loses her.:shuffle:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013