`Am not too fond of the USA' - Vaitsekhovskaya's interview with Leonova

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by TAHbKA, Feb 24, 2013.

1. quiqie

quiqie Well-Known Member

Once you boil it down to a PC version, yes, it is.
  2. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

Salad for breakfast sounds :swoon:
  3. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

She sounded homesick. Poor baby. It must be hard to have to live somewhere for your job that you wouldn't pick to live voluntarily.
  4. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

There are lots of young people who pursue sports at the elite level precisely so that they can travel the world, meet people from different backgrounds, and experience different cultures. Sometimes that means being in London for the Olympics, sometimes it means training in New Jersey, and sometimes that means going to a competition somewhere like Kosice, Slovakia or Kent, Washington. You can either relish the opportunities (and even go out on your own without being glued to your teammates), or you can waste them. But the chance to see the world may not come so easily ever again. The least she could do is try to appreciate her opportunities and the places she visits.
  5. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

Read it more carefully:
    She didn't say that about Aranjuez, but about another music that they tried before reverting back to the last year's program.
  6. RickInSanJose

RickInSanJose New Member

Perhaps this is a translation issue as much as anything. In my own experience, I've found that there can be hazards in attempting to translate English into Russian. Many years ago, I was taking a beginning Russian class, and I got the bright idea of writing a fan letter to Soviet gymnast Olga Korbut in Russian.

What I intended to say was:

"Dear Olga. Congratulations on your recent victory. I saw you on television recently, and really enjoyed your performance."

Only after sending my letter, however, did I find out that what I had actually written was this:

"Dear Olga. Congratulations on your recent spoilage. I saw you on top of my television set recently, and really enjoyed your performance."

So I would imagine that similar difficulties may exist in translating Russian into English.
  7. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

In a good way or a bad way? ;)

Not everyone enjoys traveling, and lots of young people pursue sports for other reasons - such as being good at what they do and enjoying their chosen sport. I would imagine some skaters love to skate and compete but would prefer to do so closer to home. I don't think it's fair to expect all skaters to appreciate the opportunity to travel and experience new cultures, just like not all business travelers or academics going to conferences enjoy every trip they take. Leonova's choice was to become a skater, not a frequent flyer. Obviously at that level the travel is part of the job description, but it doesn't mean that it's pleasure rather than business for her, or that she's obliged to appreciate every place she visits as part of her career.
  8. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Nope, it was Irina, bless her heart.
  9. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Tell Mr. Fred. Isn't he the cook?
  10. MacMadame

And some ... do not.

Besides... New Jersey? Not the place I'd pick to go have exciting adventures learning new cultures. In fact, I got out of there as fast as I could and I am from the East Coast and the US and didn't feel uncomfortable at all.
  11. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

Shame on you
  12. Kwantumleap

Kwantumleap New Member

At least the sentiment is mutual.
  13. Vagabond

As I said, even if she doesn't like traveling, she doesn't have to moan about the food at the Olympics and being stuck ninety minutes from the beach. There are lots of skaters who would gladly make do, given the opportunity.
  14. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing that personal experience, RickInSanJose. Hopefully Olga Korbut realized that you were an American fan and not a native Russian speaker/ writer. :D Yes, ITA, there are lots cultural and language differences that tend to get lost in translation.
  15. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

Oh please, let Leonova and anyone for that matter, speak her mind and stop treating ladies skating as a pageant contest where they have to be little princess and role models of PR. I much prefer ro read sincere interviews like this (and most of russian interviews ), where she's not really offending anyone, just stating doesn't like to be in a certain place, and gives honest reasons instead of the usual crap like "I only want to skate for myself or to do my best".
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  16. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

I'd take moaning over "i loved this experience bla bla bla" likes that we usually get.
  17. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

She doesn't have to, but she can.

Including Leonova herself. She made do by finding other food at the Olympics, going shopping and to the movies instead of the beach, and arranging to fly to the USA a few days after the rest of Morozov's group for Worlds and working on the list of tasks he gave her.
  18. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

This cracked me up. First, because she was obviously goaded into saying something anti USA which is exactly how all of these interviewers go, and she gave a standard compliance answer like they always do, so in fact both cultures give exactly which stock answers are expected of them and are therefore equal. Secondly, I too love "honesty" because it's how's these people are. Her "honest" answer was dull, uninsightful and uninteresting, quite like her skating.
    OliviaPug and (deleted member) like this.
  19. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Yeah, the interviewer really asked her a leading question there. I was a little surprised by just how leading it was!
  20. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

Well, Kostner is quite modern and abstract , while Leonova is 'hit you in the head with a hammer' Literal. When Leonova skates to pirate music, every movement her clothing, her face constantly remind you, she's a PIRATE! Why do some funky transition when you can get to the same place by doing a few crossovers with a big pirate face? it's not surprising that Kostner mostly loses her.:shuffle:
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  21. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Well-Known Member

It still applies. What the hell did they find MORE funereal than Barber and RFAD?! Four minutes of people just sobbing and wailing?!

(FWIW, I like Alena; rather alot actually)
  22. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

Have other people whinged about Olympics food before?
  23. MacMadame

You don't have to moan either. Hasn't stopped you.. ;)

NEVER!

I mean all the time, if we're talking about the food in the Olympic Village.
  24. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

I've interviewed Elena, and she was very accommodating. She knew that I knew zero Russian, and she found someone who could help with the interview. She was very sweet in her responses, and I found her refreshing. Personally, I would be crabby about having to train in another location. Different bed, climate, air quality, food, etc. I don't blame her. I can't imagine having to dust to Russian culture why maintains a high level of athlete preparedness. Then again, I do not travel well.
    hanca and (deleted member) like this.
  25. Vagabond

I'm just an obscure nobody who has never (yet) qualified for the Olympics. I promise that if I do make the team, I won't whinge about the food or the hotels where I had to stay while I was training. :saint:
  26. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Is Berezhnaya friends with Leonova?
  27. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

Because you are perfect.
  28. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

I am not saying what she said isn't correct or how many people feel, I am saying it's weird coming from her. What if Zhang was criticising Flatt for being slow, or Lysacek was critising Plushenko for using his arms too much...
  29. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

You don't have to eat at McDonalds like Leonova seems to think-you can have a salad. :lol: McDonalds has those too. I have heard her complain before about meals but good ones are available.

Or you can be like Megan Duhamel and bring your own just to be safe.

I think being homesick is normal but she really did know what she was getting into witj travel and such.
  30. triple_toe

triple_toe Well-Known Member

I recall a recent interview where Patrick complained about the lack of organic chicken and greens in Sochi and how awful the food was in general, saying it was too greasy and gave him the runs but that Russians were used to it, just like they were used to constantly being surrounded by cigarette smoke. He also compared the lodgings to the hotel from the Shining so it's not a purely Russian phenomenon :shuffle:
    hanca and (deleted member) like this.
  31. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Natalie Pechalat said that she loved going to the Bolshoi all the time when she lived in Moscow. I think she'd have thrived in NJ -- Hackensack being a stone's throw from NYC -- had Krylova and Camarlengo been based there, the best of both worlds.

I think it's a valid point that if a US skater had made similar remarks, she'd be accused of disliking real food that has real spices and ingredients, instead of that bland, sweet, over-processed stuff they serve in America, and that she was spoiled by perfect ice, private lessons, over-heated living spaces ,and central air conditioning, and she didn't know how to roll with the punches, the little Princess and her pea.

I thought it was great, though, when she talked about food a lot in her blog during her stay in Vancouver. Having real Russian food made her so happy.
  32. Jenifer

Jenifer Active Member

Are you sure that's a Patrick quote you're thinking of and not this gem from Rosie Dimanno?
  33. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

If I were in the middle of `English for beginners' - yest. Fortunately am not.

No, nothing went lost in the translation, yes, Russian is just more straight forward.
    BTW, the readers of Vaitsekhovskaya's blog commented on this interview being rather sad - Leonova doesn't mention anything positive, which is quite unusual to her normal `everything is great, I'm the best, let's go and kick some asses'
  34. triple_toe

triple_toe Well-Known Member

Yep:

link here
  35. Jenifer

Jenifer Active Member

Thanks for the link. Interesting that the Shining comparison is the go-to one for Canadians visiting Sochi. Seems as though Canadians are just as fond of Russian food as Russians are of Canadian food.
  36. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

Frankly, from what I read in Russian about Sochi, GPF organization etc - Chan sounds positive enough...
  37. sadya

sadya Active Member

Perhaps Leonova wants to show she still appreciates Russia and feels very Russian, no matter where she goes and what she achieves and gains.

When Kulik went to the US for his training not everyone liked it. Some even used it against him, like Mishin making comments as 'see? He went to the US and is performing less because he has every accomodation there and life is easy, he doesn't have to fight', well I can't remember the exact words, but that's more or less what he meant anyway.

Yagudin got the same treatment from Mishin and some others. While audiences and especially the judges in Russia seemed to prefer Plushenko (who also very publicly said he's staying and training in Russia instead of going to the US like Yagudin did), out of Russia mostly Yagudin was preferred because of his presentation skills, that's the impression I had anyway.

In the recent past, leaving Russia to train in the US seems to have been used by rivals and their supporters to make those training in the US seem less patriotic, less Russia loving thus less worthy of being Russian, it was a way of trying to win more support from the public and judges for the rivals staying and training in Russia. Perhaps these opinions and tactics still matter there.
  38. lala

lala Well-Known Member

I disagree. Maybe Yagudin was preferred in US and North-America, but not in any other country. This is a stereotype in FSU forum, but is not true. Yagudin was preferred in USA, because he trained there, Tarasova was his coach and he won his Olympic Champion title in US. He competed in North-America many times in professional competitons. But you are right, Yagudin has never been Russian champion, he was beaten Kulik or Plushy. But you don't forget Yagudin was beaten by Plush in 2000 ECH, when Plushy was 17 y.o and in 2001 everywhere. Plushy is almost 3 years younger like Yagudin. And if you really curious their presentation skills, look at their early programs. Plushenko's artistry comes from inside, he had innate artistry, but Yagudin has learned it. I remember when Yagudin begun to compete in the senior comps the commentators said Yag is very good in jumps but needs to improve in presentation. But Plushy's second marks were really high from the beginning.
  39. analia

analia Member

Oh, a skater says something interesting, now hate him/her. Why even read interviews if you are only expecting press releases and positive thoughts? Readers can get so self-righteous sometimes.
    I simply love reading this. The brutality of being Alena Leonova...with not a classic skater body, in a training group where she is not the favorite girl, the battle with her lack of natural talent every day. Very real. And American food does suck (and not just american food, every type of food is worse in America because all the ingredients are heavily processed), plus you need to drive to places in New Jersey, which is inconvenient for foreigners. You would have to rent cars and stuff, just very complicated. She was completely right.

Russia's hotels are terrible though. Expensive with terrible facilities. Four star hotels in Moscow have rooms that look like a highway motel.
  40. Prancer

Prancer Ray Chill Staff Member

And here I thought most posters were rather bored by the whole thing and most were also sympathetic to Alena.