`Am not too fond of the USA' - Vaitsekhovskaya's interview with Leonova

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by TAHbKA, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

You do rinse them thoroughly with clear water, don't you?

In all these US TV shows I see people taking dishes out of soapy water and just putting them to dry. However I hope this aspect of the shows is as unrealistic as the rest. ;)

2. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

she actually doesnt. i have suggested that perhaps this is part of the problem but she says no. however, if you hang around her you can pick up a free but greasy grill.

3. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

Yes, it's unrealistic just like how no one says "Good-bye" before they hang up on you.

4. Prancer

Prancer Jawwalking Staff Member

I've got plenty of Dawn if you happen to come across one and would be willing to dump it in box and send it my way.

5. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

lol, if i get back there. corinne's apartment is not the kind of place i go to on purpose. it's as clean as her grills. it's the kind of place you end up at when an evening gets away from you.

6. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

And Putin wins!

7. milanessa

Cruisin's yard is very pretty.

8. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

That's better! Although Putin did win. ;)

9. milanessa

:eek: I've never known anyone in the US to not rinse (with clear water) their hand washed dishes. It's common in England, though.

10. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

:rolleyes:

Don't worry, we rinse it here too!

11. milanessa

Not in my experience. We had a thread about it a couple of years ago, too.

12. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Well, and in my experience we do. In fact, I don't know about anyone from my friends or people I have visited who wouldn't rinse it off.

13. milanessa

That's nice. :)

14. sadya

sadya Active Member

Some of my Dutch friends don't rinse the dishes either. After getting everything out of the soapy water they just dry them and that's it. (and think it's a pakistani habit when they see me rinse them) I've seen other Dutch people rinse their dishes though.

More and more people are using dishwashers. I don't have one and don't feel the need for one, but I wouldn't be surprised if somewhere in the future nobody will know how to do the dishes.

15. smileyskate

smileyskate New Member

My, 25 pages here and I didn't see one reference to her coach being slimy and "dating" young women. However, it's understandable that she dislikes U.S. due to unpaved roads and lack of good food unless brought in by a van because grandmas don't cook, that is what husbands are for. She needs to avoid Corinne's apartment and be sure forks are washed and dishes rinsed, not just soap wiped off. There may or may not be dishwashers in her dorm like housing in New Jersey.
    :)

16. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Is Le Big Mac Eroding France’s Culinary Heritage?

17. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

That is ze economic crisis! Ze traditional dishes are more expensif!

The year I came to France, Burger King pulled out of the country because of lack of interest. Pity, because I love ze whopper! :drama:

18. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I don't love ze whopper and prefer Le Big Mac sans the middle bun (why do you need it?). However, when in France, I expect to eat French dishes. :drama: And did too. And how! :swoon:

19. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

Popcorn!

20. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Is Le Big Mac the chicken or the egg? Long before fast food became dominant, there were reports from France and Spain bemoaning how American business practices and internationalization were making the long lunch, and in the case of the Spain, the siesta obsolete. The shock was that people were eating quickly at their desks to work more like the Mericuns. It seems to me the next step is eating fast food, because it's quicker to get and can be taken out.

I also remember an essay by Adam Gopnik about a protest over a stand-alone traditional restaurant being purchased by a corporation, which was trying to make the menu and service consistent across all of the restaurants. At corporate restaurants, table turn-over is a key metric; my understanding is that, traditionally, at most restaurants in France or Spain, it used to be that once at a table, you owned the table. If that's true, limiting table time would be like reducing portion size in NA: a loss of value.

21. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Long lunch. Whazzat?

Speaking of popcorn, I only like regular and caramel. Do people like/recommend any other flavors? Borsch-flavored for Alena.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  22. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

No, I think in France people still eat really long lunches, even when they go to McDonald's!

When I first moved here, I was actually shocked at the importance of lunch. For instance, just when we were at a crucial point in a project and I was expecting us to nibble biscuits at our desks, everyone would just drop everything and we would go to the cafeteria for a three-course meal. :huh:

However, the French are absolutely right. :respec: You really feel and work much better after entrée, plat and dessert rather than biscuits! Actually, with the warm feeling of a good lunch and fun conversation, you see the whole world differently, put everything into perspective and also have more respect for yourself than a lab rat nibbling biscuits. ;)

I've also been in Italy and there the lunches were so long and people drank so much wine that our secretary used to put on sunglasses while entering the office so that noone would see that her eyes couldn't focus. That was kind of a little too much. ;)

23. dots

dots Well-Known Member

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  24. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

Where I work now, most people leave their desks for lunch. A lot of people eat lunch in the kitchen area together and the rest go out. Then a bunch of us go for a walk. It's great and really helps our productivity.

The people I work with also take time for "tea" in the afternoon. (except I'm the only one who actually drinks tea; they all drink coffee) That's not a company thing. That's mostly just the folks from India. And me. :)

25. mella

mella is lutz crazy!!!

:eek: From what I've seen working in France, the traditional long lunch is in no danger! Always difficult as working in France for me "should" mean a day trip with a really early start and a really late finish with no time to spend a long time eating in the middle (that's what the Eurostar journey is for). After my first couple of trips I had to change the routine to include an overnight stay the night before so that I could get to site earlier to compensate for the loss of time in the middle of the day!

Because my habits are so different at home (not quite as limited as biscuits at my desk but certainly something relatively small in portion size), a big lunch in the middle of the day like that just makes me sluggish in the afternoon! Having to walk around a huge site and up and down ladders/scaffold etc is especially hideous on a very full stomach. And even worse with alcohol - my French colleagues found it very strange that I had only a tiny bit of wine in the bottom of my glass just to be polite.

I wonder if Leonova likes a big lunch or a small one - does it make her feel energised or sleepy? Does she appreciate French food more than "N American"? ;)

26. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

Doesn't she only eat breakfast?

27. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I love popcorn with a chocolate or white chocolate drizzle. I love caramel! By regular do you mean butter? Or plain (I like butter, not plain)

Lots of people like cheesy popcorn- but IMO, gross.

When we make it at home, I usually sprinkle mine with sugar (I picked that up in Germany), and DH will use pretty much anything in the spice cabinent- I think garam masala or chili powder are his main go to's, but I know he's tried oregano, cumin, pretty much anything in a shaker.

28. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Would someone send me a pvt message when Alena returns to the room?:rofl:

29. mella

mella is lutz crazy!!!

Well she's not very comfortable with the accommodations so I guess she will avoid the room as much as possible.

:shuffle: sorry I will stop now. This thread has absolutely cracked me up as I lurked - I actually only remembered after hitting send on my post above that this wasn't a foodies thread!

30. Moto Guzzi

Moto Guzzi Well-Known Member

I've never had popcorn with chocolate drizzle but it sounds goods. I like cheesy popcorn but it has to be the right kind of cheese, not some nasty stuff that turns your fingers orange. When I go to see a movie, I like to put butter on my popcorn and then sprinkle it with parmesan cheese seasoning. There's only one movie theatre near me that I know of that has popcorn that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and offers different seasonings to put on top.

Why is movie popcorn so expensive? The place where I usually go sells it in three sizes ranging from $3.50 to $4.50, but other places are much higher. The worst place wanted $8 for a medium popcorn. I always smuggle in a bottle of water because I don't want to pay $4 to $5 for a bottle of water. I smuggle in water and snacks at skating events and baseball games, too. I'm willing to pay a fair price but most places jack their prices up to ridiculous levels.

It's snowing here and getting worse. I was planning to go see Zero Dark Thirty today but will stay inside instead and watch a DVD and maybe make some microwave popcorn. Or maybe I'll drink wine and have cheese and crackers or eat some of that black raspberry with chocolate chunks ice cream that's lurking in the freezer. Or take a nap. Anything to avoid going outside and shovel snow. Somebody should invent a self-propelled snow shovel that would shovel the snow for you while you lie on the couch watching a movie and eating popcorn or chocolate. It doesn't necessarily have to be a snow shovel; it could be a Roomba for snow.