`Am not too fond of the USA' - Vaitsekhovskaya's interview with Leonova

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by TAHbKA, Feb 24, 2013.

1. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

That is almost all I ever use mine to do. That and melt butter for recipes.

2. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

Are you saying that popcorn was not invented before the microwave oven? ;)

3. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

4. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

You see! The whole family had better not gather around the microwave like that! ;)

We don't make popcorn at home and I don't know anyone who does. A different corner of the world! :)

5. Southpaw

My friend from Iowa was very offended when she was an exchange student in France and her host family told her that they don't eat corn, corn is pig food. :drama:

She's still not over it. :drama: :drama:

Asli and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

That is offensive and nonsense really! Of course corn is not native to France but now it is grown here and they do eat it a lot - especially sweet corn. Children like popcorn as well. It is just not traditional to make it at home, but popcorn is sold in supermarkets and cinemas.

That sounds like something the family said on purpose to humiliate her, as in "we have such high gastronomic standards"! :mad:

7. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

8. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Darn, I got all excited about that.

California is a huge agricultural economy. We grow 80% of the world's almonds so we have some kick-a$$ almonds. And yes, avocados. And stone fruit. However, the best tomatoes I've had were grown in our vegetable garden at the dacha when I was a kid. Same for strawberries and especially wild strawberries that are hard to come by here but almost brought me to tears in the South of France where I found them.

OTOH, blood oranges and blood orange juice in the US is just as good as they were in Italy IMO. I think a lot of our impressions and memories have to do with how happy we were at the time we tried something.

Don't knock American chefs until you've eaten something out of Thomas Keller's kitchen. Of course, it would take you half a lifetime to get a rez in one of his restaurants in either coast but it's worth the wait. A dinner at the French Laundry is nothing short of epic.

As to microwave, it has never occurred to me to cook anything in it. Great for heating stuff up though.

9. Southpaw

She tells me the French word for popcorn is......

Popcorn.

10. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

11. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

:rofl: Yes, of course you don't change the name of exotic food.

12. Southpaw

You can make kettle corn in that gadget, too! Homemade kettle corn rules.

13. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

Does that mean you boil corn ears?

14. Southpaw

No, kettle corn is a style of [French accent] popcorn [/French accent] that's made with sugar so it has a touch of sweetness. Delicious!

15. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

It is almost 2 am here and now I want popcorn - which we don't have at home obviously! :drama:

16. Southpaw

Here's a kettle corn recipe for you. See? Easy peasy and yummy yummy.

17. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

Thanks! It would be easier if I had some [French accent] kernels de popcorn [/French accent] of course. ;)

18. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

double post

19. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

No, you probably wouldn't. Hardly anyone actually cooks anything in the microwave (although you can use it to make more than most think), but it's very handy for things people have already mentioned, and some other things besides.

20. PRlady

PRlady aspiring tri-national

Dearest Asli, I have a microwave and I cook dinner four-five nights a week just for myself. (The other nights I am either out or have others to feed as well.) Admittedly it makes it too easy to eat a frozen pizza for lunch. But it also means it's easier to heat up your tea when it gets cold and defrost two pounds of meat without having decided ahead of time to cook it! Also microwaved popcorn is good by any standard, and it comes in flavors here. :)

21. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

We all have our quirks. My husband, who is an American as it gets ( inasmuch as his family has been in the US for many generations) actively prefers to cook popcorn on a stove, and would use a microwave only if desperate.
    I grew up in Moscow and yet I consider that I "do not cook". That is, I can cook very well for guests following a cookbook, but I have no pleasure in experimenting or cooking for myself. I wish I had. But even with "no cooking" ingredients matter- I'd always choose local and organic, it tastes better. And it is not right that the US does not do that. In our Ohio- provinces- neck-of-the-woods there is a fantastic Farmer's Market year- round. It does take extra effort and extra money though.

22. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

I'm sure it's handy but it feels so cold and mechanical to me, not what a kitchen should feel like. I can't even use induction heat actually, I've got to see the flames, or if its an oven I must feel the heat! It's a matter of personal choice. :)

23. PRlady

One problem is that we're used to getting fruits and vegetables year-round. So I have Chilean grapes in my fridge at the moment because it wouldn't occur to me to wait til it's summer here to eat grapes. The local organic ones are better but the Chilean ones are still pretty good.

And I'm not going to fault some mom with three kids heading to three different activities on a work night for popping something in the microwave. Shouldn't be every day, of course, but sometimes the fast route is unavoidable. No-one ever died from a Stouffer's frozen dinner every now and then, it's just far from ideal.

24. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

Am I to understand that in the USA grapes are summer fruit? They are autumn fruit here. This thread is so informative! :rofl:

Of course, noone can fault busy people. When I ask Mr. Asli to prepare dinner, half of the time he buys take-aways or frozen meals from Picard. Then he says to the kids that he has prepared a recipe of his grandmother's. They ask him if this time it is his Japanese, Chinese or French grandmother.

25. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i never had a microwave until i bought a house with a built in microwave. i put the mail in it so it is out of the way until i'm ready to read it.

26. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

:lol: Cute. I cook recipes I learned from my MIL who is an old country make-everything-from-scratch kind of cook. However, I don't cook on a regular basis. Right now I came home from work, had a peeled pomegranate (thank you, Trader Joe's!), made a salad with tomatoes, cukes, bell peppers and green onions with Greek yogurt dressing (make my own) and a few bites of leftover grilled chicken breast. That's dinner. Mini Ice has a freezer full of grandma-made meatballs and chicken soup. I make him various side dishes depending on his whim plus some fresh veg.

On occasion, I host dinner and go all out except for dessert. Never been an inspired baker.

27. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

And the men too.

28. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

I grow my own lemons. Have a lemon tree on my sun porch. They are much tastier than the ones I can buy in the stores. IS THIS OFF TOPIC?:rofl:

dinakt and (deleted member) like this.
  29. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Oh yes, we grow Meyer lemons in the backyard.

30. PRlady

Grapes show up here (locally) by mid-summer. The little farmer's market in my urban neighborhood on Saturdays has peaches, plums, berries and other wonderful local fruit by June. But the Mid-Atlantic has a pretty long growing season. And that about exhausts this city girl's knowledge of when fruit grows. :rofl: