`Am not too fond of the USA' - Vaitsekhovskaya's interview with Leonova

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by TAHbKA, Feb 24, 2013.

1. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

It's a British thing (like Vegemite is for Aussies). None of the rest of the world understands why anyone would want to eat it either.
    As for organ meats (is that an American term for offal?), PRlady is in the minority. It's not just the French who like a bit of liver!

2. elka_sk8

elka_sk8 Well-Known Member

Which goes to show how much things can vary within a country, because the Croatian coast was so different in my experience (only spent a night in zagreb)! One of the most lovely markets I've ever been to was in Split. It was June and cherry season. I still dream of those enormous piles of beautiful cherries. Every morning in Croatia we'd make a breakfast of cherries, expresso and a pastry. It was heaven. :)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  3. jeffisjeff

jeffisjeff Well-Known Member

It is like the folks who complain about American beer. If you equate American beer with Budweiser, yeah it sucks. But equating American beer with Budweiser is such a limited point of view given the existence of so many excellent micro-brews from all over the US.

OliviaPug and (deleted member) like this.
  4. ItalianFan

ItalianFan Member

sKITTLE 1321--Well at times it can be difficult to find non seafood in a coastal area. Generally Italian restaurants are either seafood or meat so if your friend went into a seafood restaurant then the only choice she would probably be offered is some kind of frozen meat alternative. But there are non seafood restaurants in beach areas just as there are fish restaurants in Milan. Usually the different regional cuisines dominate each area of Italy. In the NW rice is favored, in the middle pasta, etc. Here in Friuli Venezia Giulia (extreme NE)thanks to our AustroHungarian background, we have tons of Slavic and German origin dishes which you would never find outside of this region and the neighboring Veneto and there are a LOT of potatoes on the menu. But you can also find Tuscan (probably the most well known regional cuisine) everywhere
    Although Italians are usually quite convinced that their food is the best food, with recent immigration bringing more and more non Europeans, there are now many more ethnic restaurants than ever before. Most of the ones I have seen are either Chinese, Indian, Northern African, Turkish. I have never seen a Thai or Vietnamese restaurant but I live in a small backwater!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  5. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

Organ meats = offal, although some Americans do use the term offal. With more and more processed and pre-butchered food in the US market, less people cook with offal. If you wanted it done correctly in the U.S. it probably should be through a finer dining experience, where someone has been trained to prepare liver/heart, etc. properly. :shuffle:

As for either marmite or vegemite, I've tried them both and :scream:

6. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

Liver - love it!

Calves' liver is sometimes on the menu at fine restaurants. Prepared well, it is melt-in-the-mouth tender, delicately flavoured, and delightful. Great with caramelized apples, or a cider sauce.

7. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

As a Jew I am supposed to like liver, chicken liver especially. Well, I can't stand it. A bit of fois gras, OTOH is just lovely. Russians also eat organ meat, brain, for instance. It's not a staple but I've encountered it growing up.

The Russian zakuski I cannot stand either and neither can my stomach. But I will say this in defense of borsch--it is not a bowl of starch, at least not where I come from. It's diced cabbage, beets, carrots and a little bit of potato so that there are 2-3 bites of it in your bowl. I like it but have to be in the mood for it. Borsch recipes vary by region and individual but I've never seen anything that could be described as a bowl of starch. A bowl of fiber is more like it. It's super healthy.

You need to read more carefully. I find Italian food absolutely delightful. I still dream of that cannoli. And yes, I did eat a lot of regional food besides pizza and pasta, for instance, arancini, caponata, carpaccio and an amazing bit of local fish in Capri. etc..:swoon: But like Asli correctly pointed out, what I disliked was eating ONLY Italian food and having no access to any other cuisine.

And no, fish carpaccio, while lovely, is not the same as sushi or even sashimi served with soy sauce and Wasabi. No need to bring down other cuisines.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  8. sadya

sadya Active Member

I once ate brains as a child without being told they were brains (of sheep or cow, can't remember). My family is originally from Pakistan, I was born and raised in Holland however and not used to certain foods which seemed to be more normal in soms places in Pakistan. Amongst them brains. There is a Pakistani dish which you make with eggs, it's a sort of egg cury. My parents knew I'd refuse to eat brains, so they said the brains were egg cury. After I finished they told me I had just eaten brains. I felt like throwing up. The idea of having had brains still makes me sick.

Lots of foods are normal in the world which we think are weird. What about insects? Scientists say there won't be enough meat for everyone in the future and suggest we better get used to eating insects as they will provide us with enough proteins etc. when there will be shortage of meats. I can't imagine eating insects though, even if it is normal in many places.

Eating foods from different places in the world can be exciting, but also scary.

9. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

If you eat any grains, you eat insects- just not on purpose...

That said- I've had crickets and they aren't too bad, crunchy. I had them in chocolate and they tasted the same as a Nestle Krunch, which has rice grains. Definetly a novelty food though.

10. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

Both "marks" would depend on the criteria, which can in either case be objective or subjective.

11. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Calf's brain is a popular dish in some parts of the southern US. You can buy it potted.

12. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

A friend who did a few long-term projects in Romania about eight years ago tild me that Pizza Hut was very popular in Bucharest, at first for the novelty, but mostly because they were clean and well-lit and had spotless wash rooms, and the employees were trained in Western service. While not all :D, they weren't :mad:, either.

Imaybe if taking ballet were important to the way you make a living, and, particularly in strengthening areas where you were weak and often poorly judged, you might still be bored, but you might suck it up and get what you needed out of it.

I managed to work and travel in plenty of countries without speaking the language (when there were far fewer English-speakers) and went to the balket, opera, and concerts, went to museums, walked aroung cities, hired local people to take me around or traded for the other person practicing their English (long ago before cable TV and the Internet made this unnecessary and when Bonanza was dubbed in German), found groups of English-speakers, took transport to nearby cities and walked around. There are a number of Russian-speaking people in Northern Jersey.

That doesn't mean she should do any of those things, but having a boyfriend in another place and not speaking the language alone don't mean she's doomed for a miserable life. These camps are temporary, and it's not like she's been dumped alone in an apartment a hundred-mile drive from a local cinema. She seems like a homebody, and she might be just as unhappy being outside Paris or London, except for the easier time-zone difference.

Lots of cuts have become more obscure, because they need to be slow-cooked to break down the muscle and because they don't look tempting in a supermarket case.

I remember a small Italian Market about 10 blocks from the Busch-Reisinger Museum in Cambridge, just few blocks from my Sommerville apartment. It was known as the place where Julia Child shopped, and stock small quantities of offal, harder-to-find cuts of beef, lamb, and pork, and rare in the US foods like snake. Rumor had it that many local butchers didn't carry their beef/lamb/pork selection, and they were a tiny place with other groceries as well.

13. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

14. BreakfastClub

BreakfastClub Active Member

I'm sorry I never ran into you whe we were there. All throughout Serbia, Bosnia and Croatia - including Zagreb - we has no trouble finding salads and entrees with veggies and by renting apartments we went to the supermarkets daily and always had fresh fruit, yogurt, muslei, (and a little too much cheap chocolate ;-)) etc for breakfast and carry alongs. A couple of times we even made our own dinners which always included fresh veggies. The maxi Konzum below the train station was indistinguishable from any American supermarket in size and choice. We also made purchases at open air veggie and fruit markets and I saw one in every city we visited in Croatia and also in Sarajevo, along with plenty of small bakeries with fresh bread - both a fairly rare sight in the US. (The open air Italian Market in Philadelphia near me, along with Reading Terminal are considered tourist attractions... That says a lot. :shuffle:) We would have taken care of you. :)

I know PRLady is, like me, well traveled. I think the point of this post is that every traveller's experience depending on what you have access to and ability to get around. If Leonova was staying in generic, characterless chain hotels or rented housing, eating rink food and had no access to supermarkets or a decent kitchen (and the places she was eating out at featured the typical American rich, creamy, salty, greasy junk in 4x potions) I would hate it too.

15. babayaga

babayaga Active Member

But what does this has to do with Leonova? She did not express any stereotypes, she did not say "all American food is junk", she said she was unhappy with the food she was getting while she is here. Why this caused 15-pages controversy and so many defensive posts is beyond me.

16. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

It has nothing to do with Leonova, who said nothing at all except she didn't care for American food and she didn't like the way the food in the athletes' cafeteria looked. I don't think anyone objected to anything she actually said, although some people thought she sounded provincial.

Everything else is posters arguing amongst themselves, which is perfectly normal around here. Skaters exist primarily to give us reason to argue about things.

shan and (deleted member) like this.
  17. falling_dance

falling_dance Bravo, Patrick.

:lol:

18. milanessa

Ain't it the truth? :lol: I love this place.

19. babayaga

babayaga Active Member

Thanks for explaining, I guess I lost track of what has to do with what and assumed the poster was implying Leonova is full of stereotypes about the US. My apologies :)

20. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

I don't care if a skater is artsy-fartsy but if they can't point their toes or use their hands gracefully (see Katerina Witt) then they would most likely benefit from ballet. And if they are serious contenders they will do whatever necessary, whether they find it boring or not. Some skaters used to find figures boring but they did them anyway.

OliviaPug and (deleted member) like this.
  21. milanessa

I think most people find part of their jobs or job training boring - skaters are no different. I'd rather be paid to go to ballet class than weapons training. :D

22. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

It makes me sick now too, what with the mad cow disease and all. But back then I thought it was alright.
    Have you seen the Food Network show called Extreme Cuisine. It's all about eating insects and maggots and other lovely things. It's famine cuisine, really.

23. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

I had pasta with locust in Berlin. Was crunchy and actually quite good.
    I've heard of insects as a good source of protein for the future, and am only for it. If we can get proper nutrition and and even taste from grasshoppers, it's preferable to slaughtering so many mammals.
    Agree that a lot of food aversions are cultural. Growing up in Soviet Russia steamed cow tongue was a major delicacy, and though I do not watch food shows regularly, I did catch a roasted rat on a spit. Or was it a hamster.
    Nutrition is not cultural though... There is this big article now in NYT magazine about the science of making junk food addictive.

24. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I still like the steamed (or is it boiled?) tongue but haven't eaten it for years.

25. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

Skategods, please please please send us a vomitcon soon, I promise I'll be a good girl if you do.

milanessa and (deleted member) like this.
  26. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

:lol: Poor 'paw.

As for Leonova--I think it's totally understandable that she doesn't like rink/arena food--quite a few people don't, myself included. I brought snacks with me to the San Jose Nationals. And what they served at the HP Pavillion was gourmet compared to the food at Shark's Ice.

However, what she said sounded like she was thinks that kind of food represents all or most American food. It's like having one bad bowl of pasta at the Olive Garden and deciding you don't like Italian. I wonder if she's ever been to a really great steakhouse or a high quality fusion cuisine establishment or just had some really amazing BBQ. There was this place in SF, a hole in the wall called Brother- In-Law BBQ. I miss it so much. Or Philly cheese steak.

shan and (deleted member) like this.
  27. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Tongue was classic deli meat in my extended family when I was growing up. I didn't like it, but my older relatives loved it, and it was part of all of the deli platters.

28. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

I am sure you are right and it is, indeed, boiled.
    European stores sell tongue in the deli section, but it is not the same.

29. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

There are some things I still get from the Russian deli, namely, Russian style sauerkraut, you know the crunchy kind, not the limp rude Amerikan kind and those walnut shaped cookies with sweet condensed milk inside (those are a rare treat--there is no nutritional info on the package but I can imagine).

Russian Walnut Cookies. Heaven.

dinakt and (deleted member) like this.
  30. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Brilliant and bears repeating. I would not want to go back to my lonely years as the only looney around who was following skating and getting emotional about it for anything.