Am I the Only One Who Cares Not a Sh*t About the Royal Wedding?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by missflick, Apr 26, 2011.

1. missflick

missflick New Member

I didn't care that much when Princess Diana got married to Charles. Mom did, hence the TVs were on all day.

Blah. I will be tuning out. Anyone with me?

2. emason

emason Well-Known Member

I'm with you. I may tune in briefly just to see what the dress looks like, but I have no interest in watching a prolonged marriage service for people I don't know.

3. escaflowne9282

escaflowne9282 Well-Known Member

I agree. It's funny, because I thought I might watch some of it just to see some of the pagentry of it all, but all this publicity is just ridiculous.

Rex and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

I want to see the dress and the tiara. I am so over the wedding crap. When it gets mentioned on WWE wrestling of all places their is a flippin problem.

Like William, like Kate wish them the best...but I would rather see more on our upcoming election that is getting darn UGLY!!

5. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

:lol: The amount of talk about hating the wedding hype has now officially exceeded the wedding hype.

I'm finding it remarkably easy to tune it all out, maybe because I watch very little TV news and don't read many magazines, aside from specialty ones. Seems like I haven't seen much hype at all.

6. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

I don't have any disdain for all of the coverage. I just simply am not investing in it. I wish the couple well. But I'll be at work on Friday and not even think about it. Why bother getting up at 4am to wade through hours of coverage when, in this age of internet and 24 hr new cycles, I can catch the highlights easily enough at my leisure.

7. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I view it as entertainment outside of the normal same old, same old. For that reason, I will be checking it out. Like Bostonfan, I'm not invested in it, but will enjoy some wedding snark with my friends.

8. millyskate

millyskate Well-Known Member

The only place I read about the wedding is FSU :lol:

9. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I will probably watch the wedding itself, but I don't blame anyone for not being interested. The media has gone right over the top and I am not interested in all the fluff programs surrounding it.

10. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

I have to work a dance festival all weekend, so I won't be able to watch anyway. I remember the C&D wedding-didn't watch that one either. I think my ambivalence towards Diana stemmed from my Mother's extreme giddiness about that wedding. When Diana went into labor with William, my Mom went just starkers. Barf. She worshipped Diana in the beginning which put me off...but I actually like Kate a lot, and I think William is a fine young man. I'm all for them. But watch the wedding for hours? Nah. I'll get all the good parts on news playbacks. I'm sure we'll be seeing the dress, the tiara, the images ad nauseum for months. But I do wish them all the best. I think they're a much more likeable couple than C&D-JMHO.

What is this I see in Entertainment Magazine about a book someone has written about "If Diana was still alive." Could be entertaining. Di might not enjoy sharing the spotlight with Kate...:slinkaway......seriously.

11. reese

reese Well-Known Member

This blog post yesterday talks about how one's interest in the royal wedding is directly related to your mother's interest in Charles and Diana's wedding. Kinda interesting: Why I Won't Watch the Royal Wedding

12. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I don't give a damn about it. I keep forgetting when it is, only to be reminded by all the commercials.

13. mocha-ice

mocha-ice Active Member

Nope, I could care less either. I kind of wish they would elope or something just to screw with everyone... anyway if I'm waking up early that day it's to watch Worlds!

14. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I've seen a few articles on MSNBC, but yeah- FSU is really the only place I've read anything, and it's like one thread. I must be missing whereever all the hype is.

15. Veronika

Veronika gold dust woman

I was going to start a similar thread last week, but chose not to--mostly because I'm mildly interested, but overwhelmed by the coverage here in the US. I mean, I'm happy that Kate finally got her man, and she's really a "commoner," but that's about it. Oh, and I like the sapphire ring.

I'm too young to remember Charles and Diana's wedding (I was 2 at the time), so I really have nothing to compare it to. :p

16. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I love pomp and circumstance, so of course I'm watching. I watch state funerals, too (though ironically not Diana, as I think she was just completely overrated all round. She wasn't even all that pretty. Should have tried growing longer hair or something. I don't even like her engagement ring--don't like round stones, only emerald-cuts and marquis.)

It's a great deal more interesting than most stuff on TV, and at least with it being a true formal wedding it'll actually be rather classy.

17. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

The answer to "am I the only one who.......?" threads is always "No".

Andora and (deleted member) like this.
  18. danceronice

You realize that's a challenge, right? Someone is now going to try and come up with a thread where they are, truly, the only one.

19. Veronika

Veronika gold dust woman

I think she was very pretty, but the hair was bad, bad, bad. She had the feathered look for way too long...it went out in the mid-80s, and she never really let it go.

20. escaflowne9282

escaflowne9282 Well-Known Member

ITA with you and danceronice . I always thought longer hair would have been more flattering on her too. Her hair was so thick and big and just completely overwhelmed her face .

21. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

I think that's a reach. :rolleyes:

22. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

Thanks Reese! Interesting! I got totally turned off to Diana because my mother worshipped her simply for getting married to royalty and because she was a princess! Really great reasons to be totally obssessed with somebody you don't even know....Later, however, she began not liking Diana for a variety of reasons (not going to knock the dead-I used to. I've made a vow not to do so anymore in detail. But I will be honest to say I'm not a fan and leave it at that.) But by then it was too late-I was turned off. I like Kate a lot, though. Good luck and best wishes to them both.

23. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

To watch skating :p

24. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Although I am very interested in the wedding itself and will be taking the day off work to fully enjoy it, I have avoided nearly all the advance coverage, speculation, rehashes of old specials, slapped together "documentaries," fluff pieces etc. From what I can tell, most of it is just designed to capitalize on an opportunity (not that there's anything wrong with that), rather than offering anything new or insightful, or even entertaining.

25. danceronice

Only if it works in reverse--I adore anything that reeks of pomp and circumstance and ritual, my mother could not possibly care less. (Probably much the same as I WANTED to be a practicing Catholic while my parents basically had us baptized and said "You're on your own from here on out, kid"--they went to Catholic schools and were raised by immigrant Catholic/Eastern Rite Catholic families, I was raised by them, lapsed at best!)

See, we all really are just rebelling against our parents!

26. danceronice

I liked watching, I think it was TLC's, rebroadcast of Charles and Diana's wedding, as I wasn't old enough to remember anything about it. Though I found myself spending much of it thinking "I am so glad I didn't have to groom and braid all those horses and clean all the harnesses" and thinking the shot of a horse lying in his stall and getting prodded up by his handler was so typical, and he was probably lying down just to grind in the manure stains really good.

THERE'S another reason to get up at 4am--when you have to get a horse clean for something. (I notice many of the Household Cav's horses have roached, ie shorn off, manes, like the Old Guard Caisson horses...must..not..roach...Lucky's...mane...must..put...down...clippers...)

27. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I do think the wedding hype is over the top, but is it that much worse than the hype over Chelsea Clinton's wedding? The public is in love with the romance, the fashion, the extravagance. It's a glimpse into a world most of us will never see, in real life. It can get annoying, but I don't hate it. In a way, it's something pretty, in a world that is generally a mess. A bit of escape from the ugliness of the Middle East, economic troubles, etc. I am definitely up for seeing the dress, and the bridesmaid's dresses. The tiara, I don't much care about, they are all a bit too ornate for my taste.

28. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I didn't think I cared at all, but as it's gotten closer I've found myself more interested. I also like that the reports I've seen so far sound nice - the request for charitable donations and the inclusion of reps from the various charities, the inclusion of the widows of some of the servicemen William knew who died in Afghanistan, and Kate inviting some of the storekeepers from her home town. There's enough unpleasant stuff on the news, it will be nice to see something festive and fun.

29. floskate

floskate Vacant

I'm not surprised some of you are totally turned off by it. I thought the hype was bad here in the UK but they showed some US coverage during the lunchtime new today as if to say, if you think we're going over the top, wait till you see this!! I mean NBC are apparently sending all 6 of their anchors over to cover this? :lol:

30. Sassafras

Sassafras Well-Known Member

Ambivalent. Hope her dress is better than Diana's. I'll see whatever show up on the news. And of course will check out all the snarky comments here.