Alternatives to Netflix?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by jlai, Sep 4, 2011.

1. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I just read a great article that put this Netflix/Qwikster (thanks for explaining) mess into perspective. It basically said this is like a shoe company who decides to open two stores, one for left shoes and the other for right shoes. They used to sell pairs of shoes for $20 but now each shoe cost $12. They are hoping the customer will only notice the price is $12 and not put 2 and 2 together and realize that what you used to get now cost $4 more. Basically, they think the public is DUMB and wont catch on to what they are doing. Clearly, everyone already has and to me this all seems like a desperate move.

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  2. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

A friend of a friend posted on their FB that they know the in-house counsel for Netflix, and 98% of the cost increases is because the TV/movie industry smells money in the water and has gotten very greedy.

House of Cards :confused: original to Netflix? Why on god's green earth would someone pay so much money for an untested show?!

3. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I have both the DVD and streaming an I think the price is more than fair. The only problem I have is search feature on both the internet site and my Blueray player suck, I wish they would put money into reformatting that feature. I like the fact that they seperated the entities, I use both but I know many people who only use one or the other.

Qwikster is a stupid name.

4. Michalle

Michalle New Member

This is some of the stupidest shit I've ever seen a company do. It's like if facebook decided to split itself into two sites, one just for college students (like the original facebook) and one for everyone else. Why would you do that? Why mess with a good thing? It's crazy! Netflix was THE place to go for this type of service and in a few years it may be the next myspace, or sooner. So so dumb. I've dropped both subscriptions.

5. nerdycool

nerdycool Well-Known Member

Because it stars Kevin Spacey probably. HBO was also bidding for the rights to it.

6. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I think it's as bad as "New Coke". Coca Cola dumped it quickly (no pun intended) after the public outcry. Will Netflix get wise? My gut says no.

For a business to use a name like Quickster is just another sign that they did not think through this whole thing carefully. I think they are going to fall flat on their faces.

Goodbye Netflix/Quickster.

7. Vash01

You may be one of the few smart ones.

8. julieann

Actually, I don't see that way at all. I see it this way - I want my morning paper delivered to me in the driveway every morning so I can read it while I drink my coffee. I also want a digital copy sent to my phone so I can read it on the plane. I understand they are two different services sent two different ways and I need to pay extra if I want two different subscriptions, or I just use one. Probably the one that charges less.

For the 'former' Netflix, licensing for streaming verses just sending a DVDs though the mail are different. Why should they have to pay a licensing fee to studios for people who only get DVDs? It's makes sense for them to sever the two companies.

Last time I went to movies it cost me over $32.00 in tickets alone. Netflix is still a great deal, even with the increase and I get to see way more than ONE movie.

9. BigB08822

The next time you see something even remotely resembling a new release on Netflix streaming be sure to let me know.

Stormy and (deleted member) like this.
  10. hydro

hydro Well-Known Member

It's true, but that's the fault of the studios -- they milk every last cent out of new releases as they can. First through DVD sales, then through OnDemand, then finally through deals with Netflix.

It's their content and they can do what they wish, but if you want the latest and greatest, expect to pay for it.

Netflix offers a cheaper solution for those of us who don't need to see new releases right away.

11. BigB08822

Oh, I know WHY Netflix can't have all the new releases, I am just pointing out the absurd comparison to going to the movies and paying $32. It is comparing apples and oranges. One is a brand new movie, on a huge screen with surround sound, comfy seats, stadium seating, etc etc etc. Netflix isn't trying to sell that kind of experience so of course it doesn't cost that kind of money.

12. julieann

You complain about the cost and now you want newest releases :rofl:

How about they skip the movie theater altogether and drop the price to $3.00 a month?

Comparing streaming to DVD sending IS comparing apples to oranges, I think that is their point. Netflix provides an alternative service to movie theaters, Blockbuster, libraries, Redbox, movie channels or Wal-mart, whatever...you can either stay with them or cancel; it's your choice. Why complain when there are so many other alternatives?

13. BigB08822

I never complained about new releases. I was simply making a point about the previous posters comparison of MOVIE TICKET PRICES to Netflix. It's called sarcasm. How can I make this any more clear? You even quoted my explanation but clearly you didn't read it.

14. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

I just love how worked up everyone gets whenever a company changes anything. :lol:

PDilemma and (deleted member) like this.
  15. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Not everyone :shuffle: I'm happily watching Kramer vs. Kramer right now and I watched The American President a couple days ago and have a DVD of A Streetcar Named Desire sitting on top of my TV. I don't think there's any nearby video store that would have all 3. Some would probably be 0/3 because they're all relatively old films. I'm fine with paying $17 per month, though I think the split is pointless and stupid but oh well.

16. tuffcaco

tuffcaco Well-Known Member

Well, when Facebook changes things, I go with the flow. I pay nothing for it.

But these changes affect the way I use the Netflix services, which I pay for. Going forward, the Qwickster website will NOT be integrated with the current Netflix website. So you want to watch a movie that is not available in Netflix, you have to log in to a different website to see if they have it on DVD. This is a feature we're losing.

So basically we're paying more, but getting a crappier experience all around. Not a good move, Netflix!

17. soxxy

soxxy Guest

At least Jason Castillo @Qwikster on Twitter is getting some action. The foul-mouthed youth who had been quiet since August 16 is apparently getting some $$$$ offers.

18. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Well, I'm complaining because I don't want to pay a monthly fee when I don't watch movies every month. I want what I had before: the option to go to a video/DVD store, choose a movie for $6.00 (or less with certain promotions) and keep it for the allowed time. Bringing the movies back on time was never an issue.

Basically I want a per-view or per-movie option and that seems to be going out of fashion. :(

19. Stormy

Stormy Well-Known Member

A co worker pointed out to me today that Amazon Prime's membership comes with unlimited streaming as well as all the other perks that come with Amazon Prime. That's cheaper than Netflix and they seem to have a ton of content. Looks like a great alternative to me. Has anyone done this? Sorry it it was mentioned upthread and I missed it.

20. Vash01

What's not clear to me is do I need to cancel my Netflix membership and then sign up for Quickster, to avoid being charged for both DVD and streaming? I always watch DVDs and never watch streaming.

21. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Reckless did - sounds like a good deal.

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3283039&postcount=24

22. vesperholly

nerdycool and (deleted member) like this.
  23. nerdycool

nerdycool Well-Known Member

Amazon Prime does sound promising, but at this point, their eligible library is pretty small. Yeah, they have quite a bit available for streaming, but you still have to "rent" a good portion of it, even if you are an Amazon Prime member. For example, I looked to see if they had Big Love available, since that's the series I'm currently getting on DVD with Netflix. They have it, but it's not Amazon Prime eligible, so each episode costs $1.39 to watch. Even with only 10 episodes in the season I'm in, the total for that comes very very close to my monthly Netflix subscription price.

24. tuffcaco

tuffcaco Well-Known Member

:rofl:

I started a free trial of Amazon Prime yesterday. It is definitely an alternative to Netflix streaming, but there is no DVD-by-mail service.

As a streaming option, it is quite good. You can watch a lot of titles with a Prime account, but several of the shows require an extra fee. Basically you have to purchase some shows (per show or per season) if they are not part of the Prime package.

There's some titles I currently watch on Netflix that I would have to pay extra for with Amazon Prime. I use Netflix for streaming educational shows for my kids. Some of the ones we watch now on Netflix would require an extra fee on Prime. But there are a few good ones that Amazon would give me with Prime that I don't have access to on Netflix.

I guess it evens out. For $79 a year, it's not a bad option.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  25. MacMadame

:huh:

DVDs and streaming aren't a sandwich. You don't need a DVD in order to stream your movie.

They also aren't a left shoe and a right shoe as mentioned above.

What this situation is more like is if a shoes store decided to stop selling boots and only sold shoes in one store while opening up a second store for boots next to the first. For some people, it's no big deal. They never wear boots. For the people who only wear boots, now they have to go a different store and that's a pain but it's the same boots they were buying before at the same price and right next door so mostly it's just an adjustment rather than a true inconvenience. For the people who buy both, it is an inconvenience because now they have to go to two stores when before they went to one store.

What I wonder is: how many customers do they have who buy both? I know when the pricing changes were announced, we went to streaming only. We hardly ever used the DVD option. We were only getting one at a time and most of the time it was something only my husband wanted to watch (it's his account) and it would sit around for weeks before it got watched and sent back. So no skin off our nose to cut out the DVD. Most of the DVDs we watch are ones we buy and we'll just continue to do that. I bet a bunch of people went to the DVD only option as well.

If they have a lot of DVD+streaming customers than splitting is weird. If they are the vast minority, I can see why it might make sense to them. Time will tell if it really makes sense, but I still suspect they don't give a hoot about the DVD business and don't really care if it fails.

26. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Thinking of witty user title and coming up blank

I didn't get the cartoon either. The shoes/boots analogy is a much more appropriate one than the sandwich/bun or left shoe/right shoe one. You don't need to get DVDs in order to get streaming service and you don't need the streaming service in order to get DVDs. In fact, up until very recently, we used Netflix for DVDs even though we had the streaming option because we both hate watching movies on the computer.

We had the two DVDs+streaming option but lately we had been watching a lot more DVDs from our local library than from Netflix. Right now, I have a DVD that has been sitting on the couch for almost a week. We've switched to streaming only (we finally got hip to those Roku boxes). It's worked out great because my husband can now watch as much Star Trek and little known independent documentaries as he can stand. I also get to watch independent documentaries and British programming.

27. julieann

We get both because there are many things that are not available through streaming and you have to get it on DVD if you want to watch it. My son streams Netflix though his Wii but he only watched things like The Twilight Zone and Cosby Show.

My in-laws on the other hand only get the DVD because they just barely figured out how to load the DVD player, streaming is to advanced.

28. MacMadame

Buffy!! :lol: Well, that's what I'm streaming right now. And, even though I haven't been happy since season 3 (the best IMO), I am obsessed with watching every single episode.

29. jlai

jlai Title-less

Poor me. :drama:

30. vesperholly

^ well, it's worse because the two stores simultaneously raised their prices when they separated. It's like they're trying to disguise another price increase with the idea of splitting up services.