Alternatives to Netflix?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by jlai, Sep 4, 2011.

1. jlai

jlai Title-less

With Netflix prices going up I'm wondering if there's a better alternative out there. There's the Red Box but I don't know how well it works. Then there's online viewing from Amazon, and ITune movie rental (which requires downloading).

What are you guys using and are there other NETFlix-ers jumping ship out there?

2. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

I still kept Netflix, but went to only the dvds via mail, since my streaming is not always reliable and fast enough. Never have tried Red Box.

3. Bryan

Bryan New Member

I personally love Redbox. It's very convenient and affordable. It's $1 per night for each DVD rental (Blu-Ray is $1.50 per night, I think), and you have until 9 pm the next night to return it.

The only drawback is that some of the studios have placed restrictions on their movies and they are only available on Redbox 28 days after its release, but I believe Netflix does that as well. Also, Redbox doesn't have older titles or classic movies, but if you are more interested in new releases, Redbox is a great option (again, of course, if you don't mind waiting about a month).

There's also Hulu Plus, but I haven't tried that--I only watch the free content. But I also love Hulu to keep up with shows I don't have time to watch during the week, such as Glee.

Sassafras and (deleted member) like this.
  4. nerdycool

nerdycool Well-Known Member

We also went to 2 DVD via mail only, but only because a lot of the things we like to watch aren't being streamed yet. And really, we've been super happy with Netflix. Yeah, it sucks that they raised the prices so much, but for what they offer even at the raised prices is worth it. My opinion, of course. So we're staying and riding out the storm.

Some of our friends have thought about cancelling, but didn't find a good alternative since they do watch quite a lot of movies. Video rental stores like Blockbuster are expensive, Red Box is a good idea, but the selection is very limited. iTunes is more expensive when they add up all they usually watch and the Amazon thing looks promising, but they'll probably wait until their selection expands more.

5. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Redbox is amazing and their customer service is top notch, IMO. I have had one or two issues where they charged me an extra night or the DVD was scratched and they gave me a refund or a credit with no questions asked. It also helps that we have redboxes located on almost every corner so I can use their iPhone app to find the movies I want and don't have to waste a trip to a redbox without that movie. They also send out codes for free movies occasionally or discounts and such. I always use them because they have the new releases. Netflix is great for foreign films, documentaries, older films but we only have the streaming now because of the price increase, not sure how long we will keep it as we hardly watch it anymore. IMO the best thing to use Netflix for is to stream television series. Those are not cheap to rent or buy because of how many discs they are so if it is on there you can get a great deal and they tend to put television shows on there more often than newer movies.

6. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I'm also wondering what the DVD alternatives are now. An independent video/DVD rental store near me just closed down, along with Blockbuster, and Roger's isn't in the vicinity.

I don't want to pay Netflix $8.00 per month plus tax, etc., or whatever it has gone up to as I don't watch movies every month. And I don't want to have to pay any more than $6.00 or so for a DVD as that's what I'm used to paying.

I love Pay-per-view, but the selection is very limited. And extending it would likely create bandwith issues.

7. Quintuple

Quintuple papillon d'amour

GreenCine is an alternative.

Also, I find that my public library has tons of DVDs I want to watch. Just browsing the shelves makes me consider titles I would not have otherwise searched for (and catch up with classics). Our online catalog reveals that they buy most of the obvious choices, and even if they're very popular and out all the time, I can just put them on reserve and they'll hold them for me. I can take out 8 movies at a time, renew online, and keep them up to 2 weeks. Of course, I live in a pretty big city with a great library, and of course one has to account for other users not returning or damaging stuff.

8. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Adding to Quintuple's excellent post: if your library is part of a lending network, you can also get DVDs through inter-library loan. I just got online and ordered a Discovery Channel DVD that's coming to me from an adjacent library district; I'll probably get an email that it has arrived by the end of the week.

9. sk8pics

sk8pics Well-Known Member

I keep extending the hold on my Netflix account. Haven't cancelled it yet because of the queue I constructed, but I may. I've been renting with Redbox and like it very much. There are a couple of kiosks very close to me. The biggest problem with Redbox for me is that I keep getting there right after someone who doesn't know how to use the kiosk or who can't make up their mind which movie to rent.:rolleyes:

10. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

I second the vote for the public library. I was just there the other day and some of the DVDs on the shelf were ones that were on my Netflix cue. They're free and you can keep them for at least two weeks.

11. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Replaced the display under my name

Wish that were true - for me an annual library fee applies as I don't live in the metropolitan area and we have no local library. The fee several years ago was already over $100/yr so who knows what it is now.

12. AJ Skatefan

Wow. I had no idea that some people are charged to use a public library! That sux.

13. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Replaced the display under my name

Thanks for the sympathy. I understand why, though. The library is funded by the municipal taxes of the people who live in the metropolitan area. At one time our local municipality had an agreement where they kicked in funds so we could have free access to the libraries, (fortunately that was when I wanted the library the most as a kid from a funds-challenged family), but they felt that not enough of our citizens were using the service to make it worth the money. For a time then they would reimburse anyone here who paid the annual fee. Last time I checked it was down to only a token amount.

14. AJ Skatefan

I guess that makes a certain amount of sense, Skate Talker. It might be worth the fee if you read a lot of books and watch a lot of movies.

15. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

As a long devotee to public libraries, it boggles the mind that some people living in very decent, populated areas, are completely without access to a local library system. I live in Joliet, IL, which is a sprawling city/town outside of Chicago. However, technically I don't live in Joliet; I live in Plainfield. I actually have to drive through a DIFFERENT town to get to Joliet. However, Joliet annexed the subdivision I live in, so my address is Joliet, even though I'm a twenty minutes out of city borders. It has it's drawbacks, but the perks are that I get access to the Joliet library system, which is huge and awesome.

The weird thing is, some friends of mine, that actually live in Joliet, DON'T have access to the library system and would have to pay upwards of 100 dollars to get a library card. Turns out that they're actually Joliet Township or something strange like that. I know there's a big difference in terms of who they pay taxes to and who I pay taxes to, but still. It's odd. Who knows a library system could be so difficult to navigate. :p

Anyway, in terms of the discussion of using the library as a suitable alternative to Netflix, it's a moot point. My library charges adults 1$ a video or DVD for three days, and kids under 18 can't check out videos or DVD's at all. Strange, strange.

16. Amy L

Amy L Well-Known Member

I've had Netflix for 8 years. I am peeved at their price increase, but I since I rarely ever used their streaming, I went down to their 3 DVDs at a time plan. Now I actually pay a few bucks less per month than before.

I love love love my library! My whole county is in one library system, so I can choose 10 libraries worth of books and DVDs. The DVDs have no extra charge to check out either - - though if they're late it's $.50 a day instead of $.10 like it is for books. Texas is cutting funding to everything, so I do worry for my beloved library system. Though I'm certainly taking advantage of all they offer for as long as I can.

17. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I have used Netflix for many years- sometimes just 2 DVDs per month, sometimes 1 DVD at a time, but unlimited per month. What I find convenient is that I don't HAVE to watch the DVD the same night it arrives. I see that as a disadvantage of Redbox. Those $1 per night can add up very quickly to make it more expensive than NF. I don't want to make it like homework to watch the DVD as soon as it arrives.

18. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

I order most movies via my local library. The disadvantage is that I don't always get to see what I want immediately. The advantage is cost, or lack-thereof.

19. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

I feel out of step... when Netflix raised their prices, we went to streaming only as we hardly ever watched the DVDs. :lol:

The problem I have with RedBox is that I know myself... I'll rent a movie and then hold on to it for days and forget to return it until the rental fee is so high, I might as well have bought it. This is one reason I embraced Netflix when it first came out -- no late fees!

20. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

We have one dvd at a time unlimited, now. We just cut streaming because we rarely used it--therefore, the price dropped for us. Our issue with Redbox and the rental store that we still have access to is the same: late fees. We also like to rent television shows, and like that we can get them one disc at a time from Netflix. The local rental store makes you rent an entire season of a series at once and you have three days...not very doable to watch an entire season of a drama in three days.

21. MacMadame

I use the Netflix streaming for tv shows. I just plow through the shows until I've watched every one. I like that there is no timeframe for when I have to finish. I use it more for tv shows than anything else. The movie selection for streaming isn't that great... the good movies, I've already seen for the most part and what's left that I haven't seen tends to be the 2 star crap that I didn't see for a reason.

22. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Thinking of witty user title and coming up blank

I just switched to the streaming plan for Netflix. When I saw the increase for Netflix on my banking statement I couldn't believe it! :eek: We use to have the two DVD+streaming plan but Netflix has lost their minds. I can live with $7.99 and all the unlimited streaming we like. I brought two Roku boxes for our TVs and we love the streaming videos. Netflix has a great TV show collection as well as some great documentaries.

For DVDs, I'll just continue to use my public library. I've been borrowing DVDs for a while now and as long as I remember to return the DVDs on time or renew them in time, I get no late fees. :D My library is also starting to increase it's collection of Blu-Ray discs too. So that's even more a perk.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  23. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

For Canadians, because Canadian Netflix's streaming selection sucks in general, I love Cinemail, which I think is affiliated with a brick and mortar store in Winnipeg. I have the cheapest subscription, ~$7/mo plus tax, for two rentals of one DVD/set at a time, although I'm planning to up it to double that, because they have a great selection of foreign films. My last few rentals have been "Secret in Their Eyes", "Etre et Avoir", "Bete Humaine", "Grand Illusion", and "Tokyo Story", and 'Widow of Saint Pierre" is on its way.

24. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

If anyone uses Amazon a lot, Amazon Prime is another option. For $79 per year (approximate $6.60 per month), you get free two-day shipping on all Amazon products plus access to about 5,000 streaming videos for no additional cost. That content seems to dovetail pretty closely with what Netflix has streaming. Also, Amazon also has online rentals of new releases for a fee comparable to on-demand fees. Some of those instant videos are available on Amazon when they are available only on DVD from Netflix (The King's Speech is one example).

25. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

That looks to be an impressive selection. But, to me a $7.00 monthly charge is too high as I don't rent movies every month and I already have enough monthly bills to pay. There was never a monthly fee to rent from video/DVD stores so I see this just as another money grab.

26. MacMadame

If you don't rent DVDs monthly, you are definitely not a target customer of Netflix. That's really what their business model is all about!

27. sk8pics

sk8pics Well-Known Member

I had no idea about this! I've been an Amazon Prime member so I will have to check out their videos. Thanks!

28. jlai

jlai Title-less

29. El Rey

El Rey Well-Known Member

30. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

Video/DVD stores charged per video, though, and they did not deliver directly to your home. They also allowed you to keep your video for only a limited time and charged late fees. Netflix plans allow you to order unlimited videos (the quantity you can have at one particular time varies by how much you pay), allows you to keep the video as long as you like without late fees, and delivers directly to your home.

Obviously, if you rarely rent videos, then it would be foolish to be a Netflix subscriber. But, it also would be foolish to get a magazine subscription if you don't usually read the magazine. And, if you can't afford it, you can't afford it. But, IMO, the increased price is very fair for the service Netflix provides. I can't think of a comparable service for the same price. Personally, since I go to the library frequently, I've been borrowing videos from there. But, for someone who doesn't have that option, doesn't have a nearby video store, and frequently likes to watch recently released and/or more obscure shows and movies, Netflix is a great deal.