Alternative Dance Music

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by Aussie Willy, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Looking for alternative suggestions to the usual ice dance music. Particularly the beginner dances such as Dutch Waltz, Canasta, Fiesta, Swing Dance, etc.

2. Johnny_Fever

Johnny_Fever New Member

As long as the counts are the same, anything should work.

3. Clarice

Clarice Active Member

You'd think so, wouldn't you? But beginning ice dance music sounds the way it does for a reason - it needs to have a very clear, obvious beat and no rubato. I teach a beginning adult couple, who wanted to do a number for our club Christmas recital. We put together the "Christmas Blues" and Ella Fitzgerald singing "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas". I made sure the tempos were exactly correct. The Rhythm Blues worked very well, but they had a hard time with the Swing Dance. Even though the tempo and counts were right, Ella takes some liberties with the song. I'm a musician, so I had no trouble hearing and skating to the band on the recording, but my students only paid attention to the singer and had real difficulties keeping time.

Aussie Willy - can you alter tempo on your computer? My partner and I have done the Dutch Waltz to the waltzes from "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" - you have to change the tempos quite a bit, but they still sound good. "Smooth" from Santana's "Supernatural" album makes a good Cha Cha, and we did a free dance this year to Adele's "Rolling in the Deep" that incorporated parts of the Swing, Cha Cha, and Rhythm Blues. The tempo isn't right for any of them, but the beat is very clear.

4. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

FWIW U2's "Mysterious Ways" works very well for the Canasta Tango. I discovered this totally by chance when someone put on the wrong CDs at a dance session :lol:

5. Aussie Willy

My coach and I used to do the Willow Waltz to the Macarena. Regardless of it not being a waltz tempo, the steps fitted in really well to it. And Seal's Kiss from a Rose can be used for Dutch Waltz.

We have so much popular stuff at the rink which I can sometimes get to work for dances like the Foursteenstep, Foxtrot and particularly Cha Cha Congelada (there are plenty of pieces that fit into that). My problem is I hear it, take note of it and then 5 minutes after it ha s been on I have forgetten what it was.

I could probably alter stuff on my computer, but I am just being lazy.

Thanks for the U2 one - that is the kind of stuff I am looking for.

6. Bunny Hop

Bunny Hop Accept no substitutes

I was just about to post exactly the same thing.

Also, if you want something slower than the regular tempo to help learn Fourteen Step - 'Four Seasons in One Day' by Crowded House works very well. I'm dreading having to bring it up to speed though.

7. jjane45

jjane45 New Member

Aussie Willy, by pure coincidence I was posting the very same question on skatingforums on the very same day! ETA: in the replies I was pointed to the icedancers yahoo group, there is a nice list under the files section!

It seems like changing the tempo using Audacity (freeware) will be easy if one can look up the original song's beats per minute value. Enter the current bpm and desired bpm and voila.

Great tips everyone, please keep it coming.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  8. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

I remember always doing the Fourteenstep to 76 Trombones - that music was burned into my memory (though I didn't know what it was until years later).

So cool to use contemporary pieces!

9. Johnny_Fever

Johnny_Fever New Member

.....or the theme from the Bridge on the River Kwai. My personal favorite 14-step.

10. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

Makes sense!

My Foxtrot music was "Everybody Loves Somebody Sometime" (played ad infinitum). Never any variation. Thank heavens there were no Dean Martin vocals! :lol:

11. Johnny_Fever

Johnny_Fever New Member

I agree that those compulsories need an overhaul. How many times can you listen to the same old song?

12. Aussie Willy

Okay I have been trying really hard to find some more dance music. Here are some ideas.

You Am I - Damage (Great Aussie Band) - for Dutch Waltz - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P5UmaMKBJE

Elliott Smith - Waltz #2 - for any waltz really - there is also an instrumental by the Vitamin String Quartet

Moby - Honey - for Fourteenstep - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW4AKNjQ1FI&ob=av2e

And I hate Taylor Swift but the chorus of Love Story really works for Fourteenstep.

Any more suggestions please keep them coming.

ETA - I found some freeware that analyses the BPM - it is called Abyssmedia BPM Counter. Just make sure your file is an MP3 version. So I looked at the BPM, changed the tempo in Audacity and then just checked it again in the BPM Counter.

ETA again - another one - The Ting Tings - Shut up and let me go makes a great 14step. Managed to get the tempo just about right. If you want a copy I can send it to you.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  13. Bev Johnston

Bev Johnston New Member

"You Look So Good in Love" by George Strait works for the European, but you have to alter the beat a little. I did it in Audacity and it works great. I call it the "Country European".

14. Rochelle

Rochelle Active Member

With Juvenile-Novice skaters now able to choose their music for pattern dances (and likewise Junior and Seniors in their Short Dances), I think we'll start to see a lot more alternative songs being used for the Bronze and higher dances, at least in the ice dance "hubs" that have dance couples training/competing.

A friend has used "I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts" for the Fourteen Step... and "Piano Man" for the Starlight Waltz. :)

"I need to know" by Marc Anthony (slowed down a little) works great for the Fiesta Tango.

I've seen a Fourteen Step to Michael Jackson's "Beat It" before.

"Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps" - Cha Cha.

"Eye of the Tiger" -- Paso Doble... though I prefer the traditional Paso songs since so many are great. :)

"Achy Breaky Heart" has been used for the Hickory before... which I find more grating than the John Denver "Grandma's Feather Bed" song.

Swing Dance - Singing in the Rain

15. fan

fan Active Member

kiss from a rose by seal - willow

hot in herre (not a spelling mistake :D) -nelly - 14 step