Allons-y! French skating news & updates

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, May 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nmsis

Nmsis Well-Known Member

Yep.

But it's election time.
    Rrrrrrready to rrrumble ?

On my right, Didier Gailhaguet, president of the FFSG (1998-2004, 2007-2010), figure skater, ex-coach, famous :hat1: for his role in the SLC skandal and kept under the watch by the Cour des Comptes (kind of Court of Auditors) for some curious financial mismanagements prior to 2004 (that he didn't initiate but didn't change when he was in charge either).
    In 1998 and 2002, he was elected without trouble.
    In 2004, he was defeated by the executive board (the Cour des Comptes had made a very harsh report of the financial management of the french fed then) and resigned. He was defeated at the next election.
    In 2006, he pushed his own candidate who won by a 2/3 majority.
    In 2007, he overthew the said candidate and was elected on the first ballot, getting an absolute majority (his 4 opponents gathered 303 voices, he got 333).

On my left, Marie-Reine Le Gougne, Ze judge of ze skandal. Figure skater, ex-judge, president of the Ligue d'Alsace.
    It will be her 4th election and she has never got more than 12% of the votes.

On my center left, Michel-Ange Marie-Calixte, the bobsledder of the Antilles. In his competitive time, he was in frequent conflict with the FFSG. Since he retired, he has always been a candidate but never gathered much votes.

On my center right, a new candidate : Alexandre Piton, ex-ice dancer (skating with Barbara Piton in the 90s), supported by Philippe Candeloro (who would be his "vice-president"). There is a facebook for this candidacy : Piton - Candeloro something. Piton has a GREAT professional curriculum vitae. But I have no idea of his political weight within the french fed.

The french fed's general assembly + the elections are held on Saturday and Sunday in Reims.

So Vanessa James may not re-appear within icenetwork until Monday. Gailhaguet is likely to want only good news until Sunday. :saint:

geoskate and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Reposting this question from the Grand Prix thread because I'd like to know too:

3. Tony Wheeler

Tony Wheeler Well-Known Member

I put up a little "possibly retired" post on my blog when the Grand Prix assignments came out and someone let me know that supposedly Yannick's plan (at that time?) was to sit this year out to focus on school and then decide if he wants to come back in 2011/2012. I think he is supposed to release a statement right around the time of the French elections which are Saturday, but I might be wrong.

4. IRIS1975

IRIS1975 New Member

I've read on a Russian forum with reference to French FS magazine that Amodio will train in the USA from mid-June ( mo mentioning where and with whom). Then in July he will go to Moscow to work with Morozov. Then he will come to France to work with his coach. At the end of August he will be in Moscow again. He also says that he likes his programs and their music a lot.

5. sus2850

sus2850 Active Member

Thanks Tony, there was also a mention from Annecy Infosport last week that he is about to give a little interview, but then I heard nothing. Sitting out a year doesn't sound that probable though in a country with quite a few top level skaters. I fear he won't come back, very sad.

6. Artifice

Artifice Guest

Probably, especially since a year only is not enough to get done with studies. I don't know where he is in the process but he might need more than a year to get a superior degree.

7. sus2850

sus2850 Active Member

Ponsero is doing a kind of physiotherapy degree (kinésithérapie) in Grenoble which apparently needs another 2 years to finish, he said in an interview. But I rather think he gives up because of not making the Olympics and the worlds team.

geoskate and (deleted member) like this.
  8. SkaterMate

SkaterMate New Member

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  9. poths

poths Well-Known Member

SO GUTTED by this thread. Ponsero :fragile: That's beyond sad for me. :( :(

and James /Coia over before they begun?

DISTASTER

10. shah

shah Well-Known Member

:fragile:

11. Dave of the North

Dave of the North Well-Known Member

These elections are much more exciting than the ones for the President of the Republic.:lol::p Didier, Le Gougne, and a bobsledder, and someone with the name Piton. What more could you want. :)

12. Nmsis

Nmsis Well-Known Member

Oh no, there is a lot of fun within the presidential elections but the elections of the FFSG make the show for sure. :watch:

http://www.lunion.presse.fr/article/tous-sports/feu-a-volonte-sur-le-systeme-gailhaguet (google translation + me)

:watch: :watch: :watch:

Tomorrow, there should be stuff in L'Equipe Mag, the week-end additional publication of L'Equipe. :watch:

13. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

:watch::watch: , indeed !

I hope there will be translations...:D ( Oh, the drama!)

would it be possible to pull a full Piseev in France ?

14. poths

poths Well-Known Member

Distatser is obviously French for disaster. ;)

15. Nmsis

Nmsis Well-Known Member

Really ? :lol:
    That must be "creative" french. ;)

http://www.lunion.presse.fr/article/tous-sports/patinage-artistique-au-coeur-du-scandale

:watch: :watch: :watch:

16. ChiquitaBanana

ChiquitaBanana Well-Known Member

Blablabablablabla Marie-Reine.

You keep changing the twist to your story everytime you go out. After 8 years, it's always easier to tkae the facts and align them to make a better image of you.

17. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

Nmsis, when will the results of the elections be up?

18. Nmsis

Nmsis Well-Known Member

19. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Le Gougne should have totally won. It would be all kinds of :yikes: :scream: :D :watch: :biggrinbo.

20. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

Obviously the clubs are happy with the direction French figure skating has taken. :rolleyes:

HisWeirness and (deleted member) like this.
  21. Artifice

Artifice Guest

A simple question : why did clubs vote for DG ?
    Either they appreciate what DG does, and/or the other candidates were not competent enough to handle such a high job.

22. escaflowne9282

escaflowne9282 Well-Known Member

Although ,oddly enough, I think this is probably the closest version to the truth, in terms of the pressures placed on her, her evaluation of the two programs as essentially even, Galhuguet's chicanery , the lobbying atmosphere in SLC, the confrontations after the event etc. But , this is the same story she has always told...

Meh. Gailhuguet re-elected with 88 percent:wall:

23. casken

casken Well-Known Member

She's right, and if she had just stuck to this at the time the whole controversy would have never reached the heights it did.

24. Artifice

Artifice Guest

MR LG may be right and honest in SLC but I wonder why she broke down at the time. She just had to say that she believed B&S deserved to win, which was actually what she sincerely thought. Why did she have to say she was pressured to vote for the russians when her vote was not really influenced by this pressure ? She said out loud something that all judges had been used to do or used to live for decades. It's all the more unbelievable that she was known as a good and fair judge, until this story !
    IMO she proved that she actually has difficulty to handle too stressfull situations. As a FFSG president I'm not sure she could have handle this. Maybe I'm wrong but this is not made to give guaranty to her capacity to deal with some ISU representatives...

I have nothing for nor against DG but could it be that he is actually the only one with the right level to deal with everything requested to be a president ? I the 90's he managed to build a very strong French team after all...
    Can MR LG do better ? I'm not sure. She seems to not resist very well to pressure.
    As for Alexandre Piton, I don't know him except that he was fired of his financial director job... Maybe he should start by having a job within the FFSG and climb the scales until being able to apply for the president job. That's what DG did, but it seems difficult now after his candidacy and words against DG. Bad strategy IMO.
    Sometimes people prefer to stick with what they know even if it's not perfect rather than puting their trust on someone who hasn't proved anything yet.

This is only random thoughts and questionning on finding a reason of a 88% votes for DG...

25. Nmsis

Nmsis Well-Known Member

Because being the center of a big mess ?
    Pushed by one side to vote for S/P, pressured on the other by the president of her federation, at no less stressful than an olympic event.
    Then being physically assaulted.
    Then being questionned by ISU people.
    Then being questionned by the FBI.
    Then being locked during the questioning, away from the press who must have also hunted her.
    All that in a foreign country, having to deal with a foreign language all the time (because speaking a foreign language IS tiring and stressfull when it lasts for long)
    I don't think a lot of people would resist that kind of treatment.

Maybe because that's the question that was asked to her ?

Is that so ?
    From the article above from l'Union (and the only information I could get about Piton), I can't understand if he was fired and Gailhaguet was saying to everybody it was for skulduggery or if Gailhaguet was saying to everybody he was fired.
    From his facebook, he was financial director in Eurosport for a year in 2001, after being in managing TV rights in Eurosport for 4 years.

He certainly has things in his favor, ie his passion for his sport.
    But he also has things against him.
    Salt Lake City isn't the only disaster that is stuck to his name.

In 2004, the Cour des Comptes made a special report about the management of the FFSG.

Result :
    - beside being president, for 4 years, Gailhaguet was "employed" for a job at the INSEP (national sport institute), a "ghost job" as he never worked there
    - At the end of 2003 - begining of 2004, he took 30 000 € in cash from the FFSG account to bring it to SLC. He only came back with 3000 €.
    There never was any justification. Apparently, he explained it was to buy tickets once there. But the fed had already bought for more than 50 000 € in tickets before the Games.
    - L'Express 2003
    - Plus in 1997, the fed was put under the financial ruling of a administrator, scheduled until 2007. In 2004, after Gailhaguet's departure and waiting for the new election, the president by interim realized she was being largely overpaid.

IMHO, Gailhaguet doesn't own his job to him climbing the scale. He owns it for having been the guy chosen by the ex strong-man of the french fed, Bernard Goy, who was into hockey business, selling hockey equipment and skates, if I got things correctly.

Goy led the FFSG to bankrupcy (the financial management was also very "creative" then) so he had to leave, then he pushed Gailhaguet. In return, Goy was appointed by the french fed as a consultant to negociate TV rights (which shrinked at the time) for more than 300 000 € / year. He also made the fed buy for more than 100 000 € in skates to a company his son was sales manager in.
    Even in 2006 (ie not under Gailhaguet's presidency), he was a contractor for the organisation of the Euros in Lyon.
    (Goy deceased a few months ago, I believe ; that puts an end to an era)

So if Gailhaguet has a level, I'm not sure it's the one needed to manage a sport federation. :rolleyes:
    Anyway, one can hope he has learned from the first time.
    But while the debt has been reimbursed in 2007 by Ancelet, the french fed is still under the watch of the Cour des Comptes. Gailhaguet had an appointment there just last week.

ks1227 and (deleted member) like this.
  26. MarieM

MarieM Well-Known Member

Piton is doing the ENA. And one doesn't enter such a school if there is a shrink of suspiscion about any malversation of things like that.
    Piton and Candeloro were probably the best candidates of all.

27. Artifice

Artifice Guest

On your own personal opinion...
    88% of the voters doesn't think so.
    I'm not in favor of any candidate, but Piton and Candeloro, as much goodwill they may have, they haven't proved anything yet to clubs presidents that would have encouraged them to vote for Piton.
    Piton should prove that he can lead a real project, deal with everything requested to be a manager, not only financial aspects, not only sports aspect, but also with communication aspects, negotiation aspects, human resources aspects, ...
    Maybe voters chose the one they know. DG has bad aspects but he is also trying to develop things in this sport.

28. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Thanks Nmsis, they way Le Gougne was scapegoated was just disgusting.

29. Artifice

Artifice Guest

Yep !
    I would have liked to see how another judge would have reacted had he been treated like that. I'll never know but for sure she was in a terrible situation.

What projects/program did she have for the FFSG ?

30. cholla

cholla Fearless Musher

True. People usually become swindlers and embezzlers only after they've studied at E.N.A (National School of Administration) :shuffle: :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.