Allons-y! French skating news & updates

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, May 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

With the rink in Poitiers soon to shut down, it now looks like Brian Joubert is going to be training in/near Paris this season (source). I'm not sure who his coach(es?) will be.

2. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

The two rinks are Bercy ( Katia Krier-Beyer) and Champigny ( Annick Dumont). INSEP is the champion factory in France and he will have accesss to all the high tech equipment and support.

3. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Annick Dumont :scream:

4. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

What about Veronique? Did they split again?

5. Zemgirl

Joubert had to move elsewhere because of the rink closing; it'll be a year before the new one is ready. But Guyon has a family, she can't relocate as easily. IIRC she will be coaching at a rink closer to Poitiers (Chatellerault, maybe?), but I'm not sure Joubert would have had enough ice time there. Knowing how much he likes living in Poitiers, I'm sure he tried to find a way to manage it - but there was talk of him commuting between three different rinks, which would have been a complete hassle. He'll definitely be better off being based at INSEP.

Also, while Katia Krier-Beyer and Annick Dumont ate the coaches at the rinks where he'll be training, I'm not sure either will be his primary coach.

6. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Thanks for explaining, Zemgirl. I knew about the rink problem but didn't know that it cost Brian coaching situation:(

I hope he finds "the" coach for him soon. Because, even the latest season, Veronique didn't seem to do quite good for him for I think his decision to continue 'till Sochi was purely based on the motivation and amazing support the crowd in Nice gave him.

7. kirkbiggestfan

The French Fed made coaches like Depouilly or Simond move to Poitiers in the past. We see skaters move to coaching centers all the time. With Joubert, it was the opposite. Logistically speaking, it would actually be easier to ask a coach to come to Paris. I also think that Dumont is clueless and Joubert knows it, but he'd rather stay with her than train overseas!
    Guyon can't move to Paris...how about mommy dearest?

8. Zemgirl

Someone has to stay and take care of the pets ;)

The more recent update is that he probably will work with Katia Krier-Beyer and Annick Dumont, while the collaboration with Guyon is more of a question mark.

In other French news, P/B have switched clubs to Français Volants.

9. Sylvia

Sylvia On to JGPF & GPF!

Update article on Yrétha Silété and her knee injury -- she "broke one of her crossed ligaments, injured a lateral one and damaged one of her menisci": http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120917&content_id=38561934&vkey=ice_news

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  10. kirkbiggestfan

http://www.lanouvellerepublique.fr/.../Articles/2012/09/18/LA-NOUVELLE-VIE-DE-BRIAN

Latest update on Brian's training situation:
    - The French Fed made him move to Paris 1 month earlier than expected, since the training conditions at the Poitiers rink were bad; he could only train 2 hours a day there!!!
    - He still is planning to come back to Poitiers next year, unless his stay in Paris make him change is mind. He wants to open his skating school when he retires.
    - The training schedule between Dumont and Krier has not been defined yet!!!!

11. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

Imagine if the students he coaches end up being known for their amazing presentation and transitions and choreography!

12. Zemgirl

Sylvia, thanks for the link to the article on Silété. I'm glad that she and her coach are able to stay positive while dealing with the injury and its aftermath.

Well, leaving aside the presentation question because that's a subjective thing, some of the older skaters have mentioned that it's hard for them to modify their skating to the demands of the current system, because they weren't trained for it until late in their development. I think it was KvdP who said that he could do jumps or transitions but not both, or something to that effect? Joubert has tried, to varying degrees of success, to adapt - but he probably would have been more successful under 6.0. Still, I see no reason why skaters who didn't grow up training for the current system can't help develop younger skaters with the demands of the IJS in mind. BTW, here's what he had to say about transitions in an interview last year:
    Anyway, I think it's kind of sweet that Joubert wants to work with younger skaters. He was with the same coach (Guyon) from the time he was a kid until the age of 19 or so, maybe he'll be able to have a similar experience but as a coach.

13. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

2 hours of ice time would be fine as a short-term solution as long as he could spread them out and do both morning and afternoon sessions. Most skaters aren't on the ice more than 3 hours a day anyway. They do off-ice and conditioning for their 4-5 hours of trainining. It doesn't sound like he had much say in when his training could be held, though since the rink was in need of so many repairs and couldn't afford to wait any longer to start them.

14. kirkbiggestfan

http://www.sport.fr/patinage-artistique/joubert-en-couple-apres-sotchi-283119.shtm

An article about Joubert that says he will end his single career after Sochi....and try pairs afterwards. He talked to a pair coach about his desire to switch (My guess is JR Racle), but the coach wasn't convinced it was a good idea. Joubert will do try-outs after Sochi. He says that skating pairs will also be good for his future coaching career.

15. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Mais oui! Think we just found Kevin van der Perren's long-term partner.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Zemgirl

He'd have to move to Poitiers.

Joubert's been talking about this pairs plan forever. I'm not buying it. Though if he just wants to do that for shows for a bit and get some experience for future coaching possibilities (as he suggests), I guess that's another matter.

On to other French matters... any news about Iliushechkina's status? I figure since she and Kocon are skating at the Masters, there must be some indication that she'd eventually be able to get her release.

17. Macassar88

I don't think he plans on chasing olympic gold with pairs

Although whoever he skates with is one lucky lady!

18. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

that´s for sure :cool:

19. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

20. Libertango

Libertango New Member

Where are Zahorski/Miart?

21. marysy

marysy Active Member

It was mentioned over in the GP assignments thread that they split. :(

22. Imperfect Edge

Imperfect Edge New Member

The split of Zahorski/Miart is disappointing to hear. Are they both planning on continuing? (Apologies if this repeats anything in the GO thread I don't have access)

23. Zemgirl

It is certainly disappointing.

My understanding is that he just stopped showing up for training and she's looking for a new partner. Maybe someone else will be able to confirm this.

24. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

That is the current rumour, yes.

Are you sure that Florent fell two times? His TES looks too high for that. I would have guessed the deductions come from music or something similar

25. CatherineC

CatherineC Member

Hey, someone have Pechalat/Bourzat new programs from Masters d'Orleans??? :)

26. cholla

cholla Fearless Musher

It's more than a rumor. Miart hasn't showed up at practice for over a month and his former partner is looking for a new one she can count on.

The second deduction was for time violation.

27. Zemgirl

Is there any particular reason why he stopped training? It seems like such a strange situation...

Would the FFSG consider sending Papadakis/Cizeron to Euros with the third spot? Seems a shame to waste it...

28. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

29. Macassar88

30. joeperryfan

joeperryfan Well-Known Member

Methinks Krylova wanted an excuse to put Fabian in red pleather. Seriously now, I love the Rolling Stones and maybe it's quite an awesome program to watch in person, but from the video I get the impression that they don't rock enough to pull this off, and the music is cut in such a way that it loses energy instead of building it, who wants that with rock'n'roll?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.