Allons-y! French skating news & updates

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, May 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Libertango

Libertango New Member

IMO the were way too many breakups! If the reason is because the skaters didn't get along it's fine, but I have the feeling that sometimes they did not look at the bigger picture. Just one example : Neil Brown & Maureen Ibanez (who won jr Nats in 2008 and finished 11th at Jr Worlds) looked very promising but since Maureen was too old to skate as a junior anymore, Neil searched for a younger partner. For what? Two partners in 3 years and he finished 10th with G.Bott at Jr Worlds in 2010 which is only 1 spot higher than his result in 2008!

2. IceDanceFan1

IceDanceFan1 New Member

Interestingly, Brown is now skating for CZE with Mysliveckova. They are listed on the entries for the Golden Spin of Zagreb.

3. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Mae is not in Bercy all the time. She still skates in Vitry. Vitry seems important for her. I don't know what she'll decide later.

4. Celine82

Celine82 Well-Known Member

I've been catching up on videos of the GP, and I just want to say that I love Alban's commentary on Eurosport. I wish he and Géraldine could do all the events together - just the two of them...

5. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

No no and no. He's too nice. Too sweet. I want Philippe Pélissier !!!

6. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

I don't mind Philippe Pélissier's grumpiness and constant negativity. Obviously he knows singles skating inside out. However he shouldn't comment on ice dance. He doesn't know about it, he doesn't seem to follow it and he feeds the audience an incredible amount of wrong information about the rules.

7. Celine82

Celine82 Well-Known Member

Most of the time, I also don't mind Pélissier putting down half the skaters at the end of the programs. My main issue is when he starts rambling about costumes and music and painting and literature and what-not for minutes on end during the programs... and it's become more and more frequent. He used not to say a word during the programs - I wish he could go back to that.

8. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Well, with time, I guess it won't get any better. IMO, he was at his best as a commentator during 1998-2002. It's getting worse and worse every year.
    I loved his comments, because he really pointed out the good and the bad. Now, I have the feeling that he pays more attention to the atmosphere to comment, not really to the skating.

Plus, he doesn't know any skater anymore, he has no news about them, he has no news about the federation...

Anyway, I don't have Eurosport France anymore. lol
    About ice dancing, I don't know if Alban knows much about that !

9. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

What bothers me about Pélissier is not that he doesn't know about ice dance, but rather that he invents rules based on hearsay - where he doesn't know them - and wuzrobs some of the couples based on such imaginary criteria. He speaks with a lot of authority, so surely people believe his BS.

OTOH he has aesthetic sense and hates the Morozov-type tasteless programs, which is great.

10. Libertango

Libertango New Member

I'd take Pelissier's rambling over Nelson Monfort's rambling ANY day!

About him not quite knowing the rules, I think he does not quite get COP. For example he often says thing like : X is a good jumper so he'll get a high TES and Y is a good spiner so he'll get high PCS. But spins are a part of TES too!

11. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

:eek: :confused: - I didn't know that there are such commentators - still. Even if a commentator is not an expert (actually, especially then), they should at least look at protocols from time to time - it's all there. In my opinion, it's quite unprofessional that this commentator hasn't done that in all those years. I am not an expert in figure skating at all, but even I know things like this - mostly because I do look at protocols.

12. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

The same happened to Dick Button. He was so much better before he ran the Professional World Championships and had an inherent conflict-of-interest in who from the eligible ranks might feed into his, self-selected event. Then he became unbearable after the fall, with the rambling.

13. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Apparently Florent Amodio has new programs (at least, so says his FB fan page). There was no specific information given, but just about anything is bound to be an improvement over what he was doing, right?

14. annie_mg

annie_mg Active Member

15. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Worse than he was doing is hardly imaginable, so yes, I think we will see an improvement. Good news.:)

16. cholla

cholla Fearless Musher

17. deepedge

deepedge New Member

I have heard that it is official Elektra and Benn have been selected by the French Federation to go to the Junior World Championship. What a great way to end your junior season. Dance on...........

18. Libertango

Libertango New Member

Congratulation to Elektra & Benjamin!

19. sammyf

sammyf Well-Known Member

20. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Moving the discussion from the Russian skating thread here.

After the very disappointing last season, Carron/Jones have apparently jumped ship and left Linichuk & Karponosov and moved to the UK.

21. SkaterMate

SkaterMate New Member

Where they train and who is the coach?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  22. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

I think there's only Marika Humphreys Baranov coaching there, but I am not sure at all.
    Maybe a UK poster could tell us.

23. taz'smum

taz'smum Active Member

deleted

24. Eislauffan

Eislauffan Well-Known Member

As I mentioned in the Russia thread, John Dunn has moved back to England.
    Joan Slater probably has retired, at least I don't remember seeing her in the past few seasons.
    There is also Marika Humphrey's former partner Philip Askew coaching.

25. casken

casken Well-Known Member

Maybe they just gave up and settled in the UK? :shuffle:

26. mella

mella is lutz crazy!!!

Good Grief!!!

Liz Coates is also coaching in the UK.

I've not heard anything about C/J at the rink where Liz Coates and John Dunn coach though.

27. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

So to sum up the French skaters' off-season so far, Gwendolyn Didier is now skating for Serbia, C/J have moved to a mystery coach in the UK, Amodio is shooting a movie and Joubert is doing a TV show (Fort Boyard again) and an Averbukh show (in Astana), and P/B will have a Rolling Stones FD. Have I missed anything?

28. Libertango

Libertango New Member

He is also in a tv show called "Brisons la glace" (you can see bloopers here) where he plays a character named Mike.

29. SkaterMate

SkaterMate New Member

30. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

Joan Slater has definitely not retired I saw her coaching on the ice a couple of weeks ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.