Allons-y! French skating news & updates

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, May 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

None that I've seen, but there's a bit from their FD in this news report. I think Fabian may have more eyeliner on than Nathalie. :D

(my apologies if this belongs in the K&C, please move the post if that's the case)
  2. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Egyptian arms voids! :gallopin1
  3. casken

casken Well-Known Member

OMG it *is* "The Feeling Begins". :scream:
  4. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of TFB but I'm willing to keep an open mind. I'm really looking forward to seeing their SD. :watch:
  5. znhurston

znhurston Member

Thanks zemgirl for the news report link with a bit of P/B's FD.
  6. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

It's only one of 3 pieces listed for them, though. I am keeping an open mind, but I have a feeling a lot of people will hate this FD.

ETA: I've now watched the full program on fsvids. Very meh - a typical Egyptian arm movements program. Don't know what they were thinking especially if it's to be their swan song. I'm not uplifted. :p
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  7. LadyNit

LadyNit moving right along Staff Member

LOL. Natalie recycling her mummy look from 2008? :rofl:
  8. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

Well it worked for Grushgons :D Gave them a lovely olympic bronze :rolleyes:
    Could any kind person give a link here please :)
    I have looked on YT but no luck I'm not being lazy just have never used FSVids before .:eek:
  9. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

I'd prefer Fabian to recycle his. :grope:
  10. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

The less he wears, the better:swoon:
  11. beepbeep

beepbeep Resident Rude Brazilian

I fully concur with this statement.
  12. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Yes ! Too bad he didn't recycle his costume, because I don't really like this new one !
  13. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

I was afraid when the music started, because of the opening pose (very Grishuk&Platovesque). But in fact, it's just the beginning and the rest is very differetn, very interesting, IMO.
    I've liked the program at first, and hope to see it again soon. :)
  14. iris81

iris81 New Member

15. allezfred

Egyptian arms ahoy! PML! :rofl:

It may be crap, but at the very least it's different crap to last year. And I love "The Feeling Begins".
  16. Jenya

Jenya Well-Known Member

:rofl: I kind of love it. :shuffle: And I hope they have some super voidy back story to go along with it...
  17. IceIceBaby

IceIceBaby New Member

Thanks! Unfortunately it looks to me quite childish and old-fashioned. Like someone could have skated that program 10 years ago. When V/M and the other Canton teams will step on the ice with their classy costumes and fresh programs they will look like a blast from the past.... :scream:
  18. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but how exactly are the Canton team's very old fashioned programs in anyway fresh? :shuffle:

I'm not crazy about this dance either to be honest, but it's very different, and I actually quite liked the shapes they made on the ice and the last step sequence.
  19. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

I do too but to me it's all about Pasha to this music :kickass:

Was I right in thinking that the second cut of music sounded like K/O Jungle drums 99 FD ?
  20. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I believe Fabian is a Pharaoh and Nathalie is the mummy of his late wife, brought back to life for one last dance. Or something like that. Voidy enough? :D

Yes, Canton dance teams always have such original, cutting edge programs. Nothing old fashioned for any of Marina and Igor's teams. :rolleyes:
    Jenya and (deleted member) like this.
  21. IceIceBaby

IceIceBaby New Member

In ice dance they are. I personally think that all these weird characters, mummys, birds etc. are very old fashioned in ice dance and they also make it look quite ridiculous as a sport. :slinkaway
  22. marbri

marbri Hey, Kool-Aid!

I don't think its very different unless you mean very different from the other FDs we've seen so far this season. In that sense it might stand out but I was hoping if they were going to revisit the 90's in ice dance it would be a bit more A&P than Denkova/Staviski. Although I recognize the nod to A&P in their opening pose ;)

We should have a nice bit of variety though with the top teams which will make for an interesting GP final and Worlds. An Egyptian dance, Funny Face, Ave Maria, haven't really seen any others but judging by the music announced I look forward to the variety this season.
  23. marbri

marbri Hey, Kool-Aid!

I don't think it makes the sport look ridiculous. I think any theme, done well, has merit.
  24. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Yeah, because empty, recycled Zoueva choreography and skating through the music is sooooooo fresh. :p
  25. allezfred

Press release!!!!!
  26. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

Pechalat/Bourzat being whom they are, I was fully expecting their "Egyptian" FD to be about the Arab Spring. :rofl:
  27. Jenya

Jenya Well-Known Member

I need a detailed handout explaining all of the arm movements and their signifiance. :drama:

:rofl: I'm really glad I'm not the only one who had this thought.
  28. Proustable

Proustable New Member

That would probably be more interesting than what they actually did (though I'll cop to liking it more than I expected)
  29. Tammi

Tammi Merlot lover

30. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

It's totally mad.

Not sure if it's a good or a bad thing. But it definitely stands out and at least isn't boring.

P/B bringing the crazy as usual! <3
  31. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Why do I get the feeling P/B could vomit on the ice and Ziggy would go "at least it isn't boring!!!"
  32. casken

casken Well-Known Member

The way the different pieces of music are put together reminds me of Denkova and Staviski's 2003 FD.

I don't love it, I don't hate it. I think the music in the second half works a bit better. Eh.
  33. allezfred

Maybe they'll call it "Tribute to Tahrir Square". :D
  34. zotza

zotza Active Member

I don't love it but I don't hate it either,which is good.

But since when variety in ice dancing is forbidden?Some of us find a zillion big band programs skated with the same white shirt and black pants the 1990 too.Moniotte/Lavanchy,Bourne/Kraatz anyone?I consider all that equally a joke,as other consider mummies,etc.
    What always makes me wonder though is why all of these teams use balletic,avant garde,dramatic etc when they need to win the Olympics.If it's so bad,why do it...
  35. Artifice

Artifice Guest

I think there are no bad themes, as long as the choreography is good, brings something interesting or new / difficult, it's fine for me.
    TFB is a music that will please some and bother others, it's a matter of personal taste. But the important is the program and how it is skated. I haven't seen yet P&B's program, but they have the right to interpret these music.
  36. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

Quite right.
    I love this music and my favourite programme is G/P 97 FD They did a fabulous programme loads of choreo and they were fast .
    Compare to G/G and well zzz you know :rolleyes:
    N/K FD to it was also pretty good.
    I'm glad they're not using it all the way through though in that way it won't be compared to these teams.
    Loved the lift where she is stood upright :kickass:
  37. Evilynn

Evilynn ((Swedish skating dudes))

Didn't P&B use an Egyptian choreographer for this? If so, why on earth is it filled with Walk Like An Egyptian moves that you never, ever see in oriental dancing or Egyptian folkloric dances (or shaabi for that matter). I realize oriental dance would be hard to translate to the ice, but when they're standing around posing surely they could do some actual oriental dance moves instead of WLAE-arms? :confused:

I hope it'll grow on me, as I usually love their programs, but... :slinkaway
  38. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

Thanks. It doesn't look bad - I have only watched it without sound/music for now, though. Still, although I understand that they have their style, I would have liked to see something more serious from them for a change. I think they are fully capable of it, as we saw it in their 2010 FD (the one that they skated at Europeans and Olympics, not their old, very much in their usual style program that they used at Worlds).
  39. pani

pani Well-Known Member

I think we saw this from them at exibitions with different music. And even first part including first lifr were the same. They didnt show nothing new, ony 1 new lift. Dont know what to think about this. I thought they really will show something unreall for home WCh. Did Camerlengo work with choreo of this FD?
  40. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

The arm movements - even if it is Walk Like an egytian- are very well done! They look great.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.