All Thing PBS

Artemis@BC

Coming this month:

On Sunday Sept 11, Churchill's Secret starring Michael Gambon, and focussing on the time he had a life-threatening stroke but it was kept a secret from the public. Single episode.

On Sunday Sept 18, Royal Wives at War, "a fresh look at the abdication crisis of 1936 through the eyes of the Queen Mother and Wallis Simpson."

And Indian Summers returns starting Sept 11. I didn't absolutely love season 1 (it was rather too clichéd and soapy for my tastes) but I love that time period and the Indian colonial setting, plus of course Julie Walters, so I'll probably watch the 2nd (and final) season.

And oh yeah, Poldark season 2 starting on Sept 25 but I can't be bothered with that again.

Cachoo

Will there ever be anything that makes me feel sympathetic for Wallis Simpson? I don't know---so far the answer is no.

kittyjake5

My local PBS station has been running a Labor Day Downton Abbey marathon Season 1 through Season 6.
It has aired non stop around the clock and I have been binge watching, now watching the final season!

Artemis@BC

I won seasons 1-5 of Downton Abbey on DVD, so I'm recording season 6 from the current marathon so I'll have the whole set. I'll re-watch the entire series at some point in the winter when I'm less busy (if that ever happens!).

Cachoo

My local PBS station has been running a Labor Day Downton Abbey marathon Season 1 through Season 6.
It has aired non stop around the clock and I have been binge watching, now watching the final season!

Our station is doing this as well. I missed the "Coming Out" episode when the Prince, King and Queen made appearances on the show. It was also fun because they were trying to retrieve a stolen letter that would have embarrassed the Prince. And I like Paul Giamatti and wanted to see his portrayal of a "gruff" man with a good heart. I thought his story---seeing a confirmed bachelor slowly falling in love---was very good.

kittyjake5

Are you sure? Check your listings. My PBS is continuing the marathon today, and goes right up to the end of season 6.

I am sure. PBS has had its regular children's programming on all afternoon and the listing for the rest of the
night is regular programming. Maybe some glitch happened because they did advertise up to the end of
season six.

acraven

Keep checking. No doubt people will complain. They'll probably have to find a way to squeeze in the rest of Season 6. Hope your PBS station is better than mine at getting accurate schedule info on its website, though.

Jubak

At least I knew ahead of time. Sigh and yawn! PBS has been dull lately. I suggest BBC2's 'Line of Duty' to debut in the US asap. PBS are you listening??
Wonderful show but I don't see it as PBS. Maybe Netflix.

Artemis@BC

I can't warm to season 2 of Indian Summers, so I've struck that one off my to-watch list. (Just as well, with so much good stuff on the networks this season.)

But I'm looking forward to The Durrells in Corfu, starting Oct 16. I read and loved all of Gerald Durrell's memoirs, and I think it will make for some great tv.

There's also a "making of" special about Hamilton, airing on Oct 21 in the Great Performances timeslot. A consolation prize for those who won't be able to see it live this decade.

A.H.Black

There is a Downton Abbey marathon on right now - through Sunday, January 1st. I'm watching episode 1.

Skate Talker

Our PBS started on Boxing Day (Dec 26th) with 3 episodes/night and will run all the rest back to back starting New Year's Eve

Skate Talker

Never did get Call The Midwife Christmas special on my PBS, sigh. Just watched a BBC version I found on You Tube. Quality wasn't great and picture was reduced by a very large framing, but thankful I got to see it at all.

A.H.Black

Though I enjoyed the 1996 version, I didn't think it was perfect. I enjoyed the June Allyson, Elizabeth Taylor version just as much - as well as the Katherine Hepburn version. As with the myriad of Jane Austen productions, there is always room for a new interpretation of a classic for a new group of readers/watchers. Masterpiece Theater has a well deserved reputation for producing great versions of timeless classics. I look forward to seeing the next interpretation of Little Women.

LilJen

Reaching out with my hand sensitively
Who else is miffed that PBS online programs are now viewable ONLY if you're a dues-paying member? I guess it makes sense, but I used to be able to watch everything that had aired, after a certain period of time had passed.

clairecloutier

We're okay with the dues, as it's not much and I think it's important to support public television. But my husband complained that the streaming was a pain to set up. He just set it up recently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information