All Thing PBS

Jasmar

Yes, Outnumbered, thank you! I love that show. (Off to see if it's online anywhere as I sit here - sick again - looking for something to relieve the boredom)

aliceanne

My local PBS station has 3 channels and they show all of the popular shows Sunday evening - Great Performances, Masterpiece Theater, all of the BBC comedies and dramas. The rest of the week it has obscure arts and crafts or cooking shows. I don't know if it is financial or they just think people won't watch Downton Abbey on Thursday night. To me it would make more sense to have one channel and spread the content out throughout the week.

A.H.Black

Without any references to opinions that should be expressed on the Politically Incorrect page - I enjoyed the Frontline program about the Presidential candidates this evening. I was able to watch both portrayals of the candidates without feeling like Frontline had an agenda in favor or against either one.

lulu

Without any references to opinions that should be expressed on the Politically Incorrect page - I enjoyed the Frontline program about the Presidential candidates this evening. I was able to watch both portrayals of the candidates without feeling like Frontline had an agenda in favor or against either one.

I wasn't home to watch it this evening, but I remember the one they showed in 2008 for McCain & Obama, and I thought that one was very well done.

moojja

I agree, I learned a lot about both candidates.

Cachoo

I watched the second part tonight and saw bits of the first half. I am so impressed by those folks who weathered all of those years of drought. And there are times when I am reminded why FDR is my favorite president. So many people have talked about starving to death during the 30's if it were not for government assistance: We talk about a lot of help the government can provide but we don't talk about starving to death in our time but it certainly was a possibility then. As usual Ken Burns is both interesting and informative.

skipaway

And I too felt it was an excellent series. Kudos to Ken Burns...he consistently puts out wonderful historical pieces.

skatesindreams

I am so impressed by those folks who weathered all of those years of drought. And there are times when I am reminded why FDR is my favorite president. So many people have talked about starving to death during the 30's if it were not for government assistance: We talk about a lot of help the government can provide but we don't talk about starving to death in our time but it certainly was a possibility then. As usual Ken Burns is both interesting and informative.

It's hard to believe that some deride FDR even now, for doing what was necessary to help America to survive the Great Depression and the Dust Bowl years.
I shudder to think what would have happened without the many projects established and carried out for the public good; benefiting the US infrastucture,
They gave meaning, purpose, and a livelihood to millions; who would have had nothing without them.

As usual, Ken Burns brings history alive; and helps the viewer see how events affect the lives of individual citizens.
How important his efforts are, in an era where everyone expects "instant gratification"!

Karina1974

^^^Apparently Burns is working on a documentary on FDR, & IIRC it will be finished in 2014.

Orable

The Dust Bowl was amazing. It really brought to life a time period that was essentially glossed over in my history classes when I was in school. The country was saved because the government stepped in. Today, we continue to eff around with the environment as people have debates over whether global climate change is a real thing. Le sigh.

A less depressing series on PBS is Call the Midwife. I really loved that, even though some of the scenes were too graphic for me to stomach! But, what a great portrayal of such an interesting time in British (and medical) history :)

lulu

Did anyone watch the Frontline special, "Poor Kids" ? I wasn't exptected to be as deeply moved by the film, but the kids featured in the story were so captivating, and that scene where the one family (can't remember their names off the top of my head) are forced to give up their dog before moving into a motel was just heartbreaking.

PBS always has fantastic documentaries, particularly their Frontline series.

jeffisjeff

I watched the first 45 minutes and taped the rest of Dust Bowl. I haven't had a chance to watch it yet. Did they talk much about Henry Wallace? I am kind of fascinated by him.

lulu

^^^Apparently Burns is working on a documentary on FDR, & IIRC it will be finished in 2014.

Sounds fantastic. Ken Burns also produced the documentary on Prohibition, correct? I enjoyed that documentary as well. Like Orable mentioned, it's great to see these subjects, Prohibiton, the Dust Bowl, which were often glossed over or reduced to a two paragraph segment in a history book, being given the attention they deserve.

I'm reading Robert Caro's "The Passage of Power" and I think a documentary about Lyndon Johnson's time as Senate Majority Leader could be really interesting as well, especially since that aspect of his career is less known than his Vice-Presidency or his Presidency.

skatingfan5

Past Prancer's Corridor
Did anyone watch the Frontline special, "Poor Kids" ? I wasn't exptected to be as deeply moved by the film, but the kids featured in the story were so captivating, and that scene where the one family (can't remember their names off the top of my head) are forced to give up their dog before moving into a motel was just heartbreaking.

PBS always has fantastic documentaries, particularly their Frontline series.
I watched "Poor Kids" last night and it was really moving. Some of those children have wisdom beyond their years -- unfortunately learned by living through such difficult circumstances. :( As I watched some of it seemed familiar in a way I couldn't quite put my finger on -- and then I realized that it was in the area/town in which I had grown up.

A.H.Black

Just found the series Shakespeare Uncovered - http://www.pbs.org/wnet/shakespeare-uncovered/about/ Tonight's episode is Sir Derek Jacobi (one of my all time favorites) talking about Richard II. He stared in the title role 30 years ago when BBC did all the Shakespeare plays. I watched that performance and loved it. After Richard II, we get Jeremy Irons talking about Henry IV and Henry V. I am excited to watch it.

Totally off the subject - I always thought Jacobi would have made a great Dumbledore.

smurfy

Missed the Dust Bowl, - anybody see 'Prohibition'. So informative and entertaining doc.
Love Rick Steves. Watch Masterpiece on and off, News hour, American Experiment, Frontline.
Also enjoyed 'Finding Your Roots'. Plus the various muscial shows every now and then.
Wish I had more time!

Cachoo

Just found the series Shakespeare Uncovered - http://www.pbs.org/wnet/shakespeare-uncovered/about/ Tonight's episode is Sir Derek Jacobi (one of my all time favorites) talking about Richard II. He stared in the title role 30 years ago when BBC did all the Shakespeare plays. I watched that performance and loved it. After Richard II, we get Jeremy Irons talking about Henry IV and Henry V. I am excited to watch it.

Totally off the subject - I always thought Jacobi would have made a great Dumbledore.

Oh Ita about Jacobi as Dumbledore. I missed most of the chapters but did see Ethan Hawke in the discussion about MacBeth. I LOVE Henry IV and wish I would have seen Irons talking about it.

I don't know if this is local or national but they having been replaying a series about American musical history and I've loved watching it. Something that caught my eye: In the mid-30's someone filmed "Pal Joey" in color from the back of the theatre. There was no sound with the film but you could see a line of dancers across the stage. One stood out--he just seemed more vibrant and danced with such exuberance. It was the young Gene Kelly. He was magnificent. I am so glad PBS is there. I can't imagine a life lived where the Kardashians is the only choice.

skatesindreams

Last night's segment was fabulous!
It reminded me, yet again, of why I love Shakespeare so much.
"Hamlet" is next.

A.H.Black

Oh Ita about Jacobi as Dumbledore. I missed most of the chapters but did see Ethan Hawke in the discussion about MacBeth. I LOVE Henry IV and wish I would have seen Irons talking about it.

I think you can watch online if you go to the link.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I don't know if this is local or national but they having been replaying a series about American musical history and I've loved watching it. Something that caught my eye: In the mid-30's someone filmed "Pal Joey" in color from the back of the theatre. There was no sound with the film but you could see a line of dancers across the stage. One stood out--he just seemed more vibrant and danced with such exuberance. It was the young Gene Kelly. He was magnificent.

I've seen that clip. Marvelous. It just kills me that there's no original cast recording from when he starred in that show.

Artemis@BC

Derek Jacobi is a favourite of mine too. I haven't watched those 2 episodes yet, but I did watch the previous 2. The Ethan Hawke one was okay -- I have nothing against him but he doesn't seem the right choice for this particular exploration (although I did like his Hamlet). He's a little too "oh, gosh, really?" -- and the scenes of him broodily roaming the streets of New York in his hipster parka were just a waste of film. But I really enjoyed all the psycholgical insights into the characters of Mackers and Lady M. -- particularly the psychopathy of murder. Very interesting stuff.

I really enjoyed the Joey Richardson one, though. She focussed on the strong woman characters in the comedies, specifically Viola and Rosalind. The latter not surprising given her mother's famous performance in that role. Great episode.

Looking forward to watching the rest of the series. Derek Jacobi and Jeremy Irons for sure, but also David Tennant! :cheer:

I think one of the things this series is doing particularly well is showing how universal -- and contemporary -- Shakespeare's themes are.

leesaleesa

I was in Iowa/Illinois in November, and remember driving past a really seedy looking hotel called "America's best Inn". Everytime we drove by it, we called it "America's worst Inn". I saw "Poor Kids" on PBS, and lo and behold, that poor little girl who collected cans had to live there.

PDilemma

I'm reading Robert Caro's "The Passage of Power" and I think a documentary about Lyndon Johnson's time as Senate Majority Leader could be really interesting as well, especially since that aspect of his career is less known than his Vice-Presidency or his Presidency.

I got to hear the historian of the Senate speak on that topic in LBJ's former senate office (which he retained as VP because the VP's office is not as ornate as it was) at a conference a few years ago. Absolutely fascinating stuff and would make a great doc.

ioana

Irons was brilliant in Henry IV for the Hollow Crown series. Bitchslapping Hal is still one one of my favorite moments :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctSiq-J2-7A

Someone has actually uploaded the entire series on youtube, but I highly recommend Henry IV. Irons, Simon Russell-Beale, Julie Walters, and even Lady Mary (Michelle Dockery from Downton Abbey) put in an appearance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtnCWGPUsfo

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information