All Thing PBS

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by A.H.Black, Oct 1, 2012.

1. emason

emason Well-Known Member

I didn't like the book that much either, but felt the opposite of you. I thought the mystery was well done, but that everything else did not in any way capture Pemberley or the Darcys; I thought it was bad fan fiction. I am, however, looking forward to seeing it.

2. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

I'm hoping I'll be able to watch it via the PBS app on the Apple TV because we don't have Dish anymore, and my antenna doesn't get PBS. Plus, I need to be able to watch it on-demand. It's too difficult for me to see things live. :p

3. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

For me it was the 60 pages of trial details and exposition-resolution that did me in on the mystery front -- way too much tell, not enough show. But I think that problem could be resolved nicely in a TV adaptation.

4. Peaches LaTour

Peaches LaTour Well-Known Member

Apparently, BBC America is going to start showing the PBS production of Sherlock Holmes in November.

5. Artemis@BC

Do you mean Sherlock? The BBC series starring Benedict Cumberbatch & Martin Freeman? (Which has aired on PBS but is not a PBS production.)

6. viennese

viennese Well-Known Member

I will watch Death at Pemberley. I love Anna Maxwell Martin - she's been so good in several PBS series.

Jubak likes this.
  7. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

viennese, Wyliefan and dinakt like this.
  8. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Thank you!
    I am looking forward to "Wolf Hall" adaptation. Tried to read it, but as it is mostly based on extended dialogues, it lagged for me and I dropped it... but have since wondered if I should give it another go. Perhaps BBC makes a stellar adaptation, the "Times of Henry VIII according to Cromwell" is an intriguing prospect.

skatesindreams likes this.
  9. 4skating

4skating Member

10. dardar1126

11. dardar1126

12. dardar1126

13. Artemis@BC

I'm really looking forward to Worricker on Masterpiece this Sunday: it's a followup to Page Eight from a few years ago, the spy drama starting Bill Nighy. Two of my very favourite things together in one package.

I just picked up Page Eight from the library and am going to try to find time to watch it again before the new episodes begin. I remember liking it, but I don't remember any details about it at all ...

There will be two, 2-hour episodes beginning this Sunday.

(Edited to correct spelling of Worricker.)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
  14. jlai

jlai Title-less

The whole time I watched my main question wasn't: who is the killer? It was: When will Mrs. Darcy have something decent to wear?

15. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

What, you're not into dressing to blend in with your wallpaper and your couch? ;)

16. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

I found it sort of confusing and rushed. It took me till part two to sort out Fitzwilliam, Darcy and Wickham. I'm not up on my British actors and I found them all sort of running together for a while. Then it sort of rushed along; not taking time to settle, or define character. The part that really bothered me was Elizabeth jumping up on the scaffold at the end declaring Wickham's innocence. That scene plus the bedroom scene would have made Jane Austen turn over in her grave.

For me the characters were often wrong. Elizabeth didn't sparkle and she wasn't allowed any wit. Lydia came off way to0 self-aware, and even sympathetic in the end. Wickham was too sympathetic as well.

17. viennese

viennese Well-Known Member

I can cope with sexy Austen. The Andrew Davies adaptations are fairly racy.
    But Elizabeth jumping up on the scaffold and setting it all straight, that was...over the top.

18. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

This is excellent
    One more episode, this coming Sunday,.

19. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Well-Known Member

Luckily for me, my PBS station showed Page Eight a week before the newer episodes. I did not even know it was so old, though obviously there was a gap between lensings.

20. dardar1126

21. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

That line-up explains why I watch PBS so much!

22. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

I'm both looking forward to, and dreading, the new Poldark. I just hope that they do the books, and the scenery justice.