All That Skate vs The Ice: Which was the better show?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by kwanatic, Aug 1, 2013.

?

Which was the better show?

Poll closed Aug 8, 2013.
  1. ATS

9 vote(s)
    69.2%
  2. The Ice

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  3. Skating shows suck...

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Now that the two biggest ice shows of the season are over, which one was better? All That Skate or The Ice?

Note: PLEASE don't turn this into another Yu-Na versus Mao thread. Vote based on the show (skaters, numbers, theme, etc.) and not who starred in the show.

All That Skate
    Opening Number: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiEnP00B8_A
    Closing Number: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s3HshtDTjs

I liked that they took a theatrical approach for the show. The production value continues to improve every year. I liked the live music (singers) and the visual effects as well (pyro effects, etc.). However, to me, going with Les Miserables ("The Miserable Ones") as the theme for the show was an odd choice. It's not a happy theme and for that reason the show felt kind of solemn and downcast which is different for ice shows b/c most tend to go for energy and fun. ATS was more artistic, dramatic and theatrical than it was a "feel good" kind of show this year.

The Ice
    Opening Number: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HmVtMGkpaM
    Closing Number: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YA5s6_LEzqk

I felt like this show was more in line with what I expected. I thought the opening numbers and all of the group numbers were very nicely done and a lot of fun. I like how the girls and boys had separate numbers that were fun and entertaining as well as the little impromptu performances (ex: after Mirai's program she did a quick change on the ice and then she, Gracie and Kaitlyn did a quick and fun number). I also really enjoyed the way they ended the show by breaking the cast into groups and performing different numbers. It gave each skater a chance to shine a little. I adored Mao and Jeffrey's number; it was so cute and fun! Lots of energy, lots of smiles, lots of fun...definitely what I expected and look for in a show like this.

I thought both shows had excellent casts and both were executed very well. In the end, I have to pick The Ice over All That Skate simply because IMO The Ice looked like a much more fun, exciting and entertaining show. The Ice felt more like an ice show; ATS felt like theater on ice. Both were great but when it comes to ice shows I prefer the cut loose/let-your-hair-down fun over sad and dramatic theater. If ATS went with a happier or at least a less depressing Broadway show I think I would have enjoyed it a little more.

Just my opinion. Thoughts?

2. HVS

HVS Member

I think this topic is worthy of discussion.

Based on the overall production quality: ATS is the best in the world. I mean just look at the specially installed rink, the light, the stage, the orchestra, the skater/audience services ... are all the best.
    Based on the cast: Hmm, The Ice win this easily even that show itself isn't the best, but ATS has somewhat average cast than most of the world class ice show. The main reason because all the spotlights are on Yuna, Korea media just don't care about anything/anyone beside her, although Korean fans seem passionate to every skaters but the gap between them and Yuna still too big. Unlike Japanese, while they obviously love Japan skaters most but they are generally give their support more equally to everyone. Because all Korean care is Yuna after all, ATS managers don't tend to invite too much world class skaters in once, they has spots for some newbies and Korean skaters every year.
    Based on the energy of the crowd: ATS is the best again. Because most of Yuna's fans are young adults and teens so they are really loud and crazy. The ice show also has the rock concert feeling.

ATS 2014 is much better quality than 2013 in overall, except the cast :scream:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  3. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

of course you're going to pick The Ice.. :rolleyes:

4. zebraswan

zebraswan Active Member

I'd pick Artistry on Ice over either of them, just based on the calibre of talent and my personal taste. Plus, there were no cheesy Disney numbers. Then All That Skate. The Ice did not have an appealing lineup to me at all. I respect Mao and I would have probably enjoyed the dance battles, but for the most part, I either dislike or am totally indifferent to most of the cast.