"All That Skate LA" to air Sunday Oct. 10 on NBC

Discussion in 'TV ALERTS' started by HisWeirness, Sep 8, 2010.

1. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Or are 12 years old. :lol:

BittyBug and (deleted member) like this.
  2. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

I was at the show and there were a fairly vocal group of Johnny fans who attended. Johnny has some rabid fans out there. I just don't see how that is relevant to anything being discussed here. His performance of Poker Face was weak, and people have every right to comment on that.

Overall, I have to say that I was pretty impressed with the telecast. The camera angles were well-planned out and the broadcast was well-edited. It was nice to get at least one number from just about every skater; I had feared there would be more chacking. I also understood why they chose the performances they did, since they provided a nice balance between classical and pop and spread the different disciplines around the show. I would have preferred to see Johnny's first number over Poker Face, but if they did that, it would have meant all three men's performances were from the first act (though they could have opted to show Chan's second act number instead of Take Five; Stephane's William Tell Overture would have meant three classical numbers in a row since he went between S/S an S/Z). I also would have preferred to see B/A's second number, because it is new, but that would have meant all dance and pairs were from the second act. NBC really did not have much of a choice with pairs and dance, imo. V/M's first act dance was even more dull than I Want to Hold Your Hand, and, while S/Z's and S/S's first act performances were good (actually S/Z's number was great), their second act performances were highlights of the show and should not have been missed.

I do kind of wish NBC had chacked the B-Boys/Skater for S/Z's first act performance. Does anyone besides me think the dancers schooled the skaters? Other than Stephane's spin, none of the skaters really had any great "tricks." Were we supposed to be impressed with Scott Moir's doing an impression of a human toboggan across the ice?

3. sunny_sari

sunny_sari New Member

Johnny's performance of PF was weak. I certainly didn't argue that. He was much slower than usual and he was moving cautiously. I only stated that it was because he had a crash landing on his hip during practice that made it hard for him to move. It was evident he was in pain. It has nothing to do with him being this crap-ass skater who doesn't train as many would like to argue. His performances in China only 3 weeks ago were amazing.

4. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

Looking back at Michelle's performances as a teenager versus Yuna's, there's no comparision. Michelle's always worn her heart on her sleeve. Yuna leaves me cold. "Meditation" is one of my favorite pieces of music, but I felt nothing watching her skate....

5. amaro

amaro Active Member

I was there in person but still so excited to see Yuna's gala programs on NBC. Yuna's Meditation was just marvelous. Very graceful with great lines as expected from her skating. Totally dig her peppy Bulletproof number. She is blossoming into this gorgeous and versatile show skater and I hope she comes back to LA next year. Michelle is a great skater, but the One left me cold as it did in ATS Seoul. Maybe my expectation was too high. I don't know what it is but the performance always feels so flat. Maybe it is her upper body movements lacking feeling or slow speed across the ice. Seeing after Yuna's Meditation this time, especially so. Winter Song was better, considering she is a grad student, but a little more sparks would improve it.

Belbin & Agosto number was just too iky to me. Here is a nice article about that:

Belbin and Agosto's moment of hysteria
    http://www.universalsports.com/blog...tml#photo week belbin agostos moment hysteria

Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
    RunnersHigh and (deleted member) like this.
  6. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

Some people were just born to be skaters and there are very few of them. Michelle is one of those, cant imagine her doing anything else. Wish she was able to do more shows.

7. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

What happened with Ashley's performance that she deserved to be chacked?

8. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

Her skating was very small (for lack of a better word) and she just doesn't have great performance skills. Her first number was an upbeat, peppy number, but she just couldn't carry it off well. It was a by-the-numbers performance where her movements did not match the music. The second number was a little better, but still rather dull. Ashley is a good technical skater, but she has a long way to go before she is a good show skater. (I feel the same way about Yu Na's Bulletproof; she does not have the personality or dance moves to really carry that routine off, though I do think it played better on TV than live.)

In the original thread, I mentioned my mother's reaction to Ashley. My mom had only seen live skating once -- the free dance at 2009 Worlds -- so I found her response to a show quite interesting. After Ashley skated, my mom commented about how hard it must be for skaters to display enough personality to reach a crowd in an arena like Staples. As soon as S/S did Barbie Girl, my mom changed her mind and summed it up to "some skaters just have 'it'."

9. shine

shine Well-Known Member

10. Doubletoe

Doubletoe Well-Known Member

Damn, why didn't you tell her before she wasted all that money on White House assignments and grad school?! :p

:respec::encore:

11. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

Is that the one with the champagne cork popping suggestively? :lol:

12. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Replaced the display under my name

moved to Great Skate Debate's All That Skate LA thread....

Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  13. query5

query5 New Member

for me impressed with how many numbers i saw, 11 saw versus 9 numbers not seen,
    skaters i was impressed with
    stephane lambiel and michelle kwan
    stephane for making me want to come on us and forget he can't spin and/or jump like he used to.
    michelle for improving since korea and skating as well without skating on tours, shows for the past 4 years.
    yu-na for trying, some of her reaching out will come naturally.
    now numbers i wasn't impressed with but thought who skated well part of that is due to fact skating on shows, tours, competively for past 4 years.
    zhen & zhou, virture and moir,
    german pair team i am neutral.
    didn't like johnny weir number at all --nothing to it.
    the boy's number didn't make sense like the singers or dancers to me they won-only skater who showed them up was stephane.
    the girls she so lovely was okay--
    hero was better her than at korea.
    this is my impression overall just glad we got to see it on tv and how many numbers we saw,
    to me being ogm medalist should have skated better and conncected to audience but due to new system can't and personally think it hurts. but can be overcome look at lambiel-he overcame new system
    they pair and dance ogm skated well just for us didn't connect.
    patrick didn't connect either. you can tell he was just happy to be there.
    wonder what happen to johnny pokerface--didn't like at all.

14. Florizel

Florizel New Member

Oops wrong thread

15. Gwoofer

Gwoofer New Member

Seriously! You can go to school all your life, you certainly can't skate at that level for very long at all. So shoot me :lynch:

Just as a comment on the "chunk" remarks. Of course Johnny was chunky, very few skater (or gymnasts) don't look "chunky" even a few months after the Olympics. Yu Na was also much heavier, ditto Tessa Virtue - who cares, I'm sure they are aware and when it's time to compete they will get it down again.

As to Weir - he is in a niche of his own. People love him not only for his often brilliant skating but also for his "in you face" attitude. More power to him. I'm sure he would have been the first to say he was in pudge form for this one.

I do agree the V/M would make me so much happier with more lyrical a la Olympics Mahler programs than the schmalzier type, I enjoyed them tremendously nevertheless.

Michelle vs. Yu Na - yeah, Michelle's movements were much more deep and powerful, but then again when she competed she usually damned near froze and that was not the same movement (most of the time). Yu Na doesn't excite me, but may in time and her skill, as shown in the Olympics makes up for some of that.

Wish Lambiel could ever have competed like he performs.

S/S - so often so brilliant - but fragile in competition too

16. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Wrong thread, sorry!

17. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I totally disagree that Kwan "damn near froze" during competitions. I think most of her best performances came from competitions.

18. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

You mean you don't remember Kwan's icy, "frozen" renditions of Salome, Red Violin, The Feeling Begins, Aranjuez, and Tosca, to name just a few of her competitive programs? ;)

19. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Yeah, totally cold. :p I think it was always clear that Kwan came alive during competitions and preferred it over show skating. Her drive of competition is what drove her to continue for that elusive OGM all those years.

20. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

She froze extra in rachmoninof, such a shame too could have been legendary.

21. iarispiralllyof

iarispiralllyof Active Member

lol I have a problem with detecting sarcasm apparently