"All That Skate LA" to air Sunday Oct. 10 on NBC

Discussion in 'TV ALERTS' started by HisWeirness, Sep 8, 2010.

1. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

I was going to mention that lift too. It is really good.

2. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Funny, during the competitive season Johnny was criticized for being anorexic skinny, now that he's at a healthy weight he's chunky. I'm sure if he was competing this season, he would be at his competitive weight of under 130 pounds.

3. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I missed Michelle's first skate, but I got to see Winter Song so I'm happy. :swoon:

4. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

IMO, Weir looks much better than he did during last season. He was starting to look frail and wayyyyyyy too skinny. He actually looks healthy now.

5. LadyNit

LadyNit moving right along Staff Member

welcome to the world of snark, kids. if you can't figure out how to play, you'll never have any fun here.

6. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Wow, the sports report afterwards: with a host wearing a brown/red plaid jacket, French blue shirt, and red/green striped tie. Nearly competitive with my dh's purposely uncoordinated outfits.

7. sunny_sari

sunny_sari New Member

Johnny was unhealthy and truly skinny to the point where it was worrisome a few months ago. Anyone who isn't training at an intense level will gain a little bit of weight and Johnny's always had a very muscular bottom half. That being said I can't believe there are actually people calling him fat when he's still so tiny in person and you can literally count his ribs when he has his shirt off.

8. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

So why are you here? :rolleyes: LOL!

OK I had a family crisis and missed this. Anyone know if there is any chance Universal will replay? :(

9. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

I feel sorry for Ashley Wagner, she was the only skater not shown and I don't think that was right. She may not be a medalist but to totally ignore her is so wrong, IMO.

10. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

Seriously. I feel a migraine coming on.

11. sunny_sari

sunny_sari New Member

I know how to play. It's just going to be hurled in the opposite direction. ;)

12. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

'twas not my favorite rendition of "Dream On" either. . .

13. sunny_sari

sunny_sari New Member

Agreed. I actually had a hard time watching him land jumps earlier this year because his legs were so skinny it seemed like they would snap when he came down on them. :(

14. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Thanks for telling us this. We never would have guessed otherwise.

The main thing you seem to know how to do is mindlessly attack anyone who dares to suggest anything remotely negative about JWeir. Sorry, that's about a -3 GOE for snark.

15. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

I was at the show and she was deservedly chacked. She was really out of her league performance-wise.

16. Oreo

Oreo Active Member

I dunno. I was in the audience, and although Johnny did receive a lot of applause it was nothing compared to what they audience gave Stephane. I didn't see "tons" of Johnny signs, either, most of them were for Michelle and Yu-Na.

17. sunny_sari

sunny_sari New Member

Stephane is made for show skating. Those programs he did were electrifying. No question. I'm also in agreement that these weren't Johnny's best performances. He was tons better in China only a month ago. It was obvious he was injured. I can't wait until he pulls out some of his old competition programs too. However there were tons of Johnny signs in the crowd. Maybe it was the area you were sitting in, because a bunch were even caught on camera and in stills. He was second only to Yuna in sign support.

18. overedge

:rolleyes: Were you actually at the show? Are you saying that Oreo who WAS at the show doesn't know how to count?

19. sunny_sari

sunny_sari New Member

Yes because I actually said Oreo doesn't know how to count. I personally know one person who was there who actually took a cell pic of how many Johnny signs were there. There was actually one little section that was littered with them. I can post the pic for you if you'd like. Also there were two fan groups of Johnny's there that brought signs and ran out of them because so many people were requesting them when they passed them out. I counted a ton of Johnny signs during the live broadcast in Korea and NBC's as well.

20. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

Well, after all sign support is the MOST important thing at a show...:rolleyes:

Usually I like Johnny's Pokerface, but you could tell that something was just off in that program. And those shoulder poufs...ick, ick. Go back to the first costume. Wish they would have shown his other programs, but Pokerface is the outrageous one, so of course they go with that. Not a bad skate, not great either.

Patrick Chan - I think I have just become a fan...:encore: As for Stephane, I am in LUUURRRVVE. :cool: He is a born performer, tied with Michelle's Winter Song for my favorite program of the show.

Virtue and Moir: I love that version of IWTHYH; however, the skate was just meh. I agree, can they please do something other than "we are so in love" programs? And would someone get Tessa out of the skating dresses meant for adult skaters my age??? :lol: I understand modesty, but her dresses make her look old. A smoking hot dress would do wonders for her.

Tanith and Ben: Wonderful, wonderful, much fun. I want them to skate forever.

Aliona and Robin were beautiful, but I wish she'd ditch the DWTS spray tan look. Beautiful program.

Shen and Zhao: Gorgeous, sensual, they are my all time favorite pair and this program should tell anyone why. Absolutely wonderful.

YuNa skated beautifully, even with the jump pop. I like Bulletproof, loved the costume but would have preferred it without the jacket.

Michelle, ahh, Michelle. While the first program was not her best, Winter was breathtaking. It is an interest contrast to see her with YuNa and to compare their solos. Michelle, to me, is the hands down best. There was nothing tentative there, she was beaming from ear to ear during every program. You could just tell she loved being there and was enjoying every edge, holding every position, feeling it from her toes to the tips of her fingers, and that is what really sets her apart. That was what really defined the differences between the two of them. Michelle feels every movement. YuNa is an amazing skater and a deserving champion, but she just doesn't have that "soul" (for lack of a better word) that comes out in Michelle's skating.

I was very please that they showed so many programs; I expected less than what we saw. It was a phenomenal show - kudos to YuNa and team for putting together the best skating show I've seen in quite a few years.

21. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

I thought Kwan looked in great shape.

22. soxxy

soxxy Guest

Oh, dear! ;)

23. overedge

Sorry, but I'll take the word of someone who was actually at the show over the word of someone who has a cellphone picture of signs in a single section, taken by a Johnny fan.

24. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

Sorry couldn't resist that one after all those chunky comments :D

25. sunny_sari

sunny_sari New Member

Cool bro, so your argument is what exactly? That there weren't a lot of Johnny signs? Fans? As another poster says I can't imagine why this is so important but if you would like I've mentioned before I can send you several twit pictures that could totally prove the case. He has fans. He puts butts in the seats. Kelly Osbourne, Brad Goreski, Lucian Piane all showed up just for him. Deal.

26. Visaliakid

Visaliakid Well-Known Member

The best part of NBC's presentation was that there was no Tom Hammond, Scott Hamilton and Sandra Bezic to ruin it.

Some of my thoughts on the skating:

Johnny's 'Poker Face' program looked off ... not sure why but not his best for me.

If I see one more slow lovey dovey program from Virtue and Moir I believe I will vomit. Let's hope the new season will see a move in a different direction. They are great skaters and I want them to challenge themselves more.

Stephane - what can you say... a master showman who gives every ounce of his energy and passion for us.

Yuna is not the show skater yet... and as for comparing her with Kwan's show skating ability is extremely unfair at this point. Give her another 5 to 10 years and revisit the comparison again.

Michelle - Loved her Winter Song much more than No One! But oh does she show the passion she has for skating.

Hope we see more Galas like this in the states in the future.

I sent a thankyou tweet to @nbc_sports for not using their skating announcers.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  27. JerseySlore

JerseySlore Active Member

I really enjoyed S/S. Beautiful music, choreography and fantastic visual just worked marvelously. I think I generally enjoy the pairs the most in show skating. They never dumb down technical elements :cheer:
    Maybe it's because show skating is geared toward general public rather than serious fs fans, but I find competitive skating far more enjoyable. Still, the production was phenomenal. I want to see pro competition revived for more serious fans. I don't know how lucrative it can be, but maybe ATS or IMG can put something together.

28. Doggygirl

Doggygirl Well-Known Member

That is an excellent suggestion and I will follow suit.

Jersey, I too enjoy competition way more than show. That said, this wasn't bad show for me. It was nice to see Michelle - she looked happy to be there.

I'm suprised there is not a poll in the Trash Can to determine who is the REAL final and lasting and forever queen - Kim, Kwan, or Johnny. :p (or maybe that was decided over the summer and I missed it? :lol:)

29. overedge

I have no interest in seeing your fanpics, thanks all the same. Again, I'll take the word of someone who was actually at the show.

And if you seriously think it's impressive that one C-list celebrity and two people whose names very few people would recognize came just to see Johnny....well, the best I can say is that you seriously lack perspective.

30. IceJunkie

IceJunkie Well-Known Member

That seriously was the Yu-Na/Michelle show. :lol: