Alissa Ready to Rumble in San Jose

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by halfloopy, Jan 11, 2012.

1. halfloopy

halfloopy New Member

2. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Who wrote that article?.... Because there are like 20 typos in that thing.

Anyways, so we've heard of Czisny... Where's a Mirai interview?!?!?!

3. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

:lol: It was a chore to read. :shuffle: A little proofreading never hurt anyone.

4. halfloopy

halfloopy New Member

I could only find one.

5. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

If she had a sprained ankle at GPF, would it have been legal to inject her ankle with lidocaine or some other local anesthetic? Is that allowed?

6. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

said copyright belonged to George Rossano

7. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

EYS. I like the fact that the article had mostly quotes, and it's always good to hear something upbeat about Alissa, but, yes, a little proofreading never hurts.

:eek:

8. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

About a dozen typos, but a nice article.

I'm not particularly confident in Alissa as a skater. This year she seems really shaky again, so I'm not feeling too good about her repeating. BUT I do think that the judges will do all they can to get her a spot on that team. Alissa, despite her mistakes, scores well with the international judges because they really like her and that will work to her advantage at worlds.

If she skates her SP cleanly, she'll probably end up with a big lead heading into the LP. How she'll hold up is anyone's guess at this point, but I do want to see her skate at least halfway decently (especially if she's awarded one of those spots!).

:slinkaway

9. halfloopy

halfloopy New Member

Maybe the board should be englishgrammaruniverse.net!

But anyway, I hope the confidence is real, and not just talking a good game.

10. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Sounds like no more 3/3 or 3sal for Nationals. Probably a good strategy on her part to lower the content but aim for going clean.

Is the 2axel3toe a good idea for her though? She never had the best 2axels.

11. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

The 3/3 was always a silly idea. She was never going to do it cleanly to warrant the huge risk, IMO. Her 3sal is probably within reach but I don't go to her practices. She needs to focus on maximizing her points, though. 2 lutzes, 2 flips a loop and a toe would be very competitive if she goes clean. She usually repeats the loop but that should be good enough although it could be the difference maker.

12. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

A nice interview with Alissa! Seems like it is a transcription from an audio tape. I heard that Alissa was injured during GP final, but I didn't know much about the details. Kudos to her for still deciding to go out there and skate (after hearing from her doctor that it wouldn't cause further damage to her foot).

Interesting comments from Alissa regarding her coaches, her training, and how she is reworking her programs. I love her comments about competing for the first time at 2002 senior Nationals and watching Michelle Kwan's skate.

Good luck to Alissa at Nationals.

(btw, :lol: re the thread title. Do ladies figure skaters "rumble" like Ali and Frazier?)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  13. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

I hope she does really well in San Jose. I just get so nervous for her though, the way I did when watching Sasha skate... :(

14. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Except she will likely get an "e" call for the flip, and her flip is generally less consistent than her loop.

15. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I think it can be if she's on top of her game. She reportedly was doing good 3t-3t in practices, so a 2x-3t wouldn't be too much of a stretch

16. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I'm disappointed that I didn't see a 3sal from her this season. She doubled one attempt and that was it.

17. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Per Wikipedia, which I'm sure is never wrong :)lol: ) lidocaine is not currently on the WADA prohibited list..

18. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Oh yes, current American ladiezzzz are models of aggressive, powerful skating that make one draw instant comparisons to a warrior.

19. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Is reworking her programs this close to Nats a good move?

20. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Maybe to increase public interest they will have a segment where the ladies go on the ice and engage in a gang fight. Maybe, even invite Harding to serve as a guest referee. lmao

21. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Only if she's allowed to join in the fight and has easy access to an unlimited supply of hubcaps and metal pipes. Updated agility training -with the added benefit of increased ratings :D!

22. halfloopy

halfloopy New Member

There's something there yesterday about Mirai.

23. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

For Scott Hamilton's sake, I hope that Alissa does well in San Jose. We're going to hear some great 'quotable quotes' from him if she performs a perfect program. :)

24. skateycat

skateycat Minecraft Widow

Alissa could skate to Rumble by Link Wray. It's an instrumental, so she could even use it in competition!

25. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Or she could skate to The Rumble from West Side Story.

(Kindly disregard the action in the video.)

26. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

I don't think it is unusual for coaches/skaters to play with the jump layout to see how the skater could potentially maximize their score and still be consistent. And just because they say they are reworking the program doesn't mean they are starting over from scratch either, it could just be like swapping the place where a spin and a combo jump were done. :lol:

I just wish they would add some more (or any :p ) transitions in her long program. I like the music, but the program seems rather barren of choreography except for the footwork.

I'm sure if she skates relatively clean she'll be our first consecutive repeat ladies champion since Kwan.

27. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

It sounds like she is doing her LP similarly to what she performed at TEB w/ a 2x-3t attempt, no 3-3 and no 3sal. But, she had her highest LP score of the season and beat both Kostner and Tuktamysheva in the LP there. So, I don't even think she's really reworking anything ...

28. DimaToe

DimaToe Well-Known Member

My hope is that she goes back to her Winter into Spring LP :saint: Because even at TEB, her current LP didn't do much for me, and this is coming from an Alissa :fan:

29. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Czisny's free program is totally boring and empty. She doesn't have to tweak a lot, but some music edit at the beginning minute to set the mood and some showing of personality would be nice.

Her jumps are scary enough that I am OK with not seeing any choreography or transition before it.

30. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

I agree, Marco. Since Alissa is not -- will never be -- a 'personality plus' skater like Ashley Wagner, Dorothy Hamill or Kanako Murakami, it's best for her to stick to tinkly-piano or New Age music. Even Dr. Zhivago was somewhat in the 'tinkly' category, even though it uses a full symphonic orchestra. My point is that Alissa won't be skating to 'Ride of the Valkyries' anytime soon. :)

But I agree -- even when compared to all of her tinkly-sounding LPs over the years, this season's 'Valse Triste' is indeed bo-ring. She should have dumped the music and the routine after the G-P finals.