Alissa Czisny--Any Updates?

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Ageless, May 2, 2013.

1. 2sk8

2sk8 Active Member

Great explanation, Thanks! Alyssa is certainly pushing it this year, and it remains to be seen what she will be able to accomplish, but it is hard for me to understand how anyone could say she is pathetic at this stage. She is a brave young woman, who is giving her dream another shot - it is her choice to make. As long as she is scored fairly, so as not to take spots from others who are better prepared, she harms no one. (Whether or not that happens is a different issue and not really in her control.) Go Alyssa!

2. loulou

loulou Let It Snow

Let's hope so. She's really nice to watch, and I would love to have her in the field at international competitions.

I think Ziggy is right in Czisny's case: it was bad technique that didn't allow her to land the jumps, and the situation probably made her nervous as well.

Generally speaking, most of the times bad technique (whether it was taught or the natural inclination of the student wasn't corrected) is to blame, rather than nerves - imo. Recently though, the one that seems to be really affected by nerves than anything else would be Sotnikova.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  3. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

littlefeetsk8. you certainly managed to 'dig"/defame several skaters with your post.
    UGH!

4. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

Those who can skate..
    Those who can't judge and are the true "pathetic worn our wannabees" :rolleyes:

I think this is far from the same situation we see with other skaters. Of course she's tentative... it's not been that long since the injury (But I do admit amazement at your ability to Diagnosis by "seeing" LOL!) Most athletes are tentative after an injury.. Heck there's an NBA player who took a year off after his injury even though everyone 'seeing' him said he was ready.

If three years from now she's still out there trying to make Nationals then I might feel different, but judging what is possible this early is kind of premature IMHO. I think she should see what she can do and make the decision based on what her body and advisors tell her not on what folks with no real knowledge of her situation post on message boards! :lol:

((And I am sure there are a large number of skaters you left out of your whine... maybe because they have come back. If the Chinese had heard you they would be missing a gold medal)

5. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

The weaker your technique is, the smaller the margin of error that you have. Also, when under a lot of stress bad (but comfortable) habits might return.

6. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

If that were the case she would have retired after 2011 when she redeemed her horrible 2010 season. She had the perfect chance to go out on a high note with her 5th place finish at 2011 worlds but stayed in the game. That she remained leads me to believe she is desperate to make an Olympic team, enjoys competing or just doesn't know what else to do with her life. I doubt it's about going out on a high note. Skaters rarely take that road, unlike athletes in other sports.

I do think it's funny how Phil Hersh, who loves telling skaters when to hang it up, has remained mum on his pet.

7. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Oh, we've noticed. Every time he starts doing in-depth analysis of the Jets games on his not-a-blog thinggie :p.

I think you're projecting your own view of the situation onto 'everyone.' Maybe Alissa wants to leave the sport without any regrets and one way of ensuring that is to give this season her best shot. That could well mean falling short of the Olympic team, or even of making it to Nationals. In the end, that's her choice to make, as is the way fans choose to remember her. If you cannot look past a few subpar outings, you can focus on that. Alissa had plenty of good qualities to her skating and remembering those isn't a problem for me.
    Also, if you're going to speak for everyone, maybe you should spell AlIssa's name correctly :shuffle:

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  8. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

Sadly, this could be the reason she's still competing. She's been home-schooled all her life and has spent her time in rinks since she was a child.

9. dewey

dewey Member

I don't think this is the case. She has a degree in international studies and speaks several languages. Clearly she has thought about life outside skating. I think she wants to be able to look back and say she at least tried one more time to make the Olympic team.

10. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

It isn't for us to judge the reasons why any skater competes.
    Don't the "armchair psychologists" here have anything better to do?

11. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

At least a portion of her degree was done in actual classrooms too- so it's not like she's some sheltered little flower who has never been in the real world.

I do, however, think it is difficult for skater's to give up on their dream. It is something they have worked so hard for, and just giving it another year or two could make the difference for them. And even if she doesn't want to leave the rink, she could without a doubt earn money coaching. I know not all skaters make good coaches, I've taken a lesson from her, and she's soft spoken- so she'd have to work on that and be a bit more aggressive, but she knows what she's doing and is a good teacher. And even if she isn't a fabulous coach- her notoriety alone could earn her a living as "take from famous coach" until she transitions into something else.

12. sadya

sadya Active Member

Yes, giving up on your dreams isn't easy. We can't blame people for trying. And let's not forget Wylie in Albertville. At the end of his competitive career one last try, nobody expected that.

13. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

I seem to remember, too, that Coughlin said he'd discovered his injury quite early, when it wasn't too terrible. Alissa's was clearly present for a while--months, at least--before she experienced any symptoms, so the damage was most likely worse.

14. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

I wonder what her goals are at this point. From her performances at Regionals, she does look to be far from where she needs to be for Nationals. Sooner or later, that reality has to set in.

Still, I am sure she can handle competitive disappointments. It is the damage aspect that saddens me more. IMO, continuing to train for eligible competition on a twice surgically repaired hip is likely to leave her with arthritis and maybe other permanent damage she may really regret in 10 or 15 years time. I wonder if her object will soon become preparing for a few years of touring and shows, to make some good money that will help her get started on the rest of her life.

At least the USFS won't make that mistake again. Having missed all last year, I don't see any way they could put Czisny on the Olympic team unless she places top 2 at Nationals.

15. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Couglin was "back on the ice" but he also withdrew from nationals/worlds! We didn't see them compete for a long time after his surgery, and pairs does not have the intense jumping requirements of singles which puts a lot of repetitive stress on the hip. Alissa probably needed longer than John. Alissa might be scared of falling again. The second hip injury had to be psychologically devastating. I hope that she can get to nationals.

16. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

That's not true - you will jump again. Tons of athletes (including skaters) have had this surgery, and after a lengthy recovery, they usually feel better than before. Take it easy and you will get everything back. As you mentioned, it is a very serious surgery, so give yourself time. Good luck!

hanca and (deleted member) like this.
  17. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

How is it looking for her at Sectionals? Anybody have a sense for the depth of that field?

18. toddlj

toddlj Livestreams at 1am on Thanksgiving weekend? OK!

I always look to Sylvia for such questions. :)
    http://unseenskaters.wordpress.com/sectionals/

Based on this she would seem like she has a shot, as long as she can improve on what she did at regionals, but that she might well get left behind. Her top competitors are Cain, Miller, Long and Bell.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  19. Mrs. P

Mrs. P Active Member

Actually it's a tough field, IMO. There are five ladies competing for four spots: Ashley Cain, Hannah Miller, Barbie Long, Mariah Bell and Alissa.

Alissa will need to land some triples, i.e. more than she did at regionals. Mariah's score was barely above Alissa's but that's not even her best performance. Her ISU SB is 153.17. Ashley Cain looks pretty good, based on her performance on Nebelhorn.

The biggest question marks to me is Hannah Miller and Barbie Long. Both Hannah and Barbie skated poorly at JGP, but judging from her recent regional performance, Barbie looks like she's on her way back.

I'm not so sure about Hannah, but sectionals are at her home rink, so perhaps that might present some advantage.

20. toddlj

toddlj Livestreams at 1am on Thanksgiving weekend? OK!

Thanks Mrs. P., you're right of course, I edited since my initial post.

21. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I really wish the USFSA would've sent a 2nd lady to Ice Challenge from Midwesterns. All the ladies mentioned deserve to be at Nationals

22. littlefeetsk8

littlefeetsk8 New Member

Correction, there are 14 Ladies competing for 4 spots....;) And yes, it is a very tough field and noone wants to be counted out:)

23. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Alissa Czisny skated in the Disson holiday-themed show in Florida last night - backstage pic tweeted by Disson Skating: http://pic.twitter.com/T6Zvj0opMB

Martina McBride tweeted:
    4 hours ago
    "Singing with Alissa Czisny skating beautifully. At the @DissonSkating show. It airs on NBC December 1 from 4-6 EST" http://instagram.com/p/ghDaNyE5lh/

24. gstrain

gstrain New Member

I was at the Florida show in Jacksonville on Saturday night. I wish Alissa the best of luck at Sectionals and a full recovery, but her skating looked rough. Her spins are still beautiful, but the jumps just weren't there.

25. Flying Camel

Flying Camel Member

What jumps did she attempt?