Alissa Czisny--Any Updates?

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Ageless, May 2, 2013.

1. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update on Alissa, sounds like she's doing FABO! :smokin:

Sometimes having an injury and sitting out a season or part of a season is a good thing and the skater comes back renewed/refreshed and better than ever. Plenty of examples in figure skating to support such a statement ~ Michelle Kwan (stress fracture in foot, sat out 1997 GPF), Sasha Cohen (stress fracture in back, sat out 2001 Nationals), Midori Ito (broken ankle, sat out 1985 Worlds), John Coughlin (torn hip, sat out 2013 Nationals & Worlds), Courtney Hicks (leg injury, sat out 2012 Nationals), and on & on...

Here's hoping Alissa comes back better than ever (like those aforementioned) and fights for a spot on the 2014 Olympic Team! :hat1:

2. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

We're not talking about handing out spots on the Worlds team here, just getting into Nationals. From there, all the skaters still have to prove what they can do today. It just makes sense to let skaters with recent accomplishments focus on their training and plan their schedules to optimize their preparedness, rather than going off to these small-time qualifying events. (And please, don't try to argue that US regionals are not small time. Yes, for the kids and skaters with no results they are a big deal, but for skaters with senior international results, these are small.)

3. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I kind of understand the idea of giving Alissa a bye to Nationals. Because Alissa going through Regionals and Sectionals means an unknown skater isn't going to get the chance to go to Nationals.

Unless she has another tragic program where she falls and cannot get up; Alissa will make it through qualifying to Nationals. Her spins and PCS will carry her there, regardless of jump content. Because USFS does not qualify on past reputation, she will literally be taking someone else's spot. Sure, that skater had no hopes of being anything but bottom of the barrel, but making it to Nationals is a huge deal for most skaters.

So I understand why Alissa has to qualify, but I feel real bad for whomever is 5th in her region, and even worse for whoever is 5th at sectionals.

4. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

Well, those skaters will just have to work really hard to make it. It'll raise the competition level for everyone.

5. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Midwestern Sectional Senior ladies' competitors this November could include Ashley Cain, Hannah Miller, Mariah Bell, Barbie Long, Czisny, Flatt...

I wouldn't have an objection if USFS decided to give a Sectional bye to 2-time National champ Alissa by assigning her to compete at Ice Challenge in Graz, Austria, in order to attain the minimum scores for the Olympics/Four Continents.

Relevant excerpt from: http://espn.go.com/olympics/figures...5611/johnny-weir-sochi-not-registering-season

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  6. jlai

jlai Title-less

Same rule should apply to all USFS competitions.

USFS already allow recent accomplishments take into account -- a top five finish at nationals past year. Maybe you want reputation to be a bigger factor--that's where we disagree and we'll have to leave it there.

ITA There's no need to make a new rule at all. The Czisny team is not asking for exceptions either.
    I understand the push to give byes to all top skaters so more skaters can qualify for nationals. But I think cost is a factor and I sure am not footing the bill Nationals tickets are expensive enough as they are :slinkaway:

7. smileyskate

smileyskate New Member

Are there any vids of her latest competition?
    Thanks!

8. Stephanie

Stephanie Well-Known Member

Good God, that is a ridiculously tough field. At least the lovely Kiri Baga has switched to Easterns

9. jlai

jlai Title-less

I thought there was talk about Czisny getting a senior B around the time of sectionals? If she does well at regionals I suspect that may happen.

I hope M Bell makes the jgpf, for the sake of the sr ladies at MW

10. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

The USFSA may strategically want to assign 2-3 ladies to Ice Challenge just to clear the field a bit. A move like that wouldn't surprise me at all because as an example, 3 US pairs were assigned to Ondrej Nepela. I wouldn't doubt that one of the ladies assigned would be Czisny.

11. Skittl1321

Okay, I take my statement back. That is a much tougher sectionals than usual. Alissa will need her jumps.

12. Sylvia

Alissa won the Eastern Great Lakes Regional Senior Ladies event today with a total score of 145.12 (50.23 SP, 94.89 FS) and has advanced to Midwestern Sectionals in November.

EGL Senior Ladies protocols:
    SP: http://www.usfigureskating.org/lead...14_eastern_great_lakes_regionals/SEGM019.html
    Czisny (22.75 TES/28.48 PCS, -1 ded.): 3Lz<< fall, 2T+2T (-3 GOE because a triple is required), 2A (-0.67), all 3 spins were level 4, level 2 step seq.
    FS: http://www.usfigureskating.org/lead...14_eastern_great_lakes_regionals/SEGM022.html
    She landed mostly doubles today, including both 2A (with + GOE) and 3Lz< fall; 2 of 3 spins were level 4, level 2 steps. 41.63 TES/54.26 PCS, -1.

(Aside: Flatt has switched to the Central Pacific region, much more convenient to Stanford, and will not be competing out of SW/Mids after all.)

ETA a photo of a smiling Alissa wearing her EGL gold medal: http://instagram.com/p/fN3T2glU-O/ (ETA: tweeted by an EGL Novice ladies' competitor and junior instructor at the Louisville SA host club)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  13. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

Considering the severity of her injuries Alissa should be proud of this result. However looking at those protocols it seems evident that Sochi seems rather unlikely.

14. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Good to know Alissa got through regionals. Best of luck at sectionals!

I'm glad Alissa is back and if I had to pick a sentimental favorite to give that 3rd spot to it would be her. Having said that, those kinds of scores would not even get her into the top 10 at nationals. There's still about 3 months or so left until nationals but I'm wondering how much can she improve in that amount of time.

15. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

I'm hoping that she was just playing it safe at Regionals (and knew she could do so and still advance to Sectionals). Hoping she is able to up her content without injuring herself.

16. Skittl1321

That's what I'm hoping - she knew she'd be fine with just doubles. Interestingly, ignoring the impact it would have had on PCS and well-balanced rules, if she did her freeskate without any jumps at all, she would have been 4th in the free; and still moved onto sectionals.

17. NadineWhite

Copied & pasted my reply from the K&C here:

Great news for Alissa. :) She doesn't want to rush it like she did before and cause further injury and sit out time. One step at a time, which she is doing nicely. Her spins, well-choreographed programs, elegance, PCS, and double axels should easiliy qualify her for Nationals, and rightfully so. It's not all about triple jumps after all, and I agree with that. :cool:

18. arcuel

arcuel New Member

Umm...do you realize that she's going to be up against Ashley Cain, Hannah Miller, Mariah Bell, Barbie Long and Kiri Baga? That's not going to be easy at all. She'll need triples.

19. jlai

jlai Title-less

Kiri Baga is in another sectional, I think?

Yes, Midwestern is a tough field, and Czisny will need a couple of triples.

20. Sylvia

Yes, New England region/Eastern section.

21. arcuel

arcuel New Member

Is she? She was in Mids last year.

edit: okay, that's good to know. That's one less person for Alissa to worry about. The thing is, I think the other 4 girls really deserve to be at Nationals too. I would hate to see one of them knocked out by someone who can barely jump.

22. NadineWhite

I understand both of your points and would agree if it were any other skater but Alissa. I honest to God believe she doesn't need triples yet (only at Nationals). Reason: she's one of those skaters that has it all ~ fabulous spins, perfect carriage, elegant ballerina type figure ideal for figure skating, lovely high double axels, nice step sequences, nice speed with no pumping, beautiful spirals, connection to the music, well-choreographed programs, mature sophisticated lady with likewise skating. And let us not forget she's a 2-time National Champion (well-earned), World Team Member, and has been on the senior circuit for over a decade with a hard-earned celebrated reputation. That does not go unnoticed by the judges, and as I stated earlier it's not all about triple jumps, nor should it be. :cool:

Those other girls listed are nice, but imho none of them come close to Alissa in skating skills nor maturity. Nor are they consistent either. Therefore *I* sincerely believe that Alissa should have no problem finishing 4th or higher and guaranteeing herself a spot at Nationals. It'll be good to see her there again, apropos, as well as the other 2-time National Champion (i.e. Ashley Wagner) and any other past National Champions that may show up. :)

ps: can't wait to watch it on IN, as they've showed Sectionals for the past year or so now. :encore:

23. jlai

jlai Title-less

It may be too early to say Czisny "should have no problem finishing 4th". When healthy, Miller, Long, Cain and Bell can score 150+. If Czisny doesn't plan triples, she'll have to rely on someone to make mistakes, and I don't want any girl to fall because I like all of them. :( And I want Carly to do well too.

Re: non-jump elements, I think some girls may be faster than Czisny, and Cain has very good, powerful 2As to go with her strong skating. How tough the caller is can play into things--a couple of girls here do occasionally have URs.

This week's jgp will tell us where Miller is at; right now I guess Cain, Bell and Miller for qualifying. Carly and Long need to bring their best to compete. Czisny could use a triple or two.

24. arcuel

arcuel New Member

I wasn't saying that the other girls are better skaters than Alissa. I was just trying to say it won't be easy for her to beat them. Other than Miller, they've all scored higher than Alissa this season and they weren't even clean. I know it isn't all about triple jumps but it still doesn't seem right to me for someone with only doubles to go to Nationals based on reputation. And I say this as someone who's a big fan of Alissa and wants her to make it. But I want the other girls to make it too. I wish they weren't all in the same section :(

25. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

I would not say Alissa has it all since she's a average jumper at best on her good days and doesn't skate with a lot of speed. Her double axel is just average too. And shouldn't a skater who has it all also be a good competitor? And there is still debate too if she even deserved to have won Nationals in 2009.

26. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

Agree.

I've seen many a scary 2A from Alissa in practice and competition -- and this is when she was healthy.

I really enjoy her skating and absolutely respect her perseverance, but there's a reason why triples are mandatory in the short at the senior level. Yes, choreography, skating skills, spins, moves are all important, but so are jumps.

If she doesn't have at least two different, solid triples (because that's what is required), I'm afraid she won't make the cut.

27. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

I wish her well, but with the depth of the field this year, it seems unlikely she will make the team even with 3 spots available. She is never at her best when skating cautiously and that is what she is doing now to avoid further injury.

28. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

I think Alyssa has more depth to her skating if she never lands a jump than many skaters do who reel off triples. She is an artist out there. And what spirit and heart!

I wish she could go to the OLYS....just because.

29. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Does she have any Slovak blood and is it easy to acquire citizenship quickly? Just sayin'. Slovak ladies didn't do too well at the recent Nepela Trophy, yet Slovakia earned a spot through Simancikova (who was much stronger last spring than she is now).

AxelAnnie and (deleted member) like this.
  30. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Well the last name Czisny does sound rather eastern european so who knows maybe she does have some Slovakian blood in her.