Alissa Czisny--Any Updates?

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Ageless, May 2, 2013.

1. arcuel

arcuel New Member

Is she? She was in Mids last year.

edit: okay, that's good to know. That's one less person for Alissa to worry about. The thing is, I think the other 4 girls really deserve to be at Nationals too. I would hate to see one of them knocked out by someone who can barely jump.
  2. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

I understand both of your points and would agree if it were any other skater but Alissa. I honest to God believe she doesn't need triples yet (only at Nationals). Reason: she's one of those skaters that has it all ~ fabulous spins, perfect carriage, elegant ballerina type figure ideal for figure skating, lovely high double axels, nice step sequences, nice speed with no pumping, beautiful spirals, connection to the music, well-choreographed programs, mature sophisticated lady with likewise skating. And let us not forget she's a 2-time National Champion (well-earned), World Team Member, and has been on the senior circuit for over a decade with a hard-earned celebrated reputation. That does not go unnoticed by the judges, and as I stated earlier it's not all about triple jumps, nor should it be. :cool:

Those other girls listed are nice, but imho none of them come close to Alissa in skating skills nor maturity. Nor are they consistent either. Therefore *I* sincerely believe that Alissa should have no problem finishing 4th or higher and guaranteeing herself a spot at Nationals. It'll be good to see her there again, apropos, as well as the other 2-time National Champion (i.e. Ashley Wagner) and any other past National Champions that may show up. :)

ps: can't wait to watch it on IN, as they've showed Sectionals for the past year or so now. :encore:
  3. jlai

jlai Title-less

It may be too early to say Czisny "should have no problem finishing 4th". When healthy, Miller, Long, Cain and Bell can score 150+. If Czisny doesn't plan triples, she'll have to rely on someone to make mistakes, and I don't want any girl to fall because I like all of them. :( And I want Carly to do well too.

Re: non-jump elements, I think some girls may be faster than Czisny, and Cain has very good, powerful 2As to go with her strong skating. How tough the caller is can play into things--a couple of girls here do occasionally have URs.

This week's jgp will tell us where Miller is at; right now I guess Cain, Bell and Miller for qualifying. Carly and Long need to bring their best to compete. Czisny could use a triple or two.
  4. arcuel

arcuel New Member

I wasn't saying that the other girls are better skaters than Alissa. I was just trying to say it won't be easy for her to beat them. Other than Miller, they've all scored higher than Alissa this season and they weren't even clean. I know it isn't all about triple jumps but it still doesn't seem right to me for someone with only doubles to go to Nationals based on reputation. And I say this as someone who's a big fan of Alissa and wants her to make it. But I want the other girls to make it too. I wish they weren't all in the same section :(
  5. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

I would not say Alissa has it all since she's a average jumper at best on her good days and doesn't skate with a lot of speed. Her double axel is just average too. And shouldn't a skater who has it all also be a good competitor? And there is still debate too if she even deserved to have won Nationals in 2009.
  6. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

Agree.

I've seen many a scary 2A from Alissa in practice and competition -- and this is when she was healthy.

I really enjoy her skating and absolutely respect her perseverance, but there's a reason why triples are mandatory in the short at the senior level. Yes, choreography, skating skills, spins, moves are all important, but so are jumps.

If she doesn't have at least two different, solid triples (because that's what is required), I'm afraid she won't make the cut.
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  7. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

I wish her well, but with the depth of the field this year, it seems unlikely she will make the team even with 3 spots available. She is never at her best when skating cautiously and that is what she is doing now to avoid further injury.
  8. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

I think Alyssa has more depth to her skating if she never lands a jump than many skaters do who reel off triples. She is an artist out there. And what spirit and heart!

I wish she could go to the OLYS....just because.
  9. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Does she have any Slovak blood and is it easy to acquire citizenship quickly? Just sayin'. Slovak ladies didn't do too well at the recent Nepela Trophy, yet Slovakia earned a spot through Simancikova (who was much stronger last spring than she is now).
    AxelAnnie and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Well the last name Czisny does sound rather eastern european so who knows maybe she does have some Slovakian blood in her.
  11. NadineWhite

Anybody that knows me and my posts over the years knows that I'm not Alissa Czisny's biggest fan, but that all changed when she miraculously started landing 6/7 triple programs a few years ago and was becoming consistent for the first time ever in over a decade. My respect for her went up immeasureably. She proved that old adage correct "never give up". Her perseverance is admirable, it's just too bad that her body had to go and get injured. Yet as always she doesn't give up.

I believe in Alissa and believe she will make it out of Sectionals and into Nationals on the strength of her skating. And I sincerely believe, for Sectionals, she doesn't need triple jumps in order to grab that last spot nor should she. As long as she skates clean with a beautiful well-constructed program, emotion, gorgeous spins, nice 2axels (with 2toes added on), et al, she should make it. Her skating really is head & shoulders above those other young un's listed and rightfully so. Jmho as always. :)
  12. reese

reese Well-Known Member

I would be stunned if Alissa makes it to Nationals with zero triple jumps. Mids is the toughest field and even with Kiri gone, she would need help from the others already mentioned to sneak into 4th.
  13. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

She may be conveniently assigned to some international during Sectionals. She would have to obtain a min score anyway to have a shot.
  14. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I would love for that to happen. That way she still has a chance to make it to Nationals without running the risk of having one of the other strong skaters at Mids to miss out.
  15. oliver

oliver New Member

What international competitions are there in NOvember?
  16. ManiDani

ManiDani New Member

I think Ice Challenge is in November.
  17. jlai

jlai Title-less

I think if Czisny has demonstrated competition readiness she would have been assigned already. I guess she hasnt proven readiness yet. What is the min she is supposed to get?
    If anyone in the field deserves a sr B it is Cain who is in v good shape and it also results in an easier MW field
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  18. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

As much as I love Czisny, it would be utter insanity to send her to an international competition when she's not capable of landing any triples. :shuffle:
  19. maureenfarone

maureenfarone Active Member

Ice Challenge Graz is scheduled 19-24 November this year. It directly conflicts with Mids.
  20. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

4CC/Olympic TES minimums are LADIES SP 20.00 FS 36.00.

I agree with this!
  21. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Cain was already at Nebelhorn. Spread the wealth! ;)
  22. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

Cain was already assigned to Nebelhorn where she won the bronze medal. I doubt she would get another international assignment at this point. The other ladies at Mids are Bell, Long and Miller, who all did JGPs. It's possible that Alissa could get Ice Challenge. But it wouldn't look good if she did all doubles there and finished off the podium, even if she did make the minimums in the process.
  23. Sylvia

In the past, USFS has rewarded singles skaters who previously medaled in their first Senior B by assigning them to a second one (Messing and Aaron last year, for example). That said, I know USFS usually prefers not to give a bye through Sectionals to singles skaters who don't already have one.

Alissa can still be assigned to a Senior B after Mids (maybe USFS is waiting for her to qualify for Nationals first?).
  24. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I remember reading the last article on Czisny, which stated her team was gunning (hoping) for a slot at Coupe International de Nice at the end of this month. That obviously didn't happen, so I wonder what happened that even Flatt is getting sent instead?

Her choices are a little tough - (1) Sectionals to face a tough field and slight possibility of elimination; or (2) Ice Challenge, to avoid Sectionals but risking embarrassment of a subpar performance which wouldn't do her any good internationally. I sincerely hope she simply dialed it back at Regionals, doing what she had to, and her lack of jumps is not a manifestation of a more serious problem.
  25. Stephanie

Stephanie Well-Known Member

I know neither competition is on the USFS site, but maybe Alissa could go to either the NRW Trophy or Golden Spin of Zagreb, both of which are in early December, provided that she qualifies to nationals from sectionals?

If he manages to get healthy, Lysacek needs a late international, too...although the odds of him ever competing again are of course very debatable!
    Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  26. just wondering

just wondering Member

My guess is she either goes to Ice Challenge in Austria or withdraws from Sectionals. Beautiful, beautiful skater, with exceptional skills in all areas except jumps, at the moment. Regarding jumps, her practice ice (this is confirmed by someone who watched) and programs were not strong at EGL. Austria will give her a bit more wiggle room than Sectionals when it comes to executing jumps on demand. When judged against the other talented girls at Mids, Alissa will struggle to post a top 4 score. I suspect her team and USFS know this by now and are carefully weighing the next step.

Love Alissa and wish her well in all her endeavors. If the fate of healing shines on her, may she reach her Olympic dream!
  27. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

I will be really shocked if they send her to an international because of her lack of triples at regionals.

Didn't they not let Kimmie Meissner go to a GP because she only had three triples (toe, salchow and loop)?

A much more palatable way to clear Alissa's path to Nationals is to give Cain the 2nd Senior B.
  28. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

And Ashley has earned it.
  29. just wondering

just wondering Member

Agreed. I just didn't know if they'd send her to a second Senior B this fall.
  30. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Someone asked if she had Slovak blood. I spent a considerable amount of time searching the internet to try to find out what the national origin of her surname is and came up, to my surprise, empty handed. Does anyone know?
  31. Sylvia

KIDS' QUESTIONS - DECEMBER 2005 ALISSA CZISNY: http://www.usfsa.org/Magazine.asp?id=57&issue=32361
  32. mag

mag Well-Known Member

ITA. If they want to make it easier for Czisny, send someone who is likely to beat her to an international for experience. Czisny doesn't need to exposure and, as much as I like her skating, if she isn't landing triples, she needs to earn her way through Sectionals the same way RF is. (RF was also injured last season.)
  33. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

The problem is the new qualifying rules... that seems to dictate to me that USFS send as many people as possible to get the 'required' score just in case...

Not saying they should or should not send Alissa, but they may want to spread the events around more now.
  34. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Thanks, Sylvia. Should have just asked here rather than searching for so long.
  35. jlai

jlai Title-less

Going by the JGP short program, it's possible Miller hasn't completely gotten back to her old form since her foot surgery. Given that, I think Cain and Bell are likely contenders for 1-2 at Midwestern and the last two spots up for grabs among Long, Carly Gold, Miller and Czisny.

I hope they are all healthy by then and skate their best
  36. littlefeetsk8

littlefeetsk8 New Member

How does Miller's showing at Estonia play into the Alyssa situation..?
  37. Sylvia

My assumption is that Hannah Miller is still getting her confidence back after her injury layoff this summer. Midwestern Sectionals will be held at Miller's home club rink so she will have a lot of support there. It should be a good competition with Alissa, Hannah, Mariah Bell (SW Regional winner), and Ashley Cain (SW bye), plus Barbie Long and Carly Gold, who are among the Senior ladies competing at UGL Regionals in next week.
  38. NadineWhite

Over in the K&C poster chipso1 said that Alissa's Regionals FS is up on IN, so I checked it out and she honestly looks really really good. :)

Her doubles were done with ease, especially her 2axels (+GOE btw), and she still has her innate elegance, posture, spins, and smile. And her dress is nice per usual, though I honestly wish she would have skated to "La Vie En Rose" again (her signature piece imho) in that beautiful breathtaking pink dress. :cool:

http://web.icenetwork.com/video/?content_id=31152773 (she starts at approximately 24:30; btw Yuko Sato's hair is shorter and looks lighter with blonde streak). :)
  39. oliver

oliver New Member

I thought Alissa's double axels looked much better than in the past, but her skating seemed slow and cautious, and her spins were not nearly as fast and impressive. Don't know if that's a result of the new levels requirements or if she's lost her confidence.
  40. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Or maybe (just a thought) it's a result of her just having returned to skating after a bad injury. ;P