Alissa Czisny--Any Updates?

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Ageless, May 2, 2013.

1. Ageless

Ageless Member

I saw some pictures of Alissa in skates at the Figure Skating in Harlem. Did anyone see her skate? I was just wondering what her current status is and if there has been any word on her plans for this year.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Jennifer Kirk recently interviewed Czisny for The Skating Lesson podcast... stay tuned! :)

@SkatingLesson tweeted on April 29:
    "Got great training footage of 2-time US champ earlier today and spoke to her about her comeback and career. #champion" http://pic.twitter.com/mDu8THVPg0

ETA that she is scheduled to perform in "Artistry on Ice" in June (not yet clear if it will be the 1 in Taiwan and/or the 3 in China): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...-Taiwan-(June-8)-amp-China-(June-10-14-amp-16

ETA photo on Kirk's Instagram of her interviewing Alissa: http://instagram.com/p/YtMKQULKgZ/

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  3. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

Funny I was just thinking about posting this thread since I haven't heard anything. Thanks! :40beers:

4. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

I am so excited for Alissa. I look forward to seeing her skate...anywhere, anytime.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Sylvia

Tweeted by TSL @SkatingLesson: Practice footage taken last Monday (4/29) of two-time US champion Alissa Czisny performing her 2014 long program (without jumps): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWiI2BgwTeg

ETA: Czisny's "Gone with the Wind" FS was choreographed this past season by Marina Zoueva, and I believe the first half includes music from "Ice Palace Suite" (derived from the score of the 1960 film, Ice Palace) composed by Max Steiner, who also composed the score for GWTW.

Last edited: May 3, 2013
    AxelAnnie and (deleted member) like this.
  6. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

She's still not jumping? :(

7. marysy

marysy Active Member

That program is really lovely and so well-suited to Alissa; I'm looking forward to seeing it next season. Many skaters do run throughs of their programs without jumps, even in competition practices, so I don't think this is indicative of whether or not she is jumping at the moment.

Thank you Sylvia for posting these links and to the Skating Lesson as well. Any idea when the interview with her will be posted?

8. lilshorty

lilshorty Member

:swoon: Great music choice for her.

9. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

I would love to see her do 2 combo spins and make her layback the closing part of the last combo spin. She would gain .8 for replacing the layback with an L4 change foot combo, plus she would only really need to show 1 or 2 features in the layback part of her combo spin. 4 features in a layback always seems a bit busy. She could also make the 2nd combo a flying spin if she started with a flying back sit. I don't think she did her flying camel in the video. While that might not mean anything, it is a very difficult flying entrance and perhaps it stresses her hip. If she added a 2nd combo spin with a flying entrance, then she could replace the flying camel with a change foot camel for her spin in one position.

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Sylvia

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  11. leafygreens

So glad to hear from her mouth what happened in Appleton! It was a long wait to find out the details. I'm surprised she sat on the ice for an hour though. Her butt must have been frozen.

I love her positive attitude after everything that has happened to her. Most skaters probably would have given up. Her desire to compete this year is a gift.

12. danafan

danafan Canadian ladies über

What an inspiration! I'm pulling so hard for her to get to Sochi.

13. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

So am I.

14. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Great job, Jennifer! Very well done piece.

And Alissa, so heartbreaking but also so inspiring! Best of luck in the coming season. I really enjoyed watching Alissa do a run through of GWTW even without the jumps. She has such a lovely, fluid quality when just stroking around the rink. :respec:

15. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I wish she was doing something a little more...challenging...than Gone with the Wind. It's a pleasant piece of music and can be epic depending on the cut, but I just think someone of her calibre is capable of a real signature piece with something more unusual or mature.

OliviaPug, IceAlisa, tlk and 3 others like this.
  16. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

UHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! I just love her soooooooo much :)

Sooo rooting for her

17. maureenfarone

maureenfarone Well-Known Member

Loved the interview and Alissa's response to the questions. I wish her the very best for the coming season and beyond. Certainly hope to see her compete and Nationals.

18. sadya

sadya Active Member

Yes, I'm looking forward to seeing her compete in the Grand Prix competitions and US Nationals. Next season is going to be one of the most interesting seasons in a long time.

19. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

Here's hoping Alissa at long last makes the Olympic Team and can fulfill her dream. :)

ps: sooooo glad the American women have 3 spots this year, YEAH!!!!

20. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I so badly want Alissa to make the team. Thank goodness for 3 spots, she may have a shot at it.

21. leafygreens

I hope she does not stress her body with the 3-3. If she can get back to anything like 2011 then that's victory enough. She would make the Olympic team with a skate like that.

22. Kelvster

Kelvster Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link to the interview. If theres anyone whom i wanna see on the olympic team, its her!

Btw, i think she chose the same version of gwtw as anna rechnio's for her short programme in 1998. Absolutely loved anna rechnio....

Dr.Siouxs and (deleted member) like this.
  23. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

BTW, was that a 3sal during practice?

24. artsciboy

artsciboy New Member

2salchow.

25. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

A million dittos! I cried through the last half of that interview. What a lovely ending to this part of her story, were she to make the team. I just adore her.........both her skating and her character and charm.

26. Sylvia

What’s the Secret to Alissa Czisny’s Spins? (TSL video extra): http://www.theskatinglesson.com/alissa-czisny-extras/
    Included below the video:

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  27. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

^^ Just as I thought. The video didn't reveal anything.

Some skaters are just born spinners. If all it took was practice, practice, and practice then there would've been more people that can spin like Krieg, Biellman, Ruh, and Lambiel.

28. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

In the video, she says practice, lots of practice. Even someone with great innate ability isn't going to get it without practice.

I took a lesson from her, and the things she told me made me feel like she was obsessive about perfection, repetition, and practice. (In my case it was how to over come one-sidedness as a lefty, when so many things in skating are set up for righties.)

29. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

I wish they had asked her when she thought she might start jumping. Olympic Trials (interviewer)? Don't let the isu get wind of that. The score differences between her spins and most other skaters should be larger than I think it usually is.

30. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Alissa may truly believe it's only practice but I agree that there is a lot of natural ability factoring in as well.