Aliona Savchenko

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by skamper23, Jan 15, 2012.

1. skamper23

skamper23 New Member

2. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Hope she'll be OK for Europeans and Worlds. Wishing Aliona a speedy, complete recovery!

3. maggylyn

maggylyn Well-Known Member

Not to make light of any fall in pairs' skating, but is it normal for there to be any kind of "It is reported...." at all unless it's serious?

(I hope this is not the case!)

4. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Yikes!! I hope she is OK.

5. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

That they reported a fall is very disturbing. I'm betting she was trying the 3A again. I guess we'll hear soon enough if she was injured. :(

6. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

in the german press the fall was confirmed.
    like said before, ingo steuer didnĀ“t tell anything exactly.

afterwards they cancelled an award show that night, wer s/s should be awarded team of the year and steuer coach of the year.

hope the best.

7. kimkom

kimkom Two Pot Screamer

I agree, that the fact it was reported a fall is upsetting. Pairs frequently have nasty falls, so I'll admit I'm nervous. :(

8. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I hope this isn't too serious.
    Pairs' skating is a hazardous business.

9. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Oh, no :( Really hoping for the best for 'em and hopefully the fall didn't lead to any serious injuries.

10. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I'm very worried as well! Ingo usually never mentions injuries with his skaters so I wonder why it got mentioned this time. I really hope she is ok.

11. Imperfect Edge

Imperfect Edge New Member

Oh no, really keeping my fingers crossed that she is ok :(

12. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

Poor Aliona! I hope it is not VERY serious, but I guess it is serious if they had to cancel an award show:(.

13. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Very upsetting news. I pray Aliona is not too badly hurt, and that she will fully recover asap.

14. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

yikes... hope that she is ok- she must be or they woudl have posted more.
    euros will be interesting this year if they are not there =(
    speedy recovery to her

15. jiggs

jiggs Well-Known Member

Oh no! I really hope she is OK. They make everything look so easy, I always forget how dangerious pair's skating is... Get well soon, Aliona!

16. bek

bek Guest

I'm kind of hoping that Ingo just mentioned the fall to explain why they had to skip the awards ceremony. He said something about wanting to get back in line for Euros (right) so hopefully its not that serious. Her and Robin are such a special team; I feel like they are team that won't be fully appreciated until they retire. (not that they aren't appreciated but..)

17. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

makes sense- maybe they did not really want to go :lol: kidding aside- there pair skaters are pretty hearty so if she is hurt you know it was not just a small thing

18. bek

bek Guest

Well absolutely, I'm sure falls happen all the time. I hope she's okay and if need be better to skip Euros and come back healthy for worlds.

19. kimkom

kimkom Two Pot Screamer

http://www.spiegel.de/sport/sonst/0,1518,809222,00.html

Run through Google Translate:

20. bek

bek Guest

21. kimkom

kimkom Two Pot Screamer

There are a few other articles that are saying much the same thing, but have used the word "overthrown" (translated), so I bet the accident was on the throw 3 axel. :(

22. Eislauffan

Eislauffan Well-Known Member

A source close to Savchenko/Szolkowy and Steuer confirmed today that she hurt her knee in a fall on the throw triple Axel but that she plans to resume practice on Monday. So hopefully it is not so serious and only got stirred up because they cancelled the awards show referring to the injury.

BittyBug, LynnW, HisWeirness and 5 others like this.
  23. Morelli

Morelli New Member

A better translation than google can manage is as follows.

Shock for the European and World champions S&Z. Savchenko injured herself on a fall in training on Saturday and, 2 weeks before the Europeans, is having to take a short break. Trainer Ingo Steuer didn't give any further details of the injury. He hopes his pair will still be at Europeans.

Hopefully it works out that way.

24. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

It's certainly their decision to make, but I have to wonder if the 3A is worth the risk. She injured herself in a fall during the GP. I hope she's well by Europeans, but if she's not, I'd rather see her at Worlds.

25. bek

bek Guest

Sigh. Its not like that 3 axel throw is even going to give them a huge point advantage. I understand why they are doing it. They want to create some room between themselves and V/T...It can't be easy anticipating the Olympics being in your top competition's home country, with their home country gearing up to regain their Gold Medal... Heck I'm already torn. The idea of Russia with their great tradition regaining that gold with their great pair in Sochi. Or S/S with their amazing career having that Gold medal. I'm going to be heartbroken for whoever doesn't win. They have every other title under the sun, and an Olympic medal, so I see why to them its worth the risk...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2012
  26. Proustable

Proustable New Member

That, in a nutshell, sums it up.

27. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Oh my, I would be extremely sad if S/S had to skip the Europeans. Wishing Aliona speedy recovery.

28. miffy

miffy Well-Known Member

:wuzrobbed Ditch the 3x! They don't need it if they skate clean... I still think that at this stage Aliona & Robin are better (and I do like V/T.)

29. bek

bek Guest

But they can't assume that they will always be better than V/T. V/T especially are a new team.

To be quite frank a part of me feels if they are going to insist on working on a risk move they might be better of going for the 4 flip. At least it would give them a bigger point advantage.

miffy and (deleted member) like this.
  30. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

I really hope Aliona is not severely injured and I wish her a fully healed, speedy recovery! :)